HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 04:00:57 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, October 31, 2022 - HALLOWEEN!!!  (Read 1190 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 31, 2022, 04:16:51 AM »

Nothing too spooky to read here but I’ll hide out from the little monsters with these books tonight!

Marvel Unlimited
Ant Man #1 - Al Ewing!
Gambit #1 - Chris Claremont!
Genis-Vell: Captain Marvel #1 - Peter David!
Strange #4
The Variants #2

DC Universe Infinite    
Action Comics #1042
Action Comics #1043
Action Comics 2022 Annual #1
Action Comics #1044
Action Comics #1045
Action Comics #1046
Superman Warworld Apocalypse #1
Action Comics #1047

Hoopla
Basilisk #11
Basilisk #12
Little Monsters #4
Little Monsters #5
Little Monsters #6
Primordial #6

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 02:11:11 PM »

A lot more than I thought for this week...

EDIT - Had three more credits on Hoopla to burn before tonight, so I added three more issues.  Roll Eyes

DCUltra
Batman #125 (Re-Read? Wait... did I read this?)
Batman #126
Batman #127
Batman #128
Joker: The Man Who Stopped Laughing #1 (Because Jeff got me into the last series... like I don't have enough to F'n read!)

Angry

Grin  Wink

MU
The Variants #1 (re-read)
The Variants #2
Strange #1 (re-read)
Strange #2 (re-read)
Strange #3
Strange #4
Genis-Vell #1
Captain America: Symbol #1 (Re-Read)
Captain America: Symbol #2
Captain America: Symbol #3
Daredevil v6 #30

Other
~ B.P.R.D 1946-1948 Omnibus (list of remaining issues)
B.P.R.D 1946 v1
 - 1946 #4
 - 1946 #5
B.P.R.D 1947 v1
 - 1947 #1
 - 1947 #2
 - 1947 #3
 - 1947 #4
 - 1947 #5
B.P.R.D 1948 v1
 - 1948 #1
 - 1948 #2
 - 1948 #3
 - 1948 #4
 - 1948 #5
Bloodshot #2
The Boogyman #1
The Boogyman #2

« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 04:18:36 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 09:58:14 AM »

As I stated prior, like I don't have enough to read...
I added a couple more freakin' DC books that I was not planning to add  Grin

DCUltra
Batman #125
Batman #126
Batman #127

Batman #128
Joker: The Man Who Stopped Laughing #1
Gotham City Year One #1
Dark Crisis #5
Dark Crisis Deadly Green #1

MU
The Variants #1
The Variants #2
Strange #1
Strange #2
Strange #3

Strange #4
Genis-Vell #1
Captain America: Symbol #1
Daredevil v6 #30

Other
B.P.R.D 1946 v1
 - 1946 #4
 - 1946 #5
B.P.R.D 1947 v1
 - 1947 #1
 - 1947 #2
 - 1947 #3
 - 1947 #4
 - 1947 #5
B.P.R.D 1948 v1
 - 1948 #1
 - 1948 #2
 - 1948 #3
 - 1948 #4
 - 1948 #5
Bloodshot #2
The Boogyman #1
The Boogyman #2

Batman - Okay, while I wasn't immediatly pulled into this story as I had hoped, the second issue did help a lot and by the third issue I was all in. It is still an odd choice for a first arc, this story, doesn't have that first arc vibe to it, but hey as long as it works out in the end I suppose. I am in it now so there ya go. Also, just putting this out there, am not reading the entire book as I can't do the art in the Catwoman backup story. Just the main Bat book for me

Strange - I almost stopped reading this after my re-read of the first issue, as I wasn't feeling it, I wasn't in the mood for MacKay I guess, but I didn't want to read much else, so I plowed through and man am I glad I did. Issue #3 was damn cool. What Clea did to... well, yeah, that was cool
 Grin
Football came on right after I finished that issue so I didn't complete the 4th, with its cool as hell cover
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 12:37:23 PM »

Got a sick puppy so "walking time" became "reading time" while he gets some sleep.

DCUltra
Batman #125
Batman #126
Batman #127

Batman #128
Gotham City Year One #1
Dark Crisis #5

MU
The Variants #1
The Variants #2
Strange #1
Strange #2
Strange #3

Strange #4
Genis-Vell #1
Daredevil v6 #30

Other
B.P.R.D 1946 v1
 - 1946 #4
 - 1946 #5
B.P.R.D 1947 v1
 - 1947 #1
 - 1947 #2
 - 1947 #3
 - 1947 #4
 - 1947 #5
B.P.R.D 1948 v1
 - 1948 #1
 - 1948 #2
 - 1948 #3
 - 1948 #4
 - 1948 #5
Bloodshot #2
The Boogyman #1
The Boogyman #2

Dark Crisis Swamp Thing - First of all, make sure you read this before Dark Crisis #5 as there is something that comes up in that from this issue. That said, while I enjoyed seeing the one DC character that has made, in my opinion, way too little noise in this Universe (although I understand why) the rest of this issue was... well... not well written in my opinion. There is an underlaying confusion to this entire series, made even more with this issue. Now I get what has occurred here, but how we got there and why could have been shown better is all.

Dark Crisis - I still don't see it. Don't see why this book is receiving such high praise and grades from THIS site I usually go to for ratings (A couple 10's even?) as I am still a little lost as to what the heck is truly going on. I get the main idea behind it, I mean, I understand WHAT is going on, but I don't get why it is done in such a... I don't know... A "guy trying to be Morrison but not getting there" kind of way? I honestly don't feel anything with this series. There is no "wow" factor", there is no emotion inside these pages, even though there is suppose to be, and the whole thing seems somewhat broken. Especially now that what I thought may happen may not even happen now? Meh, I will read the sixth issue, but I should have just kept to my guns and walked away after issue #2.
And I like Williamson this is not a jab at him. I like his stuff, usually, but I just don't like this at all.

Joker - BUT THIS? Holy cow-pie, this was awesome sauce served over some fantastic, meaty art with a side of soup. Don't forget the soup. This was pretty, pretty, pretty good!!! Hard to believe that Mathew Rosenberg has turned into such a good writer for me!
 Smiley

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 06:44:17 PM »

Got a sick puppy so "walking time" became "reading time" while he gets some sleep.

Dark Crisis - I still don't see it. Don't see why this book is receiving such high praise and grades from THIS site I usually go to for ratings (A couple 10's even?) as I am still a little lost as to what the heck is truly going on. I get the main idea behind it, I mean, I understand WHAT is going on, but I don't get why it is done in such a... I don't know... A "guy trying to be Morrison but not getting there" kind of way? I honestly don't feel anything with this series. There is no "wow" factor", there is no emotion inside these pages, even though there is suppose to be, and the whole thing seems somewhat broken. Especially now that what I thought may happen may not even happen now? Meh, I will read the sixth issue, but I should have just kept to my guns and walked away after issue #2.
And I like Williamson this is not a jab at him. I like his stuff, usually, but I just don't like this at all.

I wondered about this too. If the goal was to
bring back the multiverse,
it could have been done in fewer issues and without the countless, random one-offs (ie. Dark Crisis: Young Justice). It's a decent enough story but longer than it needs to be. BUT I feel the same way about Marvel's current A.X.E arc.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 09:47:18 PM »

Well as I have only read one issue of AXE... as that is all I am able to being 3 months behind  Wink, I can't speak of more than this...

AXE is much, much better written, at least comparing first issue to first issue
but
Regardless of the eventual outcome of Dark Crisis ... (not true spoilers follow, but you should still avoid if you are a digital person...
it will probably be longer lasting that what we are going to get from the end of AXE. I have read the last tie-in issue of X-Men and well, I was less than enthused by what I saw. But I think I will still enjoy the issues of AXE more than Dark Crisis.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 04:29:30 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Ant Man #1 - Al Ewing!
Gambit #1 - Chris Claremont!
Genis-Vell: Captain Marvel #1 - Peter David!
Strange #4
The Variants #2

DC Universe Infinite    
Action Comics #1042
Action Comics #1043
Action Comics 2022 Annual #1

Action Comics #1044
Action Comics #1045
Action Comics #1046
Superman Warworld Apocalypse #1
Action Comics #1047

Hoopla
Basilisk #11
Basilisk #12
Little Monsters #4
Little Monsters #5
Little Monsters #6
Primordial #6

------------------------------------------------------

Action Comics #1042 - more fun battle story progression! The revolution has begun!

Action Comics #1043 - War is in full swing and origins are told. The setup for the final battle starts here.

Action Comics 2022 Annual #1 - the origin of the new Mongul and life lesson for a young Clark Kent.  I enjoyed this more than I thought I would.  A good annual.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 10:17:30 AM »

Well I wasn't expecting those two (eagerly awaited) trades to drop on Hoopla yesterday... but, once again, I have added more to the list
 Grin

DCUltra
Batman #125
Batman #126
Batman #127

Batman #128
Gotham City Year One #1
Dark Crisis #5

MU
The Variants #1
The Variants #2

Strange #1
Strange #2
Strange #3

Strange #4
Genis-Vell #1

Daredevil v6 #30

Other
B.P.R.D 1946 v1
 - 1946 #4
 - 1946 #5
B.P.R.D 1947 v1
 - 1947 #1
 - 1947 #2
 - 1947 #3
 - 1947 #4
 - 1947 #5
B.P.R.D 1948 v1
 - 1948 #1
 - 1948 #2
 - 1948 #3
 - 1948 #4
 - 1948 #5
Bloodshot #2
The Boogyman #1
The Boogyman #2

A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance volume 2 (with the following issues)
A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance #6
A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance #7
A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance #8
A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance #9
A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance #10
A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance #11
Follow Me Down- A Reckless Book (144 page story)

Gen-Vell - While it was nice to see Jimbo's favorite character back in print (and I'm sorry for what I am about to type, buddy) I have to say that not only was the art a little not to my liking, the PAD writing here was even worse. Not what I had hoped... expected even. And I while I didn't need a funny Captain Marvel book of old, I did think I would get decent writing, like in Maestro, but here the dialog fell way off the mark of what I am familiar with. It was just not clicking for me. Even the story, while not horrible, could have also been better, if given more room, but I think PAD was trying too hard to tie all the things, all the cool little tidbits into one issue (this is the hairbrush that....) and it was just too damn crowded with unnecessary backstory and too many forced "remember when"s. I will return for issue two, if for nothing else to see if it remains as poorly written as this one, but I hope, honestly I do, that I will finish that issue WANTING to read the next, not like now, where I am making myself read the next
 Cry

Strange - Now this one almost felt like the PAD of old. Not quite up to old PAD stuff, but close enough to make me smile. Not a great book, and maybe coming off the latter made this one shine more, perhaps, but I still enjoyed this. Is the next issue THE last of this run?

The Variants - Ummm, yeah, another let down. Not sure why this book hit so hard for me those many months ago when I flipped through it at the LCS, but it didn't have the same punch this time. The art was good, but I like Noto, and the story isn't bad, but it isn't a "wow" like I had originally thought. Perhaps it is all a matter of timing and mood sometimes, huh? Either way, there is enough here for me to keep going.

The Boogyman - A decent story with some cool/crazy looking art. Reminds me of too many other things (Like Spawn for some unknown reason? Yeah, no idea...?) so I am not too high on it, but I will probably... maybe finish it off.

A Righteous Thirst - So I had to take a sneak peek. Once again, if you are wanting a long read, or in the mood for sitting down on a lazy day to waste time reading a tome, then this is not the series for you. Its one of those great books that I would be mad if I were paying for it, ya know?
"I paid $4 for this and I get two minutes of reading from it? Ninety panels of art and just two panels of dialog and one caption box?"
 Angry
Like some of the great books by Warren Ellis. Those things used to piss me off so bad. I mean, sure, great story, once you get through it, but the value is shit man.
Hahaha
But yeah, much like Ellis books, this is a sparse read but a pretty, pretty, pretty good one.
If you are in for the story, and you're getting it off Hoopla, for free  Cheesy then it is an absolute banger of a book!!
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 09:58:26 AM »

Another good read through last night

DCUltra
Batman #125
Batman #126
Batman #127

Batman #128
Gotham City Year One #1
Dark Crisis #5

MU
The Variants #1
The Variants #2

Strange #1
Strange #2
Strange #3

Strange #4
Genis-Vell #1

Daredevil v6 #30

Other
B.P.R.D 1946 v1
 - 1946 #4
 - 1946 #5
B.P.R.D 1947 v1
 - 1947 #1
 - 1947 #2
 - 1947 #3
 - 1947 #4
 - 1947 #5
B.P.R.D 1948 v1
 - 1948 #1
 - 1948 #2
 - 1948 #3
 - 1948 #4
 - 1948 #5
Bloodshot #2
The Boogyman #1
The Boogyman #2

Batman - A cool story, but there is certainly, because of what it is, a huge "been there before" feeling. But still, enjoyable and that is what counts. Also a very interesting looking back-up story. I like the feel of that one, but you almost need a break before reading it. I suggest reading Batman 128's main story, then go to the restroom or get a drink and then finish the book  Cheesy

Captain America - Just a joy to look at and I am enjoying the story as well. I am not as intrigued as I am with the other Cap book, I like what may happen there, but this is still a good book. That said, and slight guest star spoiler,
I just can not look at Doom's avatar without seeing Spawn.
  Cheesy I'll get used to it eventually I guess.

Righteous Thirst - Wow (and huge spoilers this time)
didn't know this was ending for one thing and damn sure didn't expect our boy Sonny to bite it before the close of the story like that. I could see him biting it late or hell, I could see him being tortured to death like he almost was, but... yeah... that was, well, not good, but a good surprise when it happened. I still think the asshole "father" got off way too easy  Angry but still, this was good. I liked the kid all grown as well. Overall a fast read... a super fast read with a satisfying conclusion

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 06:11:42 PM »

Oh yeah, good stuff from BPRD last night. May make it through them all this week, if

DCUltra
Batman #125
Batman #126
Batman #127

Batman #128
Gotham City Year One #1
Dark Crisis #5

MU
The Variants #1
The Variants #2

Strange #1
Strange #2
Strange #3

Strange #4
Genis-Vell #1

Daredevil v6 #30

Other
B.P.R.D 1946 v1
 - 1946 #4
 - 1946 #5
B.P.R.D 1947 v1
 - 1947 #1
 - 1947 #2
 - 1947 #3
 - 1947 #4
 - 1947 #5

B.P.R.D 1948 v1
 - 1948 #1
 - 1948 #2
 - 1948 #3
 - 1948 #4
 - 1948 #5
Bloodshot #2
The Boogyman #1
The Boogyman #2

1946 - A quick, but total spoiler recap of the mini. Told with my memory so yeah, not accurate, but the point is made. Hahaha
We open with a group of Nazi scientist experimenting with a female vampire. Hitler has decided he wants an army of Vampires to help him with the war so plans are made that involve taking the blood from this un-dead chick and making Vampires by injection and then freezing them to be released at a later time. All under the plan "Operation Vampire Sturm". However, as Hitler is rapidly losing the war, he kills himself yet orders the plan go forth, release the vampires on the world, because even though the war is over, this petty little SoB wants hell for everyone else.
Lots of stuff happen, but...
Hellboy's "Father" (Professor Bruttenholm, pronounced Broom) and Nazi mad scientist Herman von Klempt, as well as a sergeant of BPRD, all end up on a rocket heading to America. A rocket that is loaded with the frozen vamps that Klempt is trying to release over the U.S.
The Sergeant gives Broom the only parachute and pushes Broom out of the rocket when moments later the rocket, with the Nazi Klempt and the BPRD Sergeant still inside, explodes, spewing frozen and unfrozen vampire bits everywhere.
The Professor sits saddened at the loss of the Sergeant 

1947 - A year later and
we discover more, even older vampires are around, one of which is going around killing ex/current Third Reich members. Meanwhile, the BPRD sends a group of five men into the Russian controlled side of Germany to find information on this new vampire rumor. One of the BPRD men gets kidnapped by two vampire sisters and sucked on for awhile. The remaining four go look for him but three of them are wiped out as vampires begin to burst from the floors. One BPRD guy escapes, gets more help and they end up retrieving the guy that was stolen and being sucked on. They get him back to the U.S where Broom calls an old ex-priest to perform some kind of Vampire exorcist, trapping the sisters in a metaphysical room. The guy awakes tired, but okay. I wonder how long that will last.
Also, the vampire that was killing the ex-nazis has his throat sliced open by his core group of vampires for bringing attention to them. They are just trying to lie in the shadows and didn't want the attention, so yeah, they be pissed and wack the guy  Grin
The Professor plays ball with Hellboy

Yeah, There are, obviously, a lot more to those two minis, and I could be misremember somethings, hahaha, but that is the gist of it anyway.
Haha

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2022, 02:09:05 AM »

Turned into one busy week and I haven't made anymore progress.   Cry

Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to get some reading done!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2022, 12:02:52 PM »

DCUltra
Batman #125
Batman #126
Batman #127

Batman #128
Gotham City Year One #1
Dark Crisis #5

MU
The Variants #1
The Variants #2

Strange #1
Strange #2
Strange #3

Strange #4
Genis-Vell #1

Daredevil v6 #30

Other
B.P.R.D 1946 v1
 - 1946 #4
 - 1946 #5
B.P.R.D 1947 v1
 - 1947 #1
 - 1947 #2
 - 1947 #3
 - 1947 #4
 - 1947 #5

B.P.R.D 1948 v1
 - 1948 #1
 - 1948 #2
 - 1948 #3
 - 1948 #4
 - 1948 #5

Bloodshot #2
The Boogyman #1
The Boogyman #2

1948 - Knocked out the Omni last night. I think the art spoiled the over enjoyment a little, but honestly wasn't a great mini regardless. That said, I am very excited for the next trade that takes us (hopefully) back to the Vampire storyline from 1947. It is called "Vampire" So I assume it will be about Vampires  Grin, but not sure if it is going back to postwar Germany again or if it is set more currently

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS