HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:54:31 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 2, 2023 - Happy New Year!  (Read 1979 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 02, 2023, 05:10:45 AM »

It’s the first comic book day of 2023! Happy New Year!

DC Universe Ultra    
The New Golden Age #1
Stargirl: The Lost Children #1 - Geoff Johns
Stargirl: The Lost Children   #2
Justice Society of America #1
Black Adam The Justice Society Files: Hawkman #1
Black Adam The Justice Society Files: Atom Smasher #1
Black Adam The Justice Society Files: Cyclone #1
Black Adam - The Justice Society Files: Dr. Fate #1
Black Adam #1
Black Adam #2
Black Adam #3
Black Adam #4
Black Adam #5
Black Adam #6
The New Champion of Shazam #1
The New Champion of Shazam #2
The New Champion of Shazam #3

Marvel Unlimited
A.X.E. Avengers #1
Gambit #3
Ant-Man #3
Genis Vell: Captain Marvel #3
Amazing Spider-Man #10 - AXE TIE-IN
X-Men # 15

Hoopla
Lazarus Risen #7
The Department of Truth Vol 4 - Collects issues #18-22

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 01:49:00 AM »

DC Universe Ultra    
The New Golden Age #1

Black Adam #1
Black Adam #2
Black Adam #3
Black Adam #4
Black Adam #5
Black Adam #6

Marvel Unlimited
A.X.E. Avengers #1
Gambit #3
Ant-Man #3
X-Men # 15

Hoopla
Lazarus Risen #7

The New Golden Age #1 - not at all what I was expecting but still very good. The JSA is back!

Stargirl: The Lost Children #1 & 2 - I liked it! I thought this might a little too “kiddie” for me but the mystery is compelling.  It’s kind of obvious where it’s going but I find I don’t care. The journey is fun!

Justice Society of America #1 - LOVE IT!! Another Geoff Johns masterpiece in the making!  Ok, it’s just the first issue but there is soooo much going on here! I’m really excited with this one.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 03:10:27 AM »

DC Universe Ultra    
The New Golden Age #1

Black Adam #1
Black Adam #2
Black Adam #3
Black Adam #4
Black Adam #5
Black Adam #6

Marvel Unlimited
A.X.E. Avengers #1
Gambit #3
Ant-Man #3
X-Men # 15

Hoopla
Lazarus Risen #7

Black Adam The Justice Society Files: Hawkman #1 - Sort of a “not so great” prequel to the Black Adam movie focusing on Hawkman. Mildly interesting if you liked the movie (I did). But would be excruciating if you didn’t.

Black Adam The Justice Society Files: Cyclone #1 - Cyclone is a surprise gem in the movie and fun to read here as well.  Nice to get her background.

Black Adam The Justice Society Files: Atom Smasher #1 - Another decent read.  Atom Smasher is also better than I had anticipated. 

Black Adam - The Justice Society Files: Dr. Fate #1 - and a decent wrap up to the prequels.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 04:00:38 AM »

DC Universe Ultra    
The New Golden Age #1

Black Adam #1
Black Adam #2
Black Adam #3
Black Adam #4
Black Adam #5
Black Adam #6

Marvel Unlimited
A.X.E. Avengers #1
Gambit #3
Ant-Man #3
X-Men # 15

Hoopla
Lazarus Risen #7

Black Adam #1 - 6 -  EXCELLENT SERIES!  I didn’t like the young guy at first but he grew on me.  And issue 6’s battle with Batman is a cherry on top!

The New Champion of Shazam #1 - 3 - I wasn’t too sure about this one at first but it quickly won me over.  My one complaint is that the press doesn’t know who she is.  Come on, Mary Marvel has been around forever.  It’s not like this is her first appearance.  But otherwise, I’m enjoying the drama and the mystery.  Issue 4 will wrap this all up!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 05:14:06 PM »

DC Universe Ultra    
The New Golden Age #1

Black Adam #1
Black Adam #2
Black Adam #3
Black Adam #4
Black Adam #5
Black Adam #6

Marvel Unlimited
A.X.E. Avengers #1
Gambit #3
Ant-Man #3

X-Men # 15

Hoopla
Lazarus Risen #7

A.X.E. Avengers #1 - Really just a focus on Iron Man not the Avengers.  Just ok. Not a must read.

Gambit #3  - Nice end to this arc.  Probably my last issue too.  It was a fun drop into the past with Mr. Claremont but not something I want to spend long term time with.

Ant-Man #3 - Enjoying this quirky book.  We get a villain reveal here and I like how the various Ant Men are tied together in this story.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 05:22:00 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 06:20:14 PM »

DC Universe Ultra    
The New Golden Age #1

Black Adam #1
Black Adam #2
Black Adam #3
Black Adam #4
Black Adam #5
Black Adam #6

ADD: Batman 130

Marvel Unlimited
A.X.E. Avengers #1
Gambit #3
Ant-Man #3

X-Men # 15

Hoopla
Lazarus Risen #7

Batman 130 - Went ahead and read this as it finishes the arc I was reading last week. Good ending to the Failsafe story but lots of questions for what happens next!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 04:55:03 AM »

DC Universe Ultra    
The New Golden Age #1

Black Adam #1
Black Adam #2
Black Adam #3
Black Adam #4
Black Adam #5
Black Adam #6

Batman 130

Marvel Unlimited
A.X.E. Avengers #1
Gambit #3
Ant-Man #3

X-Men # 15

Hoopla
Lazarus Risen #7

Genis Vell: Captain Marvel #3 - The story gets crazier and crazier!  Peter David is doing a good job with this series so far. From Earth to Hala to the microverse, this mystery just keeps growing!

Amazing Spider-Man #10 - AXE TIE-IN - Well finally a tie-in that I enjoyed reading!  I almost thought they brought Gwen back from the dead.  It would have been cool but I’m glad they didn’t go there.  It’s a better issue for not.

X-Men # 15 - Great!  We’re heading back to the Vault!  I hope it’s as good as the last trip.

Lazarus Risen #7 - And that’s a wrap for this series.  Excellent ending explaining everything and bringing the series to a close.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 04:56:33 AM »

I guess I’m the only one reading this week?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2023, 04:05:29 PM »

I guess I’m the only one reading this week?

Grin
Yeah, sorry about that. Been a crazier than expected week. I had no doctors appointments (other than yet another, different Ophthalmologist), no car dealership appointments, no... anything, yet I have been busy as hell. Not to mention my 3 days of virtually no sleep and I've just been out of it.

Haven't been in the mood for Marvel lately... not a bash, just... yeah... whatever. Just more into DC right now, well, some titles. I read one DC title that I can't seem to remember, so I will add that later. Still surprised/saddened by the lack of Marvel desire I have, but after talking to Jeff and Jimbo I did add X-Men #15 and they also have me a little more hopeful for Antman so I added that as well. Otherwise, I hope my Marvel love returns soon.

Getting close to the end (getting caught up) on the BPRD stuff, something I thought would take me years  Grin, so I am looking forward to reading other, non-Mignola'verse related stuff on Hoopla soon
 Grin

DCUltra
Batman #127 (back-up story only)
Batman #128 (back-up story only)
Batman #129 (back-up story only)
Batman #130
Joker: The Man Who Stopped Laughing #3

Batman-Joker: Deadly Duo #2

MU
AXE #5
Strange #6
X-Men #15
Ant-Man #1
Ant-Man #2
Ant-Man #3

Other
~B.P.R.D: Hell on Earth Omni v4 (Containing the Following Issues)
The Devil's Wings #1
The Devil's Wings #2
The Broken Equation #1
The Broken Equation #2
Grind (One-Shot)
Flesh and Stone #1
Flesh and Stone #2
Flesh and Stone #3
Flesh and Stone #4
Flesh and Stone #5
Exorcism #1
Exorcism #2

The Exorcist #1
The Exorcist #2
The Exorcist #3

Batman - Great little story in the back-up pages, decent enough main story that I have enjoyed... aside from total bullshit space shit.  Angry

Joker The Man Who Stopped (me reading this?) - Speaking of... The first two issues of this series was a surprise hit for me. I mean I really, really enjoyed them even though I am not a huge fan of Mathew Rosenburg. Credit where it is due however as I thought he did surprisingly well in his first foray into this character, the Joker series prior to this, but I was somewhat shocked I enjoyed the first two issues of this new title even more. Heck, even the first half of this issue as pretty darn good, yet then, the guy that wrote the abysmal (to me) U.S.Agent (along with Priest) reared his head and the issue went to total shit!!! Horrible pacing and astronomically silly deliver had me rolling my eyes all the way back in my skull. BAH!!! Hoping it was an anomaly as I have been enjoying this, but if this keeps... well... hoping for the best here.

BPRD - Interesting new character in the last couple issues has me, once again, pumped for reading stories from this world. Still think I prefer the B.P.R.D team stuff, when the stories are about or contain at least two or three "main members", but this is pretty good.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2023, 05:46:20 PM »

Haven't been in the mood for Marvel lately... not a bash, just... yeah... whatever. Just more into DC right now, well, some titles. I read one DC title that I can't seem to remember, so I will add that later. Still surprised/saddened by the lack of Marvel desire I have, but after talking to Jeff and Jimbo I did add X-Men #15 and they also have me a little more hopeful for Antman so I added that as well. Otherwise, I hope my Marvel love returns soon.

I feel the same way mostly.  I’ve been having to force myself to read them.  I think it’s this AXE event for starters.  It’s bled into way to many titles and it’s overall not that interesting.

Ant-Man and that X-Men title have been the exceptions for me.  And I’m enjoying the Genis-Vell book but even those aren’t screaming WOW for me.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 05:53:08 PM »

DC Universe Ultra    
The New Golden Age #1

Black Adam #1
Black Adam #2
Black Adam #3
Black Adam #4
Black Adam #5
Black Adam #6

Batman 130

Marvel Unlimited
A.X.E. Avengers #1
Gambit #3
Ant-Man #3

X-Men # 15

Hoopla
Lazarus Risen #7

The Department of Truth Vol 4 - Collects issues #18-22 - This title has gotten much better at story progression.  Things are coming to a head as we get the history of Russia’s  Ministry of Lies.  Cliffhanger at the end promises big things are here!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 10:48:21 PM »

Going to go ahead and add this one for this week.  Perry will be happy.  Grin

DC Universe Ultra    
Catwoman: Lonely City #1
Catwoman: Lonely City #2
Catwoman: Lonely City #3 
Catwoman: Lonely City #4

————————————————————————-

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2023, 04:24:03 AM »

DC Universe Ultra    
Catwoman: Lonely City #1
Catwoman: Lonely City #2

Catwoman: Lonely City #3 
Catwoman: Lonely City #4

————————————————————————-

Catwoman: Lonely City #1 - Loved this!  A Black Label book that takes place 10 years after Batman’s death.  Fascinating to see how everyone left has been affected and the big changes in Gotham as a result.  And a big mystery for Catwoman that takes us back to that pivotal day.  Big thumbs up for this start.

Catwoman: Lonely City #2 - a little too much of a side trip for my tastes but still a fun read.  It’s starting to feel a little “Oceans Eleven” but I love that movie.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2023, 04:31:44 AM »

Okay, I better add my books tomorrow.

I just HAD to buy Once and Future #29 for 99 cents off Amazon. It just had NOT come to hoopla, and whatever, it's a dollar. This way I can read 29, and my hoopla #30 (YEAH that's RIGHT, hoopla skipped 29 in my county! WTF!!!)

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2023, 02:29:04 PM »

I did it! I got caught up! (mostly! Wink )

MARVEL UNLIMITED

Thunderbolts 1&2: I don't like Hawkeye written as an utter goof. While its entertaining enough in his solo book, watching him  act like...how they currently always write Scott Lang ...I don't need all the less than stellar humans in Marvel written like morons. That's it, I don't like watching these heroes written like morons. That, I DO like reading this title so far!

Avengers 1 Mil BC, Avengers Forever 8 & 9: These were fine. They are all essentially Elseworlds short stories to me, but as I've said, too much EW stuff to me can make our own heroes feel a bit derivative at times. Also, I guess I'm not still 100% behind what Aaron is doing/has done with Avengers.

Ghost Rider: Vengeance Forever: an annual essentially. It's fine.

Ant-Man 2&3: first issue was weird in the reading experience, but once I caught on, ish 2&3 were really run and cool! Looking forward to the final issue!

Amazing Spider-man 10: AXE tie in...a really good tie in! And a great gotcha moment too! Really liked it! Even if Dragotta's art doesn't work for me here in a Marvel book, as opposed to how I enjoyed it on East of West.

Thor 27: Okay, Venom is running into this title for...reasons. SAY; you guys read how Donny Cates is basically dumping/being dumped from his current  stuff? He'll be done very soon, hence the lateness of Thor here, and Ryan Ottley is actually finishing drawing AND writing Hulk 10-14 before that book is cancelled! Hope Cates is okay!

Cap Sam 4: Fine issue to a point. I think I'm on Wakanda's side here, what with Cap Sam being the invader. He doesn't get to tell the country what they should do. Sorry.

X-men 15: Whoa. That's what I gotta say. Wish I coiuld remember the first time I ever saw the Vault.

AXE Avengers 1: you mean AXE Tony Stark? I won't lie, I essnentially didn't read this book, except for the specific Tony Stark mental moments. That I was good with. largely forgettable.

New Fantastic Four 4: Has not inspired me as a reader like the Maestro books did. This can end. Sorry Peter David.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS