HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:46:57 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 30, 2023  (Read 1319 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 30, 2023, 02:53:36 PM »

Last week of the month.  Whatcha gonna get in this week?

Hoopla
Saga #61
Star Trek: Year Five: Odyssey’s End Book One - (Collects issues 1-6)

Marvel Unlimited
A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #6
The Variants #4
Strange #7
Strange Academy: Finals #1
Amazing Spider-Man #12
Wolverine #26

DC Universe Ultra    
Batman 131      
Dark Knights of Steel 9   
Flash Annual 2022 #1
The Flash #787
The Flash #788
The Flash 789
The Flash 790   
Rogues #4
Titans United: Bloodpact #1
Titans United: Bloodpact #2
Titans United: Bloodpact #3
Titans United: Bloodpact 4
Batman/Superman Worlds Finest #7
Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #8
Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #9
Batman/Superman: World’s Finest 10

Comixology
Image! 30th Anthology #6 (of 12)
Image! 30th Anthology #7 (of 12)

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 09:13:19 PM »

Hoopla
Saga #61

Marvel Unlimited
The Variants #4
Strange #7
Amazing Spider-Man #12
Wolverine #26

DC Universe Ultra    
Batman 131      
Dark Knights of Steel 9   
Flash Annual 2022 #1
The Flash #787
The Flash #788
The Flash 789
The Flash 790   - doesn’t come out on Ultra until next week after all.
Rogues #4

Comixology

Saga #61 - Awesome!  Going to be a great twist!

Star Trek: Year Five: Odyssey’s End Book One - (Collects issues 1-6) - Pretty fun for a fan of the original series like me.  But if you’re not you’ll most likely find this just “ok”.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 01:16:29 AM »

Saga 61 was GREAT!!!

I did some back issue catching up of mine

DC INFINITE

Batman & Joker Deadly Duo 1 & 2: I'm here simply because it was Silvestri. The man can do some great panel work, but I understand why it takes him so long! A decent read

One Bad Day Dr. Freeze - A fine little story, I'd call it a B+, definetely glad I read it, but Nothing truly amazing

Gotham City Year one 1-4 : Okay, I should have trusted Tom King. With 2 issues left, this becomes a first download first read comic for me.

V or Vendetta - Half way done! Never read the series actually. So...overly verbose, froma  1981 Alan Moore. Unfortunately, there's just a lot you can easily skip, and some of it doesn't feel it aged well. The V and Evey moments are there, and rock solid! But some...is not

MARVEL UNLIMITED

I read late at night

Amazing Spider-man 12 ; If only this wasnt Romita Jr art! I'd so love this series and shout it from the mountains if not for that!!

AXE Judgement Day  6: So, this is actually the end of the series. Omega comes out yet, but that's only dealing in fallout plot lines that have develped with this ending. And my impression is ....so....what....

Strange 7 - I dig the book. I dig McKay. I'm not sure I understand, at least at 1230 in the morning how or why the Harvest man came to be the way he is, but I'm still in for the book!!

EDIT**

and Thunderbolts 3 was fine. Not great, but there's a better track being laid down that I can see now
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 01:24:00 AM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 03:51:11 PM »

Flash One-Minute War Special #1... not sure why but I am curious about this story and arc.
Team Titans #2-5.... found a great price on the lot on eBay. I already have #1 in a storage box that I need to pull out.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 05:17:44 AM »

Hoopla
Saga #61

Marvel Unlimited
The Variants #4
Strange #7
Amazing Spider-Man #12
Wolverine #26

DC Universe Ultra    
Batman 131      
Dark Knights of Steel 9   
Flash Annual 2022 #1
The Flash #787
The Flash #788
The Flash 789
The Flash 790   - doesn’t come out on Ultra until next week after all.
Rogues #4

Comixology

A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #6 - typical Gillen.  Starts out with an amazing idea and tanks the ending.  In the end, this was terrible. And there’s still the Omega issue.

The Variants #4 - Good issue! Looking forward to next issues finale!

Strange #7 - I can’t believe this is at issue 7.  I’m having a hard time remembering what’s been happening in this series.  That can’t be good, right? But I like what I read here. And it seems like the next issue will be even better.

Strange Academy: Finals #1 - GREAT FIRST ISSUE!! (even though I’m not sure why we couldn’t just continue with the original series) This is still my favorite Marvel comic these days. Easily one of the best series out.

Amazing Spider-Man #12 - Excellent story and battle. I am getting tired of JRJR’s art though. 

Wolverine #26 - Love this book! And this part one of the Beast arc is excellent on so many levels!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 09:30:27 PM »

Holy crap on a stick!!! two weeks since I have posted? WHAT???
How the...

Okay, well, I'm only throwing up what I can remember. I know I will forget something. But... starting with what I wrote two weeks ago and filling in one or two more as I remember them... maybe...
 Angry

DCUltra
Batman-Joker: Deadly Duo #2
Batman/Spawn #1
DCeased: War of the Undead Gods #5
Worlds Finest #10
Action Comics #1050
Nightwing #99
The Joker: The Man Who Stopped Laughing #4
Detective Comics #1062
Detective Comics #1063

Detective Comics #1064
Dark Knights of Steel #8
Dark Knights of Steel #9

MU
A.X.E #6
Fantastic Four: Atlantis Rising #1 (1995)
Immortal X=Men #7
Variants #4
Strange #7

Other
~Abe Sapien: Dark and Terrible Omni v2 (Remaining Issues)
The Garden (II) #1
The Garden (II) #2
The Black School (One-Shot)
Regressions #1
Regressions #2
Dark and Terrible Deep (One-Shot)
The Garden (III) (One-Shot)
The Desolate Shore (One-Shot)

Abe Sapien  - I did get through this omni, and while I found it decent enough, pretty good in-fact, I think I am just going to finish my Mignola Universe reading by getting up to date on the BPRD title only. I truly enjoy it more than anything, so I decided I am going to finish that, then (and only then) will I think about going back and reading some of the other titles

AXE - Now while I don't subscribed to Jeffs thoughts on Gillen  Grin I also can't disagree with him.
For one (and even though I knew ahead of time) this was... yeah, not the best.
For another (and the main reason), I haven't completed a lot of Giillen's longer stuff so I can't speak on the endings at all
 Grin
I still know he kicked the living shit out of his 10 issue Thor run (but maybe that is his limit? I don't know

FF Atlantis Rising - I, surprisingly, enjoyed this. Haha, so 90's, but yeah, for some reason the art didn't kill me. It didn't make me want to continue either  Cheesy, but yeah, this was worth the time. Maybe I just miss my beloved team so much that I bend over for stuff like this? Only another month until I dive back into the FF title proper. Can't wait (Hope it is good)

Immortal X - Spoke about this already, but yeah, still here on this title. Haha

Variants - Like Jeff said, a good issue. I enjoy this.

Strange - Was going to drop this about a month ago, but each month I read the next issue. Ha Looking forward to the next one now

Detective Comics - Finally bit the bullet and jumped back into this series. I so enjoy Ram V's writing so happy I came back. I had dropped out purely because of what I saw in the last panel (or so) of Ram's first issue, but... yeah... seems I should have gave it one more issue  Cheesy

Joker - I didn't enjoy issue #3 much, I enjoyed this one less so. I am thinking I am done, but I will give it one more to get me back. I find it is forced writing to get from Point A to Point B. Not taking a proper, reasonable way to do it, just getting there the easiest route. No matter how dumb it is... to me.  This entire hospital thing (dialog/actions/etc...) has been one eye roll after the next

Nightwing - How Jeff doesn't read this month to month I have no idea. I don't know how he does it. I love this each and every month. BEST. DC. HERO... currently  Grin

Action Comics - I think I will end up liking only 25% of what is inside this new anthology style Action series, but hoping it is more. I liked this.

Worlds Finest - WOW!!!! Now that is a way to end an issue!!! Great Tie-In (tie together) right there, Mr. Waid. I mean, seriously, I never would have guessed that that damn brat, Boy Thunder (oh whatever his name is)... that I have been hating on each and every issue that I seen him in would
end up being Magog from Waid's Kingdom Come!!!
I mean come the hell on!!!!
 Shocked Shocked

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 11:53:55 PM »

Hoopla
Saga #61

Marvel Unlimited
The Variants #4
Strange #7
Amazing Spider-Man #12
Wolverine #26

DC Universe Ultra    
Batman 131      
Dark Knights of Steel 9

Flash Annual 2022 #1
The Flash #787
The Flash #788
The Flash 789
Rogues #4

Comixology

Batman 131 - Excellent new arc.  I like where this is going.  Can’t wait to see what Batman finds on this world.

Dark Knights of Steel 9    - How did we not see that coming!?! It all makes perfect sense!  Great story!

Rogues #4 - Great ending to this Black Label book. One last heist for the Rogues and it goes…pretty much how you would expect.  But what a ride!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 03:47:57 AM »

Batman 131 - Iliked the issue, but LOVED the Tim Drake back up!!!

Joker 4 - creepy issue with all the kids. Didn't enjoy this for that

Dark Knights of Steel 9 - so cool. So compact of a story, but so good!!!

V for Vendetta 8-10 to finish it. Glad I did try going through it. But there was some terrible issues, with panels only about an inch big, and well, nothing felt distinct between characters at one point. But the main points came through! Glad I read it.

Prodigy Vol 2 (okay Millar World series, but I liked the first...and I liked reading the second!)

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 04:30:02 AM »

Prodigy Vol 2 (okay Millar World series, but I liked the first...and I liked reading the second!)

I thought about picking this up on Hoopla.  Might need to add it since you liked it.

Going to get to Worlds Finest next so I can read Perry’s spoiler!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 04:32:12 AM by Jeff » Logged

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 03:04:55 PM »

DC Universe Ultra    
Batman 131      
Dark Knights of Steel 9

Flash Annual 2022 #1
The Flash #787
The Flash #788
The Flash 789
Rogues #4

I am curious to know your thoughts on Titans United Bloodpact. The first mini was pretty good but I wasn't keen on the first issue of Bloodpact.

And the current arc in World's Finest is soooooo good. I look forward to it and Nightwing monthly.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 03:56:07 PM »

Hoopla
Saga #61

Marvel Unlimited
The Variants #4
Strange #7
Amazing Spider-Man #12
Wolverine #26

DC Universe Ultra    
Batman 131      
Dark Knights of Steel 9

Flash Annual 2022 #1
The Flash #787
The Flash #788
The Flash 789
Rogues #4

Comixology

Batman/Superman Worlds Finest #7-10 - This was sooo good!  Especially when you get to the last page of issue 10 for the big reveal. I’m so glad I didn’t read Perry’s spoiler ahead of time. I really love this book!

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 07:41:03 PM »

Went back to my LCS for bags and boards. Picked up Blue Beetle: Graduation Day #2 & 3.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 10:02:48 PM »

Went back to my LCS for bags and boards. Picked up Blue Beetle: Graduation Day #2 & 3.

I was indifferent to 2; hope 3 picks it up back!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2023, 01:38:33 PM »

Going to be carrying a lot of issues over into next week  Grin ... again...  Undecided but so happy to be back to Hell on Earth!!

DCUltra
Batman/Spawn #1
Worlds Finest #10
Action Comics #1050
Nightwing #99
Detective Comics #1062
Detective Comics #1063

Detective Comics #1064
Dark Knights of Steel #8
Dark Knights of Steel #9

MU
A.X.E #6
Immortal X=Men #7
Variants #4
Strange #7

Other
~B.P.R.D Hell on Earth v5 (Containing the Following Issues) <--ADDED
Nowhere, Nothing, Never #1
Nowhere, Nothing, Never #2
Nowhere, Nothing, Never #3
Modern Prometheus #1
Modern Prometheus #2

End of Days #1
End of Days #2
End of Days #3
End of Days #4
End of Days #5
Cometh the Hour #1
Cometh the Hour #2
Cometh the Hour #3
Cometh the Hour #4
Cometh the Hour #5

Dark Knights - Amazingly cool reveal that makes me super excited for the next issue

BPRD - Oh it feels so good to back reading the team. Looks like I have this omni and then one more (and maybe a trade or two?) and I will be finally caught up with this title. Getting deeper into Kraus in this one it seems which always makes me happy.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2023, 06:08:10 PM »

So a little edit here ---

So I opened up my tablet, hit the DC app and was all set to read something on my list from this week. Ya know, get at least one more issue in while I had the time. But for some reason, instead of reading one of those books on my list, I went perusing through the DC catalog and came across a WW book that looked interesting. Maybe it was the recent "Historia" book or maybe I just wanted to see some crazy art but regardless of the why, I chose to read Daniel Warren Johnson's "Wonder Woman: Dead Earth #1
I get about half-way through and I start getting this feeling... it is feeling that this is kinda familiar but I'll be damned if I could remember anything about it. I pushed through and while I ended up being really interested in it, I still had this deja vu'ish feeling. Well I found out why. It looks like over 2 years ago, I had read this very issue
 Cheesy

Wonder Woman: Dead Earth #1 - Decided to try the latest Black Label title. Pretty cool!

I liked it then and I liked it now  Cheesy

Going to add the next two issues to my list. Maybe I will even read them this time... or I will remember I already did?
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I will not get through my list this week, but I could have cut it down some had I not read.... reread this, but oh well.
 Grin

DCUltra
Batman/Spawn #1
Worlds Finest #10
Action Comics #1050
Nightwing #99
Detective Comics #1062
Detective Comics #1063

Detective Comics #1064
Dark Knights of Steel #8
Dark Knights of Steel #9

Wonder Woman: Dead Earth #1 <-- ADDED
Wonder Woman: Dead Earth #2
Wonder Woman: Dead Earth #3

MU
A.X.E #6
Immortal X=Men #7
Variants #4
Strange #7

Other
~B.P.R.D Hell on Earth v5 (Containing the Following Issues) <--ADDED
Nowhere, Nothing, Never #1
Nowhere, Nothing, Never #2
Nowhere, Nothing, Never #3
Modern Prometheus #1
Modern Prometheus #2

End of Days #1
End of Days #2
End of Days #3
End of Days #4
End of Days #5
Cometh the Hour #1
Cometh the Hour #2
Cometh the Hour #3
Cometh the Hour #4
Cometh the Hour #5

WW: Dead Earth - This was good, even the second time around  Cheesy, but if you didn't enjoy the Beta Ray Bill art, you will not like this. And also, WW is not the pretty lass you may know her as, in this one. So keep that in mind. WW butt ugly here  Grin Grin. Warren draws not for beauty, but for style.
 Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS