HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 10:39:31 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, March 27, 2023  (Read 1378 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: March 27, 2023, 03:52:07 AM »

Last week of March!

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men Annual 1
Dark Web: Mary Jane & Black Cat 1
Dark Web: Ms. Marvel 1
Gold Glider 2 - Dark Web Tie-in
Strange 9
Wolverine 28

DC Universe Ultra
Action Comics 1052
Batman vs. Robin 5
Detective Comics 1069
Justice Society of America 3
Human Target 12

Comixology
Injection Vol 1 - Warren Ellis & Declan Shelvey. Collects issues 1-5.

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 04:16:31 PM »

I'm hearing some good things about Paul Dano's writing on Riddler: Year One, like the he knows the character (or at least HIS version) and that, apparently, this isn't like a lot of those-
"Oh hey, you're a Hollywood person? Well come on in and write a bunch of crap that people will buy because of your name" things either. May just give it a go this week as it is relatively small list for me, but may wait for issue 5 to drop in a couple months so I only have to wait one more month for the finale. We'll see.

DCUltra
Justice Society of America #3 (Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh b...  Cheesy)
Human Target #12  (RE-READ)
~Teen Titans by Geoff Johns Book Three
Teen Titans #29
Teen Titans #30
Teen Titans #31

MU
Combat Kelly and the Deadly Dozen #1
X-Men: Earths Mutant Heroes #1 (A Who's Who from the look of it. I need this. Haha)
Strange 9 (Is this about done? YES!!!!)
Wolverine 28 (For two words only... Jose Ryp)
X-Men Annual 1 (Started to read as it stated Hickman wrote it, he didn't. I'll wait to see if I need this. Anyone?)

Other
~Magic Order v3
Magic Order #1
Magic Order #2
Magic Order #3
Magic Order #4
Magic Order #5
Magic Order #6
Slaughter House-Five OGN

Human Target - So don't read this until you have read the issue!!!! But it
damn sure was not the ending I wanted. The death was honestly something I thought we would avoid. Even being a BL book and all. I was still hoping for... I don't know... a way out, like an Ex Machina style revelation and save. Some way, some how. But although the "spoiler tag is hiding this part as well, I will wait and say more when everyone gets caught up but I will end with this... One of the better King 12-parters but not solely for the writing. No, no. This was so damn great in no small part to Greg Smallwood. Hell, in my opinion in a very large part to Greg Smallwood actually. Without his unique art/coloring style on this book, there is no way I would've enjoyed this as much as I did. That's how I feel about it at least, especially after that fucking ending

Combat Kelly - Finished this this morning and it was a fun little romp down 1960's comics  Grin Always nice to start the day seeing Nazi die!!!
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 04:08:19 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men Annual 1

Strange 9
Wolverine 28

DC Universe Ultra
Action Comics 1052
Batman vs. Robin 5
Detective Comics 1069
Human Target 12

Comixology

X-Men Annual 1 - I like the focus on Firestar unfortunately this was a throwaway story and not that engaging.  Jokes were all cringey.  Don’t feel bad if you miss this.

Dark Web: Mary Jane & Black Cat 1 - This will be an important tie-in. Plus McKay writes Black Cat & MJ.  So yeah, it’s fun.

Dark Web: Ms. Marvel 1 - Read this only if your already reading the Ms Marvel book.  Nothing of interest otherwise.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 04:11:18 AM »

X-Men Annual 1 (Started to read as it stated Hickman wrote it, he didn't. I'll wait to see if I need this. Anyone?)

See above for my thoughts. But where did you read Hickman wrote it?  His name isn’t anywhere on the book.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 04:15:24 AM »

See above for my thoughts. But where did you read Hickman wrote it?  His name isn’t anywhere on the book.

Oh I think I see.  On that oh so accurate MU website.   Wink Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 01:08:31 PM »

As soon as you click on the cover, scroll down to details and it tells you when it was published as well as Interior and Cover information.
Under "Interior" is says -

JONATHAN HICKMAN
writer
STEVE FOXE
writer
ANDREA DI VITTO
penciler, inker
JORDAN WHITE
Editor

They lied about Hickman!!!  Grin

Also, I think I said in one of our conversations that the art was done by Valerio Schiti, as you can see, it was not  Grin
Unless they lied about that as well!!!
 Grin

Onto my reading... which is turning into another piss-poor Marvel week for me. But thanks to Jeff, I was luckily saved from one read that may have increased my ire
 Grin

DCUltra
Justice Society of America #3
Human Target #12  (RE-READ)
Teen Titans #29
Teen Titans #30
Teen Titans #31

MU
X-Men: Earths Mutant Heroes #1
Strange #9
Wolverine #28

X-Men Annual 1

Other
~Magic Order v3
Magic Order #1
Magic Order #2
Magic Order #3
Magic Order #4
Magic Order #5
Magic Order #6
Slaughter House-Five OGN

X-Men Annual - Thanks for the save Jeff!!!

Strange - I just don't care anymore. I'm done until the relaunch of Dr. Strange

Wolverine - As much as I enjoy the style of Jose Ryp's art, I can no longer read this book solely for it's look. I am not a fan of Percy and... hell... I just don't enjoy Percy's writing. Not sure why, but it doesn't hit for me at all. I think as a plotter he has some very cool ideas, I like most everything plot-wise he has done, but I don't enjoy his method of getting me from point A to B.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 03:24:54 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men Annual 1

Strange 9
Wolverine 28

DC Universe Ultra
Action Comics 1052
Batman vs. Robin 5
Detective Comics 1069
Human Target 12

Comixology

Gold Glider 2 - Not really a Dark Web tie in.  Just a continuation of the Norman Osborn comic.  Good if your interested in what’s happening with him and his redemption but not for me.

Strange 9 - oh man. I have absolutely no interest in where this is going.  I might finally be done with this book and that makes me sad.

Wolverine 28 - More Beast evilness.  I didn’t care for this particular issue but it’s leading us somewhere.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 03:26:51 PM »

Looks like Perry and I are on the same page with Strange.  This should have been a much better book with McKay writing Clea.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 06:03:29 PM »

Looks like Perry and I are on the same page with Strange.  This should have been a much better book with McKay writing Clea.

Yeah  Undecided I was hoping for so much more. The art is there, but... yeah...  Undecided

EDIT ----

DCUltra
Teen Titans #29
Teen Titans #30
Teen Titans #31

MU
Strange #9
Wolverine #28

X-Men Annual 1

Other
~Magic Order v3
Magic Order #1
Magic Order #2
Magic Order #3
Magic Order #4
Magic Order #5
Magic Order #6
Slaughter House-Five OGN

X-Men Earths Mutant Heroes - This is gonna take awhile. NOt really a book to read, but I will be dipping my toes in a little bit at a time to try and get me up-to-date (as of the books publication) with some Mutants I don't know
 Grin

JSA - Okay, first and foremost I love the duo-penciler aspect of this comic. I have loved many a title in the past for doing the same thing, but it looks so damn cool going from one great artist to another. A great way to show different time!! The story was fine, needed a tad more I think, but every issue can't be a homerun as the ones that are wouldn't feel special
 Grin
Absolutely love
the Unknown Soldier use here and the last panel with Sgt Rock... In the pose of his death... O know I have seen that somewhere!!
HELL YEAH
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 06:16:46 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 01:46:04 AM »

Here we go!!

MARVEL UNLIMITED

Dark Web X-men; a quick read through, that turned into skimming as I just didn't care in the end. :eep!:
Black Cat/Mary Jane 1 (Dark Web); I've been reading Spider-man ever since..whenever, and I totally don't remember MJ's powers! What? It was cute book. I'll read more
Golden Goblin 2 Dark Web: I've been reading this for Norman's changes and ASM tie-in, so I continued on, and it's...fine.

Legion of X 8 : what in the bloody HELL is this book about? I've only missed 3 issues, but what is this about? LOL!

Deadpool 2: It's fine...but it feels like any mini series of Deadpool. I do hope for a developed supporting cast, or some kind ...of..you know, ongoing story...it'd be nicer!!

Planet Hulk Worldbreaker 2: Hey, a pick me up book! I'm curious, and usually get into 'the end' type of story, so I'm into this one!

Sabretooth and the Exiles 2: What HAPPENED to this books' publishing schedule?  I forgot about this book entirely. An...interesting return to the story, but man, I'm not feeling this the way I was when it was the Sabretooth title that led to this. I don't remember any of the newly created mutants here

Spider-man Lost Hunt 2: This is really poor. dematteis returning to a 'lost years' time of Peter and MJ nets no impact in reading or analysis.

Avengers Forever 12: A decent, and basically fun little tie in to a very very large storyline. It s'okay.

Strange 9 : okay, as poor as this title became in the last 2-3 issues, but hey, the title only has one more issue! So I'll read it. Whatever.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 01:50:38 AM »

DC ULTRA

Human Target 12: A lot of thinking about this title and it's ending. So very glad I've read this, and that I'm left considering everything about it.

Batman v Robin 5: Aww, how sweet this turned out to be!  Cheesy

Action Comcis 1052: I like reading this Superman! I'm gld for PKJohnson! Gimme more! And this Power Girl stuff is ...weird...and what I liked about this was some of the conversation bits of having Kara, and well, Kara! Talking to each other. What a weird bit that had to be for both of them! And I really dig young Jon by Jurgens and Weeks!

Detective Comics 1069: This title is so weird. I dig it! But what next? What next?!! Cheesy

Blue Beetle Graduation Day 4: Just...looking through this so I know what's up next for Jamie and the scarab. That's all

Titans United Bloodpact 1- Hey! I wasn't reading this yet! Now I'm back into it!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2023, 02:39:31 AM »

Strange 9 : okay, as poor as this title became in the last 2-3 issues, but hey, the title only has one more issue! So I'll read it. Whatever.

Really? Only one more issue?  Oh well, I guess I’ll go ahead and finish it out then.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 01:26:10 PM »

Really? Only one more issue?  Oh well, I guess I’ll go ahead and finish it out then.

Yes, and then it relaunches as Doctor again. That is what I'm waiting for!!! Let me know how that last issue is, I'm not reading it (even though I am a fan of The S.... that character we see at the end of #9)

* Okay, "fan" may not be the correct word, but I do so like his... ummmm... heroic hindrance  Grin

Legion of X 8 : what in the bloody HELL is this book about? I've only missed 3 issues, but what is this about? LOL!

RIGHT?!?!?! Was an amazing feeling jumping in cold and trying to get what the hell I was reading  Cheesy

Avengers Forever 12: A decent, and basically fun little tie in to a very very large storyline. It s'okay.

One day (after my Legion read, maybe? Haha) I am going to try and read this and Avengers. Just the tie-in stuff, the last huge arc in Aaron's run. I am sure there will be something I can find I enjoy. Something I missed from his first 48 issues or so? Maybe?

EDIT - Keep forgetting to list my reads when I reply to something
 Grin Grin

Read some more of the Slaughter House-Five OGN, but that one is going to take awhile. Not that it is bad, but I get sidetracked from it every time I go to read it, or so it seems. Doesn't help I sidetrack myself with older comic series either.
 Cheesy

DCUltra
Teen Titans #29
Teen Titans #30
Teen Titans #31

Teen Titans #31 <-- ADDED
Legion of Super-Heroes #1 (1984 - Baxter Paper)
Legion of Super-Heroes #2
 ← ADDED, ↑ and ↓  Smiley
Legion of Super-Heroes #3
Legion of Super-Heroes #4

MU
Strange #9
Wolverine #28

X-Men Annual 1

Other
~Magic Order v3
Magic Order #1
Magic Order #2
Magic Order #3
Magic Order #4
Magic Order #5
Magic Order #6
Slaughter House-Five OGN

Teen Titans - Man, really enjoyed the first two volumes of these Geoff Johns omnis (or whatever they are), but this last one... it never grabbed me. Started off decent enough, but fell rapidly an those last three issues (plus the next non-collected issue). Sadly. Loved the Dr. Light stuff from earlier though.

LoSH - So I am starting again. Yep, but this time I am really, truly in the mood to read some older Legion stuff. THIS is my next BPRD read. I will get through it. And I look forward to doing so.

* Because one day, one fine day, Hickman will give us his (much desired) version of this massive ass team and I want to make sure I am up on most every facet. Well, every facet from the year 1984 and up at least
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 01:43:46 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2023, 09:27:30 PM »

* Because one day, one fine day, Hickman will give us his (much desired) version of this massive ass team and I want to make sure I am up on most every facet. Well, every facet from the year 1984 and up at least
 Cheesy

Dare to Dream...........

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2023, 11:06:46 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men Annual 1

Strange 9
Wolverine 28

DC Universe Ultra
Action Comics 1052
Batman vs. Robin 5
Detective Comics 1069

Human Target 12

Comixology

Justice Society of America 3 - Didn’t come out this week. It was an error on they’re release page.

Action Comics 1052 - Still digging the Metallo arc. Liked the Jon arc even better. Still can’t stand the Powergirl story.

Batman vs. Robin 5 - can’t believe I made it through this whole thing. Pretty lame ending and a disappointing series altogether.

Detective Comics 1069 - took awhile to remember what was going on in this comic.  Once I remembered though, I was ok with this.  The backup Mr. Freeze story is good. Part 1 of 3.

Human Target 12 - I don’t think the end of this was ever going to live up to the journey. It was still good but the true beauty of this story was in fact the journey.  I’m going to miss this book, that is for sure.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS