HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 12:10:38 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, August 29, 2022  (Read 1457 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 29, 2022, 11:30:16 AM »

Still mad at this MU app  Grin, may get to Marvel this week, may not. Not only because I am still pissy about them deleting my MoKF that I was getting ready to read Angry but I have a lot of Hoopla to get through this week as they had "Bonus Borrows" this month and I couldn't resist.
I did cancel the idea of trying to get through Maestro and may delete the X stuff once I get a text back  Grin

DCI
Action Comics #1040
Human Target #5

MU
X-Men Red #3
Daredevil v6 #17
Hulk vs. Thor: Banner War Alpha
Thor #25
X-Men #12 (and thanks to Jimbo for letting us know to read this prior to the Gala)
X-Men: Hellfire Gala #1
Punisher #3
Amazing Spider-Man #2

Other
B.P.R.D Plague of Frogs v3 Omnibus - Issues-
 - The Universal Machine #1
 - The Universal Machine #2
 - The Universal Machine #3
 - The Universal Machine #4
 - The Universal Machine #5
 - Garden of Souls #1
 - Garden of Souls #2
 - Garden of Souls #3
 - Garden of Souls #4
 - Garden of Souls #5
 - Killing Ground #1
 - Killing Ground #2
 - Killing Ground #3
 - Killing Ground #4
 - Killing Ground #5
The Shadow: Master Series v1 - Issues-
 - Shadows of Light #1
 - Shadows of Light #2
 - Shadows of Light #3
 - Shadows of Light #4
 - Shadows of Light #5
Witchfinder: In the Service of Angels v1 - Issues-
 - In the Service of Angels #1
 - In the Service of Angels #2
 - In the Service of Angels #3
 - In the Service of Angels #4
 - In the Service of Angels #5
Carthago: The Fortuna Island Lagoon

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 11:53:36 AM »

Lots of Marvel this week.

Marvel Unlimited
X-Force #28
X-Men #12
Legion of X #1
Amazing Spider-Man #2
Punisher #3
Devils Reign Omega #1

DC Universe Infinite    
The Flash 779
Human Target 5      
Action Comics 1040

Hoopla
Richard Stark’s Parker: The Hunter - Adapted & Illustrated by Darwyn Cooke

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 03:57:03 PM »

Working from home this week and picking up my pull during Wednesday's lunch break.

Harley Quinn Annual 2022... not my usual book but it continues last week's saga of Luke Fox.

I was surprised that all three issues of Dark Crisis (on Infinite Earths) are out with a second printing. It's good but not that good.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 03:16:00 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Force #28
X-Men #12
Legion of X #1
Amazing Spider-Man #2
Punisher #3
Devils Reign Omega #1

DC Universe Infinite    
The Flash 779
Human Target 5      
Action Comics 1040

Hoopla

X-Force #28 - while I’m not a fan of the villain here, I am enjoying the destructive nature that X-Force is having to face.  Definitely some gruesome stuff.

Legion of X #1 - Hmmm. I don’t know about this one. I didn’t really enjoy it.  But I like some of the characters still see where the next couple lead us.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 03:43:50 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Force #28
X-Men #12

Legion of X #1
Amazing Spider-Man #2
Punisher #3
Devils Reign Omega #1

DC Universe Infinite    
The Flash 779
Human Target 5      
Action Comics 1040

Hoopla

X-Men #12 - A must read before the Hellfire Gala.  This one sets everything up for that comic and the next year of X-adventure.

X-Men: Hellfire Gala #1 - Good reset for the coming year.  I’m mostly ok with the new X-Men team with maybe one exception.  No spoilers but I’d say this is a must read so you’ll see where the next years stories started from.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 02:03:48 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Force #28
X-Men #12

Legion of X #1
Amazing Spider-Man #2
Punisher #3
Devils Reign Omega #1

DC Universe Infinite    
The Flash 779
Human Target 5      
Action Comics 1040

Hoopla

Amazing Spider-Man #2 - I’m not a fan of Tombstone as a villain but nevertheless, this is a pretty good series so far.

Punisher #3 - No real surprise with this twist at the end.  Clearly though, this will not end well for Frank.

Devils Reign Omega #1 - Wrap up for the Devils Reign arc and kickoff for the new series.  I’m more excited for the new arc than I was for this issue.  Too much Mayor Cage which I don’t have any interest in.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 01:08:07 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Force #28
X-Men #12

Legion of X #1
Amazing Spider-Man #2
Punisher #3
Devils Reign Omega #1

DC Universe Infinite    
The Flash 779
Human Target 5      
Action Comics 1040

Hoopla

The Flash 779 - Nice finish for that arc.  Liked seeing JL Dark guest star as well.

Human Target 5   - New clues and new suspects.  Still no idea who actually committed the crime.

Action Comics 1040 - More Gladiator Superman!  Getting closer to Midnighter’s big plan.  I’m enjoying this crazy tale.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 07:27:16 PM »

Decided I'm just going to wait on the Hulk/Banner War stuff
Also decided, or at least I think I have, for now, that I am done with all the "x" titles except for Immortal X-Men. I will also try (and look forward to) the A.X.E event, though I am slightly more scared about it than I was earlier
 Grin

DCI
Action Comics #1040
Human Target #5

MU
X-Men Red #3
Daredevil v6 #17
Daredevil v6 #18

Daredevil v6 #19 - Added 18 and 19
Thor #25

X-Men #12

Punisher #3
Amazing Spider-Man #2

Other
 - Garden of Souls #1
 - Garden of Souls #2

- Garden of Souls #3
 - Garden of Souls #4
 - Garden of Souls #5
 - Killing Ground #1
 - Killing Ground #2
 - Killing Ground #3
 - Killing Ground #4
 - Killing Ground #5
 - Shadows of Light #1
 - Shadows of Light #2
 - Shadows of Light #3
 - Shadows of Light #4
 - Shadows of Light #5

Carthago - Wanted this writer's "Promethee" title as I have been reading the new prequel of it (about an alien invasion), but its not up on Hoopla yet (not at the current library I am logged into at least Smiley) so I tried this one that features a Megalodon instead. It was a'ight. Will try the rest later down the road.

BPRD - The transition from the first mini to the second one in the Omni has been seamless. Really good. Enjoying this title and liking the characters. Glad I tried getting back to the Magnola'verse again. Finding more corners I haven't tried yet. Hellboy was fine, but this title feels way less repetitive... so far at least

Amazing Spider-Man - A little less enjoyable than the first issue, but I think most of that, for me, came from the art being too boxed in. No room in the art. Each panel feels like it is filled with nothing but heads and hands and not much else.

Daredevil - Ahhh, how I missed this. This is another prime example of me making myself so happy that I wait on some titles to read them in larger chunks, instead of one a month!

Human Target - Ahhh, like Jeff mentioned, the suspect list gets hot! What a pairing that is for sex  Grin

Action Comics - Probably my favorite of this arc yet. Still not a fan of this damn planet or its ruler(s), but I finally got some enjoyment out of them
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 01:35:00 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Force #28
X-Men #12

Legion of X #1
Amazing Spider-Man #2
Punisher #3
Devils Reign Omega #1

DC Universe Infinite    
The Flash 779
Human Target 5      
Action Comics 1040

Hoopla

Richard Stark’s Parker: The Hunter - Adapted & Illustrated by Darwyn Cooke - 144 pages and I finished it in one evening.  Just couldn’t put it down. Great story and Cookes art does it justice.  Once I finish these three adaptations, I’m going to have to start reading the actual novels!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 07:10:50 PM »

Just saw that Nice House #7 hits DC this coming week and with my memory (and the fact that DC refuses to give us a refresher at the beginning of their books), I need a reminder of where we left off so adding issue #6 back to the list. Of course Tynion will probably add a recap and it will be for nothing, but that is what I'm doing
 Smiley

DCI
Action Comics #1040
Human Target #5

Nice House on the Lake #6

MU
X-Men Red #3
Daredevil v6 #17
Daredevil v6 #18

Daredevil v6 #19
Thor #25

X-Men #12

Punisher #3
Amazing Spider-Man #2

Other
- Garden of Souls #1
- Garden of Souls #2
- Garden of Souls #3
 - Garden of Souls #4
 - Garden of Souls #5
 - Killing Ground #1
 - Killing Ground #2
 - Killing Ground #3
 - Killing Ground #4
 - Killing Ground #5
- Shadows of Light #1
 - Shadows of Light #2
 - Shadows of Light #3
 - Shadows of Light #4
 - Shadows of Light #5

BPRD - Just one more issue knocked out but really enjoying this deeper dive (hahaha, pun not intentional) to Abe Sapien's history... and all that that entails.

The Shadow - Man, this coloring is so harsh. I don't usually think of "colorful" when I think of The Shadow. Much how I can't stand florescent orange being used as a background color in Batman, the bright coloring here is doing its best to try and take me out of the story. I think I may wait until I am done with this volume of BPRD to knock out this Shadow stuff. I think I need more back-to-back reading to get my eyes adjusted to not only the coloring, but the drastic body features and poses that Sienkiewicz is going with here.
I know I can get used to both, it is like reading Judge Dredd, but it takes me a little bit to get there
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2022, 10:52:17 AM »

Knocked out a few last night before crashing and got a head start on tomorrow's "new approach" as well

DCI
Action Comics #1040
Human Target #5

Nice House on the Lake #6

MU
X-Men Red #3
Daredevil v6 #17
Daredevil v6 #18

Daredevil v6 #19
Thor #25

X-Men #12

Punisher #3
Amazing Spider-Man #2

Other
- Garden of Souls #1
- Garden of Souls #2
- Garden of Souls #3
- Garden of Souls #4
- Garden of Souls #5
- Killing Ground #1
- Killing Ground #2
- Killing Ground #3
- Killing Ground #4
- Killing Ground #5
- Shadows of Light #1
 - Shadows of Light #2
 - Shadows of Light #3
 - Shadows of Light #4
 - Shadows of Light #5

BPRD - This Omni started out... as Larry David would say... prett'ay, prett'ay, prett'ay good  Grin but man did it get even better. I see no reason why this can't or shouldn't make it into my top 5 reads of the year... if I were to do such a thing  Grin Especially due to the amazing work in both the Garden of Souls and the Killing Ground minis. Those were some great comics. And that is not a slight at the Universal Machine mini, which set all of this up... in a way  Wink nor is it taking anyting away from the earlier minis that I recently read, but those last two... Ahhhh, so good.
I never paid much attention to John Arcudi, writer on BPRD (with Mignola's occasional plots and continual oversight  Grin) but I damn sure will from now on. Dude can set-up some killer stuff.
No idea why I decided to get back into this universe again, but glad I did. I know there are some Hellboy minis and stories I missed from back, back when I was reading that, but the movies pretty much tell you almost all the important stuff anyway so... haha. I will catch up to history later, go back and read some of the Hellboy stories I may have missed at another time, but for now, I am all aboard that BPRD train and I'm on the tracks heading towards the future.
 Cheesy
Woot-Wooooot

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS