HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:05:22 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, October 3, 2022  (Read 1202 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 03, 2022, 12:53:37 PM »

MU, as usual, didn’t match up with their release calendar but I am surprised they were right about dropping 2 issues of Amazing Spider-Man!  Also decided to go ahead and catch up on Seven Secrets since they had them all on Hoopla for free.

Marvel Unlimited
Sabertooth #4
X-Men Red #4
X-Force #29
Amazing Spider-Man #5
Amazing Spider-Man #6

DC Universe Infinite    
Batman: One Dark Knight #2
Shadow War: Alpha #1 - Shadow War part 1

Hoopla
Vinyl TPB (Collects issues #1-6)
Seven Secrets #13
Seven Secrets #14
Seven Secrets #15
Seven Secrets #16
Seven Secrets #17
Seven Secrets #18

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 02:47:07 PM »

MU, as usual, didn’t match up with their release calendar but I am surprised they were right about dropping 2 issues of Amazing Spider-Man!  

Hope you downloaded it because, knowing Marvel, they screwed up by doing just that, putting two issues out, so they will probably take it down any minute now  Cheesy Cheesy

Hoopla

Hey Jeff, you may want to read Wagner's other mini, Plastic, first. Or at least see if they tie into each other. I read Plastic back in the day... the good ole days when I could just sit in the backroom of the LCS... man I miss that... *ahem*, anyway... that Plastic mini was pretty fun. The premise was kinda odd, no, really odd  Grin, but that just added to my enjoyment. Hahaha.
Yeah, just check and see if they are related.
I am going to read Vinyl as well, but trying to wait to see if there is a third mini coming and they ARE all tied-in together.  Grin

Only adding Amazing as I need to get caught up on some other stuff. I will add more IF I get caught up. I should be able to, especially since I decided to just come back to Tynion's The Mighty at a later time, as well as add more to the Mignola list like I ant to do, but... yeah... Undecided
Also wanted to add the Swamp Thing issue, but as it has three issues left I will wait and read them all at the same go

DCI
~~~~~~

MU
Amazing Spider-Man (2022) #3
Amazing Spider-Man (2022) #4
Amazing Spider-Man (2022) #5
Amazing Spider-Man (2022) #6
Daredevil v6 #25
Daredevil v6 #26

Other
Witchfinder Omnibus v1 (collecting the following: )
- The Mysteries of Unland #3
- The Mysteries of Unland #4
- The Mysteries of Unland #5
- Henry Hood in "The Burial of Katherine Baker" (short story)
B.P.R.D v14 - King of Fear
- King of Fear #2
- King of Fear #3
- King of Fear #4
- King of Fear #5

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 03:40:20 PM »

Hoopla

Hey Jeff, you may want to read Wagner's other mini, Plastic, first. Or at least see if they tie into each other. I read Plastic back in the day... the good ole days when I could just sit in the backroom of the LCS... man I miss that... *ahem*, anyway... that Plastic mini was pretty fun. The premise was kinda odd, no, really odd  Grin, but that just added to my enjoyment. Hahaha.
Yeah, just check and see if they are related.
I am going to read Vinyl as well, but trying to wait to see if there is a third mini coming and they ARE all tied-in together.  Grin

I checked and they seem to be unrelated.  But I'm going to go ahead and add it because it sounds good!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 03:41:54 PM »

Adding that trade that Perry reccomended!

Marvel Unlimited
Sabertooth #4
X-Men Red #4
X-Force #29
Amazing Spider-Man #5
Amazing Spider-Man #6

DC Universe Infinite    

Hoopla
ADD:  Plastic TPB (Collects issues #1-5)
Seven Secrets #13
Seven Secrets #14
Seven Secrets #15
Seven Secrets #16
Seven Secrets #17
Seven Secrets #18

« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 03:46:01 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 10:16:42 AM »

As usual, awoke around midnight thanks to my feet wanting to party, so I got a lot of reading in. Not a lot by amount, but I had to read most of what I did read twice... between and after the wincing
 Grin Grin

DCI
~~~~~~

MU
Daredevil v6 #25
Daredevil v6 #26

Other
- King of Fear #2
- King of Fear #3
- King of Fear #4
- King of Fear #5
Lobster Johnson Omni v1 (contains the following) <-- Added
- The Empty Chair (short story)
- The Burning Hand #1
- The Burning Hand #2
- The Burning Hand #3
- The Burning Hand #4
- The Burning Hand #5
- Satan Smells a Rat (One-Shot)
- Get the Lobster #1
- Get the Lobster #2
- Get the Lobster #3
- Get the Lobster #4
- Get the Lobster #5

Witchfinder: Mysteries of Unland - A very good save for this omni. If not for this story, I don't think I would have read another Witchfinder book or story, but this was pretty strong. Very creepy and a cool story. Good 1880's horror.

Witchfinder: Henry Hood - Another of those super-quick, short stories but really enjoyed this one and was a great ending, although not related to anything else here, yet, I have a feeling we will be seeing Ms. Baker soon Smiley Yeah, these issues saved Witchfinder for me.

BPRD: King of Fear - Still have no idea how I missed reading this one, but man was it nice getting back to the world of Hellboy/BPRD. This wraps up the massive part one of the three segments that will make up the Hellboy and BPRD universe and man, it does it with great style. There were still great twists here in this last mini while also doing a great job of setting up most stuff to come. Now we are in part two... Hell on Earth!!! Well, we will be, right after this quick interlude with Lobster Johnson.
 Grin

EDIT - Lobster: Empty Chair - Funny that we do not actually get the first mini (trade collection) featuring Lobster in the first omni ("The Iron Prometheus") but this short story at the beginning of this omni is still a good way to reintroduce us to the Lobster. And I use "reintroduce" as we have seen him quite a bit in both Hellboy and BPRD already  Smiley)
This also shows us him operating in the city, which is a change for us  Grin
The Lobster is Mignola's shout out to his (and my  Grin) love of the Pulp heroes of the 30's. Doc Savage, The Shadow, The Avenger, The Spider... all were great heroes... the first super-heroes of the time truly and I am super stoked to get back to that era and see some good ole punching, kicking, shooting crime fightin'  Grin
And boy howdy this just has to be the character homage used for Skulldigger.  Grin
Yep, good start here!!!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 12:10:52 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 02:19:05 PM »

Batman #128
Black Adam the Justice Society Files: Doctor Fate #1
Dark Crisis On Infinite Earths #5
Multiversity Teen Justice #5
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 04:22:06 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Sabertooth #4
X-Men Red #4
X-Force #29

Amazing Spider-Man #5
Amazing Spider-Man #6

DC Universe Infinite    

Hoopla
Plastic TPB (Collects issues #1-5)
Seven Secrets #13
Seven Secrets #14
Seven Secrets #15
Seven Secrets #16
Seven Secrets #17
Seven Secrets #18

Sabertooth #4 - I was going to drop this then figured it only had two more issues.  This one was better.  Maybe it’s going to end well after all.

X-Men Red #4 - Keeps getting better and better with each issue.  I’m intrigued.

X-Force #29 - The villain is kind of meh, but the enormity of this cliff hanger was awesome.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 10:11:40 AM »

I woke up at halftime during the game last night, so I decided to read a little while I watched the rest of the game... that dreadful game  Roll Eyes Got a decent amount in, but also discovered I had more to read. There are more stories than what is listed in the Lobster Johnson omni. I finished the Satan Smells a Rat one shot (a story that makes me wonder if Mignola and Eric Powell, creator of The Goon, had a little tiff at some point) and found a couple stories I wasn't aware were in the book. That's both good, more Lobster stories, Yay, but also bad as I don't get to move on as quickly as I had hoped.
 Grin

EDIT 1 - I forgot to talk about the Amazing Spider-Man books and now I have to go for my walk. I will return to talk about those at some point!

DCI
~~~~~~

MU

Daredevil v6 #25
Daredevil v6 #26
Daredevil v6 #27 <--- Added
Daredevil v6 #28 <--- Added
Daredevil v6 #29 <--- Added

Other
- King of Fear #2
- King of Fear #3
- King of Fear #4
- King of Fear #5
Lobster Johnson Omni v1 (contains the following)
- The Empty Chair (short story)
- The Burning Hand #1
- The Burning Hand #2
- The Burning Hand #3
- The Burning Hand #4
- The Burning Hand #5
- Satan Smells a Rat (One-Shot)
- Tony Masso's Finest Hour (Short Story) <--- Added
- A Scent of a Lotus #1 <--- Added
- A Scent of a Lotus #2 <--- Added
- The Prayer of Neferu (One-Shot) <--- Added
- Get the Lobster #1
- Get the Lobster #2
- Get the Lobster #3
- Get the Lobster #4
- Get the Lobster #5

DD - Still enjoying this, but...man... I hated that tie-in with
the King in Black. Not because it was poorly done, for an editorial forced tie-in I thought it was pretty good actually, but it is the classic "Regular Joe vs God" conflict that rarely makes any sense in comics. Spidey meeting Galactus can be a cool story, but Spidey VERSUS Galactus, in which Spidey wins is... well... COMICS!!! Even though Matt and the others only went up against the minions and not Knull, it is still very eye-rolly  Cheesy And I know that shouldn't be the case when you are talking the wonderful fantasy that is superhero comics, it still gets to me most times
But it was, again, well done. Kudos to Chip

Lobster: Burning Hand - A very cool "intro" to the character Lobster Johnson, even though we have seen him many times before, it is nice to see him in an actual full story, in his original 1930's element. Also cool... and honestly a little confusing (for me only I am sure) to see another character from the BPRD world here... kinda  Grin I think I get why, but I need to know a little more. Hope it is coming, but if not I will be hitting the wiki soon.  Cheesy A very cool story with Nazi's and cannibals  Grin Like Indiana Jones in New York instead of the desert

Lobster: Satan Smells a Rat - A very cool one-shot but one that makes me wonder, as I stated, if Mignola was mad, at some point, with Eric Powell. There is a guy called Podell in here. He looks like The Goon, not the smartest guy, and there be lots of Zombies here. Hmmm maybe an homage, hell, maybe nothing, but... I don't know  Grin

Lobster: Tony Masso - Sort of an out of no-where story. A guy is in a room talking to a... sorcerer...?... heck, lets just say a mystic Grin and in said room there is also a demon. Tony really wants to "beat" Lobster, so works out a deal with the demon. Bad things happen  Grin Haha, thought I would give you the same feel I had when reading this. Haha, okay, it wasn't a bad story, one-shot, 8 page short story after all, one of those throw-aways  Smiley no biggie. NEXT!!
 Grin
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 10:13:21 AM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 08:40:35 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Sabertooth #4
X-Men Red #4
X-Force #29

Amazing Spider-Man #5
Amazing Spider-Man #6
ADD: The Variants #1 - MU had it but didn’t list it on their New Releases.

DC Universe Infinite
ADD: Batman: One Dark Knight #1 - Didn’t realize I hadn’t read this one yet.

Hoopla
Seven Secrets #13
Seven Secrets #14
Seven Secrets #15
Seven Secrets #16
Seven Secrets #17
Seven Secrets #18

Added two more above. Going to work on reading a lot tonight.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2022, 03:06:26 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Sabertooth #4
X-Men Red #4
X-Force #29

Amazing Spider-Man #5
Amazing Spider-Man #6

The Variants #1

DC Universe Infinite
Batman: One Dark Knight #1

Hoopla
Seven Secrets #13
Seven Secrets #14
Seven Secrets #15
Seven Secrets #16
Seven Secrets #17
Seven Secrets #18

Amazing Spider-Man #5 - typical wrap up issue.  Still good though and looking forward to seeing what’s next.

Amazing Spider-Man #6 - Wasn’t a fan of the art here and the story was interesting but not great.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2022, 11:48:33 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Sabertooth #4
X-Men Red #4
X-Force #29

Amazing Spider-Man #5
Amazing Spider-Man #6

The Variants #1

DC Universe Infinite
Batman: One Dark Knight #1

Hoopla
Seven Secrets #13
Seven Secrets #14
Seven Secrets #15
Seven Secrets #16
Seven Secrets #17
Seven Secrets #18

Only got through my Marvel list this week.

The Variants #1 - Awesome.  I’m digging this.  Gail Simone is doing her usual great job writing strong female characters.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS