HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:39:12 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, November 28, 2022  (Read 2052 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 28, 2022, 01:35:10 PM »

I forgot I got this weeks Marvel stuff a week early so nothing there for me this week.  I’m also out of Hooplah borrows for the month!  Thankfully I have a ton of DC to read thanks to Ultra so it looks like I’m going to spend this week in the Dark Crisis!

Comixology
Parker Vol 4: Slayground by Darwin Cooke

DC Universe Ultra    
Justice League Annual 2022 #1

The Road to Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths
Justice League Vs The Legion of Super-Heroes #1
Justice League Vs The Legion of Super-Heroes #2
Justice League Vs The Legion of Super-Heroes #3
Justice League Vs The Legion of Super-Heroes #4
Justice League Vs The Legion of Super-Heroes #5
Justice League Vs The Legion of Super-Heroes #6
Justice League #75
Justice League The Road to Dark Crisis #1

Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths
Dark Crisis #1
Dark Crisis: Young Justice #1
Flash #783
Dark Crisis #2
Dark Crisis The World Without a Justice League - Superman #1
Dark Crisis: Young Justice #2
Flash #784
Dark Crisis #3
Dark Crisis The World Without a Justice League - Green Lantern #1
Dark Crisis: Young Justice #3
Flash #785
Dark Crisis #4
Dark Crisis The World Without a Justice League - Wonder Woman #1
Dark Crisis: Young Justice #4
Flash #786
Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths #5
Dark Crisis: The Deadly Green #1
Dark Crisis: World Without A Justice League - Green Arrow #1
Dark Crisis: Young Justice #5

------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 03:39:12 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 01:40:45 PM »

Well Jeff posted this thread right before I did so I will just copy and paste my list over.

But Jeff, it is the 28th... not the 29th.
 Smiley

With Marvel throwing up THIS week's list of comics last week by mistake... for a few hours... long enough for us to grab all the comics we wanted before they took them down  Grin there is not much to be read. Other than me grabbing the Cap issue I somehow missed last week (from that Marvel error) and me finally deciding to try... TRY to read the last few issues of FF before they restart, there would be nothing to read this week

With DC, it seems I am in a Bat-Villain mood as I am only listing three issues, and they are all either Joker or Riddler related.

DCUltra
The Joker: The Man Who Stopped Laughing #2
Batman & The Joker: The Deadly Duo #1
The Riddler Year One #1

MU
Fantastic Four #46
Captain America: Symbol of Truth #4

Other
~ B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth - Omni v1 (Collects the following)
New World #1
New World #2
New World #3
New World #4
New World #5
Seattle (short story)
Gods and Monsters - Gods #1
Gods and Monsters - Gods #2
Gods and Monsters - Gods #3
Gods and Monsters - Monsters #1
Gods and Monsters - Monsters #2
Russia #1
Russia #2
Russia #3
Russia #4
Russia #5
An Unmarked Grave (short story)

« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 04:18:32 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 03:40:27 PM »

But Jeff, it is the 28th... not the 29th.

Oops!  Ok, I fixed it.  Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 04:53:26 PM »

Jeff you should REALLY skip the dark tie ins of wonder woman, green lantern, and green arrow.

The dark green explains a background event in the main series, and it's generally.. Okay in my thinking.

Superman is a really decent read.

And maybe you can stomach Bendis More then me, but I did not read his work of JL vs losh, as it isn't needed for dark crisis, but if you are being a completist, then complete away! Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 05:25:59 PM »

Jeff you should REALLY skip the dark tie ins of wonder woman, green lantern, and green arrow.

Completely agree.
As I said in my comments after I read them, only Superman is worth the time.

Now I forgot which one had the Martian Manhunter back-up (they all have back-up stories) and it may have been the Supes one, but that one, the Manhunter one, was the only back-up story that had any meat to, in my eyes, and THAT wasn't anything to phone home about. All the other ones had either such terrible art or after a page or two I found I didn't want to read further.

But hey, yeah, if you can do it or want to do it, knock it out, buddy
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 11:01:39 AM »

Knocked out the Marvel stuff... meh, but man it feels good being back in the "current" BPRD storyline

DCUltra
The Joker: The Man Who Stopped Laughing #2
Batman & The Joker: The Deadly Duo #1
The Riddler Year One #1

MU
Fantastic Four #46
Captain America: Symbol of Truth #4

Other
~ B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth - Omni v1 (Collects the following)
New World #1
New World #2
New World #3
New World #4
New World #5
Seattle (short story)
Gods and Monsters - Gods #1
Gods and Monsters - Gods #2
Gods and Monsters - Gods #3

Gods and Monsters - Monsters #1
Gods and Monsters - Monsters #2
Russia #1
Russia #2
Russia #3
Russia #4
Russia #5
An Unmarked Grave (short story)

FF - Well, I tired. Slott sure didn't. "ba-dum-tssh"  Grin I read through the first 8 or 9 pages, couldn't take it any longer, so flipped to the last two pages. Just not for me. Not sure I will try the AXE tie-in stuff or not, but I am sure I will at least peek.

Cap Symbol - This was better than the FF, though hardly an accomplishment, but I'm not as into this story as the Steve one. I do love the art (although I can't stand the panel where the sun is clearly behind Sam yet he has shadows of trees on his F'n face, like the light is coming from behind us, the readers  Angry Angry Angry), but yeah, just not pulling me in as much as the first couple issues did.

BPRD - HELL YEAH!!! I was so into this puppy I couldn't put it down. I read the two Marvel books waiting for the game to start last night. I watched the first half of the Steeler/Indy game, but of course, couldn't stay up for the entire thing. Shut down the tablet and fell asleep. Woke up to catch the last 10 minutes of the fourth quarter and then wanted to read Just. One. Freaking. Issue of BPRD to help me get settled back in to sleep.
HA. You can see how that went. A couple hours later, up at 4:40 this morning... I think I had 3 or 4 hours of sleep last night but it was so worth it. It is so great to be back!
 Smiley

Oh yeah, I was reading the intro stuff on this omni and it appears the artist that has been doing most of the art for BPRD, Guy Davis, will be leaving here at some point in this book. That makes me sad because while I honestly struggled at first to get into his style... it is very loose, very fast and unstructured at times, I do find I have not only gotten used to it, but I think I will miss it. I was reminded in the intro, that the most of the monster design was solely from Davis (and then redesigned with notes from Mignola) and while there is nothing truly special about the creatures, they also have such a freaky look that they do come off as quite eerie. From the Elder Gods style of the Hyperborean monsters to the Salton Sea monster to Daryl the Wendigo, his stuff is so damn cool to me... now.
We have Harrow County artist Tyler Crook coming on as lead soon, and I like his water color look, but I will miss the messy, creepy art style of Guy Davis.
(Ya just got to love the notation that the image below is shown with "Chest Teeth Open", although it looks more like "crotch teeth open" to me Cheesy Cheesy)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 10:10:04 PM »

Comixology

DC Universe Ultra    

Justice League #75

Dark Crisis #1
Flash #783
Dark Crisis #2
Flash #784
Dark Crisis #3
Flash #785
Dark Crisis #4
Flash #786

Justice League Annual 2022 #1 - Weird one shot story dealing with time and guest starring OMAC.  I think this was Bendis’ last DC story and it was just meh.

Justice League Vs The Legion of Super-Heroes #1 - Ok I didn’t hate this like I thought I would.  Benndis’s diarrhea of dialogue is still annoying but I’m a little intrigued by the plot.

Justice League Vs The Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - I’ve made it through two issues and I’m still engaged.  The Gold Lantern possible tie in to the great darkness has me curious.

Justice League Vs The Legion of Super-Heroes #3 - Well, I hate to admit this but I’m actually enjoying this story. It has some issues, like Batman does not sound like Batman and the League & Legion are teaming up, not fighting each other as the title states.  In my mind these are some alternate time line Legionnaires and not the true Legion.  Thinking this helps me get past my bias and I’m getting into this story.  Time travel stories generally hook me so that helps too.  But yeah, I’m having fun with this.

Justice League Vs The Legion of Super-Heroes #4 - Fun little team ups between members of both teams.  At least they are using the Legionaries that most resemble their true counterparts; Saturngirl, Brainiac 5, Mon-el, Ultra Boy, Dawnstar, etc.  Time to start winding down to the end…

Justice League Vs The Legion of Super-Heroes #5 - All right. A surprise reveal I wasn’t expecting. Should make this ending interesting. Turns out it may tie into that Annual I read above!

Justice League Vs The Legion of Super-Heroes #6 - oh man! That ending sucked! Damn you typical Bendis!  I can’t believe I let myself get sucked in. A great 5 issue buildup for an after thought kind of ending.  Grrrrrrr.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 03:08:25 AM »

Comixology

DC Universe Ultra    

Justice League #75

Dark Crisis #1
Flash #783
Dark Crisis #2
Flash #784
Dark Crisis #3
Flash #785
Dark Crisis #4
Flash #786

Justice League #75 - continuing the story from Justice Incarnate and kicking off Dark Crisis.  Pretty good start.

Justice League The Road to Dark Crisis #1 - thankfully this was just an unnecessary prelude.  It wasn’t very good.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 03:12:25 AM »

Completely agree.
As I said in my comments after I read them, only Superman is worth the time.

Thanks guys but I’m planning on reading them all.  I want to get the complete picture.  I’m already enjoying the brief mentions back to those old Swamp Thing issues.  I’m hoping for more of the same even in not so great books.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 04:21:04 PM »

DC's Grifter Got Run Over by a Reindeer #1
Nightwing Annual #2022

Hey, Jeff! Let me know what you think of Justice League Vs The Legion of Super-Heroes. I flipped through the first issue when it was released but didn't pick it up.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 08:54:16 PM »

Thanks guys but I’m planning on reading them all.  I want to get the complete picture....

And I understand, just don't know how much of a "picture" you are going to be getting with those Cheesy
The Young Justice stuff I couldn't get past the first issue so I am not sure how much "meat" is there. Heck I didn't think the Dark Crisis issues were anything either... stopped after issue #5 I think and have no plan on going back, but hopefully you will dig them. Heck, hope you enjoy every single issue!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 10:07:39 PM »

DC's Grifter Got Run Over by a Reindeer #1
Nightwing Annual #2022

Hey, Jeff! Let me know what you think of Justice League Vs The Legion of Super-Heroes. I flipped through the first issue when it was released but didn't pick it up.

I wound up really liking the first five issues but the drastic change in the plot and consequent way it all ended really disappointed.  Too bad as well since it had promise and then completely blew it.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 10:13:47 PM »

Thanks guys but I’m planning on reading them all.  I want to get the complete picture....

And I understand, just don't know how much of a "picture" you are going to be getting with those Cheesy
The Young Justice stuff I couldn't get past the first issue so I am not sure how much "meat" is there. Heck I didn't think the Dark Crisis issues were anything either... stopped after issue #5 I think and have no plan on going back, but hopefully you will dig them. Heck, hope you enjoy every single issue!

I think having read those two Alan Moore Swamp Thing issues have probably helped my enjoyment with the road to dark crisis.  There’s a lot of nods back to it.

Also, those Swamp Thing issues have the following big impact on the DC world that is still in effect today.
They are the issues where Zatara dies in front of Zatanna.  Sauron the Sorcerer also dies here.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 12:27:34 AM »

That's cool, Jeff, and glad you had fun with it, but with the current stuff... bad or uninteresting writing is still bad and uninteresting. THAT is all I got from what I did read of Dark Crisis. I am sure the Swamp Thing stuff was cool, but it dang sure wouldn't have helped me, personally, have more fun with Dark Crisis. Well, maybe  Grin, but it damn sure not those tie-in issues you are set to read.

But hey, not trying to talk you out of reading them as much as I was trying to stop you from possibly wasting time  Cheesy Cheesy, but if you try and end up enjoying what you read then THAT is a good thing. For all of us, because if we (or me more likely  Grin) need to, we... I can ask you questions that you may have answers to now that you read the full stuff I stopped.
 Smiley

But yeah, I do hope you enjoy it, It just wasn't for me. I have more faith in in Flashpoint, and I will get to that... someday
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 05:46:06 AM »

Comixology

DC Universe Ultra    

Justice League #75

Dark Crisis #1
Flash #783

Dark Crisis #2
Flash #784
Dark Crisis #3
Flash #785
Dark Crisis #4
Flash #786

All right, here we go!  I’m really trying to jump into this with an open mind.  I think I can do it.

Dark Crisis #1 - This kicks off with a bang and so far I like it. I like the character interactions and the insecurities that some of them have.  

Dark Crisis: Young Justice #1 - I was prepared to hate this after hearing what others thought about this mini. But I didn’t!  I don’t know what’s going on yet but I liked this issue.  Kind of fun seeing the old Young Justice together again.

Flash #783 - A little cheesy but I still enjoyed this kick off to the search for Barry Allen.  I’m going to enjoy all the different speedsters in this arc.  Feels like the old days again.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS