HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:29:43 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, December 12, 2022  (Read 1228 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 12, 2022, 01:39:27 PM »

Got an early start this morning as I was up at 3, making coffee and a little breakfast for the wife before she left for work... nah, just kidding, I just made coffee  Grin (hey, I would have made her breakfast but she doesn't eat that early)

Bigger DC week as I need to catch up on the two from last week I didn't get to and finally hit some of that Tom Taylor DCeased, the final round
Grin
Heck, looks like Marvel has some heft to it as well as I need to catch up on that Punisher series. I had read the first two issues, but I am behind, need to get caught up.
May have to re-borrow my Hoopla book by the time I am done
 Grin

DCUltra
The Nice House on the Lake #11
WildC.A.T.s #1
DCeased: War of the Undead Gods #1
DCeased: War of the Undead Gods #2
DCeased: War of the Undead Gods #3
DCeased: War of the Undead Gods #4
Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #9
Nightwing #98
GCPD: The Blue Wal #2
Batman - One Bad Day: Mr. Freeze #1

MU
The Variants #3
Punisher #2 (Re-read)
Punisher #3
Punisher #4
Punisher #5
Punisher #6
A.X.E.: Death to the Mutants #2 <-- This is listed before Immortal on the checklist, so maybe read prior
Immortal X-Men #6
Alien #1
Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty #4

Other
~ The Amazing Screw On Head and Other Curious Objects TPB (Collects the following)
The Amazing Screw On Head (One-Shot)
Abu Gung and the Beanstalk
The Magician and the Snake
The Witch and Her Soul
The Prisoner of Mars
In the Chapel of Curious Objects

~ B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth - Omni v2 (Collects the following stories)
Wasteland #1
Wasteland #2
Wasteland #3
Cold Day in Hell #1
Cold Day in Hell #2
Lake of Fire #1
Lake of Fire #2
Lake of Fire #3
Lake of Fire #4
Lake of Fire #5
The Reign of the Black Flame #1
The Reign of the Black Flame #2
The Reign of the Black Flame #3
The Reign of the Black Flame #4
The Reign of the Black Flame #5

Screw-On Head - Kind of disappointing. It was listed as a "to be read" prior to the BPRD Omni that I am ready to start and I wasn't going to at first... and I should have listened to myself as this was... well... it was fine but had NOTHING to do with the Hellboy universe so I should have just waited on it. Plus it is written in the pulp style, much like Lobster Johnson and while I enjoy my pulp when I am in the mood for it, I wasn't expecting it here.
 Angry
Also of note, this contained a repeat of The Magician and The Snake. The short story that was plotted by Mignola's seven year old daughter that was in the Hellboy in Hell collection, that I had just read about 8 hours ago
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 01:59:54 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 01:42:51 PM »

Wow. This month is really flying by!  I’ve still got a lot of these left from my last two weeks’ lists. 

DC Universe Ultra    
Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths
Dark Crisis #4
Dark Crisis The World Without a Justice League - Wonder Woman #1
Dark Crisis: Young Justice #4
Flash #786
Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths #5
Dark Crisis: The Deadly Green #1
Dark Crisis: World Without A Justice League - Green Arrow #1
Dark Crisis: Young Justice #5
Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths #6 

Marvel Unlimited
Gambit #2
The Variants #3
Ant Man #2
X-Men #14
X-Force #31
A.X.E.: Death to the Mutants #2
Immortal X-Men #6
Marauders #6 - AXE Tie-in
Punisher #6
Wolverine #24

Comixology
Parker Vol 4: Slayground by Darwin Cooke

Hoopla
Reckless Vol 5: Follow Me Down

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 01:54:08 PM »

Wow. This month is really flying by!  I’ve still got a lot of these left from my last two weeks’ lists. 

Yeah man, you "gots to get wit it"  Grin

Not used to you reading so few comics. Certainly not used to me reading more than you  Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 04:53:32 AM »

DC Universe Ultra    
Dark Crisis #4
Flash #786

Marvel Unlimited
Gambit #2
The Variants #3
Ant Man #2
X-Men #14
X-Force #31
Immortal X-Men #6
Punisher #6
Wolverine #24

Comixology

Hoopla

Dark Crisis #4 - At the mid point of the story and things are coming together.  Love seeing Barry and Hal together.

Dark Crisis The World Without a Justice League - Wonder Woman #1 - Wonder Woman story wasn’t very interesting.  The Martian Manhunter story was fun to look at. Had a bit of a “Watchmen” feel to it.

Dark Crisis: Young Justice #4 - this issue got way too CW like. But at least we finally got a villain reveal!

Flash #786 - that’s a wrap for this tie-in. I’m digging the whole Flash family now that it looks like they’re all back.  Although I’m hoping we don’t get too much of the kids. That could get annoying.

Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths #5 - it’s starting to get too big in scope like all these crises eventually do.  But the players are finally together.

Dark Crisis: The Deadly Green #1 - I like the parallel with those old Swamp Thing issues. Having a seance is a nice touch.  I’m ready for this to start wrapping up though.

Dark Crisis: World Without A Justice League - Green Arrow #1 - Ouch. That was really lame. Both stories.

Dark Crisis: Young Justice #5 - Man this is really getting dragged out.  I’m liking the villain but come on. Let’s wrap this up!

Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths #6 - I’m finally caught up! And only one more battle to go!  I’ve mostly enjoyed this but it does run a little too long.  I’ll be glad to see how this all falls out next issue!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 07:26:06 PM »

Couple changes...

DCUltra
The Nice House on the Lake #11 <-- Already forgotten some characters. Waiting to read it all at once.
WildC.A.T.s #1
Batman vs Robin #3 <-- Added as I forgot to put it on my list the first time
Nightwing #98
GCPD: The Blue Wall #2
Dark Crisis: Big Bang #1 <-- Saw it sitting on the shelf, had to do a quick read

MU
The Variants #3
Punisher #2 (Re-read)
Punisher #3
Punisher #4
Punisher #5
Punisher #6

Immortal X-Men #6
Alien #1

Other
~ The Amazing Screw On Head and Other Curious Objects TPB (Collects the following)
The Witch and Her Soul
The Prisoner of Mars

Wasteland #1
Wasteland #2
Wasteland #3
Cold Day in Hell #1
Cold Day in Hell #2
Lake of Fire #1
Lake of Fire #2
Lake of Fire #3
Lake of Fire #4
Lake of Fire #5

Dark Crisis: Big Bang - No spoilers... One of those reads that is only worth it if you are enjoying the event I think.  Undecided

Batman: Freeze - This was okay, still nothing coming close to the Riddler one, but this was probably my second or third (keep going back and forth between this and the Penguin one for second best), but certainly better than the Two-Face one. I did like the way Scalera (Black Science) drew Batman, as a change of pace, even though I wouldn't want it like that always, more of the Miller or Curt Swan/ Bill Finger barrel style Batman, but I like that on occasion. Just hoping the Catwoman issue also fits in the "better than" category

Wildcats - Yeah, nothing I need to be here monthly for. Will try again when the mini is done.

A.X.E Death of Mutants - Meh

Punisher - Finally getting back to this and sadly... yes sadly... I now have to add it back into my monthly reads Cheesy I liked reading the issues back-to-back, but not sure I can go back to waiting for multiple issues now... I want to know what's next right now!

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 02:56:26 PM »

Batman Incorporated #3
Dark Crisis: Big Bang #1
Superman: Son of Kal-el #18.... final issue.  Sad

Still playing catch-up on previous weeks. 
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 05:55:11 PM »

DC Universe Ultra    
Dark Crisis #4
Flash #786

Marvel Unlimited
Gambit #2
The Variants #3
Ant Man #2

X-Men #14
X-Force #31
Immortal X-Men #6
Punisher #6
Wolverine #24

Comixology

Hoopla

Gambit #2 - Not bad, not great. Enough to hold my interest as an X-Men fan.

The Variants #3 - enjoyed this issue. Looking forward to next issue.

Ant Man #2 - Ha! The Irredeemable Ant-Man is back!  Nice trip down memory lane.

Punisher #6 - I’m not really liking this new spin on Punishers origin and yet, I still like this book. I am sucked in by the last page and am looking forward to the next issue.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2022, 04:06:22 PM »

DC Universe Ultra    
Dark Crisis #4
Flash #786

Marvel Unlimited
Gambit #2
The Variants #3
Ant Man #2

X-Men #14
X-Force #31

Immortal X-Men #6
Punisher #6
Wolverine #24

Comixology

Hoopla

X-Men #14 - this issue was ok but it should have been saved for outside the AXE event. Really had nothing to do with it.  I also hate preachiness in my comics. It was unnecessary.

X-Force #31 - Hmmm.  Not one of the best issues.  The cliff hanger gives the next issue promise but this one was ah bit of a dud.

A.X.E.: Death to the Mutants #2 - I’m getting bored with this crossover and we’re not even halfway through it.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2022, 04:07:37 PM »

Just a couple more off the checklist.
Really getting behind on my BPRD this week
 Undecided

DCUltra
WildC.A.T.s #1
Batman vs Robin #3
Nightwing #98

MU
The Variants #3
Punisher #2 (Re-read)
Punisher #3
Punisher #4
Punisher #5
Punisher #6

Immortal X-Men #6
Alien #1

Other
The Witch and Her Soul
The Prisoner of Mars

Wasteland #1
Wasteland #2
Wasteland #3
Cold Day in Hell #1
Cold Day in Hell #2
Lake of Fire #1
Lake of Fire #2
Lake of Fire #3
Lake of Fire #4
Lake of Fire #5

Nightwing - A cute fill-in, but I thought it could've been better. I know I shouldn't be so negative about it, but I just felt as "fun" as it was to see that character, I should have felt more. The art was great... fitting of such a tale, but yeah, I think Taylor could have done a tad better with it. Okay, end of grumpy old man talk
 Grin

GCPD: The Blue Wall - This is a really good book. Art is great and fits the feel of the book and the writing is tight. That said,, I think this is a perfect "read when collected" title. But you should most certainly do so!!

Immortal X-Men - ... And then I get this.  Undecided The writing is fine, the art is fine, the story is (by and large) fine, but I am really starting to hate the X-Men even more now. Maybe not hate as much as not liking them? These are not F'n heroes.
Plus I am interested in the villains now, which I guess by transitive nature I should be enjoying the X-Men as that is how most of them appear to be to me Tongue but I am not. May continue with this after AXE, maybe, but it will only be for Sinister. I want more of him, even if I have to deal with Sebastian Shaw and this NEW version of Professor X and the gang. I mean even Storm is now... I don't know... no longer Storm.

Alien - Volume two starts off interesting enough,
with the army trying to convince five synthetics to help them handle a Zenomorph laden planet.
I do suggest reading the Alien Annual before reading this. Something I did not do  Cheesy

Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty - Still enjoying this,
even though I thought "Revolution" decided to join Steve a little too soon in the process.
But just nitpicking.

Guess I ended this comic recap the way I started. Grumpy Gus!
 Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2022, 04:24:03 PM »

Hoping to get a couple more issues in while I watch pre-game stuff today, but as of now...

DCUltra
WildC.A.T.s #1
Batman vs Robin #3
Nightwing #98

MU
The Variants #3
Punisher #2 (Re-read)
Punisher #3
Punisher #4
Punisher #5
Punisher #6

Immortal X-Men #6
Alien #1

Other
The Witch and Her Soul
The Prisoner of Mars

Wasteland #1
Wasteland #2
Wasteland #3
Cold Day in Hell #1
Cold Day in Hell #2

Lake of Fire #1
Lake of Fire #2
Lake of Fire #3
Lake of Fire #4
Lake of Fire #5

Batman Vs Robin - Read this a couple days ago, marked it off the list. So as I forgot to discuss it further after marking it "read/red", I guess that says it all. Meh

Worlds Finest - I am really not enjoying
this new... 'superboy', at all really, so I hope Joker has good plans for fucking him up
  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Dang, that is two issues by Waid that have left me feeling a bit jaded, what I need is to get back to both good Mark Waid writing and... hows about some Tom Taylor (not writing a 5th dimension character)  Wink

DCeased - Yep, loving this, but still scared what may yet to happen. That is what makes this series kind of cool too. I get worried. I like that at times.
One question about the end of the last mini... the one prior to this one... my brain is acting up again and
while I think I remember that he was infected, why did Supes stay in the sun? I see they had to literally pull him out, but was he staying there to stave off the infection or... hell... I can't remember.
Anyone remember? I just don't want to look it up
 Cheesy Cheesy

BPRD - Man, the new artist on the first mini gave me the Walking Dead vibes of Adlard. Didn't look like his art, at all, but after the style of the other artists, having one that drew more... (I hate to say this) realistic, and with the theme of the last couple Omnis, and the new members, it does bring back that "wonder/wander" feeling of the zombie world here in this different monster plagued Earth. It felt more like a Walking Dead style of book from it's art, alongside the story this time. Again, this isn't Walking Dead, there is more fantastical elements here (creatures that fly, huge monsters, that kind of thing) but for the first time, thanks to the art, it has taken on more of a apocalyptical feel, LIKE a Walking Dead or a WWIII fallout book, more than before.
Will say the writing isn't as tight as prior though. That sucks as it is only Mignola and Arcudi wrote on this, and I usually like Arcudi's stuff. Mignola had gotten better at writing as well, but... I don't know, maybe it is just the tonal shift? I don't think so, but could be possible. 

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2022, 02:04:49 PM »

Almost finished DCeased
 Angry

DCUltra
WildC.A.T.s #1
Batman vs Robin #3

Nightwing #98

MU
The Variants #3
Punisher #2 (Re-read)
Punisher #3
Punisher #4
Punisher #5
Punisher #6

Immortal X-Men #6
Alien #1

Other
The Witch and Her Soul
The Prisoner of Mars

Wasteland #1
Wasteland #2
Wasteland #3
Cold Day in Hell #1
Cold Day in Hell #2

Lake of Fire #1
Lake of Fire #2
Lake of Fire #3
Lake of Fire #4
Lake of Fire #5

DCeased - Just F'n good.
'Nuff said

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2022, 09:26:18 PM »

I think Perry has replace me as the big reader each week!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2022, 02:11:21 PM »

I think Perry has replace me as the big reader each week!

And THAT sir, is sad as hell.
(Although I think Jimmy far exceeds us both, he just has a different "read dump" than us  Grin)

Regardless, you need to get back to reading, darn it
 Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS