HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:37:06 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, March 13, 2023  (Read 1295 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: March 13, 2023, 04:13:44 AM »

All caught up on my DC backlog so all issues going forward will be the most current drops on Ultra!

Marvel Unlimited
Strange Academy Finals 2
Strange 8
Punisher 8
X-Men Red 9
X-Force 35
Immortal X-Men 9
Daredevil 6
The Variants 5
X-Treme X-Men 1
Secret Invasion 2
Fantastic Four 2
Dark Web 1

DC Universe Ultra
Batman Incorporated 5
Danger Street 3
Lazarus Planet: Dark Fate 1
WildC.A.T.s 4

Comixology
Image! 30th Anthology 9

Hoopla
Something is Killing the Children 28
Something is Killing the Children 29

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 04:29:30 AM »

Since I got everything 2 weeks early...I only have Dark Web #1 from Marvel this week! Grin

But I didn't read Thanos and Thor yet, so I got 2 issues to finish up anyways!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 12:58:39 PM »

Like Jimbo said, we all got Marvel's weekly drop for this week during last weeks "early risers special"  Cheesy, so those of us who read comics last week  Tongue....  Wink already read most of what we wanted to then. Meaning there is very little (or nothing) that will be on our Marvel new reading list this go-around.
Hopefully that will free up more time for me to get through some more John's stuff and some Hoopla. Though I think the opposite will end up happening, my luck.  Undecided Grin Going to leave a little room for additional reading, just in-case

Oh yeah, Jeff, do you know why there is no issue #13 in the That Texas Blood collections? I am going from issue #12 (at the end of v2) to issue #14 (at the start of v3)? Just curious if you know or have heard... or remember if it was just a throwaway issue?

DCUltra
~Teen Titans by Geoff Johns Book Two (13-19+)
Teen Titans/Legion of Super-Heroes Special #1
Teen Titans #16
Teen Titans #17
Teen Titans #18
Teen Titans #19
~Teen Titans by Geoff Johns Book Three (20-31+)
Teen Titans #20
Teen Titans #21
Danger Street #3
Swamp Thing: Green Hell #2 - Just downloading it to read all three issues when the last one drops. I enjoyed the first issue (but will need a re-read) and hopefully Jeff Lemire continue the goodness and will bring it home!

MU
NADA!!!! (Well, nothing planned anyway  Grin)

Other
~That Texas Blood v3
That Texas Blood #14
That Texas Blood #15
That Texas Blood #16
That Texas Blood #17
That Texas Blood #18
That Texas Blood #19

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 02:20:34 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Strange Academy Finals 2
Strange 8
Punisher 8
X-Men Red 9
X-Force 35
Immortal X-Men 9

Daredevil 6
The Variants 5
X-Treme X-Men 1
Secret Invasion 2
Fantastic Four 2
Dark Web 1

DC Universe Ultra
Batman Incorporated 5
Danger Street 3
WildC.A.T.s 4

Comixology
Image! 30th Anthology 9

Hoopla

Strange Academy Finals 2 - Awesome! The kids are finally going after Gaslamp and I couldn’t be more thrilled! My favorite Marvel book continues to shine.

Strange 8 - This new arc has potential.  This was mainly a setup issue but looks good.

Punisher 8 - I’m not really enjoying this all that much anymore.  I’ll see it through but I’ll be glad when it’s done.

X-Men Red 9 - Niiiiice! Evil Vulcan is a fun Vulcan! Can’t wait to see how next issues fight is going to go!

X-Force 35 - not the best X-Force issue. Definitely not as good as the issues leading up to this one.  The art seemed off as well but it could just be my memory.  Glad the Beast stuff might be finally getting some resolution.

Immortal X-Men 9 - OMG THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry Strange Academy, THIS IS MY FAVORITE MARVEL BOOK.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 06:48:03 PM »

DCUltra
Teen Titans #16
Teen Titans #17
Teen Titans #18

Teen Titans #19
Teen Titans #20
Teen Titans #21
Danger Street #3
Superboy #195 (1973) (Legion back up story only) <--- ADDED

MU

Other
~That Texas Blood v3
That Texas Blood #14
That Texas Blood #15
That Texas Blood #16
That Texas Blood #17
That Texas Blood #18
That Texas Blood #19

Titans - So major spoilage next... so be careful...
after the LoSH and Fatal Five (times 100) battle that the Titans team was involved in, a battle that was far too brief, the team finds themselves flung into an alternate future... fighting their future selves!! They escape only to find help another group, hoping to help them? The Titans East, which seems to have Rose Wilson, Shazam (Freddy colors) and...  Terra(?!?!)  Shocked
OH HELL YEAH!!!

Superboy - First appearance
of ERG-1 and... in a way... the last  Wink  *DunDun Duuuun!!* By Drake Buroughs anyway. Not the best comic, of course, but still some interesting stuff in here. Like how Wildfi... I mean ERG-1  Wink had the powers of all most all of the Legion members  Shocked I didn't know/remember that about him but yeah, he was an early version of the X-Men's Sync it seems Cheesy Superboy's Laser (Heat) Vision? CHECK. Chemical reaction powers of Chemical King? CHECK. Grow super big or shrink to tiny size like Colossal Boy and Shrinking Violet? CHECK and CHECK. Hell, he could even do a good impression of my girl Tinya's powers and go intangible.
And why was he not allowed to join the Legion? Because according to their rules "Every member [of the Legion] must possess a unique super-power. Too much like one or the other? Too bad, you're out!! (Don't tell Mon-El/Superboy  Cheesy) But that doesn't sop ole ERG-1 from sacrificing himself to save Collosal Boy! Long live ERG-1 ... in memory at least  Smiley (At least for now when years later... well... nevermind
Grin
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 07:04:14 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 11:00:20 PM »

after the LoSH and Fatal Five (times 100) battle that the Titans team was involved in, a battle that was far too brief, the team finds themselves flung into an alternate future... fighting their future selves!! They escape only to find help another group, hoping to help them? The Titans East, which seems to have Rose Wilson, Shazam (Freddy colors) and...  Terra(?!?!)  Shocked
OH HELL YEAH!!!

Oh yeah!  I remember that story.  I think I might still have those in the comic boxes somewhere!

This one right?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 11:27:26 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 04:58:49 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Strange Academy Finals 2
Strange 8
Punisher 8
X-Men Red 9
X-Force 35
Immortal X-Men 9

Daredevil 6
The Variants 5
X-Treme X-Men 1
Secret Invasion 2
Fantastic Four 2
Dark Web 1

DC Universe Ultra
Batman Incorporated 5
Danger Street 3
WildC.A.T.s 4

Comixology
Image! 30th Anthology 9

Hoopla

Daredevil 6 - Not a great issue.  I wish they’d go back to Matt & Elektra fighting crime in the streets.  I’m kind of done with the Hand between this and Punisher.

The Variants 5 - I enjoyed this more than I really should have.  It’s not a great epic tale but it still made me happy in the end. Gail Simone is still good IMO. I think she should do more minis. They suit her.

X-Treme X-Men 1 - As much as I like seeing this team together again, it’s too jarring to see their personalities go back to how they were in the ‘90s.  Nice to see Claremont back but the X-Men have changed too much for this to hold my interest.

Secret Invasion 2 - Ooooo! I like! This adds some new depth to the Skrulls. And I like them better as the villains.

Fantastic Four 2 - I really like what Ryan North is doing with the FF.  They are fun to read again!

Dark Web 1 - I’m a little concerned.  I love this premise with Madeline Pryor and Ben Reilly being the clones wanting revenge.  But this wasn’t a great kick off.  I don’t like the art for starters. It wasn’t a terrible story but I’ll be proceeding with caution.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 09:09:39 PM »

OH HELL YEAH!!!

Oh yeah!  I remember that story.  I think I might still have those in the comic boxes somewhere!

This one right?

Yep, that's the one. Did you read the Terra mini-series?
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2023, 02:36:35 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Strange Academy Finals 2
Strange 8
Punisher 8
X-Men Red 9
X-Force 35
Immortal X-Men 9

Daredevil 6
The Variants 5
X-Treme X-Men 1
Secret Invasion 2
Fantastic Four 2
Dark Web 1

DC Universe Ultra
Batman Incorporated 5
Danger Street 3
WildC.A.T.s 4

Comixology
Image! 30th Anthology 9

Hoopla

Batman Incorporated 5 - Hmmm.  A little unsatisfying of an ending to the first arc.  But I imagine this conflict isn’t over yet.

Danger Street 3 - I think this needs to move a little faster or I may lose interest.  Or it could just be the voice of the narration that is gettin on my nerves.

Lazarus Planet: Dark Fate 1 - Another preview for future stories.  Huntress: love the character but not this story - pass.  Doom Patrol: I’ll have to get used to Burnham’s art on this but I’ll give the new series a try.  Circuit Breaker: oh heck no. This was really bad.  Spirit World: Not for me.  But I think there’s an audience out there that will like this.

WildC.A.T.s 4 - this book is so freaking weird…and cool…and I love it!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2023, 11:37:07 AM »

OH HELL YEAH!!!

This one right?

yeah, that's the one

EDIT - well Rodney beat me to it
 Smiley

But while I am here ...

Danger Street 3 - I think this needs to move a little faster or I may lose interest.  Or it could just be the voice of the narration that is gettin on my nerves.

The narrator aspect is an issue, but this feels really broken... in trying to tie-in so many different comic issue one-shots (which isn't easy, of course), we are left feeling discombobulated while reading this in this format. It isn't fair to the story. This should have been a OGN. If you like the story in this... and know what the story is... congrats, but I do not and I am now waiting for it to be collected, so I can give it a fair shot. I can't judge this series in a monthly read format.
 Undecided

Lazarus Planet: [...]  Doom Patrol: I’ll have to get used to Burnham’s art on this but I’ll give the new series a try.

We disagree here as Burnham's art is the main reason I will be here. Okay, mmaybe not the main, but certainly a high factor in my decision. I thought you liked his style on his and Kirkman's "DIE!DIE!DIE!" series but maybe I am misremembering. I claim old brain as my excuse!!!
 Cheesy

EDIT 2 - I think I know what it is now. You probably did like the art on THAT book, but I seem to remember when it comes to your established heroes, you are not too fond of the more stylized approach that comes with his art. Yeah? Did my brain work for once?
 Cheesy Cheesy

/END EDIT 2 -We now return you to your scheduled program already in progress)  Wink

WildC.A.T.s 4 - this book is so freaking weird…and cool…and I love it!

I gave the first issue a try and... honestly I forgot why it didn't hit for me. Maybe the art? Oh hell if I remember now. Please see excuse above and use here as well.
 Grin

DCUltra
Teen Titans #16
Teen Titans #17
Teen Titans #18

Teen Titans #19
Teen Titans #20
Teen Titans #21
Danger Street #3
Superboy #195 (1973)

MU

Other
~That Texas Blood v3
That Texas Blood #14
That Texas Blood #15
That Texas Blood #16
That Texas Blood #17
That Texas Blood #18
That Texas Blood #19

Danger Street - Like trying to have a discussion with me, this book is all over the place  Grin Cheesy Said it already but I am now waiting for this series to be done before going back in. Or most likely wait until issue 11 is released and then read all of them in preparation for the last issue to hit the following month (? it is a 12 issue mini, yeah? Is that right?)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 11:57:51 AM by Perry » Logged

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2023, 01:32:00 PM »

I am still reading my New Teen Titans (1984) #1-9. Packing to move in two weeks and haven't had a lot of time for new issues (online or LCS).
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2023, 01:35:07 PM »

I am still reading my New Teen Titans (1984) #1-9. Packing to move in two weeks and haven't had a lot of time for new issues (online or LCS).

Well good luck on the move.
I am not jealous of you at all (I DESPISE MOVING)
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2023, 02:26:27 PM »

Yep, that's the one. Did you read the Terra mini-series?

Are you talking about the 2009 one with the brunette Terra?  I think I did read that but don’t remember much about it.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2023, 02:29:07 PM »

Lazarus Planet: [...]  Doom Patrol: I’ll have to get used to Burnham’s art on this but I’ll give the new series a try.

We disagree here as Burnham's art is the main reason I will be here. Okay, mmaybe not the main, but certainly a high factor in my decision. I thought you liked his style on his and Kirkman's "DIE!DIE!DIE!" series but maybe I am misremembering. I claim old brain as my excuse!!!
 Cheesy

EDIT 2 - I think I know what it is now. You probably did like the art on THAT book, but I seem to remember when it comes to your established heroes, you are not too fond of the more stylized approach that comes with his art. Yeah? Did my brain work for once?
 Cheesy Cheesy

/END EDIT 2 -We now return you to your scheduled program already in progress)  Wink

Yep. I like his art on most books.  Just was a little jarring here. But I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2023, 04:59:50 PM »

Well good luck on the move.
I am not jealous of you at all (I DESPISE MOVING)
 Grin

So do I, but I have been dating Shawn for three years and he asked us (me, kids, dogs and the sinister kitty) to move in. My daughter will be spending her spring break unpacking, painting and decorating her new room.

He foolishly thought my long boxes were going in the basement. LOL. NO!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS