HR Boards
February 23, 2024, 06:05:48 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, November 13, 2023  (Read 327 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 13, 2023, 12:28:45 PM »

Once again, just carrying over from last week's post, and calling it now... no way I get through all this before next week
 Grin
And I don't have time to post thoughts on what I read... so no idea why I even started this thread  Cheesy Cheesy but I'll fill it in later.
 Smiley

Marvel Unlimited
Marvel Age #1
Marvel Age #2
X-Men #25
Children of the Vault #1
Immortal X-Men #14
Ghost Rider/Wolverine: Weapons of Vengeance Alpha #1

DC Ultra
Green Lantern #4
Superman: Lost #7
Wesley Dodds #1
World's Finest #20
Green Lantern: War Journal #2
Jay Garrick: The Flash #1
Superman #7
Wonder Woman #2

Other
The Shadow (Garth Ennis) v1 - Issues 1-6
Inside the Mind of Sherlock Holmes

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 02:22:13 PM »

I should be able to get through everything in the big two this week and start working my way through the trades at the bottom.

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal X-Men 14
Children of the Vault 1

DC Universe Ultra
Batman/Superman: World’s Finest 20
Catwoman 58
Jay Garrick: The Flash 1
Titans 4
Wonder Woman 2

1st Issue Special #6 - The Dingbats of Danger Street (written & drawn by Jack Kirby)
1st Issue Special #7 - Creeper
1st Issue Special #8 - Warlord (written & drawn by Mike Grell)
1st Issue Special #9 - Doctor Fate
1st Issue Special #10 - Outsiders
1st Issue Special #11 - Codename: Assassin
1st Issue Special #12 - Starman
1st Issue Special #13 - Return of the New Gods

Hoopla
Space Bandits Vol 1 (Collects issues 1-5)
Sharkey the Bounty Hunter Vol 1 (Collects issues 1-6)
Nemesis Reloaded Vol 1 (Collects issues 1-5)
Old Dog Vol 1 (Collects issues 1-6)
Love Everlasting Vol 1 (Collects issues 1-5)

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 04:08:52 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal X-Men 14
Children of the Vault 1

DC Universe Ultra
Catwoman 58
Titans 4
Wonder Woman 2

1st Issue Special #6 - The Dingbats of Danger Street (written & drawn by Jack Kirby)

Hoopla

Already moving fast this morning.  Grin

Immortal X-Men 14 - Excellent!  The second half reveal was my favorite part.  This continues to be the best X-book out there.

Children of the Vault 1 - Awesome! Two of my favorite mutants - Cable and Bishop - team up in this book about the Children of the Vault (another of my new favorite groups).  A good first issue and a winner for the week.

1st Issue Special #6 - The Dingbats of Danger Street (written & drawn by Jack Kirby) - Not one of Kirby’s best but I still like it.  Tom Kings Dingbats I like better.

1st Issue Special #7 - Creeper - this was a fun read in spite of the horrible Firefly villain!  Id love to see more of the Creeper.

1st Issue Special #8 - Warlord (written & drawn by Mike Grell) - I recently read this as part of my regular Warlord reading so I just skimmed it again as a refresher.  Reminds me that DC isn’t releasing any new digital Warlords this month and I miss them!

1st Issue Special #9 - Doctor Fate - Walt Simonson art here is so amazing!  A good issue and makes me want to pick up the full series (for the art alone!).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 07:21:55 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 02:41:21 AM »

MARVEL UNILIMITED

Guardians of the Galaxy 5 - what garbage. What a shite drawn, and drawn out written book about a 'mystery' that is just annoying to not show the readers, while having all the characters CONTINUALLY reference it, piece of junk book. 2 issues saying the fall of Groot be talked about, but NOPE. I read issue 6 to see what hackneyed Groot thing it is, and I quit.

Immortal X-men 14 - cool issue. Always seems like each next issue is a new set direction piece into what the X-men are gonna be. Cool stuff!

Amazing Spider-man 31 - why can't I quit you? Because there's some cool stuff in here that I enjoyed, and want to follow along to see what happens next, that's why!

DC ULTRA 

Warlord 18-22 -all caught up! I just enjoy keeping along with this really old fantasy science fiction story. AND -!-! issue 22 was printed 2 days after I was born. Cheesy

and I"m back into Teen Titans Geoff Johns Omnibus #3.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 05:07:25 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal X-Men 14
Children of the Vault 1

DC Universe Ultra
Catwoman 58

Titans 4
Wonder Woman 2

Hoopla

Batman/Superman: World’s Finest 20 - oh yeah! Glad I’m still here for this new arc!  This is going to be good!

Catwoman 58 - Some parts of this Gotham War are interesting but over all it’s not very good.  At least this brings us closer to the end.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2023, 03:15:44 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal X-Men 14
Children of the Vault 1

DC Universe Ultra
Catwoman 58

Titans 4
Wonder Woman 2

Hoopla

Jay Garrick: The Flash 1 - Boom! I love it! (See what I did there 🙂).  This is going to be a fun series!

Titans 4 - the writing of this is cringe worthy but the overall story still pulls me in.  Interesting twist that we see coming a mile away but I want to see how it works out.

Wonder Woman 2 - I’m not enjoying this but I am still intrigued for some reason.  Let’s see how issue three goes.

1st Issue Special #10 - Outsiders - oh man. This was not good. Way too creepy!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 03:18:26 AM by Jeff » Logged

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2023, 08:46:00 PM »

Alpha Flight #4
Outsiders #1... very hopeful for this maxi-series

I flipped thru the Jay Garrick and Alan Scott minis. I think I will wait and read them online or when they're collected as trade paperbacks.

Wonder Woman... dropped after issue #1
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 01:13:08 AM »

Wonder Woman... dropped after issue #1

I can’t blame you.  I’ll probably be there soon too.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 04:21:17 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 02:53:35 AM »

All finished!!!

MARVEL UNLIMITED

Ghost Rider/Wolverine Omega -meh. For one, I'm just so over Wolverine having had a deep history with every single Marvel character ever. But, besides that, a set up issue for quick in between major over arching plot lines in both titles? I'm just reading to read.

Children of the Vault 1 - yes, Jeff, glad to have read it. Making it more a Cable/Bishop story means I'm on board. But, with what is happening, how is THIS not the big event?!!

Avengers 4 -I'm in for the first trade (6 issues). I feel like this plot story line is going to be a year(s?) long thing, I'm out. Not very interested currently.

DC ULTRA

Titans 4 -I almost forgot about the creep factor. Almost. And...YUCK!  Grin A decent read for me, but not earth shattering

Superman 7 - wut. Lots of stuff spilled out to speak to the next year. I'm for it! I'm glad with PKJ and Williamson,there is so much...depth of planning and events occurring. Art I wasn't the keenest about-a less polished Ed McGuinness, but okay. Lotsa Luthor history here too. Weird

Hawkgirl 4 - again, the main reason I like to read this is to see what Kendra is suffering from her multiple lives and history....and I love the feel of it, and how it probably should be looked at, in that one of her past lives, Shayera, is actually alive and well!!!

Cyborg 4 - a mini I wasn't too keen on has picked up a little steam, mostly because I like the relationship stuff around and involving Victor than I do the actual plot of the book (much like Hawkgirl, as well). But over used villains are overused again....

Wonder Woman 2 - I need to know what happens next. I'm not saying what is going on is GOOD. I would call it ham fisted, and a square peg shoved into a round hole to make the story that King wants to tell be able to fit. For right now, I want to see the results of it. I mean, his Diana is really B.A. -but it's against a story that is being told in all the wrong ways. It's a struggle for me too!

Jay Garrick the Flash 1 -boy do I feel for the BOOM!. Also, I like the mystery of the villain of the story, and well, what an interesting new life for Jay with a daughter and memory returned to him!!!

Green Lantern War Journal 2 - I'm very interested in why and how everything is progressing. Art does a good, well above board job too! I'm in for this title.

World's Finest 20 - Oh, I'm down for this. I've never been down on the title, so I'm just really happy reading this! And Dan Mora art!!

Nightwing 107 - second book I immediately read this week. Really digging the history and lore being written and expounded upon here, and I'm ready for the swashing of the buckle!!!

I used my last hoopla rental on Something is Kiling the Children vol 2-which I ALREADY READ!!!
Very weird thing, this title in trades is hidden in 3 search strings on hoopla. There is one search for vol 1,2,4,5, another for vol 3, and another solitary one for vol 6.
Weird.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2023, 04:22:00 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal X-Men 14
Children of the Vault 1

DC Universe Ultra
Catwoman 58

Titans 4
Wonder Woman 2

Hoopla

1st Issue Special #11 - Codename: Assassin - Good issue. I wonder if it made it to a series?  Nice origin and use of powers.

1st Issue Special #12 - Starman - Ahhhh! I finally got to see the origin of Starman.  Good book by Gerry Conway.

1st Issue Special #13 - Return of the New Gods - And this wraps up 1st issue special and the premise for all the characters in Danger Street. I’m glad I read these as it gives me an appreciation for all the characters.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2023, 03:24:07 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal X-Men 14
Children of the Vault 1

DC Universe Ultra
Catwoman 58

Titans 4
Wonder Woman 2

Hoopla

Space Bandits Vol 1 (Collects issues 1-5)  - What a fun little romp.  And I kept thinking the art looked like Black Science and sure enough…same artist!  I enjoyed this enough to jump into Sharkey next (even though both Perry and Jimmy don’t  care for it).

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2023, 01:06:42 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal X-Men 14
Children of the Vault 1

DC Universe Ultra
Catwoman 58

Titans 4
Wonder Woman 2

Hoopla

Sharkey the Bounty Hunter Vol 1 (Collects issues 1-6) - I didn’t hate it like I thought I would.  It’s a bit of a Lobo knockoff but a little more likable.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS