HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 09:26:14 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, February 20, 2023  (Read 1585 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 20, 2023, 05:13:30 AM »

I’m already stoked about this week and will be jumping in early!

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal X-Men #8

Comixology
Image! 30th Anthology 8

DC Universe Ultra    
Action Comics 1051 
Justice Society of America 2 
Lazarus Planet: We Once Were Gods 1 
Human Target 11
Batman - One Bad Day: Catwoman 1
Detective Comics #1062 - Ram V - Let’s see if I like this better than Perry did.
Detective Comics #1063
Detective Comics #1064
Detective Comics #1065
Detective Comics #1066
Detective Comics 2022 Annual #1
Detective Comics #1067
Detective Comics 1068

Hoopla
Something is Killing the Children 27
Bloodshot Unleashed 1
Traveling to Mars 1
Once Upon a Time at the End of the World 1
That Texas Blood Vol 3 - Collects issues 14-19

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 05:35:33 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal X-Men #8

Comixology
Image! 30th Anthology 8

DC Universe Ultra    
Action Comics 1051 
Human Target 11
Detective Comics #1062
Detective Comics #1063
Detective Comics #1064
Detective Comics #1065
Detective Comics #1066

Detective Comics #1067
Detective Comics 1068

Hoopla
Bloodshot Unleashed 1
Traveling to Mars 1

Immortal X-Men #8 - Excellent issue!  Man how I love this book! A trip into the past with Mystique and Destiny bringing out some big reveals.  I wish this came out more often!

Image! 30th Anthology 8 - stories by Geoff Johns, Matt Fraction (2 stories), James Tynion IV, Skottie Young, Brenden Fletcher, Kieran Gillen, Paul Grist, Patrick Kindlon, & Dean Haspiel. Same feel as last issue.  Small progressions on fun short stories.

Detective Comics #1062 - Hmmm. Didn’t care for this start but it’s early. I did like the Jim Gordon backup story.

Detective Comics #1063 - A little better but I don’t care for the demon/Bar ba tos stuff. Still liking the Jim Gordon mystery though.  I’d like to see where this goes.

Detective Comics #1064 - Gets a little better with each issue but still not very good.  I’m really just hanging in to get to the next arc.  End of the Jim Gordon backup story I enjoyed. 

Detective Comics #1065 - I like how the main story merged with the Jim Gordon story.  I enjoyed this issue a lot more.  The backup Two-Face on the other hand was painful to get through.

Detective Comics #1066 - Finally Freeze enters the story. But as part of the larger tale.  It’s getting more interesting but I may bail if this Mr Freeze part isn’t good.  Backup Two-Face story had a small interesting part but overall was still not good.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 02:25:58 PM »

I am thankful that this weeks Big2 list is on the shorter side as I have to get to the end of BPRD this week. I have to and I'm going to.

Well, there's that jinx out of the way, hahaha

DCUltra
Action Comics #1051 - just to give it a try, take a look. Probably my last issue... maybe?  Grin
Lazarus Planet: We Once Were Gods #1 - Again, just to peek and see if this is better than the last go'round
One Bad Day: Catwoman #1
JSA #2
Human Target #11 (RE-READ)

MU
Immortal X-Men #8
Captain America & The Winter Soldier Special #1

Other
Spawn #297 (I bow my head in shame, but I am tired of the demands from the LCS 'boys that I try this)
Parker Girls #5
~B.P.R.D Hell on Earth v5 (Containing the Remaining Issues)
Cometh the Hour #1
Cometh the Hour #2
Cometh the Hour #3
Cometh the Hour #4
Cometh the Hour #5

Cap/Winter Soldier - 'tis okay, but I think I am going to be done after the next cap issue. But hey, maybe not. But yeah, probably

Immortal - My lack of "Sinister" knowledge perhaps left me in more wonderment than I should have been, but I still enjoyed this. Especially the art and coloring that blended so damn well!!! Major props to colorist David Curiel (yes, I looked that shit up!!) He's been around, but is this the first time with series artist Michele Bandidi? This art team knocked it out of the park here!!
BRAVO!!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 09:55:25 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 03:19:27 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal X-Men #8

Comixology
Image! 30th Anthology 8

DC Universe Ultra    
Action Comics 1051  
Human Target 11
Detective Comics #1062
Detective Comics #1063
Detective Comics #1064
Detective Comics #1065
Detective Comics #1066

Detective Comics #1067
Detective Comics 1068

Hoopla
Bloodshot Unleashed 1
Traveling to Mars 1

Detective Comics 2022 Annual #1 - Pretty good issue. Basically the history of the Orgham’s coming to Gotham in the 1700’s.  I enjoyed this much better.

Detective Comics #1067 - Excellent issue.  This title is taking a turn for the better. I was even ok with the ending to the Two-Face backup story.  I was hoping for more with Mr. Freeze but I liked what I got.

Detective Comics 1068 -  This issue was good enough to keep me onboard through the end I think. Backup story is back to Jim Gordon and I liked it.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 05:09:38 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal X-Men #8

Comixology
Image! 30th Anthology 8

DC Universe Ultra    
Action Comics 1051  

Human Target 11
Detective Comics #1062
Detective Comics #1063
Detective Comics #1064
Detective Comics #1065
Detective Comics #1066

Detective Comics #1067
Detective Comics 1068

Hoopla
Bloodshot Unleashed 1
Traveling to Mars 1

Action Comics 1051 - We’ll, of course I’m in for the Metallo story arc!  I’ve been waiting for this one!  Story #2 is from Jon Kent’s last when he’s still a little kid and it’s off to an interesting start.  Powergirl story is terrible though.  I couldn’t make it past 4 pages before I just flipped through the rest. Super hero therapist? No thank you.

Justice Society of America 2 - Great issue!  Very confusing but it’s supposed to be.  I think things will start to fall together next issue and I can’t wait to see Helena’s interaction with the team from the cliffhanger!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 03:12:08 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal X-Men #8

Comixology
Image! 30th Anthology 8

DC Universe Ultra    
Action Comics 1051  

Human Target 11

Detective Comics #1062
Detective Comics #1063
Detective Comics #1064
Detective Comics #1065
Detective Comics #1066

Detective Comics #1067
Detective Comics 1068

Hoopla
Bloodshot Unleashed 1
Traveling to Mars 1

Aquaman story - Not bad. But didn’t pull me in enough to pick up the Aquaman book.
     Martian Manhunter story - A good one shot story. And kind of sad.
     Wonder Woman story - by Phillip Kennedy Johnson, the writer of Action Comics War World storyline that I liked.  Is he the new Wonder Woman writer? I liked this and look forward to it continuing in Lazarus Planet: Revenge of the Gods.
     Shazam & Black Adam story - I liked it as it continued a thread from The New Champion of Shazam and included the new Black Adam; which I’m also reading. Looks like this is also continuing in Lazarus Planet: Revenge of the Gods.

Human Target 11 - Yep. Another excellent issue and my suspicion is confirmed.  I would have never guessed all the details but there it is.  Looking forward to the big wrap up next issue.

Batman - One Bad Day: Catwoman 1 - Hmmm. I liked this for the most part and would have said it was one of the best except…..I didn’t care for the end. But other than that it had some good art and the story was very engaging.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 03:14:41 AM »

Immortal - My lack of "Sinister" knowledge perhaps left me in more wonderment than I should have been, but I still enjoyed this. Especially the art and coloring that blended so damn well!!! Major props to colorist David Curiel (yes, I looked that shit up!!) He's been around, but is this the first time with series artist Michele Bandidi? This art team knocked it out of the park here!!
BRAVO!!

This is definitely the best of the X-books.  I totally agree on the great art.  Great stuff here.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 04:03:33 PM »

Up at 3 started reading
 Grin

DCUltra
Action Comics #1051
Lazarus Planet: We Once Were Gods #1
JSA #2
Human Target #11
~Teen Titans by Geoff Johns Book One (1-12+)
Teen Titans/Outsiders Secret Files (2003)  
Teen Titans #1
Teen Titans #2
Teen Titans #3
Teen Titans #4

MU
Immortal X-Men #8

Other
Spawn #297
Parker Girls #5
Cometh the Hour #1
Cometh the Hour #2
Cometh the Hour #3
Cometh the Hour #4
Cometh the Hour #5

BPRD - A GREAT "ending" (although not the end). I look forward, later  Grin, to reading the next and finale cycle. Again, someday in the future Wink but so glad I took the time to get through the first 32 trades (only counting the BPRD stuff Shocked Shocked Shocked) to reach this point. What a ride!!!

Parker Girls - More of a "crime mystery" than the usual "espionage" type issue and I enjoyed it, a lot. I beleive Jeff has gone to "trade waiting" this (as we used to call it before digital Grin) and I totally understand why. This series WILL read much better that way, but for some reason, as much as I want to do that very thing, I can't seem to stay away!! I thought this was going to be a 6 issue run, but it seems it is going to be a ten issue series so as much as I had given thought that his (correct) way would be better for me... I can't stay away that long.
 Grin

Lazarus Planet / Action Comics - Lots of stuff to look forward to and enjoy, for some... or most... but nothing here for me.

JSA - Yeah, with this however, the opposite. I am in love!!!

Human Target - Really just read (re-read) the last couple pages as I remembered them so fondly. Such a great story and superb pacing (even though, as I said, if I was paying for this I probably would have preferred a ten issue-mini, to save $10   Grin

Titans / Outsiders - Not a super issue by Johns, but it was also written by Judd Winnick so we can put the blame on him, perhaps?  Grin
Although I do honestly remember not hating Winnick's prose as much as everyone else back in the day... but I wasn't reading much of his stuff back then either so I am sure that helped my opinion  Cheesy Cheesy
The forward (or acknowledgment) by Johns was typical fare. Nothing new or exciting but it was there
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 09:55:08 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 05:11:57 PM »

A friend and I checked out a new LCS. I love going thru bins. My finds:

Blue Beetle (2006) #3, 4 ... possible movie tie-in
Flash #790, 791
New Teen Titans (1984) #3-5, 7, 16-20
Team Titans #6, 7

DCUltra.... this is for you, Perry
Action Comics #1049
Action Comics #1050
Flash #788
Flash #789
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 10:50:08 PM »

A friend and I checked out a new LCS. I love going thru bins. My finds:

Blue Beetle (2006) #3, 4 ... possible movie tie-in
Flash #790, 791
New Teen Titans (1984) #3-5, 7, 16-20
Team Titans #6, 7

Sweet, new LCS' are cool!!!

Cheesy
As Mathew Mc would say...
Alright, alright, alright
 Grin

Whatchoo think on the Action 1050? oh and 1051 up as well and we are all discussing that puppy. It wasn't for me, but I do hope it sticks. And by that I mean the anthology style of storytelling that it is going for. I like anthologies, just not in this instance, but hey... I can still want something to succeed  Grin

Flash I have no comment on, but Jimmy is all over that title... and I think Jeff (maybe)

and I have not yet read the Catwoman One Bad Day yet, but will soon (I am alone in not reading yet)
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 02:58:19 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal X-Men #8

Comixology
Image! 30th Anthology 8

DC Universe Ultra    
Action Comics 1051  

Human Target 11

Detective Comics #1062
Detective Comics #1063
Detective Comics #1064
Detective Comics #1065
Detective Comics #1066

Detective Comics #1067
Detective Comics 1068

Hoopla
Bloodshot Unleashed 1
Traveling to Mars 1

Something is Killing the Children 27 - Whoa.  This issue was effed up. Very scary! And so good!

Bloodshot Unleashed 1 - Great Bloodshot issue!  This Valiant comic remains as good as the ones before the company got bought out.  I’m so in for this!

Traveling to Mars 1 - This is an excellent start to this series.  Roy, a pet store manager, is chosen as the first man to go to Mars for one reason. Because he is terminally ill and has no expectation of returning.  That premise kicks off a fascinating exploration of both outer space and of a man’s final days.  Very well written and a story I’m going to enjoy continuing.

Once Upon a Time at the End of the World 1 - Jason Aaron end of the world tale.  And it’s as good as you’d expect from Jason Aaron’s independent work.  I liked this first issue and am completely hooked by the twist.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2023, 03:09:45 AM »

Paper Girls - More of a "crime mystery" than the usual "espionage" type issue and I enjoyed it, a lot. I beleive Jeff has gone to "trade waiting" this (as we used to call it before digital Grin) and I totally understand why. This series WILL read much better that way, but for some reason, as much as I want to do that very thing, I can't seem to stay away!! I thought this was going to be a 6 issue run, but it seems it is going to be a ten issue series so as much as I had given thought that his (correct) way would be better for me... I can't stay away that long.
 Grin

I finished all of these awhile back before the TV series premiered.  Six trades in all.  They were really good.  Another Brian K Vaughn classic though I heard the TV series wasn’t very good.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2023, 03:18:22 AM »

Flash I have no comment on, but Jimmy is all over that title... and I think Jeff (maybe)

Yes it is good!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2023, 03:20:29 AM »

Paper Girls - More of a "crime mystery" than the usual "espionage" type issue and I enjoyed it, a lot. I beleive Jeff has gone to "trade waiting" this (as we used to call it before digital Grin) and I totally understand why. This series WILL read much better that way, but for some reason, as much as I want to do that very thing, I can't seem to stay away!! I thought this was going to be a 6 issue run, but it seems it is going to be a ten issue series so as much as I had given thought that his (correct) way would be better for me... I can't stay away that long.
 Grin

I finished all of these awhile back before the TV series premiered.  Six trades in all.  They were really good.  Another Brian K Vaughn classic though I heard the TV series wasn’t very good.

Oh wait a minute…did you mean Parker Girls?  I’m thinking you might have.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 03:26:34 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2023, 09:52:57 AM »

Oh wait a minute…did you mean Parker Girls?  I’m thinking you might have.

HAHAHA, CRAP!!!

Yes I did.

What the....??

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Edit to add what I came here for.... hahaha

DCUltra
Action Comics #1051
Lazarus Planet: We Once Were Gods #1
JSA #2
Human Target #11
~Teen Titans by Geoff Johns Book One (1-12+)
Teen Titans/Outsiders Secret Files (2003) 
Teen Titans #1
Teen Titans #2
Teen Titans #3
Teen Titans #4

MU
Immortal X-Men #8

Other
Spawn #298
Spawn #299
Spawn #300
Spawn #301
Bloodborne: Death of Sleep Trade (issues 1-4) <--- ADDED
Parker Girls #5
Cometh the Hour #1
Cometh the Hour #2
Cometh the Hour #3
Cometh the Hour #4
Cometh the Hour #5

One Bad Day: Catwoman - This was fine. Pretty good but as Jeff and others have said or hinted at, could have wrapped up a tad better.

Spawn - Okay, I told the LCS guys I would read this trade (that I thought started at issue# 297 but was actually #298) because it introduces some of the new characters from some new Spawn titles that I thought looked cool. I knew it would not be easy because the issues I had to read, the ones with the intros to those characters I thought looked cool, are all written by Boy Todd. And I am not a fan of Todd McFarlane's writing one bit.
But hey, I made it through issue #298 well enough (still struggling for most of it) but I was only half successful in forcing my way through issue #299. I had to stop. I couldn't take McFarland's juvenile and repetitive (while at the same time contradictory) writing anymore. And look. I am not saying I could do better... although... with enough time and planning... heehee, maybe I could.
The LCS guys are saying I needed to read this to see what is going on in the non-McFarland written Spawn books that I had shown interest in, but I just can't do it. So I will either, eventually, jump-in feet first into those titles, with no past knowledge or I will just avoid them all together. The later is probably the safest bet.

Bloodborne - After the Spawn debacle I was still in the mood for creepy images, so I found the first trade for the Bloodborne series (based on the game) over on Hoopla and gave that I try. It was okay, but not as creepy as I had wanted.
Dang it!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 10:26:12 AM by Perry » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS