HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:34:06 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, October 24, 2022  (Read 1594 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 24, 2022, 01:09:48 PM »

No idea what I will be adding from DC right now, with what I have to read, I hope it's nothing  Grin Grin, but for now, I think this is what I am going with

DCUltra
Flash Beyond #0 (re-read)
Flash Beyond #1
Flash Beyond #2
Flash Beyond #3
Flash Beyond #4
Flash Beyond #5
Dark Crisis: Worlds Without a Justice League - Green Lantern
Batman - One Bad Day: The Riddler
Batman - One Bad Day: Two Face
World's Finest #3
World's Finest #4
World's Finest #5
World's Finest #6
World's Finest #7
DCeased #1
DCeased #2

MU
A.X.E Judgement Day - I have to at least try the first issue. Has to be better than the preview issue. I trust Gillen
Alien Annual #1 - Yeah, even though I read this collected now, I'll read this one shot  Grin
Daredevil v6 #29

Other
Sledgehammer '44 v1
- Sledgehammer #1 - Going to reread this
- Sledgehammer #2
- Lightning War #1
- Lightning War #2
- Lightning War #3
Promethee 13:13 #4 (Last issue?)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 05:35:43 PM »

Well hell, I didn't know/remember that the last issue of the first Alien run was already out. I went to read the Alien Annual, saw there is talk about... something that happened in the first 6 issue run, decided to wait until the 12th issue dropped to read the annual. Went to see when that may happen and noticed issue #12 has been out for some time. Not only that but there is another volume of the series that has started.
Damn my memory!!!

Adding some issues

DCUltra
Flash Beyond #0 (re-read)
Flash Beyond #1
Flash Beyond #2
Flash Beyond #3
Flash Beyond #4
Flash Beyond #5
World's Finest #3
World's Finest #4
World's Finest #5
World's Finest #6
World's Finest #7
DCeased #1
DCeased #2

MU
A.X.E Judgement Day
Alien #7
Alien #8
Alien #9
Alien #10
Alien #11
Alien #12

Alien Annual #1
Daredevil v6 #29

Other
Sledgehammer '44 v1
- Sledgehammer #1
- Sledgehammer #2
- Lightning War #1
- Lightning War #2
- Lightning War #3
Promethee 13:13 #4 (Last issue?)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 03:18:24 AM »

Man I’m running behind this month!  Can’t even get my list posted!  Well, it looks similar to last week.  Grin

Marvel Unlimited
A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #1
New Fantastic Four #2
Maestro World War M #5

DC Universe Ultra    
Nightwing #91
Nightwing #92
Nightwing #93
Nightwing #94
Nightwing #95
Nightwing #96

Hoopla
House of Slaughter #6
House of Slaughter #7
House of Slaughter #8
House of Slaughter #9

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 12:29:02 PM »

Been a hectic week and still trying to finish last week's books. Don't know if I will get to my LCS or not.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 12:42:22 PM »

Okay, had decided to drop some titles, the one ones that I was trying more "to keep in mind" (so I wouldn't forget about them), more than truly aiming to get them done this week. Aliens, World's Finest, Flash Beyond and DCeased are going to go on hold for at least a week, especially now that I have made it to the next BPRD Omnibus (and super stoked about it). If I have time, hahaha, riiiiight, and I feel in the mood, I may add a couple of those issues back in, but for now lets keep it to what I would like to get done this week
 Grin

Including a book I found by accident, when looking for Chistophe Bec's "Olympus Mons" series on Hoopla. Olympus v1 by Geoff Johns?
 Shocked
Its on 53 pages (and only one other book after this one) and I am interested to read this as it doesn't have the greatest reviews but... I mean... I've never heard of it so I am trying it. The first one at least
 Cheesy

DCUltra
DC Horror: Sgt Rock #1

MU
A.X.E Judgement Day
Daredevil v6 #29

Other
~ B.P.R.D 1946-1948 Omnibus (containing the following)
- And What Shall I Find There - Short Story
- Bishop Olek's Devil - Short Story
B.P.R.D 1946 v1
 - 1946 #1
 - 1946 #2
 - 1946 #3
 - 1946 #4
 - 1946 #5
B.P.R.D 1947 v1
 - 1947 #1
 - 1947 #2
 - 1947 #3
 - 1947 #4
 - 1947 #5
B.P.R.D 1948 v1
 - 1948 #1
 - 1948 #2
 - 1948 #3
 - 1948 #4
 - 1948 #5

Olympus v1
~ Sledgehammer '44 v1
- Sledgehammer #1
- Sledgehammer #2
- Lightning War #1
- Lightning War #2
- Lightning War #3

Promethee 13:13 #4

A.X.E - Was a little down on this after reading that preview issue, but man I am happy I pushed through that crap and got to this. I am all over this one. Yep, yep, yep

BPRD Shorts - Both shorts are centered around the young Professor Bruttenholm (Discoverer and parental stand-in of Hellboy  Grin). The first a little too Hellboy like in its format of seek, fight, destroy while the second short hit better for me. Still, in essence, the same story beats, but this had a flare to it I enjoyed. Man... so looking forward to these next minis, especially after reading the last three issues of the fantastic...

Sledgehammer - Oh hell yeah!!! I am back on the Mignola Universe with a passion now, baby!!! Between Lobster Johnson's last trade (Iron Prometheus) and the last three-parter in this one, I am hooked again. And luckily, I now get to go to my favorite title (BPRD) and my favorite time frame (1940's... and yes, the '30s is also a favorite of mine, but for this we'll just say the '40s  Grin)

Promethee 13:13 #4 - Ugh, hate to end on a downer but... a change of artist AND art style on the last issue? WTF? That alone made me kinda weary flipping to page two and sure enough, BLAH. The art being worse than the first 3 issues made me kinda mad though, so not sure if that alone was responsible for me not enjoying this, but I didn't. Still hoping for Bec's Promethee to hit Hoopla soon though. I want to read that French dudes work on this Promethee stuff. May have to try his "Bunker" as well

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 12:43:19 PM »

Been a hectic week and still trying to finish last week's books. Don't know if I will get to my LCS or not.

That's okay, save the $20 and go see Black Adam or something
 Smiley

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 06:26:33 PM »

That's okay, save the $20 and go see Black Adam or something
 Smiley

That is a GREAT idea! I am dying to see Hawkman's wingspan on the big screen.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2022, 04:11:21 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
New Fantastic Four #2
Maestro World War M #5

DC Universe Ultra    
Nightwing #91
Nightwing #92
Nightwing #93
Nightwing #94
Nightwing #95
Nightwing #96

Hoopla
House of Slaughter #6
House of Slaughter #7
House of Slaughter #8
House of Slaughter #9

Nightwing #91 - Love a great team up with my two favorite DC characters!  This was so much fun.

Nightwing #92 - Looks like things are picking up. I like this book but I do wish it didn’t have two villains I don’t really care for.  Side note: I REALLY liked the silent nod to George Perez & Marv Wolfman.

Nightwing #93 - Well shut me up. Heartless just got interesting.  Another good issue and a blow to corruption.

Nightwing #94 - oh yeah, it’s all finally coming to a head! The war between good and evil has stepped up a notch!

Nightwing #95 - Guest stars galore! The take down of Blockbuster gets escalated.  And a surprise ending (that sadly, I had already been spoiled on).

Nightwing #96 - Great finale to this major arc.  Really wish I hadn’t got spoiled but it was still a heck of a lot of fun to read.  Best arc of the series and promises of even better story to come.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 01:18:21 PM »

My stupid DC Ultra app. 2 re-installs, cache memory dumping, force stops, and I can now read, but to hell if I can download anything. I was only able to read Worlds' Finest 2, and Justice League 75. Rahrg!

That said I almost caught up on my Marvel. Wolverine, Deadpool, Iron Man, Avengers and Avengers Forever (my interest has REALLY waned on these. Just...jumping through time to find variant one shot storytelling Avengers heroes? I just read 4 issues of this and am bored.)
Also She-Hulk, Sabretooth (which I still liked Jeff!)
Legion of X suffers for art that doesn't really let me know which Arrakko woman we are talking to. When it's David Haller, it's on!! He brings me through the book. Cain too. Kurt is...fine right now, but the mission of this book was out there.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2022, 12:16:55 PM »

DCUltra

MU
A.X.E Judgement Day
Daredevil v6 #29

Other
- And What Shall I Find There
- Bishop Olek's Devil
B.P.R.D 1946 v1
- 1946 #1
 - 1946 #2
 - 1946 #3
 - 1946 #4
 - 1946 #5
B.P.R.D 1947 v1
 - 1947 #1
 - 1947 #2
 - 1947 #3
 - 1947 #4
 - 1947 #5
B.P.R.D 1948 v1
 - 1948 #1
 - 1948 #2
 - 1948 #3
 - 1948 #4
 - 1948 #5[/color]
Olympus v1
Olympus v2
~ Sledgehammer '44 v1
- Sledgehammer #1
- Sledgehammer #2
- Lightning War #1
- Lightning War #2
- Lightning War #3

Dark Crisis GL - A decent enough alternate world one-shot that I didn't overly enjoy, nor did I hate I guess  Cheesy It was better than the Wonder Woman one (that I read it prior to this one... admittedly, out of order), but not as enjoyable as the Superman one

Olympus v1 - So I found THIS Geoff Johns 2 issue series from Humanoids (on Hoopla) and as I never knew Johns to do any Humanoids work... and as I enjoy the subject matter so much (thanks to George Perez and Marv Wolfman's work with the Titans/Greek Gods) I jumped at the chance to read this. I was left feeling less enthused by the end of the issue however. I will read the next volume at some point, just to finish it off (while hoping it gets better), but sadly there is nothing much here worth wasting a credit on... unless like me you find yourself with extra and you just want to throw them towards something.
 Lips sealed

BPRD 1946 - OH HELL YEAH!!! One issue in and... man, so good.
I have said it so many times now that I hear it while I sleep but screw Hellboy, THIS is the part of the Mignol'verse I want to stay in! Okay, Hellboy is fine, but so much of the first era of the character was Mignola finding out what he wanted Hellboy to be that most of the early stuff felt like (and I know I have used this analogy before as well) it felt like reading the Goon. Discovery of a beast, fight, then win... Rinse, repeat. But if you make Hellboy a PART of something and not THE something, that is where the stuff gets golden!!
So glad I held on. I was getting worried after reading the Witchfinder and early Lobster Johnson omnibi stuff. Not that those were bad, and the Lobster comes on strong at the end, but they were not what I wanted at the time. This BPRD stuff? That is where I want to stay.
I am in love with this stuff!!! Feel so bad for being so late to the party, but I'm glad I finally knocked on the door. I'm like a caveman waking up to find that not only has his wheel has been improved upon, they are used on these things called motor cars!!
 Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2022, 09:54:39 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
New Fantastic Four #2
Maestro World War M #5

DC Universe Ultra    
Nightwing #91
Nightwing #92
Nightwing #93
Nightwing #94
Nightwing #95
Nightwing #96

Hoopla
House of Slaughter #6
House of Slaughter #7
House of Slaughter #8
House of Slaughter #9

House of Slaughter #6 - Hmmm. Now this arc is interesting. It’s more like it’s predecessor Something is Killing the Children. An arc regarding the Scarlet masks.  So far I’m liking it.

House of Slaughter #7 - a little surreal but a good chapter.  The art is fascinating to look at. Which is interesting since the main character is also an artist.

House of Slaughter #8 - started to drag a little with this issue. But the reveal at the end sucks you back in.

House of Slaughter #9 - I found this confusing.  It’s the origin of the main character but I’m not sure I understand what is happening anymore.  I think I do, but not sure.  Hopefully next issue will bring it all together.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2022, 01:01:54 PM »

I've been on a tear since I caught up binging 3 years of a weekly hour and a half podcast!

Marvel I'm all caught up on...and boy oh boy, the hubris and arrogance of the 2 put out AXE Marvel books just drips off the pages!!!

Regular and Forever Avengers books of variant characters I don't find particularly interesting right now.
Very glad to read 2 PAD books the same month with Maestro and New Fantastic Four!
Punisher looks to have some amazing things happen next issue!!
Daredevil, She-Hulk, Wolverine, Iron Man are all really solid stand alone titles!!

Now DC Ultra?

I've been ripping it up!!

All caught up on Action Comics. Almost caught up on Superman Son of Kel-El.
Been going through Batman, Deathstroke Inc, and Robin and just finished Shadow war. And actually, a decently tight story with purpose.
Aquamen was more about looking through than reading. It was not...greatly interesting, but I wanted to see events of it, so I went through.
Can't wait to see how Flashpoint Beyond eventually ends!! 3 weeks to see that book!!!
Suicide Squad ended in a satisfying way for me
Human Target is back to being right on point!
Dark Knights of Steel Tales from the kingdom is a great book; don't let the kiddie cover foolyou! read it!
World's Finest; caught up; loving this title!
Nightwing-awesome to be caught up!
Batman Killing Time is such....a great book with such terrible depressive murder and human squalor to it. A hard juxtaposition.

gonna be getting around to Shazam and Black Adam yet, and through some Detective, then onto Dark Crisis lead up and ties (and that means reading Flash to be current too!)
Then the Batman Rogues One Bad Day one shots eventually.
And eventually the Trial of the Amazons to finish.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2022, 10:22:29 AM »

Marvel I'm all caught up on...and boy oh boy, the hubris and arrogance of the 2 put out AXE Marvel books just drips off the pages!!!

"Arrogance and Hubris"? How so?

gonna be getting around to [...] the Batman Rogues One Bad Day one shots eventually.

Oh yes  Smiley... Speaking of...

DCUltra

MU
A.X.E Judgement Day
Daredevil v6 #29

Other
- And What Shall I Find There
- Bishop Olek's Devil
B.P.R.D 1946 v1
- 1946 #1
- 1946 #2
- 1946 #3
 - 1946 #4
 - 1946 #5
B.P.R.D 1947 v1
 - 1947 #1
 - 1947 #2
 - 1947 #3
 - 1947 #4
 - 1947 #5
B.P.R.D 1948 v1
 - 1948 #1
 - 1948 #2
 - 1948 #3
 - 1948 #4
 - 1948 #5[/color]
Olympus v1
Olympus v2
~ Sledgehammer '44 v1
- Sledgehammer #1
- Sledgehammer #2
- Lightning War #1
- Lightning War #2
- Lightning War #3

One Bad Day: Riddler - Soooo, I "flip" open this book and within a couple panels I am thinking that this seems very familiar. Two or three pages in I am thinking that I have read this before. A few more pages and I am convinced I have read this before as I am remembering things before I get to them. So, I can only assume this is one I read at the LCS when it first hit? But ya know, even though I am reading this a second time, I am loving what I am reading... and seeing.
Can't express how much I loved this book. Tom King and his buddy Mitch Gerard killing a Riddler book. Killing it.
If the rest of these are close to this one this is going to be a collection for the ages!!!
I am going to have to go back, after I walk the dog, and see if I wrote about this issue back when it first came out. So damn good... at least this time
 Cheesy Cheesy

BPRD 1946 - Okay, settling in here... perhaps a little too much, but I am growing fond of an addition to the cast (at least for this mimi-series). One that was introduced in the first issue that seemed very odd, in so many ways, but now has me totally curious and a little freaked out. Haha
Also think I am going to change my avatar even though I am not through this mini. I am not sure I enjoy logging on and seeing that damn swastika welcoming me back to the Realm  Cheesy
"Hello Perry"
{Here is a symbol of massive genocide and hate for you to start your joy filled visit}
 Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2022, 07:09:42 PM »

"Arrogance and Hubris"? How so?

For me, it's rather all about Tony Stark, who in every event book, continues to show himself as the one who always believes he is right, is always the smartest in the room, and has a voice that should be the only voice that is to be listened to, and never listens to another.

The X-men are a close second as well, with Xavier's dream, and all their hidden abilities of the resurrection, all the secrets from the world over, it almost makes you think the Eternals are correct.

And, there is still the Eternals, who no one on this world even cares about, yet they believe that all are still under their purview and must listen to all that they say or do?

Arrogance and hubris all around. Wink

Big players gonna play, all the small folk of the world suffer.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2022, 12:53:26 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
New Fantastic Four #2
Maestro World War M #5

DC Universe Ultra    
Nightwing #91
Nightwing #92
Nightwing #93
Nightwing #94
Nightwing #95
Nightwing #96

Hoopla
House of Slaughter #6
House of Slaughter #7
House of Slaughter #8
House of Slaughter #9

A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #1 - Oh yeah! This was AWESOME! A great crossover and just a great story.  Can’t wait for the next issue!

New Fantastic Four #2 - I normally love the stories PAD tells but I’m really not digging this too much.  It’s not terrible but not great either.  I do want to find out what is up with the priest do I imagine I’ll stick it out.

Maestro World War M #5 - And with this, the story is now a wrap.  This series was a lot of fun.  Looking forward to PAD’s take on Joe Fixit next year.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS