HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 07:20:05 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, September 6, 2022  (Read 2451 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2022, 03:02:06 PM »

I was spoiled on Batman Killing Time  Angry

But will still read it when it wraps up

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2022, 04:23:41 AM »

which brings me to The Fix by Nick Spencer...who has abandoned nearly every work he's ever done. I'll never touch another book of his again.

I thought he finally finished the Fix? Has it just been so long I don’t remember?

Never finished.

The last issue had
shown his partner had not been killed, but was being held by the bad guy, and the mayor, but still alive! Was not the last issue....

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2022, 09:43:53 AM »

DCI
~~~~~~

MU
Daredevil v6 #19
Daredevil v6 #20
Daredevil v6 #21

Other
B.P.R.D. v10 The Warning (1-5)
- The Warning #1
- The Warning #2
- The Warning #3
- The Warning #4
- The Warning #5

B.P.R.D. v11 The Black Goddess (1-5)
- The Black Goddess #1
- The Black Goddess #2
- The Black Goddess #3
- The Black Goddess #4
- The Black Goddess #5
Newburn v1 (Newburn 1-8)
- Newburn #1
- Newburn #2
- Newburn #3
- Newburn #4
- Newburn #5
- Newburn #6
- Newburn #7
- Newburn #8
- Fantastic Four: Full Circle

BPRD: The Black Goddess - Ohhhh, okay, getting stronger again with this chapter  Grin Without spoiling anything, yet also being so vague that no-one will understand I love the "stairs guy" also, enjoyed seeing that Abe is here for a reason. Sometimes he reminds us he can be a badass fighter, not just a thinker  Grin

Fantastic Four: Full Circle - Wow, what to say here. art had major problems, but one aspect of that didn't seem to be Ross' fault. It looked as though a lot of panels were "printer" type issues and not on the artist? At least that is the way it looked to me. Not sure if Ross was going for an older, weathered look or not,  but I doubt that as you would get some pristine "Ross" panels and then "BAM", others would look like it was the 5,000th print copy of a page that had been copied 10,000 times. Really confusing as it wasn't page to page this happened but panel to panel... and not all the time.
Add to that problem with the size issue, that this title should only be read in art book style, with huge pages, and you get a lot of pages that were very busy and too crowded to look at. Hard to really get the full scope. confusing panels almost. Not in the Bachelo manner (where you don't know if you're seeing an arm, a leg or... no, is that a car?), but in the "over-fantastical", mesmerizing dream like drawings that, sadly and proudly, had far too much going on inside those very small panels. Small only in that you can only go so big on a comic page, you really do need something like the "Artist Edition" for this story
Noticed how I have not mentioned the writing? Yeah, less said there...
I could feel the love for the Kirby days through the art and story (Reed even has a huge piece of artwork by a painter "Kirby" in the family room Grin), but Ross just isn't a writer. Easier to read than Stan Lee, for me (but most people with a finger to poke a keyboard qualifies in that regard  Cheesy... again.... for me), but for all the love Ross threw inside this book in his art, he failed to capture that love in the script. Dialog was okay, story was interesting, but at the same time not enjoyable. I ended up being left with a cold feeling when I thought about the story.
The love Ross instilled inside warmed me, in the end, but man this was... yeah.
Sorry for the rant, this was my comic, my family growing up, so I get a little opinionated on it at times
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2022, 12:16:15 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Strange #3

DC Universe Infinite    
Batman #121
Batman: Killing Time #1 - Tom King!
Dark Knights of Steel #5

Justice League #73
The Nice House on the Lake #7

War for Earth-3 #1
Suicide Squad #22 - part 2 of War for Earth-3

L.E.G.I.O.N. #23
L.E.G.I.O.N. #24
L.E.G.I.O.N. #25
L.E.G.I.O.N. #26

Hoopla
We Only Find Them When They’re Dead #11
We Only Find Them When They’re Dead #12
We Only Find Them When They’re Dead #13

------------------------------------------------------

War for Earth-3 #1  - Ok.  Too much weirdness surrounding sex.  Feels like just an extended Suicide Squad story.

Suicide Squad #22 - part 2 of War for Earth-3 - a little better than the first part.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2022, 12:17:38 PM »

Fantastic Four: Full Circle - Wow, what to say here.

Hmmmmm.  I have this saved in my favorites on Hoopla but now I’m not so inclined to look at it……

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2022, 05:34:37 PM »

Fantastic Four: Full Circle - Wow, what to say here.

Hmmmmm.  I have this saved in my favorites on Hoopla but now I’m not so inclined to look at it……

I would only add this if you had nothing else to read  Undecided Cry Cry Cry
Or you want to use a "monthly credit" because you have so many left over and just have time for a shorter (compared to HC or trades) 64 page story. Even then I almost want to say just let the credit expire
 Cry Cry Cry
But mileage does vary, and it is Alex Ross, so you may love ... nah, nevermind
 Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2022, 01:28:44 PM »

Finished my Hoopla and was DD'd out after two issues (not that it was bad, by any means, just needed a break), so I added a new trade to get me to tomorrow.
Not likely to finish it prior to that though as today is my holy day, NFL DAY BABY!, but I got a jump on next week at least
 Grin

DCI
~~~~~~

MU
Daredevil v6 #19
Daredevil v6 #20

Daredevil v6 #21

Other
B.P.R.D. v10 The Warning (1-5)
- The Warning #1
- The Warning #2
- The Warning #3
- The Warning #4
- The Warning #5

B.P.R.D. v11 The Black Goddess (1-5)
- The Black Goddess #1
- The Black Goddess #2
- The Black Goddess #3
- The Black Goddess #4
- The Black Goddess #5
Newburn v1 (Newburn 1-8)
- Newburn #1
- Newburn #2
- Newburn #3
- Newburn #4
- Newburn #5
- Newburn #6
- Newburn #7
- Newburn #8
- Fantastic Four: Full Circle
That Texas Blood v1 (Collects Issues 1-6) <-- Added
- That Texas Blood #1
 - That Texas Blood #2
 - That Texas Blood #3
 - That Texas Blood #4
 - That Texas Blood #5
 - That Texas Blood #6

Daredevil - Man I missed Checchetto, was happy to see his work again. This was pretty good stuff, although I have to question why... and I think this is what made me walk away from this title for a bit, at least for last night...
why in the hell did Typhoid Mary, who was currently living her life as a nun, have her outfit, including fishnet stockings at hand to change into once she was awakened back to her persona?
That really stuck in my craw, as they say.

BPRD: The Black Goddess - Pretty good finish though I am left feeling confused. As was the idea I believe, I don't think we are to know whether to trust or not trust a certain person at the end. I think I believe him, but... yeah, maybe the team is right? I do know the next Major storyline/plot/atmosphere  Cheesy so that isn't helping my head make a decision. Again, I think that is what the creative team wanted so... good on them
 Angry

That Texas Blood - Finally getting to the crime trades I have been wanting to read. Or read more of I should say, the ones that I had read the first issue or so of awhile back, the ones that Jeff continued to read, the ones that I was jealous that he did  Cheesy
Man, I am glad I forgot how much I enjoyed this intro (and now the entire first issue) or I damn sure would have kept buying the damn thing.
Replace the barren landscape of this small Texas town with mountains and trees and you would have my home town. The small community, the slow pace with its laid back attitude and the hidden anger that lies beneath... the reason why I always hated going back to my home town. Of course now that I am older, I look forward to getting out of this place and move to a place so similar to that very thing Cheesy
Art is great by Jacob Phillips, the same artist as Newburn (and the same guy that colored Sean Phillip's, his daddy, stuff in Reckless and Criminal). I like his style as it is similar to his pops, yet different enough. Sort of like J.R.jr. when he first started at Marvel and his stuff looked like his daddy's stuff (man do I miss THAT). Another thing cool about going straight from this artist's work on Newburn to this is the drastic different look, going from the big city to the small town. It's kinda neat to see
As for the story, truly a slow burn here by Chip Zdarsky, but he proves once again that he has the chops. Yeah, this is right up this crime lovin' old man's sweet spot to say the least.
Glad Jeff liked it and posted each month so I remembered to come back. I would have forgot about it. I am sure
Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS