HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:28:26 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thunderbolts premieres in theaters July 25, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, April 3, 2023  (Read 950 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 03, 2023, 02:20:45 PM »

No new comics on Marvel Unlimited?  Something must be up since they have nothing listed in the release calendar for April.  But maybe they’re just running late for the first time ever.  I’ve been meaning to go back and catch up on the New Mutants book even though I hate the art. I want to see how it plays out with the Shadow King. Might as well do that now.

UPDATE: As soon as I posted this, MU dropped two issues for the week!  I added them below.

Weekly Reader, April 3, 2022

Hoopla
The Magic Order Vol 3 - Collects issues 1-6

DC Universe Ultra    
Batman 133  
Batman & The Joker: The Deadly Duo 5  
The Flash 794  
The Flash One-Minute War: Start The Clock 1  
The Joker: The Man Who Stopped Laughing 6

Marvel Unlimited
Strange Academy Finals 3
Amazing Spider-Man 16 - Dark Web Tie-in
X-Men: Earth’s Mutant Heroes 1 - Might as well see if there’s anything in here that I may not know.
New Mutants 16
New Mutants 17
New Mutants 18
New Mutants 20
New Mutants 21
New Mutants 22
New Mutants 23

------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 02:34:30 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 02:40:41 PM »

Survived moving and my daughter's spring break. Looking forward to chillin' with a few comics.
SOOOOO glad to be back!!!
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 02:52:25 PM »

Well welcome back and hope you had a great time, Rodney.

EDIT - and make sure you get a refresher Jeff on that Magic Order vol3. I'm tellin' ya.
But of course my brain isn't the best soooo... but... well... anyway, hopefully you will remember what you need right from the get go. I sure as hell didn't
 Cheesy

Barely anything new this week, so going to try and get through a lot of Legion!! Poor, poor me
 Grin

DCUltra
Batman 133  
Legion of Super-Heroes #3
Legion of Super-Heroes #4
Legion of Super-Heroes #5
Legion of Super-Heroes #6

MU
Strange Academy: Finals #3
Dr. Strange: Fall Sunrise #2

Other
Slaughter House-Five OGN ... Still.. hahaha!!! I swear, I have read this for what seems like hours and yet I am have only made it to page 60? Am I also getting a wild time-jumping ride?
 Cheesy Cheesy

« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 06:34:31 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 07:53:53 PM »

MU finally finished updating today.  Adding 3 more.

Hoopla

DC Universe Ultra    
Batman 133  
The Flash 794  

Marvel Unlimited
Strange Academy Finals 3
ADD: Venom 14 - Dark Web Tie-in
ADD: Dark Web: X-Men 2
ADD: Timeless 1

X-Men: Earth’s Mutant Heroes 1 - Might as well see if there’s anything in here that I may not know.
New Mutants 16
New Mutants 17
New Mutants 18
New Mutants 20
New Mutants 21
New Mutants 22
New Mutants 23

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 07:56:26 PM »

Survived moving and my daughter's spring break. Looking forward to chillin' with a few comics.

Welcome back! Sometimes you need a vacation to recover from your vacation!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 01:24:08 AM »

Hoopla

DC Universe Ultra    
Batman 133  
The Flash 794  

Marvel Unlimited
Strange Academy Finals 3
Venom 14 - Dark Web Tie-in
Dark Web: X-Men 2
Timeless 1
New Mutants 16
New Mutants 17
New Mutants 18
New Mutants 20
New Mutants 21
New Mutants 22
New Mutants 23

The Magic Order Vol 3 - Awesome arc!  Perry said this might be the best arc so far and I’m inclined to agree.  A lot of great moments and twists in this one and an ending to die for!  Gonna be hard to wait for the next trade!

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 04:59:21 PM »

Welcome back! Sometimes you need a vacation to recover from your vacation!

AMEN!!! Happy to be in the office where it's quiet and mundane.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2023, 01:21:49 AM »

Hoopla

DC Universe Ultra    
Batman 133  
The Flash 794

The Flash One-Minute War: Start The Clock 1  - Didn’t realize this is just a reprint of Flash 790-792, the first three issues of the One Minute War.  Nothing new here.

Marvel Unlimited
Strange Academy Finals 3
Timeless 1
New Mutants 16
New Mutants 17
New Mutants 18
New Mutants 20
New Mutants 21
New Mutants 22
New Mutants 23

Batman 133  - Good issue! Love the parallel Gotham and the differences.  Thumbs up.

Batman & The Joker: The Deadly Duo 5  - I guessed ahead of time who the big bad was going to be before the reveal. But of course, I think we were being led to that guess so it’s probably nothing magical on my part.  Loved the Batgirl parts of the story.  All in all it’s been enjoyable and I’m looking forward to the next issue.

The Flash 794 - Good issue! A lot happens in this one and a great setup for what could be some fun battles next issue!

The Joker: The Man Who Stopped Laughing 6 - I think I’m done here.  It’s just too over the top.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2023, 02:31:24 AM »

Hoopla

DC Universe Ultra    
Batman 133  
The Flash 794

Marvel Unlimited
Strange Academy Finals 3

Timeless 1
New Mutants 16
New Mutants 17
New Mutants 18
New Mutants 20
New Mutants 21
New Mutants 22
New Mutants 23

Strange Academy Finals 3 - I just thought this was a fun issue. Then I saw that ending and HOLY COW! I can’t wait for next issue!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing Spider-Man 16 - Dark Web Tie in - I enjoyed the battle between Peter and Ben but I really don’t care about where we were left in the end.  I think after this week I’m just sticking with the Mary Jane/Black Cat book and the X-Men tie-in,

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2023, 08:08:40 AM »

Batman & The Joker: The Deadly Duo 5  - I guessed ahead of time who the big bad was going to be before the reveal. But of course, I think we were being led to that guess so it’s probably nothing magical on my part.

Eh, sure in hindsight it seems easy, as I think the clues were there, but I don't think it was over obvious. A nice, solid guess on your part I would say.

DCUltra
Batman 133  

MU

Other
Slaughter House-Five OGN

Strange Academy - Well it was bound to happen at one point, yeah?  Grin Enjoyed this issue, but I am not a fan of the way Emily is treating Calvin. And oddly enough, I miss the school aspect of this school, but I still had fun here

Batman - I didn't enjoy this as much as most I think. Could be the art, very F'n Dynamite Comics style (of which I am not a fan), but I don't know, I don't think it all came down to that. I did get slightly more invigorated by the last couple pages so hoping next issue pops back for me

Batman and Joker - Still just a fun ride. Could be the art, very F'n Mark Silvestri style (of which I am a fan) Grin. Yeah, not a powerful ending, as well, okay, sure, that villain is fine, but still a fun book that I look forward to. I will say that
I was not a fan of Joker in the Purple spandex,
but that was just a bit of fun that missed for this ole curmudgeon
 Cheesy

LoSH - Really enjoying the Legion of Super Villains stuff, I don't remember reading much about the villains as a collective back in the day, but I was so young when I was reading most of my LoSH stuff I am not surprised I remember so little. Plus, my brain... haha. I'm also trying to remember and store away all of the Legion's... the Legion of Heroes  Grin... real names as I go down this path because I know when I get to the Five Years later title it will make reading that a lot easier  Grin But yeah, enjoying this.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2023, 04:33:38 PM »

Hoopla

DC Universe Ultra    
Batman 133  
The Flash 794

Marvel Unlimited
Strange Academy Finals 3

Timeless 1

New Mutants 16
New Mutants 17
New Mutants 18
New Mutants 20
New Mutants 21
New Mutants 22
New Mutants 23

Venom 14 - Dark Web Tie-in - at least this had the X-Men in it. Didn’t convince me to stay for more though.

Dark Web: X-Men 2 - I guess I’m just going to have to live with Madeline being evil.  No one wants to make her the complex character she used to be. Still an interesting issue but not a must read unless your a fan like me.

Timeless 1 - I didn’t enjoy this very much. It seems to be more of a prelude to the Avengers and not that interesting.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2023, 03:52:23 AM »

Hoopla

DC Universe Ultra    
Batman 133  
The Flash 794

Marvel Unlimited
Strange Academy Finals 3

Timeless 1

X-Men: Earth’s Mutant Heroes 1
New Mutants 16
New Mutants 17
New Mutants 18
New Mutants 20
New Mutants 21
New Mutants 22
New Mutants 23

X-Men: Earth’s Mutant Heroes 1 - Too many characters that aren’t relevant anymore IMO.

New Mutants 16-23 - now I remember why I stopped reading this. The writing is bad and the art worse.  After half of issue 16 I wound up just flipping through the rest just to see how it ends with Shadow King. Lame. It ends lamely.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2023, 12:29:42 PM »

Timeless 1 - I didn’t enjoy this very much. It seems to be more of a prelude to the Avengers and not that interesting.

Thanks!! I forgot to add it to my weekly read list, though I did download it, but hey, if I can save a read and some tablet space...  Grin

X-Men: Earth’s Mutant Heroes 1 - Too many characters that aren’t relevant anymore IMO.

I noticed that as well. I am still keeping it my downloads, to have as a quick, no-meaning read, but yeah, you are on point as far as I can tell

Now, as for me, I was able to finish my small list this week, but I had thought I only had up to issue #5 of LoSH on this list so I was somewhat disappointed that I didn't get to add an additional read

Cheesy
DCUltra
Batman 133 

MU

Other
Slaughter House-Five OGN

Slaughter House-Five - A good read that has me wanting to compare it to the novel. A new audiobook in my library soon?

Strange: Fall Sunrise - Amazing art, but this story is soooo far out there that I doubt it will be recognized as being anywhere close to his Surfer book. That said, I was going to stop reading this title, especially immediately after finishing issue #2, but time has warmed my cold thoughts and my mind is now warming up to think that I must return, I must.

LoSH - I... I... just can't take this anymore. I know that Levitz started working for DC, writing the Legion in Adventure Comics when he was a mere 14 years old, but I swear, this 80's stuff (when he is now in his early 30's) reads like he has not aged one day. I can't do it.
I say "Can't" but I checked and I see where, apparently, the title does get "better" at issue #17, so for whatever reason... a solid effort to regain my feelings of this team that I had when I was younger or to prove I am a glutton for punishment... I will try this title again starting there. Wish me luck.
 Undecided

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS