HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:06:12 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thunderbolts premieres in theaters July 25, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, March 20, 2023  (Read 979 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: March 19, 2023, 06:58:20 PM »

Getting an early start on this week.  Feels weird not having any backlog on DC nor Marvel.

Marvel Unlimited
Dark Web: X-Men 1
Deadpool 2
The Amazing Spider-Man 15

DC Universe Ultra    
Batman - One Bad Day: Clayface 1
Batman/Superman: World’s Finest 12
Black Adam 8
DCeased: War of the Undead Gods 6
Lazarus Planet: Omega 1
Nightwing 101
The Flash 793
Titans United: Bloodpact 6

Comixology
Book of Slaughter 1 - One Shot
House of Slaughter 11

Hoopla
Traveling to Mars 2
Slaughter House Five TPB - Comic adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut’s novel. Adaptation written by Ryan North.

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 04:22:13 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Deadpool 2

DC Universe Ultra    
Black Adam 8
Nightwing 101
The Flash 793

Comixology
House of Slaughter 11

Hoopla
Traveling to Mars 2
Slaughter House Five TPB - Comic adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut’s novel. Adaptation written by Ryan North.

Book of Slaughter 1 - Excellent source material for all things of the order.  Plus some developments that will definitely impact the main comic.  I enjoyed this.

House of Slaughter 11 - Nice start to a new arc with Jace.  Setup for what looks to be a lot of action.

Dark Web: X-Men 1 - They got me with Spidey & his Amazing Friends. A little silly but I’m in for this one.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 12:39:43 PM »

EDIT - I forgot to add the new DC stuff hitting this week
 Grin

DCUltra
~Teen Titans by Geoff Johns Book Three (20-31+)
Teen Titans #21
Teen Titans #22
Teen Titans #23
Teen Titans #24
Outsiders #24
Teen Titans #25
Outsiders #25
~New Teen Titans v1 (Wolfman/Perez (1-8+)
New Teen Titans #1 (1980)
New Teen Titans #2
New Teen Titans #3
Edit - to add the following:
Batman - One Bad Day: Clayface
Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #12
DCeased: War of the Undead Gods #6
Nightwing #101
Superman #1 (gotta try)

MU
Iron Man #1 (2023)
Legion of X #8

Other
~That Texas Blood v3
That Texas Blood #14
That Texas Blood #15
That Texas Blood #16
That Texas Blood #17
That Texas Blood #18
That Texas Blood #19

Iron Man - I totally understand Jimmy's feelings regarding the overuse of this issues opening theme, and I wasn't going to read this, but up at one and feeling like some Marvel, I decided to read it. The art was not bad, but I think could have been better, but the writing was pretty sharp here. I ended up thinking that I will give it the three-issue-tryout.
 Smiley

Legion - Lots of whacky things in this issue... yet honestly has me excited  Grin
Banshee mixes with a Spirit of Vengeance but this spirit is not trying to seek revenge so he is a Spirit of Variance (I know, sounds so dumb but it worked... in an odd way) and when said spirit takes over Banshee's body, much like a Spirit of Vengeance becomes Ghost Rider, this one goes by the name Vox Ignis, the Voice of Fire! That is cool Cheesy I finally understand that the Alter is in Legion's head, accessed by Krakoa gates and that it is adjacent to the Astral Plane... it shows up as a beach beside the Alter Grin
Found out that, according to writer Si Spurrier here, that EVERY human has an X-gene  Shocked Shocked Shocked (apparently?) and when the new Black Knight, a daughter of Dane Whitman, comes in contact with a human, she activates that X gene for one hour. Mostly stupid powers, like becoming invisible, but only from the waist up  Cheesy Cheesy No idea if this humans have the x thing is going to be picked up by other writers as this... this is kind of a big deal and it is coming from an ancillary X-Book and not the main so... yeah, we will see... or not  Cheesy Also, the book seems to be leading us to believe that this new Black Night is also responsible for Nightcrawlers new horns as when she took Angel's hand he became a huge bird-like creature. One of the X people gave the power a name, but I forgot.  Undecided
 Oh yeah, on the last page we are shown the woman that raised Nightcrawler, Margali... so I have discovered!! I had to look her up... I was so scared to see spoilers, but I made it. She has a big history that I do not know and did not check on (for fear of those same spoilers) so if anyone can tell me about her, without spoiling too much, I would appreciate it.
And that is a HUUUUUGE spoiler bar
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 04:17:48 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 03:32:00 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Deadpool 2

DC Universe Ultra    

Black Adam 8
Nightwing 101
The Flash 793

Comixology
House of Slaughter 11

Hoopla
Traveling to Mars 2

Deadpool 2 - Doc Ock! Lady Deathstike! Deadpool acting like an idiot!  Fun that I needed today.

The Amazing Spider-Man 15 - I enjoyed this as well.  More silly fun on a day I needed a boost.  I might be in for this Dark Web stuff after all.

Traveling to Mars 2 - A very sad tale so far.  Written very well and keeping me invested with a lot little details.  I’m looking forward to the next issue.

Batman - One Bad Day: Clayface 1 - Wow. This was a stunning one.  I don’t know who Collin Kelly is but I am now a fan of his story telling.  Great issue!

Batman/Superman: World’s Finest 12 - A Robin and Supergirl very funny first date issue.  A one shot I definitely enjoyed.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 04:44:46 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 04:48:25 AM »

I don’t know who Collin Kelly is but I am now a fan of his story telling. 

I had to look him up and I’ll be darned if he isn’t the writer of that Captain America Sentinel of Liberty book that Perry & Jimmy keep raving about.  Looks like I’ll be checking out that comic after all!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 09:54:08 AM »

Did pretty good last night, knocking out a few.

DCUltra
Teen Titans #21
Teen Titans #22
Teen Titans #23
Teen Titans #24
Outsiders #24
Teen Titans #25
Outsiders #25
New Teen Titans #2
New Teen Titans #3

DCeased: War of the Undead Gods #5 <--- added as it looks like I didn't read this yet?
Nightwing #101
Superman #1

MU
Iron Man #1 (2023)
Legion of X #8

Other
~That Texas Blood v3
That Texas Blood #14
That Texas Blood #15
That Texas Blood #16
That Texas Blood #17
That Texas Blood #18
That Texas Blood #19

~Magic Order v3 <-- Added as Jimmy and then Jeff reminded me of it  Shocked Grin
Magic Order #1
Magic Order #2
Magic Order #3
Magic Order #4
Magic Order #5
Magic Order #6
Star Trek Sampler

Clayface - written by BOTH  Wink writers who are currently writing the Captain America (Steve) book and the new Star Trek book by IDW (which I will get to... partially... in a moment), this was another great One Bad Day entry. So far that makes five out of seven (with one more coming) for me that I have really enjoyed and I would put this in the top three. But of course the "freshness of enjoyment" always makes the most recent one a tad better. Both hated the fact that
Clayface is back to true villainous status
while loving the telling of it as well. When that can be done successfully, it is a great thing. And that ending was... nice, a great way to show... yeah
 Grin

World's Finest - A "cute'ish" story (and hey, that's okay sometimes  Grin) but I miss Mora's art. Still not badly drawn or anything, but different

Nightwing - A set-up issue, with characters I do not know or remember... one or the other... (and hey, that's okay sometimes  Cheesy) but I followed well enough to belive I am going to enjoy where this goes. Creepy. I like creepy. I like this.

That Texas Blood - Really enjoyed this arc. Tense (which is something I usually don't feel too often with comics) and yet also very enjoyable. And I do say the younger Phillips' art is getting even better.
Thanks again to Jeff for putting me onto this series in the first place.

Star Trek Sampler - After hitting the LCS yesterday and not being able to find the new Star Trek series' first issue, the one written by the team Kelly and Lanzing, I found this Trek sampler on Hoopla. It has a look inside all (or some... I don't mean to presume) the 2023 Trek comics by IDW that have already hit, that are out currently and those soon to be. Gotta say, not only am I excited to try the new Trek series, I am also excited about the new Klingon one-shot (also written by Kelly and Lanzing) and also going to ask Jeff about the the Picard: Stargazer mini that hit last year (Not by Lanzing and Kelly  Grin) and I may RETRY the Star Trek Year Five issues... again... also written by Lanzing and Kelly?? WHAT?
(Yeah... I remember not liking the fist issue as I thought Kirk was out of character, but now I want to take another look. Was I in a mood or did these guys screw up? Enquiring minds want to know)
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 12:06:05 AM »

Going to go ahead and add the Superman book.  And not sure how I missed that Stargirl was dropping this week.  Added that too.

Marvel Unlimited
Deadpool 2

DC Universe Ultra    

Black Adam 8

Nightwing 101
The Flash 793
ADD:  Superman 1
ADD:  Stargirl and the Lost Children 5

Comixology
House of Slaughter 11

Hoopla
Traveling to Mars 2

Black Adam 8 - a little too much history in this issue but the start of something big in the present promises lots of action.

DCeased: War of the Undead Gods 6 - I was starting to get bored and then they amped it up to 11  with those last few pages.  I LOVE what they did here.

Lazarus Planet: Omega 1 - Loved all the magic people in this. Story overall was uninspiring though.  I’m ready for this to be over.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 12:46:15 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Deadpool 2

DC Universe Ultra    

Black Adam 8
Nightwing 101
The Flash 793
Superman 1
Stargirl and the Lost Children 5

Comixology
House of Slaughter 11

Hoopla
Traveling to Mars 2

Nightwing 101 - Not a fan of the villain.  Seems like we could have done better. Basic setup story really.  We’ll see how the next couple of issues go.

The Flash 793 - One Minute War part 4 - a little too out there for my full enjoyment but still a decent enough read.

Titans United: Bloodpact 6 - Not bad. Not great. But fun reading the Titans again.

Superman 1 - Hard to judge from one issue but it didn’t get me that excited for the series.

Stargirl and the Lost Children 5 - It’s hard to keep up with so many new characters.  But some of them are a lot of fun! Setup for the final battle next issue. Will all of them survive?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 12:48:18 PM »

So...once upon a time I had a post up with my comics? Or I started it, didn't hit enter, then shut down my computer apparently....

Here we go again!!

MARVEL UNLIMITED

Iron Man #1 - still spinning out of the end's of Cantwell's run, I'm intrigued and still happy to be reading and following!

Amazing Spider-man 15 - Dark Web starting in ASM. Nice to see Ed McGuinness art, but it was 15 pages of a weak Venom fight, and some weak exposition. Not starting great to me.

I actually have 4 others to read yet...maybe not today

CD ULTRA

Nightwing 101 - I actually got a weird little spooky chill about the ending. Like an 'oh no, please don't' kind of thing.

Clayface One Bad Day - AWESOME read. A great book to show how tortured many of Batman's Rogues are!

Superman 1 - I totally dug it. A great reversed angle of a sacred cow in the S mythos, so I'm looking forward to it! Art was a solid B+ plus. Got no problem reading it, looks pretty good, but nothing I'd follow book to book or immediately fell in love with. The most recent one I did that for was Dan Mora. After 1 issue of 'Once and Future' I was like, 'gotta watch this guy!!'

Black Adam 8 - I dug it, and enjoyed watching this transition of worsening history in Adam's life.

Lazurus Planet Omega - well, this is all done at least. Some nice looking art, but ephemeral battles of everyone blasting something that just laughs then moans in pain is never that greatly interesting in comics. Never really has been for me. So, the last 5 issues that were just built up adverts for upcoming comics is over. Cheesy

Stargirl Lost children 5 - I can't believe how fast this title has seemed to come out! Has it been out every 3 weeks instead of monthly?! I can't believe it's almost over! A great fun read. Been loving it!

World's Finest 12 - I really enjoyed this issue. Lots of fun.

Flash 793 - Again, Roger Cruz's art looks so..different. Almost neutered! Maybe the inker?

Geoff Johns Titans 1-8 - yep going back old school for this! Love the colors! Love the end of each issue just grabs you to read more!!  And because of this, because I didn't know I went back for:
-Titans/Young Justice #3 Graduation Day - to see how Donna died that is the main cloud hanging over everyone in this book. And what a junk book by Judd Winnick here. I think I remember George Berryman just RAILING into Winnick on the Realm at the time about how damned stupid it was that a rogue Superman Robot -built by Superman, mind you!- couldn't be stopped and she died stopping it. This was DUMB.
-Return of Donna Troy - the 4 part series about 2.5 years after her death, with writing/art from Phil Jimenez, glorious George Perez and Jose Garcia Lopez. I'm only into issue 2, but it really rectified her goofy origins into 1 story...but then New 52 fawked that all up too.

hoopla

That Texas Blood Volumes 1 & 2 : opened the app, saw I had 1 hour 22 min before these 2 returned....so I read them both on my Monday night! Good reads, I'm interested, and glad to be reading what Texas is REALLY LIKE.
(jeff - Grin !!)

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 01:05:48 PM »

Dang, Jeff hasn't hit a good run with his last eight issues it seems, only hitting on... maybe.... three out of the eight. Hope it turns around for ya, buddy.

For me, it's sadly about the same. I only read five issues over the last couple days, but after reading two in particular, I think I am in a mood that dictates me staying away from the older stuff for a few, at least away from the older New Teen Titans  Undecided I know I enjoyed that back when, enjoyed it a hell of a lot in-fact, but this is not hitting for me right now and it's scaring me. I am going to stop for now and start all over at another time. This book should NOT hit me the way it has been. It has to be a mood or timing thing for me. Walking away before I ruin the memory or my chance to try again when I AM ready for it
 Angry Embarrassed Cry

EDIT - I forgot a book!!

DCUltra
Teen Titans #21
Teen Titans #22
Teen Titans #23
Teen Titans #24
Outsiders #24
Teen Titans #25
Outsiders #25
New Teen Titans #2

New Teen Titans #3

DCeased: War of the Undead Gods #5
Nightwing #101
Superman #1
DC's Legion of Bloom #1 <--- EDIT to add

MU
Iron Man #1 (2023)
Legion of X #8

Other
~That Texas Blood v3
That Texas Blood #14
That Texas Blood #15
That Texas Blood #16
That Texas Blood #17
That Texas Blood #18
That Texas Blood #19

~Magic Order v3
Magic Order #1
Magic Order #2
Magic Order #3
Magic Order #4
Magic Order #5
Magic Order #6
Star Trek Sampler
Star Trek #1 <-- ADDED
Parker Girls #6 <-- ADDED

New Teen Titans - This is good stuff, I know it is, but for some reason after reading the first two issues it is not hitting for me right now. All I can think of is that I am currently into the John's run and it is having an effect. I am by no means saying the John's stuff is better, but it is a huge difference between the two. I don't have an answer as to why, I truly don't know, but... Hell... I don't know

Superman - Decent start. I liked the Lex inclusion, the way it was done and I liked the last page... as I have no idea who that was... other than
someone out to get Lex
, but they looked cool. Art was, fine. I enjoyed the posing more than the look, but it was fine. Serviceable for sure

Parker Girls - Damn these issue are just far too short and I sure as hell wish the price dropped after a month, but they don't so... yeah... I am paying $4 per issue, per very short issue, but damn the art is so damn sweet. The story is always good as well. That said, if this puppy (or any of Moore's single issues) ever go to $5 an issue I am done with him.
(although I may still buy the trades after the fact)
 Grin
I'M WEAK!!!!

Star Trek #1 - I dig this cast, a small collection of other Trek series peeps being brought together and I love the new ship... including the fact that it only holds 150 (I have no idea why I like that certain aspect, but I do  Cheesy). the art is also pretty good. I blame Jeff for this expense. Started talking about the writing duo of Lanzing and Kelly on one comic and I started looking into their other offerings. I hadn't read a Trek Comic in awhile so I figured why not? If I keep reading I will always be a month behind as the price drops after a month and I am not paying $5 for a comic (No F'n way). That said, I see where there are a few series of Trek that are free with Comixology Unlimited so I may sign back up... maybe

Legion of Bloom #1 - I forgot about this!! Mostly because all of the stories are forgettable. The saving grace was the last story, with art by Jimmy's favorite Riley Rossmo... which was still very forgettable, but a sweet Superman story called "We Just Have to Make it Till Spring"
I really think you should try that one Jimbo!!! Rossmo does a cool two panel thing with Supes that, sure, it's been done before, but still looked cool with Rossmo's art (that he inked himself... big difference... well, different anyway)
 Grin
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 01:26:57 PM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 11:36:46 AM »

Lots of reading in last night after going to bed... at dusk
 Grin

DCUltra
Teen Titans #21
Teen Titans #22
Teen Titans #23
Teen Titans #24
Outsiders #24
Teen Titans #25
Outsiders #25
Teen Titans #26
<--- ADDED
Teen Titans #29
Teen Titans #30
Teen Titans #31

New Teen Titans #2

New Teen Titans #3

DCeased: War of the Undead Gods #5

Nightwing #101
Superman #1
DC's Legion of Bloom #1

MU
Iron Man #1 (2023)
Legion of X #8

Other
~That Texas Blood v3
That Texas Blood #14
That Texas Blood #15
That Texas Blood #16
That Texas Blood #17
That Texas Blood #18
That Texas Blood #19

~Magic Order v3
Magic Order #1
Magic Order #2
Magic Order #3
Magic Order #4
Magic Order #5
Magic Order #6
Star Trek Sampler
Star Trek #1
Parker Girls #6
Star Trek Alien Spotlight (Klingons/Ferengi/Trill) <--- ADDED

Star Trek Aliens - Read this as, once again, the first story is written by Lanzing and Kelly, and while I thought some of it was pretty cool, I honestly have no idea what the hell was going on with this tale. I know it was a story about the Klingon warrior Kahless and his triumph at this one... site... but the flashbacks left me so confused that I don't get what they were trying to say. Pretty bad, but maybe I was too tired by this time? Nahhhh, it just sucked

DCeased - I know Jeff was feeling a little tired of this book until the last page of #6 (It has been one long ass story arc, so I get it) but luckily enough for me, I had no such feeling. I forgot I had read #5 already (No idea why it was marked as not read in Ultra) but seeing that last page in that issue
Mr Myx getting infected by an infected mother box!!!
once more right before reading issue #6, gave me plenty of hype. Also, going back to back with these issues I think helped stave off the chance of getting that feeling Jeff (understandably) had at one point.

Titans/Outsiders - Issues 21-23 were pretty fun, but when the Outsiders crossover started in #24 the art went downhill. The art on the Outsiders issues was even worse. Plus not knowing half the Outsiders team didn't help, but mainly the art was the true killjoy. After that, issue 26, a redemption style issue for one character I won't mention wrapped it all up well enough and the art by Tony Daniel didn't hurt. I don't like him HERE as much as the last two regulars, but much better than those last two issues by Mathew Clark. Oh, and yes, this omni skips from 26 to issue 29 to get past the Rob Liefeld crap, thank god  Roll Eyes

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2023, 09:37:15 PM »

Star Trek Aliens - Read this as, once again, the first story is written by Lanzing and Kelly, and while I thought some of it was pretty cool, I honestly have no idea what the hell was going on with this tale. I know it was a story about the Klingon warrior Kahless and his triumph at this one... site... but the flashbacks left me so confused that I don't get what they were trying to say. Pretty bad, but maybe I was too tired by this time? Nahhhh, it just sucked

Good to know! I can take it off my favorites list on Hooplah.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 09:42:35 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Deadpool 2

DC Universe Ultra    

Black Adam 8
Nightwing 101
The Flash 793
Superman 1
Stargirl and the Lost Children 5

Comixology
House of Slaughter 11

Hoopla
Traveling to Mars 2
Slaughter House Five TPB

Slaughter House Five TPB - I’ve not read the novel that this is an adaptation of so I had no expectations going in.  I really liked this!  It’s got a little bit of everything: WW2, Sci Fi, time travel, & human interest.  Big thumbs up and I may have to go get the real novel now!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS