HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:51:17 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, February 6, 2023  (Read 1350 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 06, 2023, 05:35:18 AM »

Got busy over the weekend so, like Perry, I had to push some over to this weeks list.  Luckily there were only three comics from Marvel I want to read so a massive DC week it is!

Marvel Unlimited
Secret Invasion #1
Punisher #7
X-Men Red #8

DC Universe Ultra    
Danger Street 2 
Lazarus Planet: Alpha 1   
Human Target 10
Flash Annual 2022 #1
The Flash #787
The Flash #788
The Flash 789
The Flash 790
Titans United: Bloodpact #1
Titans United: Bloodpact #2
Titans United: Bloodpact #3
Titans United: Bloodpact 4
Gotham City: Year One #1 - Tom King
Gotham City: Year One #2
Gotham City: Year One 3
Gotham City: Year One 4   
Nightwing #97
Nightwing #98
Nightwing 2022 Annual #1
Nightwing 99   
Action Comics #1048
Action Comics #1049
Action Comics #1050

Comixology
Image! 30th Anthology #6 (of 12)
Image! 30th Anthology #7 (of 12)

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 01:54:23 PM »

Carried over far too much. No way I am making it, but hopefully find some gems.

DCUltra
Batman-Joker: Deadly Duo #2
Batman/Spawn #1
DCeased: War of the Undead Gods #5
Detective Comics #1064
Wonder Woman: Dead Earth #2
Wonder Woman: Dead Earth #3
Worlds Finest #11
Nightwing #100
Lazarus Planet: Assault on Krypton #1 (Maybe)  Undecided

MU
Strange Academy: Finals #1
Punisher #7
Secret Invasion (Just because Ryan North is writing and I want a preview of his work before his F.F #1)
Deadpool #1 (because I need some laughter and hopefully I will find it here)
X-Men Red #8 (because Jeff and Jimmy are keeping me interested... the assholes...  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Wink Wink)
Crossgen Tales (because I want to support this title/universe in the hopes it returns, as pathetic as that is)

Other
~B.P.R.D Hell on Earth v5 (Containing the Remaining Issues)
End of Days #1
End of Days #2
End of Days #3
End of Days #4
End of Days #5
Cometh the Hour #1
Cometh the Hour #2
Cometh the Hour #3
Cometh the Hour #4
Cometh the Hour #5

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 03:11:02 PM »

Worlds Finest #11
Nightwing #100
Lazarus Planet: Assault on Krypton #1 (Maybe)  Undecided

I’m pretty sure these three don’t come out on Ultra until next week (Feb 14).  Or did you pick them up at the LCS?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 07:22:17 PM »

Batman #132
Flash #791... apparently, last week's OMW special was part 2, not part 1.
Flash #792.... continuing the One Minute War

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 12:13:52 AM »

Batman #132
Flash #791... apparently, last week's OMW special was part 2, not part 1.
Flash #792.... continuing the One Minute War

You gonna start reading some digital books so we can discuss soon? Not knocking ya  Cool, but seems you stay one step ahead of us and we never talk.

Can I sound more like a chick?
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Worlds Finest #11
Nightwing #100
Lazarus Planet: Assault on Krypton #1 (Maybe)  Undecided

I’m pretty sure these three don’t come out on Ultra until next week (Feb 14).  Or did you pick them up at the LCS?

Yeah, I screwed up and went too far down the list in my rush to post this morning  Grin
Thanks, I would have been looking for them tonight or tomorrow and would be all kinds of pissed
 Cheesy Cheesy

Correcting now ...

DCUltra
Batman/Spawn #1
Detective Comics #1064
Danger Street #2
Human Target #10
Lazarus Planet: Alpha (still a maybe)  Undecided

MU
Punisher #7
Secret Invasion #1
Deadpool #1
X-Men Red #8
Crossgen Tales

Other
End of Days #1
End of Days #2
End of Days #3
End of Days #4
End of Days #5
Cometh the Hour #1
Cometh the Hour #2
Cometh the Hour #3
Cometh the Hour #4
Cometh the Hour #5

Crossgen - Dang it. What should've been. This company just grew too fast  Angry  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Secret Invasion - I will not be reading more, but I am super-stoked about this Ryan North guy writing the F.F now. This may not have pulled me into this mini-series, but it was very well written. I certainly see why some peeps may go all the way with this one, even though I shan't be one  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 09:11:23 PM »

I swung by the LCS today, just to say high and chat for a bit but I screwed up. After chatting, I walked over to the new comics wall and flipped through a book or two, but then picked up Human Target and didn't put it down until I finished.
 Cheesy

Undecided
Bad Perry

Smiley

DCUltra
Batman-Joker: Deadly Duo #3
Batman/Spawn #1
Detective Comics #1064
Danger Street #2
Human Target #10
Human Target #11

Lazarus Planet: Alpha (still a maybe)  Undecided

MU
Punisher #7
Secret Invasion #1
Deadpool #1
X-Men Red #8
Crossgen Tales

Other
End of Days #1
End of Days #2
End of Days #3
End of Days #4
End of Days #5
Cometh the Hour #1
Cometh the Hour #2
Cometh the Hour #3
Cometh the Hour #4
Cometh the Hour #5

Batman/Spawn - Started to read this, but did not know it was McFarland writing. I got to page... three I think before closing it? I may try again at a later time but I am not a big fan of his writing. Not when I have so much more to read.

Danger Street - Wow, things are so far apart yet slowly coming together so well. Quite interesting really, especially as I know so little about Lady Cop, Mikaal Tomas, The Green Team or The Dingbats but I am loving how I am getting introduced to them through the rest of the offbeat characters that I do know. And... super slight spoiler'ish...
how the Warlord singed into the hotel room was a nice shoutout

Human Target - Read #10 this morning while I was waiting for my physical therapy and enjoyed it a good deal. But maybe too much as later, after I went to pick up my dog from daycare, I decided to swing into the LCS. flipped through just a couple comics but when I saw issue #11 I had to read it. Ha. wow, one more to go now. Oh and Love
how the name of the pool hall was called Kevin and Keith's... for J.L.I reasons  Grin Grin

Punisher - Hmmmm,
more bad history revision. I did not like the way they showed Frank here. I know Jimbo hasn't bee too keen on the new Frank Castle history so I am sure he will not enjoy this. Usually I find the book's other qualities makes up for this "new" look into "old" Frank, but I am not sure it did make up for it this time. The issue was just okay and I need more than that if I am going to think about Frank in a different light like this.
Not a terrible issue, but... yeah, not enjoyable much either
 Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 01:04:58 PM »

another junk week where I had to re-install my DC app.  Angry

MARVEL UNLIMITED

She-Hulk 7 - I like this title. Quite a bit actually. Earlier mysteries may be coming into focus!!

X-men Red 7 - I was too tired, or just not in the mood. Didn't land for me, especially with being so Cable centric! That and walking back some characterization that I thought was gone.

Hulk 10 - This and last issue feel a bit bare bones, but I guess that's to be expected when the author is just 'done' with the title, and it's dead man walking to finish out this 'volume'

Deadpool 1 - I liked this beginning foray back into a regular Wade Wilson title.

Avengers Forever 10 - Still reading this. I know Jason Aaron is/has  building this grand opus of Avengers...but in the whole, I don't think it'll make the mark he hopes it will.

PUnisher 7 - Nope, Perry's write. I don't like the editing here of pre-war Frank. Not a bit. Current stuff is fine, but the past history...nope...

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 01:10:54 PM »

DC ULTRA

Human Target 10 - wee hee hee heh HEE!! Great title great issue! So sad, but so awesome we got 2 issues left!!

Planet Lazarus Alpha - did I miss a happenstance, or truly not remember Batman v Robin 4? Who are these antagonists??? Oh well, glad it's only minis and such, and leaving the rest of the books of the DC alone to do as they wish. I think that's better planning

Coming up

Danger Street 2
Flash 790
Deadly Duo 3
WildCats 3
Batman Incorporated 4

Hoopla

Moonshine, vol 1 & 2 - Brian Azzarello and Rissou of 100 Bullets reunite on this 1920s tale of NYC mobmen, back hills bootleggers, and werewolves!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 06:07:58 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Secret Invasion #1
Punisher #7
X-Men Red #8

ADD:  Crossgen Tales #1
ADD: Deadpool #1

DC Universe Ultra    
Danger Street 2  
Human Target 10
Flash Annual 2022 #1
The Flash #787
The Flash #788
The Flash 789
The Flash 790
Nightwing #97
Nightwing #98
Nightwing 2022 Annual #1
Nightwing 99   
Action Comics #1048
Action Comics #1049
Action Comics #1050

Comixology

Secret Invasion #1 - I like it!  I’ll be onboard this one.

Punisher #7 - Just can’t seem to drop this book.  It really is pretty good and has a great way of keeping me hooked.

X-Men Red #8 - Oh yeah!  Loved this issue and where it’s going.  So glad AXE is over and we’re back to the main books!

Danger Street 2  - Excellent!  This is a slow build up but there are so many characters that it needs to so each gets time to develop.  Going to be a wild ride!

Lazarus Planet: Alpha 1 - I don’t know. I really don’t care for this but at the same time I want to see how it plays out. This is my first introduction to Monkey Prince. And I hate him.

Human Target 10 - I knew it!  After reading the Human Target Tales special it dawned on me.  I guess I still don’t really know for sure as there’s always a twist. But I’m pretty dang convinced my suspicions were just confirmed!

« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 01:42:49 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 08:15:41 PM »

Can hardly move my arm, so nothing to do but read
 Cheesy

DCUltra
Batman-Joker: Deadly Duo #3
Batman/Spawn #1
Detective Comics #1064
Wonder Woman: Dead Earth #4

Danger Street #2
Human Target #10
Human Target #11

Lazarus Planet: Alpha

MU
Punisher #7
Secret Invasion #1
Deadpool #1
X-Men Red #8

Crossgen Tales

Other
End of Days #1
End of Days #2
End of Days #3
End of Days #4
End of Days #5
Cometh the Hour #1
Cometh the Hour #2
Cometh the Hour #3
Cometh the Hour #4
Cometh the Hour #5

X-Men Red - *Sigh* Bad news I didn't enjoy this. Worse, I can't honestly say why (and I've been trying to think on it). Good news is I only have the Immortal X book and Duggan'ss X-Men proper (at least for the short term  Grin) to stay up on.

Deadpool - This was okay, but not as good as I wanted. I have too much to read to keep up with this title.

Strange Academy - This I liked much more, but realized about halfway through that I am kinda over the idea of this title, sadly. It is still good, but I don't think I care too much anymore. I may come back down the line and reread the run. Well, this current volume I mean.

Lazarus Planet - Nope. Much like the Dark Crisis title before this I. Just. Don't. Care  Undecided

WW: Dead Earth - WOW. Now this was fun... in a pure "Black Label" way that is.  Cheesy This is not for the fans of... well...  hardcore fans that think DC should "only be this way", but I loved this VERY alternate take and won't soon forget the time Wonder Woman
ripped Superman's skull and spine from his already deceased body, then thread her lasso through his vertebrae, in order to forge one hell of a swinging mace weapon to fight with!!
  Cheesy Cheesy
Crazy, yes, but really enjoyed this 4 issue Black Label/Elseworld's tale set on an apocalyptic Earth Cheesy

DCeased: Gods - UGH... the inker sucked here. Trevor Hairsine's art has always been a tad sketchy (not sketchy as the urban diction describes it, but very angular and unfinished in first appearance kinda sketchy (but still looking good, just the style) but here, in this issue, the inker just went well beyond and exaggerated the style to a point of ugly. The issue was okay loved seeing what happened to a couple Lanterns  Grin Wink, but also loved the last couple pages where... someone... stepped up (though I am sure it will be short-lived. Hoping not though  Smiley)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2023, 06:06:52 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Secret Invasion #1
Punisher #7
X-Men Red #8

Crossgen Tales #1
Deadpool #1

DC Universe Ultra    
Danger Street 2  
Human Target 10
Flash Annual 2022 #1
The Flash #787

The Flash #788
The Flash 789

The Flash 790
Nightwing #97
Nightwing #98
Nightwing 2022 Annual #1
Nightwing 99   
Action Comics #1048
Action Comics #1049
Action Comics #1050

Comixology

Image! 30th Anthology #6 (of 12) - Still reading for the Geoff Johns story which is good. The Hack/Slash ones not bad either. The rest are up and down but mostly up.

Image! 30th Anthology #7 (of 12) - This one had a lot of good stories and creators.  The Geoff Johns story continues. Jay Faerber revisits Nobel Causes and Dynamo5.  Hack/Slash vs Image continues by Tim Seeley.  Kieran Gillen starts a new 3 parter. And Scottie Young’s regular comic strip.

Flash Annual 2022 #1 - Ugh. Not for me.  It’s basically a romance novel for Valentine’s Day.  If you like that sort of thing you’ll love this.

The Flash #787 - I guess this was ok.  I’m not really a wrestling fan.

The Flash #788 - this had me with page 2.  I am so psyched about this arc!

The Flash 789 - Cool. A true two-parter. This book seems to be back on track.  Should be interesting with the Rogues around as well.

The Flash 790 - Yes! This started the One Minute War off with a big bang!  I’m liking this a lot!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 06:53:48 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2023, 06:11:11 AM »

Strange Academy - This I liked much more, but realized about halfway through that I am kinda over the idea of this title, sadly. It is still good, but I don't think I care too much anymore. I may come back down the line and reread the run. Well, this current volume I mean.

While I can understand your feelings on the other titles, I’m definitely on the opposite side of you on this one.  I mean, this is the final arc that everything has been leading up to!  I’m loving it. Really sad it’s lost you.   Cry

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2023, 11:08:03 AM »

While I can understand your feelings on the other titles, I’m definitely on the opposite side of you on this one.  I mean, this is the final arc that everything has been leading up to!  I’m loving it. Really sad it’s lost you.   Cry

Oh yeah, I you're right, and I do enjoy the book, but I figure if I can just hold off and read a few titles that I enjoy but they don't matter if I miss the issues when they hit, I can read them collected and get caught up on my backlog.  Grin
I'm trying.
 Grin
Of course all I am doing is pushing the problem down the road... hahaha

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2023, 07:31:01 PM »

Looks like I"m trying Secret Invasion #1 then....

Danger Street 2 - enjoying the set up and the strangeness of all these stories that are slowly circling together

Flash 790 -beginning of the 1 minute war, and wow, poor Central City!!

Deadly Duo 3 - I just like reading this mini. It's what minis should be; interesting little story that could be occurring at any time, and that you like the art too!!

WildCats 3 -it's not Wilcats 3.0, but I have to realize that is not the central idea behind any Wildcats installment. But I do enjoy reading this, and really do enjoy what Grifter has become in this DCU merger since New 52.

Batman Incorporated 4 - and I'm digging this title as well, and I keep waiting for the Ghost Keeper to do a Batman thing and make the combat all resolve the way he wants!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2023, 09:28:42 PM »

Looks like I"m trying Secret Invasion #1 then....

Grin
Well cool, but keep in mind that there is nothing groundbreaking or heart-pounding in the issue, in fact the entire mini will probably be forgotten a month after the last issue hits, but even with all that said, I think it is a well written... a very well written beginning to this tale.
And as I've said (probably far too many times  Cheesy) it does have me super excited for the FF, though that may mean my hopeful outlook will soon fall like a Barry Goldwater presidential campaign
 Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS