HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:06:28 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, September 6, 2022  (Read 2432 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 05, 2022, 05:01:47 AM »

Lots of DC this week.  Something tells me I’ll have room to add more!

Marvel Unlimited
Strange #3

DC Universe Infinite    
Batman #121
Dark Knights of Steel #5
Justice League #73
The Nice House on the Lake #7
War for Earth-3 #1
L.E.G.I.O.N. #23
L.E.G.I.O.N. #24
L.E.G.I.O.N. #25
L.E.G.I.O.N. #26

Hoopla
We Only Find Them When They’re Dead #11
We Only Find Them When They’re Dead #12
We Only Find Them When They’re Dead #13

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 11:46:46 AM »

Well, I'm having a little too much fun with not only BPRD, but with reading issues back to back (man I do love a collection), so for the next week or so (until I get bored  Grin) I am going to just download the new single issues from Marvel and DC to read later.
While I really want to continue reading Strange, Punisher, Nice House, Dark Knights, etc... and I am intrigued by War on Earth and more upcoming like Batman #125 (Zdarsky's first issue) and Detective #162 (Spurrier and Ram V's first issue), I am going to try and hold off on all that and dive into a lot of older stuff so I can read issues back to back for awhile. I hope. Stay on the Omni/trade or lots of older issues path for a bit. Or at least for a week knowing me
 Cheesy
I am also, I think, going to mainly concentrate on catching up on the BPRD for now, I am really into that series. I'm burning through them and following a reading order list I found HERE (you can click the bottom buttons to switch between omnibus reading and trade reading)
But I will mix it up a bit and not stay JUST on my new found love, BPRD  Grin.
Interested in seeing if I can do this, read only collections and older issues for any length of time. Probably not, but I'll see.

Still adding the new comics from the Big Two I am looking forward to reading on here, but only in my first post. So maybe I can look back at it later to see what I wanted to read.  
 Cool

DCI
Batman: Killing Time #1
Dark Knights of Steel #5
Nice House on the Lake #7
One-Star Squadron #4

MU
Strange #3
Alien #12

Daredevil v6 #19
Daredevil v6 #20
Daredevil v6 #21

Other
(Hoopla doesn't have the BPRD v4 Omni, the next in line for me, but they do have the trades that it contains)
B.P.R.D. v10 The Warning (1-5)
- The Warning #1
- The Warning #2
- The Warning #3
- The Warning #4
- The Warning #5
B.P.R.D. v11 The Black Goddess (1-5)
- The Black Goddess #1
- The Black Goddess #2
- The Black Goddess #3
- The Black Goddess #4
- The Black Goddess #5
Newburn v1 (Newburn 1-8)
- Newburn #1
- Newburn #2
- Newburn #3
- Newburn #4
- Newburn #5
- Newburn #6
- Newburn #7
- Newburn #8

Newburn - This is a re-read for me but damn... it really does drive home my feeling that reading issues consecutively is so much more enjoyable (and retainable) for me.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 09:13:00 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 02:18:01 PM »

Last night, I read for 3 and a half hours. Really got caught up on so many things. But formatting will fall to the wayside; sorry all!

DC
Action Comics (been surprisingly enjoying this each month)
Detective Comics -5 issues done; all caught up !!
Aquaman/Green Arrow Deep Targets-1 issue left in this weird little mini
Deathstroke Inc; I'm cooled a bit with this title, but last page leaves me curious for more
Human Target 5 was AMAZING needs to be read twice
Blue & Gold 5 & 6; more of a thumb through. The stuff worth reading is only from Rip Hunter
Robin 11
Wonder Woman -eh
Suicide Squad & Task Force Z -these books have such weird angles being pushed and driving towards; I really like that!

Marvel
Devil's Reign Omega'
Moon Knight
Punisher 3 -leaning more into 'no' towards the origin change

1 omnibus of Descender from hoopla-well, great! Now I have to go and finish up all of Ascender now! Cheesy

Also, looking to add Manifest Destiny, which was a title I wasn't able to finish...because My buddy moved away and I didn't collect it!
That and Black Hammer I've bought and not read, and Black Magick that I've bought and not read (which I assume is very much dead in the water, like Morning Glories).

I think I'd like to finish up all my comixology trade purchases...and then, hell, probably never buy a trade on there again as long as hoopla is doing the best job of it!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 04:06:57 PM »

Added a couple more DC after seeing the drop list this morning.

Marvel Unlimited
Strange #3

DC Universe Infinite    
Batman #121
ADD: Batman: Killing Time #1 - Tom King!
Dark Knights of Steel #5
Justice League #73
War for Earth-3 #1
ADD: Suicide Squad #22 - part 2 of War for Earth-3
L.E.G.I.O.N. #23
L.E.G.I.O.N. #24
L.E.G.I.O.N. #25
L.E.G.I.O.N. #26

Hoopla

Strange #3 - These definitely read fast.  Nice setup issue for what offers to be one big fight in the world of magic.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 02:08:08 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Strange #3

DC Universe Infinite    
Batman #121
Batman: Killing Time #1 - Tom King!
Dark Knights of Steel #5
Justice League #73
War for Earth-3 #1
Suicide Squad #22 - part 2 of War for Earth-3
L.E.G.I.O.N. #23
L.E.G.I.O.N. #24
L.E.G.I.O.N. #25
L.E.G.I.O.N. #26

Hoopla

We Only Find Them When They’re Dead #11 - 13 - Wow!  I forgot how great this book is!  This third arc seems to be bringing everything together.  All the pieces are starting to fall into place. And yet there are still plenty of holy sh!t moments!  Definitely going to re-read this whole thing a second time when it’s finished!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 02:16:16 AM »

And....I believe I'm all caught up!

I did my Marvel stuff earlier today as breaks from work; Strange 3 (I'm digging the book, and with
Thunderstrike! somehow returns!
I'm around. Ghost Rider 3 is so damned strange, and for that, I LOVE IT!

Avengers Forever 6, is supposed to be a kissing cousin to the main Avenger's title? Sure, but I'm kinda just reading it as a cool Elseworlds tale, and I dig what's being written.  Why I also read AVengers 56 to see Jane & Jane side by side! And a poignant ending, but for the main Avengers title, the art is rather mundane. The 'Forever' title has Aaron Kuder on it! This title...does not. I read Captain Marvel 38, and can't remember why I bothered to try and keep up. I won't make that mistake next month-especially with having Genis Vell around to read!

Spider-man 2099 exodus #1 is so damned confusing. I have no clue what has been said or printed in these first 2 issues. I want to read about Miguel and his Spidey adventures. This book? I have no clue what its even trying to do.

But Legion of X 1 interested me! Because I love how dangerous, crazy, and all POWERFUL Legion is! I'm gonna read another issue! And I Read Deadpool Bad Blood by Rob Liefeld because I love how terrible he draws, but I can't look away!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 02:23:24 AM »

Into DC...

Dark Knights of Steel 5, oh girl you a LIAR, I love it! And what a twist on characters and events for the rising action of this book!

Justice League Incarnate 5 gives rise to the next big cosmos event; I feel a little fatigued, but not completely because I kinda really dig this stuff-usually! I hope for more consistent art though.

After that, it was War for Earth 3 1 and part 2 in Suicide Squad 13; I dig this crossover so far! I can't help but be engaged by the insanity in this!

Detective comics 1055 is me really catching up and fully understanding this arc, and in generaly, really enjoying it! And I REALLY want to know who this kid in the back up story is!!

Batman Killing Time 1 was AWESOME. Batman/Catwoman Christmas Special 1 was so poignant and sad to me. Batman the Knight 1&2 was so very cool in the read; didn't think I'd want to read some more beginning Batman adventuers. But I'm not! I'm reading Bruce Wayne! And Batman 121 is just...Batman goodness! Okay, I know why DC puts out so many Batman books; it's almost easy, and usually can ALWAYS be good!

Then there's Aquamen 1 -not great art, but I'm intrigued by the mystery of events presented in the book, so I'm gonna keep up on it!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 02:27:11 AM »

AND

King of Spies tpb from Mark Millar and Matteo scalero; I dug it! Millar never pulls punches on who he doesn't like, and who deserves it!

A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance vol 1; oh, this is still ongoing? Cool! A minimalist approach in writing, but greatly detailed in art and pictures to tell a story; I'd like another please.

Descender complete collection vol2 made me very happy to have finally finished, so now it's on to Ascender vol 1-3!!

AND

Black Hammer Vol 2; great! now I can use Hoopla to read ALL THE OTHER STUFF IN THIS WORLD!

and Copperhead vol 3 and 4...and be said that this Martian sci-fi western comic is dead in the water, since it hasn't published anything in 3 years

which brings me to The Fix by Nick Spencer...who has abandoned nearly every work he's ever done. I'll never touch another book of his again.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 02:29:40 AM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 11:07:25 AM »

A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance vol 1 [...] I'd like another please.

Yes, yes. Me too!!

Black Hammer Vol 2; great! now I can use Hoopla to read ALL THE OTHER STUFF IN THIS WORLD!

The ancillary titles are fun, but... well, just be aware that for me, mainly just me  Grin, the main Hammer title started to go down a tad with the Age of Doom series... again, for me  Grin I felt it came back with "Reborn", but I still had a little bit of sour on my tongue by the time that hit. So much so that I don't think I enjoyed Reborn as much as I should've/could've. It was good, but it also came out around the same time as Black Hammer Visions (which I despised) I still enjoyed the rest of the universe, though maybe not so much The Unteens  Undecided  Nothing has captured the joy of that first series though. I am hopeful The End will change all that as Lemire has signed on with Image and ending Black Hammer in 2023
Maybe its time, maybe it isn't, I just hope its good

which brings me to The Fix by Nick Spencer...who has abandoned nearly every work he's ever done. I'll never touch another book of his again.

While I won't go as far as you did there, I do understand the frustration.
 Cheesy

DCI
~~~~~~

MU
Daredevil v6 #19
Daredevil v6 #20
Daredevil v6 #21

Other
- The Warning #1
- The Warning #2
- The Warning #3
- The Warning #4
- The Warning #5

- The Black Goddess #1
- The Black Goddess #2
- The Black Goddess #3
- The Black Goddess #4
- The Black Goddess #5
Newburn v1 (Newburn 1-8)
- Newburn #1
- Newburn #2
- Newburn #3
- Newburn #4
- Newburn #5
- Newburn #6
- Newburn #7
- Newburn #8

BPRD: The Warning - Honestly, not as good as what I have been reading from this title. It is a set-up to what I already know is coming, so I will give a little leeway, but yeah, overall not as fun. A necessity that I understand, but not as fun. That being said we are getting more of a certain Pulp character now, one that I am supremely interested in, so for that... Perry likey
 Grin
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 01:26:29 PM »

Batman #127
Black Adam the Justice Society Files Atom Smasher#1... the first two tie-ins were fairly interestiing and fun.
Dark Crisis  On Infinite Earths #4
Dark Knights of Steel Tales from the Three Kingdoms  #1
Flashpoint Beyond #5
Multiversity Teen Justice #4

Just curious, do we really need another Avengers title with another #1? UGH
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 01:48:57 PM »

I thought he finally finished the Fix? Has it just been so long I don’t remember?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2022, 03:27:24 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Strange #3

DC Universe Infinite    
Batman #121
Dark Knights of Steel #5

Justice League #73
War for Earth-3 #1
L.E.G.I.O.N. #23
L.E.G.I.O.N. #24
L.E.G.I.O.N. #25
L.E.G.I.O.N. #26

Hoopla

Batman #121 - the end of the Abyss arc and the start of a lot of new stuff!

Batman: Killing Time #1 - Another great Tom King book in the making.  Our favorite villains at their best... or should I say worst?! Loved this issue.

Dark Knights of Steel #5 - Another good issue with another twist!  Although I did see it coming.  Still, great issue.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2022, 04:05:29 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Strange #3

DC Universe Infinite    
Batman #121
Dark Knights of Steel #5

Justice League #73

War for Earth-3 #1
L.E.G.I.O.N. #23
L.E.G.I.O.N. #24
L.E.G.I.O.N. #25
L.E.G.I.O.N. #26

Hoopla

Justice League #73 - While I’m happy to have my JL Dark at the center of all this.  I’m not a fan of what Bendis is doing here.  It’s not all bad but it could be better.

The Nice House on the Lake #7 - I’m even more confused but I still like it.  Probably going to require a re-read once it’s all done.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2022, 09:18:23 AM »

WOO-HOO
Hoopla added the new Alex Ross Fantastic Four book yesterday!!! I started it last night, but didn't see it was available until AFTER I read and finished Newburn... by then I was wiped out. I was only able to get through the first 20 pages or so (outta 64) of the FF book and... well... it isn't the greatest, but you can see the love and sometimes that's enough for me.  Grin
Going to start all over from the beginning tonight or sometime today, in the hopes that I was just too tired to grasp how grand it truly was last night, though I don't think there will be too much of a change in my feelings. Colors are a little jarring, but I saw them already in a preview awhile back, so I was ready for that part. Still there is just something...
Again, I can really see how much Ross loves the older FF and I think for me, being a huge "FFan", that that will carry my enjoyment over the top... regardless
Grin
(I hope)
 Wink

DCI
~~~~~~

MU
Daredevil v6 #19
Daredevil v6 #20
Daredevil v6 #21

Other
- The Warning #1
- The Warning #2
- The Warning #3
- The Warning #4
- The Warning #5

- The Black Goddess #1
- The Black Goddess #2
- The Black Goddess #3
- The Black Goddess #4
- The Black Goddess #5
Newburn v1 (Newburn 1-8)
- Newburn #1
- Newburn #2
- Newburn #3
- Newburn #4
- Newburn #5
- Newburn #6
- Newburn #7
- Newburn #8
-Fantastic Four: Full Circle - Added (with a quickness)  Grin

Newburn - Really enjoyed this series and glad it will be returning. Loved the last issue especially. Easton is something to see.
I almost left that as "Easton is..."
Grin

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2022, 02:17:34 PM »

Batman #121 - the end of the Abyss arc and the start of a lot of new stuff!

Batman: Killing Time #1 - Another great Tom King book in the making.  Our favorite villains at their best... or should I say worst?! Loved this issue.

Dark Knights of Steel #5 - Another good issue with another twist!  Although I did see it coming.  Still, great issue.

LOVED Batman: Killing Time! I still need to pick up the last issue but it's a fun, twisty story.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS