HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 05:53:49 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, September 19, 2022  (Read 1909 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: September 19, 2022, 01:15:24 PM »

Took a stack of comics with me camping and all caught up. I am ready for a new week of new issues!

In my pull this Wednesday...

Batman/Superman World's Finest #7
Black Adam #4
Nightwing #96
Titans United Bloodpact #1... HELL YEAH!!!
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 04:15:28 PM »

Grabbed the new Marvel and DC’s for this week and still working on my back issues from last week.

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men Red #3
Wolverine #22
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #232
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #233
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #234

DC Universe Infinite    
Justice League #74
Nightwing #90
The Flash #780
Action Comics #1041
L.E.G.I.O.N. #23
L.E.G.I.O.N. #24
L.E.G.I.O.N. #25
L.E.G.I.O.N. #26

Hoopla
C.O.W.L. Vol 1: Principles of Power
Richard Stark’s Parker Vol 2: The Outfit

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 10:38:01 PM »

So the new grandchild stopped me from reading over the past 3 days (well, the birth of her I should say, she didn't actively prevent me  Cheesy Hell she's not yet even two days old, I think could've taken her, I think Cheesy) but yeah, all primed to knock out many an issue while at the hospital but instead of  reading while the wife and I was waiting, we ended up talking to a bunch of newly commissioned grand folks about all things babies, so while the idea was sound, I didn't read a single issue.
 Grin Angry

Soooo as for my reading list this week... its pretty much the same as last, mostly, just carried over, but I do see one thing that Jeff probably wants to change about his DC reading this week...
... Ahem...

DCI
Batman/Superman - Worlds Finest #1 <--- Psssst, Jeff, right here! This one!!  Cheesy (a RE-READ for me)
Nightwing #90

MU
Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty #1
Daredevil v6 #21
Daredevil v6 #22

Other
Hellboy Omnibus v3 - collecting the following trades and issues
Hellboy: The Wild Hunt (1-8)
 - The Wild Hunt #1
 - The Wild Hunt #2
 - The Wild Hunt #3
 - The Wild Hunt #4
 - The Wild Hunt #5
 - The Wild Hunt #6
 - The Wild Hunt #7
 - The Wild Hunt #8
Hellboy: The The Storm and The Fury (1-3 + 1-3)
 -  The The Storm #1
 -  The The Storm #2
 -  The The Storm #3
 -  The The Fury #1
 -  The The Fury #2
 -  The The Fury #3

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 10:43:24 PM »

I REALLY enjoyed Captain America Sentinel of Liberty, and the art....really resonated with me. Call it a 'grounded' approach without being mundane, common or pedestrien!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 11:08:11 PM »

I REALLY enjoyed Captain America Sentinel of Liberty, and the art....really resonated with me. Call it a 'grounded' approach without being mundane, common or pedestrien!

Cool! Thanks for the input.
I know it is by that writing pair I wanted to check out, two old friends, comic fans, best buds. Hoping for a DnA (Abnett and Lanning) type of enjoyment level, although that may be demanding too much, far too soon in their career. But, ya know, maybe.
 Grin
I was really impressed with the first issue of Sams book, mainly because of the art (even though there was some choices I didn't agree with on that front), but the story was still much better than I thought it would be.
If the same can be said for this one, hey, winner/winner.
I feel like some good Cap stuff, even if I may jump off if I'm enjoying too much  Cheesy ya know, read it in the larger go

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 03:09:12 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men Red #3
Wolverine #22

DC Universe Infinite    
Justice League #74
Nightwing #90
The Flash #780
Action Comics #1041
ADD: Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #1 - Mark Waid?  Ok I’m in!
L.E.G.I.O.N. #23
L.E.G.I.O.N. #24
L.E.G.I.O.N. #25
L.E.G.I.O.N. #26

Hoopla

X-Men Red #3 - This is winning me over with this issue. A lot more moving parts and intrigue. I’m starting to like where it’s going.

Wolverine #22 - I’m enjoying this Wolverine/ Deadpool team up.  It’s little goofy but I like where it’s headed.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 03:15:50 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 12:08:04 PM »

Woke up at midnight to check some scores (got pumped that I hit my Buffalo bets Grin) and was able to get quite a bit of reading in afterwards.

DCI
Batman/Superman - Worlds Finest #1
Nightwing #90

MU
Daredevil v6 #21
Daredevil v6 #22

Other
Hellboy Omnibus v3 - Trades/Issues remaining
 - The Wild Hunt #1
 - The Wild Hunt #2
 - The Wild Hunt #3
 - The Wild Hunt #4
 - The Wild Hunt #5
 - The Wild Hunt #6
 - The Wild Hunt #7
 - The Wild Hunt #8

-  The The Storm #1
-  The The Storm #2
 -  The The Storm #3
 -  The The Fury #1
 -  The The Fury #2
 -  The The Fury #3

Hellboy: Wild Hunt - Holy cow!!! First of all, I didn't think I would enjoy this as much as I have been. The main reason I started this "Catching up on the Mignola Universe" endeavor with the BPRD Omnis, instead of going back and rereading the Hellboy stuff from the begining, was that I remembered some ... or most... of the Hellboy stories were very repetitive; find a monster, hit monster repeatedly, win the fight. I remember them having very little meat on their bones. But honestly, as I found when I went back to refresh myself with some of the more important stories that I didn't remember or totally forgot  Grin, there is more with Hellboy than just the gristle and bone, more than I thought, and this volume truly showcases that.
Here, in the second mini of this omni, we find "who" Hellboy is, where he comes from, his lineage... and man I am so far into this now that I can't begin to express it properly. I am so damned into this universe now.
Sure I was into part of the Mignola Universe, especially after reading the first two BPRD omnis, but now that I see more of Hellboy, gone back and read/reread some of those (very important) early stories and this.... oh man. Yeah, just "oh, man!"

Hellboy: The Storm - Here we are finding the aftermath to the last stories and the revelation and decision from those. "The Storm is gathering" to say the least. Forces are indeed "gathering", some characters have found surprises, that what the thought isn't what is, while others are smiling in the knowledge or what is right around the corner. One more issue and then I get to see what The Fury holds... I bet it is a lot.  Grin
I have been aware of what is to come for a few years, I know what most of the Mignola Universe became a few years ago... almost all of their titles had the banner across the top, Darkhorse promoted the hell out if it too  Grin at least the shops here  Smiley so what is coming is no surprise, but this entire journey showing the "HOW"?... just gold!!!!

Can't stress this enough, if you ever dare try this challenge to get all of the Mignola stuff and read through, just stay with it, it will pay off in the long run.As much as some of those Hellboy issues seem meaningless on the surface, make you a little chart of the characters or, if you are young enough to have good memory  Grin, just remember the characters. Some of them will come around again!!
This... read through is too large to call it my best comic run ever, it isn't really a "run" as much as it is an entire thing, kinda like what CrossGen was... scale wise I mean, but it is damn sure worth the read. Very happy I did this and very happy I have so much more to go!
Wish I could say the same about CrossGen
Undecided
(Damn I miss CrossGen)

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 12:31:30 PM »

It is a small goal of mine to go after all the Hellboy/BPRD stuff at some point, some day...

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2022, 05:29:52 PM »

It is a small goal of mine to go after all the Hellboy/BPRD stuff at some point, some day...

Yeah, it is certainly no small thing to do. Huge time commitment to say the least.  Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 01:38:38 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men Red #3
Wolverine #22

DC Universe Infinite    
Justice League #74
Nightwing #90
The Flash #780
Action Comics #1041
Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #1
L.E.G.I.O.N. #23
L.E.G.I.O.N. #24
L.E.G.I.O.N. #25
L.E.G.I.O.N. #26

Hoopla

Uncanny X-Men (1987) #232-234 - Ahhhh - a classic three part Brood story in Denver, Colorado!  Really makes me miss the X-Men of old.  Also starts the transformation of Madalyne Pryor from the loyal ally of the X-Men to the person she will tragically become.  Great story telling.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 01:50:35 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 11:35:41 AM »

So I finished that Hellboy omni, not the ending I was hoping for, but an ending I was aware of... I know that doesn't make sense Cheesy I added the next omnibus from the Mignola reading order, Edward Grey: Witchfinder v1.
I also saw the newest Bloodshot series has dropped its first issue and while I will not continue to read the series... if it is good... until it is collected  Wink, I did want to check in with the first issue. I do so enjoy seeing if I want to put myself through the wait by checking in when I can on new titles.
Also added a new (?) Bendis book because I want to see (eye joke about the series' chapter title not intended, but there lain before all  Cheesy)... I want to see if it truly is over for one of the writers that I really used to enjoy. I was telling Jeff and Jimmy about how much I loved his Sam and Twitch back in the day and yet now I see him so low and it is just a weird feeling. Almost feel bad for the guy. Hoping this book breathes fresh live into his work.

DCI
Nightwing #90

MU
Daredevil v6 #21
Daredevil v6 #22

Other
 - The Wild Hunt #1
 - The Wild Hunt #2
 - The Wild Hunt #3
 - The Wild Hunt #4
 - The Wild Hunt #5
 - The Wild Hunt #6
 - The Wild Hunt #7
 - The Wild Hunt #8

-  The The Storm #1
-  The The Storm #2
-  The The Storm #3
-  The The Fury #1
-  The The Fury #2
-  The The Fury #3
Witchfinder Omnibus v1 (collecting the following: )
- Murderous Intent (short story/introduction)
- In the Service of Angels #1
 - In the Service of Angels #2
 - In the Service of Angels #3
 - In the Service of Angels #4
 - In the Service of Angels #5
 - Lost and Gone Forever #1
 - Lost and Gone Forever #2
 - Lost and Gone Forever #3
 - Lost and Gone Forever #4
 - Lost and Gone Forever #5
 - Beware the Ape (short story)
 - The Mysteries of Unland #1
 - The Mysteries of Unland #2
 - The Mysteries of Unland #3
 - The Mysteries of Unland #4
 - The Mysteries of Unland #5
 - Henry Hood in "The Burial of Katherine Baker" (short story)

Bloodshot: Unleashed #1
Phenomena: The Golden City of Eyes (book 1)

(EDIT - Forgot one of the miniseries that is collected in Witchfinder v1  Roll Eyes)

The Storm and The Fury - Well, we got here. When I next read BPRD (after reading some of the ancillary character's collections) we will be at the start of the massive "Hell on Earth" arc that spread through the Mignola'verse for so long. I am both excited and scared  Grin Luckily it will take me a long time to get there. Grin

Murderous Intent - A few pages, a short story, and I am already super-stoked about this character. Witches in the Victorian age and a man on a mission to stop them? Oh I am so there. Looks like this is going to be a combination Sherlock Holmes meets X-Files meets a Blum House movie  Smiley Been looking forward to this one!! Not as much as Lobster Johnson (... soon my pretty... soooooon  Cheesy), but I did enjoy the first short story of this new character!!!
 Smiley
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 11:50:34 AM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 09:43:26 AM »

A couple in, before the game... before passing out...

DCI
Nightwing #90

Flash #780 <- added

MU
Daredevil v6 #21
Daredevil v6 #22

Other
 - The Wild Hunt #1
 - The Wild Hunt #2
 - The Wild Hunt #3
 - The Wild Hunt #4
 - The Wild Hunt #5
 - The Wild Hunt #6
 - The Wild Hunt #7
 - The Wild Hunt #8

-  The The Storm #1
-  The The Storm #2
-  The The Storm #3
-  The The Fury #1
-  The The Fury #2
-  The The Fury #3

World's Finest - My secod read and I loved it just as much this time around. Dan Mora should be the only one to draw Dick Grayson as Robin from henceforth. Thus I decree  Smiley

Nightwing - Enjoyable, but man do I miss that Bruno Redondo art (whom I think I have called "Renaldo" for like three months now  Grin Grin Grin) How much do I miss his art? I guess not as much as I thought if I can't remember his name  Cheesy This art was nice as well, but it was "Renaldo" good  Wink

Flash - No idea why I read this. Well, I kind of do I think... I think it was Flash showing up in Nightwing that made me feel the pull towards opening this. And that wasn't a spoiler as Flash was on the Nightwing cover  Wink
This was fine. Nothing to keep me on though. At this time at least.

Captain America - Not as "joyful-fun" as I had expected, but I will come back. Maybe not right away (as I try to avoid single issues... like this week Cheesy), but who knows.

Witchfinder: Service - Okay, okay, I can see where this mini is going. 5 guys come across an ancient temple, discover bones inside and decide to take them. A mistake maybe as each one of the guys starts dying soon after. A classic tomb robber tale with a twist, I think?

Bloodshot - A fun book for me. Art by Jon Davis-Hunt was perfect for this title. The way he draws blood... hahaha. And this Deniz Camp guy, the writer, I've never come across his stuff before (That I remember) but I will keep my eyes open for him. He may just have something

Phenomena - Oh how I wish this looked different. I really wanted to read this to see if Bendis has truly fell all the way out of my favor (he is pretty darn far and close to the ledge as it is, but I remain hopeful there is at least one more shot for his return to being an enjoyable read for me), but sadly the way the art... the production I should say... was done in this book, I couldn't read it. The art itself looked amazing. So neat looking, creatures/characters so cool looking, very nice indeed, but the pages are filled with this pattern, or many different patterns, in such an abundance that it is very hard to see the art. I have to think this was a digital problem, that something along the way of getting it to Hoopla happened to cause such a disaster in appearance because I can't think this was intentional. It couldn't be. Such a shame.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2022, 09:46:48 AM »

Woke up at 2 AM and knocked out a few more. Finished the two DD issues, got through the first Witchfinder mini and read the first issue of a new trade I decided to go ahead and pull from my Hoopla "to be read" list (or Favorites actually, as that is what I am using to remember all the stuff I want to get to  Grin And I know I am not alone in that  Smiley)

DCI
Nightwing #90

Flash #780

MU
Daredevil v6 #21
Daredevil v6 #22

Daredevil v6 #23 <-┐
Daredevil v6 #24 <-Edited to Add

Other
 - The Wild Hunt #1
 - The Wild Hunt #2
 - The Wild Hunt #3
 - The Wild Hunt #4
 - The Wild Hunt #5
 - The Wild Hunt #6
 - The Wild Hunt #7
 - The Wild Hunt #8

-  The The Storm #1
-  The The Storm #2
-  The The Storm #3
-  The The Fury #1
-  The The Fury #2
-  The The Fury #3
C.O.W.L. v1: Principles of Power <-- Added
- C.O.W.L #1
 - C.O.W.L #2
 - C.O.W.L #3
 - C.O.W.L #4
 - C.O.W.L #5

Daredevil - Odd that I find this continuing story both out of the norm and at the same time very consistent for what I would expect from Daredevil. I can't explain why. Almost seems like I have read this so many times before, but then I think this is kinda wacky. Either way I dig it. And this time no strange outfit under a Nun's habit  Grin

Witchfinder - A decent first foray into this title. "Sir" Edward Grey, "Sir" by being granted knighthood by Queen Victoria (in which he rescinded his "official" standing in her court after she chose to hide the true identity of Jack the Ripper from the public Grin) As for the story, I enjoyed it (no, Jack the Ripper was not the story here  Cheesy) but at first I was thinking that I could have read this trade, this mini, at any point in my Hellboy read along. Was wondering why they placed it where they did, considering these stories here are over 100 years old, it didn't seem like there would be much continuity issues  Cheesy, but there is a... person of interest shown here that makes the timing all the more fun.

COWL - The first issue was decent enough. Story was interesting if not a little problematic with flow, but I hear it gets better. It wasn't bad, but I am not sure I would have paid to come back? Well, maybe. It is getting better the more I think on it now  Cheesy The art by Rod Reis (which I just found is pronounced Hase... like the word "Haste" but without the "t"  Cheesy) also adds a little to the disjointed feeling I had with this first issue. His painted style lends itself to be un-precise and that is a good thing, usually, but can also be a little difficult to capture different identities when you are first reintroduced to the later. I like the art, sort of Sienkiewicz meets Noto (Rod Reis did the art on the Hickman New Mutants run to give you an idea) but here, with unknown and unfamiliar subjects... and a lot darker in tone, it takes a little bit to settle in who is who.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 12:26:05 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2022, 08:47:37 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men Red #3
Wolverine #22

DC Universe Infinite    
Justice League #74
Nightwing #90
The Flash #780
Action Comics #1041
L.E.G.I.O.N. #23
L.E.G.I.O.N. #24
L.E.G.I.O.N. #25
L.E.G.I.O.N. #26

Hoopla

Moved really slow on reading this week. Just been really busy.  Finished one yesterday.  Hopefully I can get through a few more tonight.

Justice League #74 - End of the crossover. At least JL Dark were the main participants.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2022, 01:48:57 AM »

Deleted Action Comics 1041 from the list.  Goofed because that comes out next week not this week.

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men Red #3
Wolverine #22

DC Universe Infinite    
Justice League #74
Nightwing #90
The Flash #780

L.E.G.I.O.N. #23
L.E.G.I.O.N. #24
L.E.G.I.O.N. #25
L.E.G.I.O.N. #26

Hoopla

Nightwing #90 - Love seeing Nightwing and Wally together.  Nice team up start!

The Flash #780 - not a bad one shot tie in to the War for Earth-3.  Liked seeing Mirror Master.

Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #1 - Me likely! A lot!  Love the surprise guest appearances.  I’m looking forward to reading more of this!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS