HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:42:23 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, September 12, 2022  (Read 1441 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 12, 2022, 02:53:49 AM »

New week!

Marvel Unlimited
Amazing Spider-Man #3
Legion of X #2
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #232
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #233
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #234

DC Universe Infinite    
The Joker #12
L.E.G.I.O.N. #23
L.E.G.I.O.N. #24
L.E.G.I.O.N. #25
L.E.G.I.O.N. #26

Hoopla
C.O.W.L. Vol 1: Principles of Power
Richard Stark’s Parker Vol 2: The Outfit

Substack
3W/3M
   Culture

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 11:48:00 AM »

I also almost added the COWL collection this week, but had far too much other stuff. Speaking of...

Whoa!! I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this Mignola Read Quest. This Hellboy Omnibus, which is the next in line for me to read, is loaded. Over 500 pages. Lots of issues collected on this puppy, and the hurts a little as I really wanted to get through That Texas Blood this week. This is a lot for me in one week.
I guess we'll see
 Undecided
Once again I am posting the new release issues that I want to get to at some point, but only in my first post as I have no intention of reading them right now. But... ya never know
 Grin

DCI
The Joker #12

MU
Amazing Spider-Man #3
Thor #26

Daredevil v6 #21
Daredevil v6 #22

Other
That Texas Blood v1 (Collects Issues 1-6)
 - That Texas Blood #2
 - That Texas Blood #3
 - That Texas Blood #4
 - That Texas Blood #5
 - That Texas Blood #6
Hellboy Omnibus v3 - collecting the following trades and issues
- Hellboy: The Mole (short story)
Hellboy: Darkness Calls (1-6)
 - Darkness Calls #1
 - Darkness Calls #2
 - Darkness Calls #3
 - Darkness Calls #4
 - Darkness Calls #5
 - Darkness Calls #6
Hellboy: The Wild Hunt (1-8)
 - The Wild Hunt #1
 - The Wild Hunt #2
 - The Wild Hunt #3
 - The Wild Hunt #4
 - The Wild Hunt #5
 - The Wild Hunt #6
 - The Wild Hunt #7
 - The Wild Hunt #8
Hellboy: The The Storm and The Fury (1-3 + 1-3)
 -  The The Storm #1
 -  The The Storm #2
 -  The The Storm #3
 -  The The Fury #1
 -  The The Fury #2
 -  The The Fury #3

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 03:04:32 PM »

Wife is watching some White Queen series on Starz so giving me an opportunity to both watch the NFL highlights in peace  Cheesy and sneak some reading in between games

DCI
~~~~~~~

MU
Daredevil v6 #21
Daredevil v6 #22

Other
 - That Texas Blood #2
 - That Texas Blood #3
 - That Texas Blood #4
 - That Texas Blood #5
 - That Texas Blood #6
- Darkness Calls #1
- Darkness Calls #2
 - Darkness Calls #3
 - Darkness Calls #4
 - Darkness Calls #5
 - Darkness Calls #6
 - The Wild Hunt #1
 - The Wild Hunt #2
 - The Wild Hunt #3
 - The Wild Hunt #4
 - The Wild Hunt #5
 - The Wild Hunt #6
 - The Wild Hunt #7
 - The Wild Hunt #8
 -  The The Storm #1
 -  The The Storm #2
 -  The The Storm #3
 -  The The Fury #1
 -  The The Fury #2
 -  The The Fury #3

The Mole - Another useless Hellboy story, but I will forgive this one as I guess it was a FCBD issue. Nothing to see here.

Darkness Calls - THIS on the other hand, wow! This I think is going to be good. Setting up a big tale here. Lots of back story... most of which I actually remember (events more-so than names  Undecided but I am hoping to grasp them better now in the continual read cycle  Cheesy) but if the character seen in the last panel of issue 2 is who I think it is... and I do think it is... OH BOY!!! I'm excited for this.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 09:30:44 PM »

Batman Urban Legends #19
Superman Son of Kal-El #15

There are 13 variant covers for this week's Batman vs Robin #1 and I will be passing on all of them.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 09:36:44 AM »

DCI
~~~~~~~

MU
Daredevil v6 #21
Daredevil v6 #22

Other
- That Texas Blood #2
- That Texas Blood #3
 - That Texas Blood #4
 - That Texas Blood #5
 - That Texas Blood #6
- Darkness Calls #1
- Darkness Calls #2
- Darkness Calls #3
- Darkness Calls #4
- Darkness Calls #5
- Darkness Calls #6
 - The Wild Hunt #1
 - The Wild Hunt #2
 - The Wild Hunt #3
 - The Wild Hunt #4
 - The Wild Hunt #5
 - The Wild Hunt #6
 - The Wild Hunt #7
 - The Wild Hunt #8
 -  The The Storm #1
 -  The The Storm #2
 -  The The Storm #3
 -  The The Fury #1
 -  The The Fury #2
 -  The The Fury #3

That Texas Blood - Other than finding it odd in the last issue that
the cops didn't search, find and take into their possession the two coke or heroin dusted "Jewelry bags", as well as the 38 pistol that Randy found in his brother Travis' place
I think this is a pretty darn good little drama series so far. As good as Brubaker? Well, close... pretty close... but no. But this is, from what I can find, writer Chris Condon's first foray into this stuff and so maybe that is more impressive?
(also some great panel/page work by phillips)
Yeah, liking this a lot

Darkness Calls - I was right,
BABA-YAGA it was and oh what a nice revenge battle she provided by sending... a special indentured character to fight for her. I think this is the first appearance of this... semi-antagonist and so that was very cool.
  I know one thing, I have to search for a Mignola reference guide to help me pronounce some of the characters he uses in these titles  Cheesy I am aware they are all, or almost all  Wink, part of lore and mythology in various regions of the globe, but some are so deep in history I have never heard of them. Need a little help on knowing how to pronounce them. Yes, I am that anal. It bugs me to not know
 Grin
One thing I am not a fan of in this Omni, they do an anti-Marvel kind of thing  Grin. Almost every panel has a close up on the dialog on the next swipe. Even dialog boxes you (I  Wink) can easily read are often a repeated on the next page (swipe), the panel is the same but just zoomed in on the text more closely. Not all of them repeat like that but quite a bit, a large amount so far, so it is almost like reading everything twice on some pages. It is frustrating at first, especially as with Hoopla I have always been able to zoom in closer if I needed to read something more clearly. But hey, once you get your eye accustomed to the text size that they feel is too small, you can start to tell what panels will be zoomed in on the next "page" so you can swipe ahead knowing you don't have to read the first one.
 Cheesy Cheesy
That said, a very enjoyable mini.
Onto the next!!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 01:59:41 AM »

Here I come! Trying to Keep up on this weekly, particularly if I'm reading so much!!

MARVEL UNLIMITED

Jane Foster and the Mighty Thor - I'm interested! Keep it coming! Decent art too!

Amazing Spider-man 3 -something with the writing really makes me feel that the situations here and the events are really dire. I really do feel in the moment! Could still do without Romita

Legion of X 2 - I have no clue what is going on. But I kinda love it here!!

Thor 26 - This book almost feels like a fanboy written story, as how goofily awesome it is! LMAO!

Hulk Grand Design Monster & Madness - a fun flip through to follow Hulks history up to an almost present time. Cool trip down memory lane

DC INFINITE

Aquaman Deep Dives 5-9 - A Scorpio 3 parter in here was very blah. Cool to see Kordax mentioned! Even if this isn't proper continuity...I guess....

Batman 243 - Denny O Neil and Neal Adams Talia and Ra's Al Ghul old time goodness!!

Detective Comics 1056 - Almost to the end, but I've really enjoyed the ride, honest!

Superman Son of Kal-El 9 - Fun to see Nightwing here. This title, and Jon's life, is so horribly lived due to Bendis' story of outing Clark. What life can Jon live? I just can't move past that!!

Joker 13 - Having a blast with this title still Cheesy But still ending next issue? Sigh...Sad

Trial of the Amazons 1 - Somehow, with all the blah of Nubia and the Amazons 1-6, the failed Wonder Girl series with Yara, the prior WW storylines before her return from death being boring, this issue was well written, plotted, had many, different voices, all with a point, and nothing seems grossly ham-fisted. I'd give a slow clap and say 'well done!' honestly!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 02:05:09 AM »

OH yeah

hoopla

Black Hammer Age of Doom 1 & 2 - an okay story. I personally didn't want the crux of the story to go the way it did, but the ending was satisfactory. Not sure if I'm continuing on with the Black Hammer universe after this though

Ascender vol 1-4 whole series - A bit rushed, but I see what was going on, and am very happy this is where the series went to!!

King of Spies - Mark Millar; a dying spy takes revenge on all the wrongs he did. Cool story!

Righteous Thirst for Vengeance vol 1 - so minimalist, but glad I read it. Oh, more is coming? Cool!!

Comixology

The Fix 10-14 - oh, this didn't get finished.... Angry

Copperhead vol 3 & 4 - Oh, the title ended up abandoned.... Angry Cry

Onto God Country and Letter 44 (5 volumes!!!)

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 02:16:28 AM »

Man you guys are putting me to shame.  I haven't even started reading my list yet!!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2022, 01:49:47 AM »

Well....my books are probably closer to the last 2 weeks......

Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 03:03:49 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Amazing Spider-Man #3
Legion of X #2

Uncanny X-Men (1987) #232
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #233
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #234

DC Universe Infinite    
The Joker #12
L.E.G.I.O.N. #23
L.E.G.I.O.N. #24
L.E.G.I.O.N. #25
L.E.G.I.O.N. #26

Hoopla
C.O.W.L. Vol 1: Principles of Power
Richard Stark’s Parker Vol 2: The Outfit

Substack
3W/3M
   Culture

------------------------------------------------------

Amazing Spider-Man #3 - While I don’t hate the art, I wish it was done by someone else.  It’s a good enough story but could be so much more enjoyable with better art.

Legion of X #2 - I’m giving this one more issue to grab me. It has potential but is almost too weird.

The Joker #12 - Man this is some sick and twisted stuff! Kind of glad next issue is the big finale!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2022, 11:30:52 AM »

Whew, I don't know if I was just too danged tired last night or what, but after getting through about 3 or 4 pages, I think I am going to search for a video that helps recap some of the Hellboy runs before I get back to this Wild Hunt arc. Lots of references here on past events, characters and such. I remember most of the events, most of them, but some of the characters... their intents and motivations... has certainly fell right out of my brain.
 Grin

DCI
~~~~~~~

MU
Daredevil v6 #21
Daredevil v6 #22

Other
- That Texas Blood #2
- That Texas Blood #3
- That Texas Blood #4
- That Texas Blood #5
- That Texas Blood #6
- Darkness Calls #1
- Darkness Calls #2
- Darkness Calls #3
- Darkness Calls #4
- Darkness Calls #5
- Darkness Calls #6
 - The Wild Hunt #1
 - The Wild Hunt #2
 - The Wild Hunt #3
 - The Wild Hunt #4
 - The Wild Hunt #5
 - The Wild Hunt #6
 - The Wild Hunt #7
 - The Wild Hunt #8
 -  The The Storm #1
 -  The The Storm #2
 -  The The Storm #3
 -  The The Fury #1
 -  The The Fury #2
 -  The The Fury #3

That Texas Blood - Wow was expecting this first arc to go a totally different way;
just didn't expect Randy to go out and blow the shit out of those he felt were responsible  Cheesy. Everything was leading to that course of action, sure, but just thought that would be the twist, that he didn't. But hey, the fact he did end up doing what he did was a twist for me in the long run I guess  Cheesy However THE twist was having the girl be the one that killed his brother Travis. Now THAT was a good twist, mainly because it is so obvious at some point that I didn't think she did Grin
Is it Criminal level? Almost. Not as good, but Criminal's writer Ed Brubaker also has had a few more issues printed. This kid can and will improve. Same for the art. It isn't as good as Criminal's Sean Phillips, but Phillips' son does some pretty good stuff here and he also will improve.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2022, 06:08:19 PM »

Finished Black Science omnibus vol 3, and the series.

Hmm...this one is a thinker!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS