HR Boards
April 16, 2024, 10:14:02 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, December 26, 2022  (Read 1260 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 26, 2022, 02:28:48 PM »

Hope ya feel better Jeff!!

Look, I think it comes as no surprise when I say that the comic issue that I, and I suspect most everyone of us digital guys, are most looking forward to this week is JSA.
 Smiley
Still, I am happy that the upcoming week's list from the big two is small, at least for me. It will give me more time to explore more Hoopla read options. And by that I mean to explore new, non-BPRD related stuff. I have 3 credits left this month and I am planning on using only one on new BPRD... but we will see how that goes. The next BPRD "omni" is really, really short, only 10 issues(?) so who knows...
 Grin

EDIT - Seems they broke up the trade collections for this next BPRD Omni. So far each omni has included three trades, and this one had shown to contain issues from trades #10 and #11 yet I saw no #12, so I assumed they only included the two trades. Instead of trade #12, this one actually contains trade #14, the one that I didn't see originally as it wasn't in order, so I am adding them in now. My bad
 Smiley

DCUltra
JSA #1
Nightwing 2022 Annual

MU
AXE #5
Strange #6

Other
~Abe Sapien: Dark and Terrible Omni v1 (Remaining Issues)
The Garden: part I (Short Story told in three parts)
The Healer (Short Story)
Visions, Dreams, and Fishin' (Short Story)
Sacred Places #1
Sacred Places #2
~B.P.R.D: Hell on Earth Omni v4 (Containing the Following Issues)
The Devil's Wings #1
The Devil's Wings #2
The Broken Equation #1
The Broken Equation #2
Grind (One-Shot)
Flesh and Stone #1
Flesh and Stone #2
Flesh and Stone #3
Flesh and Stone #4
Flesh and Stone #5
Exorcism #1
Exorcism #2
The Exorcist #1
The Exorcist #2
The Exorcist #3

« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 02:41:05 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 02:56:59 PM »

Comixology
Parker Vol 4: Slayground by Darwin Cooke
Parker Girls #1
Parker Girls #2
Parker Girls #3

DC Universe Ultra    
Shadow War
Shadow War Zone #1
Deathstroke Inc #9
Robin #14
Shadow War Omega #1

Batman Annual 2022 #1
Batman #124
Batman #125
Batman #126
Batman #127
Batman #128
Batman #129

Marvel Unlimited
A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #5
Strange #6
Fantastic Four #47 - AXE Tie-in
Avengers #60 - AXE Tie-in

Hoopla
Dark Spaces: Wildfire #4
Dark Spaces: Wildfire #5

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2022, 03:23:31 PM »

Hey, it's Monday the 26th, and there is new comics and drops! Look at me getting to this ahead of time!

MARVEL UNLIMITED

Avengers Forever 9
AXE Judgement Day 5
Legion of X 5 (this will be the last issue, unless, if...it's somehow...ok, probably last issue!)
Jane Foster & Mighty Thor 4
Strange 6

However, in the background is....
Avengers 1 Mil BC #1
Avengers Forever 8
Spider-man Exodus 2099 5 & Omega
Ant-Man 2
Thunderbolts 1
New Fantastic Four 4
....just a bunch of books I don't have excitement for...and I feel like I'm reading them becuase they are there...which means maybe I just shouldn't? But there are 2 -3 #1s and a 2, so it's barely old at all! Just gotta give them a try

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2022, 04:04:14 PM »

Avengers Forever 9

Hey man, let me know how this hits for ya? I saw a preview of some upcoming Avengers issues and it looks like there are going to close out here soon in a 9 (10? 11? 12?) part finale, so I may sneak back in for the last 12-pack of issues if this part of the two sided equation is decent enough

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 07:41:32 PM »

Comixology
Parker Girls #1
Parker Girls #2
Parker Girls #3

DC Universe Ultra    
Shadow War
Shadow War Zone #1
Deathstroke Inc #9
Robin #14
Shadow War Omega #1

Batman Annual 2022 #1
Batman #124
Batman #125
Batman #126
Batman #127
Batman #128
Batman #129

Marvel Unlimited
Strange #6

Hoopla

Being sick does have one upside.  I’m getting some great reading done!

Parker Vol 4: Slayground by Darwin Cooke - Another good Parker book.  Heist gone bad leads to a stand off in an amusement park.  Lots of fun here.

Parker Girls #1 - BWAHAHAHAHA! Great start to this new Terry Moore series! Going for a spin with the Parker girls is going to be so much fun.

Parker Girls #2 - Oooo. The plot thickens and even answers bring more questions.

Parker Girls #3 - Excellent issue.  My only complaint is that it’s hard to tell some of the characters apart.  Moore tends to draw his brunettes all the same way. But I think this Alex girl is going to be his next great character.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 05:09:13 PM »

Action Comics #1050...Wow! there are some really cool variant covers.
Tales from Earth-6 a Celebration of Stan Lee  #1... decent price for a 20 year old compilation
Wonder Woman Historia The Amazons #3

Whether it's a physical book or digital, I see DC is wrapping things up for next month's big Lazarus event.
Ugh. Gonna pass and dive into the old archives.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 11:11:48 AM »

*yawn*
I am tired, won't be long

DCUltra
JSA #1
Nightwing 2022 Annual

MU
AXE #5
Strange #6

Other
The Healer (Short Story)
Sacred Places #1
Sacred Places #2

The Devil's Wings #1
The Devil's Wings #2
The Broken Equation #1
The Broken Equation #2
Grind (One-Shot)
Flesh and Stone #1
Flesh and Stone #2
Flesh and Stone #3
Flesh and Stone #4
Flesh and Stone #5
Exorcism #1
Exorcism #2
The Exorcist #1
The Exorcist #2
The Exorcist #3
--------------------------
Beware the Eye of Odin #1
Beware the Eye of Odin #2
Beware the Eye of Odin #3
Beware the Eye of Odin #4

Parker Girls #1
Parker Girls #2

Parker Girls #3

Parker Girls - Terry Moore doing what he does best, reminding us all that women can teetotally fuck men up if they desire to do so  Grin

Abe Sapien - Still enjoying this side of the Mignola'verse but very glad to be returning to the team book as well

Nightwing Annual - Story one was revealing, story two was cute, story three was not very good, for me anyway.

JSA - Oh how I am down for this puppy. Oh Yeah. Great start!!!
 Smiley
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 11:13:47 AM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 08:42:52 PM »

MARVEL UNLIMITED

Avengers Forever 9 (still haven't read)

AXE Judgement Day 5 -I read it...and there is some cuteness of a story beat for the final page, but only now do I come to realize that the continued monolog of these normal human characters is really important to the overall story. But please, be done soon.

Legion of X 5 (this will be the last issue, unless, if...it's somehow...ok, probably last issue!) UPDATE: This was nonsensical dribble. What the hell were you trying to write, Si?!

Jane Foster & Mighty Thor 4 - It's been interesting, not great. I don't think I appreciate it like I should.

Strange 6 - I really continue to like where McKay is taking his story!

However, in the background is....
Avengers 1 Mil BC #1
Avengers Forever 8
Spider-man Exodus 2099 5 & Omega
Ant-Man 2
Thunderbolts 1
New Fantastic Four 4
....just a bunch of books I don't have excitement for...and I feel like I'm reading them becuase they are there...which means maybe I just shouldn't? But there are 2 -3 #1s and a 2, so it's barely old at all! Just gotta give them a try
UPDATE: and STILL haven't read!

DC ULTRA

Here we go!

Action Comics 1049: Johnson has been doing a great job of justy laying, and layering, plot threads and happenstances, and hooks through his time here. He can stay around Superman for a long, long time!!

Superman: Kal-El Returns Special: I enjoyed the first story, and the third. Some decent, and cute stuff. Nothing I would have ever paid for on my own, once upon a time, but I'll read it here.

Nightwing Annual 2022: I really liked the first story, 2nd was cute but nothing I really fell for, and the 3rd I differ from Perry.

Detective 1066 & 2022 Annual: Lots of history lessons, and moving machinations going forward, with Bruce so behind, and rather clueless about  it all!! And Ivan Reis art on Detective art, I should have mentioned that more the past 2 issues! So good!!

Justice Society of America 1 -gimme more , gimme more! It's the best way to develop a story; have some characters you kinda know and like, throw a mystery into all of it, and keep people guessing and in the dark for a long time, to keep them coming back! There's always the question of what happens after this story finishes, but hey, that's for a nother whole time! Cheesy

Blue Beetle Graduation Day 1 : I am a fan of Jaime Reyes, his family, his friends, his scarab, so I'm down for this. Art style isn't my style, but I can read it (unlike Tim Drake Robin...you hear me make mention of that? Wink ), and this story feels it fits in the vibe and motif of all the past BB stories. I'm in. I hope it leads to character success and exposure.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 04:05:45 PM »

Comixology
Parker Girls #1
Parker Girls #2
Parker Girls #3

DC Universe Ultra    
Shadow War
Shadow War Zone #1
Deathstroke Inc #9
Robin #14
Shadow War Omega #1

Batman Annual 2022 #1
Batman #124
Batman #125
Batman #126
Batman #127
Batman #128
Batman #129

Marvel Unlimited
Strange #6

Hoopla

Shadow War Zone #1 - a collection of short stories that aren’t necessary for the story.  Only the Black Canary story was interesting.

Deathstroke Inc #9 - ugh this art is abysmal. But the story progression is good.  I’m going to take a guess at the assassins true identity. 
I think it’s GeoForce. Vengeance for Terra.
That only works if there is a connection to Talia or the Lazarus pit I’m not aware of but I think it would be cool.

Robin #14 - Yes! I called it! Villains identity revealed! And the connection is revealed as well.  Great twists in this fun plot.

Shadow War Omega #1 - Excellent ending and epilogue.  I guess I should have read this before starting Dark Crisis.  It would have made some things in Dark Crisis make more sense.  I really enjoyed this event and how it played out.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 04:51:59 PM »

Agreed, Jeff.

With the Ultra subscription coming at the time that it did, everyy part of Shadow War dropped at the same time. There were problems of length and clunkiness within it, but to read it through all in one buzz, hey, makes it really worthwhile!

and nice inductive work there for the mystery villain!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2022, 03:27:31 PM »

Not much reading going on. I feel like such a "Jeff"
 Grin

DCUltra
JSA #1
Nightwing 2022 Annual

MU
AXE #5
Strange #6

Other
Beware the Eye of Odin #1
Beware the Eye of Odin #2
Beware the Eye of Odin #3
Beware the Eye of Odin #4

Parker Girls #1
Parker Girls #2

Parker Girls #3
The Healer (Short Story)
Sacred Places #1
Sacred Places #2

The Devil's Wings #1
The Devil's Wings #2
The Broken Equation #1
The Broken Equation #2
Grind (One-Shot)
Flesh and Stone #1
Flesh and Stone #2
Flesh and Stone #3
Flesh and Stone #4
Flesh and Stone #5
Exorcism #1
Exorcism #2
The Exorcist #1
The Exorcist #2
The Exorcist #3

Parker Girls - First couple of pages were pretty dialog heavy for a Terry Moore title  Grin but he has the chops for it. Great ending/set-up for the next few issues. Next 50 issues I hope, but...  Sad

Eye of Odin - Every now and then the guys at the LCS drop me a suggestion for a book to try and most of the times they are bang on. I usually read what they suggest and walk away happy that I tried. This time, well, I am glad I tried, but this wasn't as much of a powerful read as I had hoped. It was fine, don't get me wrong, and maybe it was just a "mood" thing (which we all know can affect a title greatly) but I don't think that was the situation here.
I will give a major thumbs up to the artist (whom I have just forgotten  Cheesy) as it seems this mini was his first ever comic work. That is pretty insane thinking back on this. Sure, there were some blocking issues, and perspective could have been tighter at times, but for a "first comic", this was not bad at all. If you don't mind that style of art, of course.
YEah, this was fine, but... ya know...

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 01:00:17 AM »

Comixology
Parker Girls #1
Parker Girls #2
Parker Girls #3

DC Universe Ultra    
Shadow War
Shadow War Zone #1
Deathstroke Inc #9
Robin #14
Shadow War Omega #1

Batman Annual 2022 #1
Batman #124
Batman #125
Batman #126
Batman #127

Batman #128
Batman #129

Marvel Unlimited
Strange #6

Hoopla

Batman Annual 2022 #1 - This is basically a preview for the new Batman Incorporating series.  It was better than I thought it would be. I am still not sure if it has enough to get me to invest in the new series but I might try out the first arc.

Batman #124 - finale for the Abysss storyline.  Zdarsky starts next issue!

Batman #125 - Great start to Zdarsky’s run! Love the twist with the Penguin and a search for his children!

Batman #126 - Fun battles and always love seeing the family all together.  Not a fan of where this seems to be going but I trust Zdarsky enough to see it through.  The backup Catwoman story is the most fun though. Addison and Aiden have my attention!

Batman #127 - the part I didn’t care for didn’t last long and then this got really good! Love the cliffhanger appearance!  I bet Jimmy does too.  Good end to the Catwoman backup story.  I like the new direction for the Cobblepots.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2023, 03:21:55 AM »

Comixology
Parker Girls #1
Parker Girls #2
Parker Girls #3

DC Universe Ultra    
Shadow War
Shadow War Zone #1
Deathstroke Inc #9
Robin #14
Shadow War Omega #1

Batman Annual 2022 #1
Batman #124
Batman #125
Batman #126
Batman #127

Batman #128
Batman #129

Marvel Unlimited
Strange #6

Hoopla

Batman #128 - Enjoyed this issue a lot.  This story has won me over.

Batman #129 - Failsafe just won’t lose! More dramatic battles here and hopefully close to a resolution.

Strange #6 - Good ending to a slow issue.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2023, 04:53:26 AM »

Comixology
Parker Girls #1
Parker Girls #2
Parker Girls #3

DC Universe Ultra    
Shadow War
Shadow War Zone #1
Deathstroke Inc #9
Robin #14
Shadow War Omega #1

Batman Annual 2022 #1
Batman #124
Batman #125
Batman #126
Batman #127

Batman #128
Batman #129

Marvel Unlimited
Strange #6

Hoopla

A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #5 - Finally starting to fill like we are close to the end of this.  I don’t think I like where it’s going though with this cliffhanger.

Fantastic Four #47 - AXE Tie-in - another fake tie-in to get you to read this separate story. Boring.

Avengers #60 - AXE Tie-in - the Celestial judges Hawkeye.  And a horrible issue is complete. Ugh. Skip this one.

Dark Spaces: Wildfire #4 & 5 - Predictable but good ending nonetheless.  Nice little heist mini using criminal firefighters.  A bit of a different spin on a by the numbers story.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS