HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:06:13 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, August 8, 2022  (Read 1672 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 08, 2022, 12:36:58 PM »

Keeping it short this week as I’m going to be swamped with work.

Marvel Unlimited
Maestro World War M #3
Giant Size X-Men: Thunderbird #1

DC Universe Infinite
Dark Knights of Steel 4      
Batman 120

Hoopla
Batman: Ego and Other Tails by Darwyn Cooke

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 02:05:58 PM »

With all the craziness going on over the last couple days, I had forgotten all about it being Monday today. Was up last night and didn't even think about getting the new Marvel (Turns out however as I try to post this... a first!?!?! No Marvel this week  Shocked Shocked Shocked)

Sooooo. here is the odd list for this week and I can only say that there will be additions
 Cheesy
Also happy that I have less than 6 more issues before I jump on Batman and... I think... 5 before I jump on Detective!
 Cheesy
And heck, as the wife is out of town this week, I will be making it to the LCS to see the gang AND flip through an issue or two (seems like months since I have gone)
 Angry

DCI
Catwoman #39
One-Star Squadron #3
Dark Knights of Steel #4

MU
Nada, Zilch, Nothing... volume 1  Grin

Other
B.P.R.D Plague of Frogs v2 Omnibus - containing issues-
The Dead (mini-series)
 - The Dead #1
 - The Dead #2
 - The Dead #3
 - The Dead #4
 - The Dead #5
War on Frogs and Black Flame (mini-series)
 - The Black Flame #1
 - War on Frogs #1
 - Revival
 - War on Frogs #2
 - War on Frogs #4
 - The Black Flame #2
 - The Black Flame #3
 - The Black Flame #4
 - The Black Flame #5
 - The Black Flame #6
 - War on Frogs #3

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 02:20:39 PM »

Here ya go my man
 Grin Cheesy Cheesy
Hoping you will keep us updated on each issue/story as you go, unless you read the whole thing in one go, which you can do for sure, but if you only get through one or two... yeah, tell us about it?

Hoopla
Batman: Ego and Other Tails by Darwyn Cooke - Containing the following...
 - Batman: Ego OGN
 - Catwoman: Selina's Big Score OGN
 - Batman: Gotham Knights #23
 - Batman: Gotham Knights #33
 - Solo #1
 - Solo #5

I'm also really interested if the Solo issues. As that was an anthology, I am wondering if this volume has the entire issue or does it only have the Tim Sale story from each issue? Ya know, because of the title of this puppy?  Cheesy Let us know?
 Wink
(And hey, I'm just wasting time, wife is gone, like I said, and I was curious as to what issues were included. You don't need to tell us about each story if you don't want to.)
 Smiley Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 07:38:23 PM »

It’s 256 pages. Would that be everything?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 08:11:42 PM »

It’s 256 pages. Would that be everything?

According to the list of contents it is
 Smiley

(Those OGN's can be pretty big though, so that sounds right)

EDIT -
Batman: Ego = 64 pages
Catwoman one = 96 pages
Gotham Knights #23 = 30 pages (but only 8 are Cooke)
Gotham Knights #33 = 30 pages (but again, only 8 are by Cooke)
No idea how they are doing the anthology though

Keep in mind, the BPRD Omni I am reading only has about 16 total issues and it is listed at 480 pages
So yeah, I think that is about right for the one you have
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 08:25:47 PM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 05:43:31 PM »

DCI
Catwoman #39
One-Star Squadron #3
Dark Knights of Steel #4

MU
XXXXXX

Other
The Dead (mini-series)
- The Dead #1
 - The Dead #2
 - The Dead #3
 - The Dead #4
 - The Dead #5
 - The Black Flame #1
 - War on Frogs #1
 - Revival
 - War on Frogs #2
 - War on Frogs #4
 - The Black Flame #2
 - The Black Flame #3
 - The Black Flame #4
 - The Black Flame #5
 - The Black Flame #6
 - War on Frogs #3

Catwoman - Yeah, shouldn't even count this as a read as I only made it to page 5 or so. I have discovered I am not a fan of Tini Howard. Didn't like her X stuff that much and... well... moving on

The Dead - So far a good start to a typical BPRD book. This stuff is like Conan or Aliens to me. On the surface it is so much the same, but when you're in the mood for it, DAMN is it fun
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 04:14:27 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Maestro World War M #3

DC Universe Infinite
Dark Knights of Steel 4      
Batman 120

Hoopla

Maestro World War M #3 - More intrigue with Namor, Doom, and Abomination.  Good issue as we close in on the end of this trilogy.

Giant Size X-Men: Thunderbird #1 - Explains why Thunderbird is so angry in X-Men Red but not a must read.

Dark Knights of Steel 4 - Bruce Wayne’s true origin revealed! Another great issue.

Batman 120 - The Abyss storyline comes closer to its end. Next issue looks to have some good battles coming.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 01:31:47 PM »

Marvel Unlimited

Batman 120 - The Abyss storyline comes closer to its end. Next issue looks to have some good battles coming.

Did you see that Batman Incorporated is getting its own series this fall? Except for Clownhunter (lame AF), I like this ensemble of Bats.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 01:37:19 PM »

Marvel Unlimited

Did you see that Batman Incorporated is getting its own series this fall? Except for Clownhunter (lame AF), I like this ensemble of Bats.

No I didn’t!  I’ll have to check that out.  I actually didn’t mind Clownhunter.  Although the name is dumb,  He was one of the few new characters I found interesting during Joker War.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 01:47:39 PM »

Marvel Unlimited

No I didn’t!  I’ll have to check that out.  I actually didn’t mind Clownhunter.  Although the name is dumb,  He was one of the few new characters I found interesting during Joker War.

from the October solicitations....

BATMAN INCORPORATED #1
Written by ED BRISSON
Art and cover by JOHN TIMMS
Variant cover by JORGE MOLINA
1:25 variant cover by DERRICK CHEW
1:50 variant cover by JEFF SPOKES
$3.99 US | 32 pages | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
ON SALE 10/11/22
From the pages of Batman comes an all-new, all-exciting adventure for Ghost-Maker and his Batman Incorporated team! The team's trust issues and detective skills are immediately put to the test when someone from Ghost-Maker and Batman's recent past is brutally murdered…Is this an isolated event, sending a message to the two? Or is this the start of something darker and more sinister? (Hint—it's sinister and dark!)
The all-star creative team of Ed Brisson and John Timms chart a new future for Batman Incorporated in this exciting new ongoing series, loaded with adventure, excitement, and amazing new members and villains!
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 01:49:46 PM »

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2022, 02:28:29 PM »

Well, damn it, I needed to get some Marvel on this list so hearing how both Jimbo and Jeff have been enjoying the Maestro minis I added all three of them. I had already read the first issue of the first mini and scanning over it I do remember liking it (not sure why I stopped), but with my memory... yeah, I will be reading it again.
 Grin

DCI
Catwoman #39
One-Star Squadron #3
Dark Knights of Steel #4

MU
Maestro #1
Maestro #2
Maestro #3
Maestro #4
Maestro #5

Other
The Dead (mini-series)
- The Dead #1
 - The Dead #2
 - The Dead #3
 - The Dead #4
 - The Dead #5
 - The Black Flame #1
 - War on Frogs #1
 - Revival
 - War on Frogs #2
 - War on Frogs #4
 - The Black Flame #2
 - The Black Flame #3
 - The Black Flame #4
 - The Black Flame #5
 - The Black Flame #6
 - War on Frogs #3

One Star Squadron - Still enjoying this, but the Mark Russell'ness is starting to really push through now. I mean it has been prominent since page one and I do enjoy his writing (most times, his FF: LIFE STORY was total shit  Angry), but I would really also enjoy a book where he... hell, I can't explain it... where he would be less Mark Russell?
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2022, 03:52:58 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Maestro World War M #3

DC Universe Infinite
Dark Knights of Steel 4      
Batman 120

Hoopla
     Batman Ego
     Here Be Monsters (from Batman: Gotham Knights #23)
     Catwoman: Selina’s Big Score
     The Monument (from Batman: Gotham Knights #33)
     Date Night (from Solo #1)
     Deja Vu (from Solo #5)
     Crime Convention (from Batman/The Spirit #1)
     Killin’ Time (from Harley Quinn Holiday Special #1)

Batman Ego - Not bad. It felt like I was reading an episode of Batman the Animated Series.

Here Be Monsters (from Batman: Gotham Knights #23) - decent short story. I’d be interested in seeing more of Madame X.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2022, 01:45:08 PM »

Hey, you found a couple more pages in that trade, Jeff. Must be a newer version... or my bad eyes just over looked the two from the Harley and Bat/Spirit issues
 Cheesy
Either way, sweet. Hope they are good!!

Really wanted to be further along with this weeks list...
 Undecided

DCI
Catwoman #39
One-Star Squadron #3
Dark Knights of Steel #4

MU
Maestro #1
Maestro #2
Maestro #3
Maestro #4
Maestro #5

Other
The Dead (mini-series)
- The Dead #1
- The Dead #2
 - The Dead #3
 - The Dead #4
 - The Dead #5

- The Black Flame #1
 - War on Frogs #1
 - Revival
 - War on Frogs #2
 - War on Frogs #4
 - The Black Flame #2
 - The Black Flame #3
 - The Black Flame #4
 - The Black Flame #5
 - The Black Flame #6
 - War on Frogs #3

Dark Knights - Yeah, another good issue. Wanted more of Supergirl, but it is coming soon  Grin

Maestro - Ah yes, I remember this now. Good stuff, now lets see if I continue on with this title this time (no idea why I stopped last time)

The Dead - A great mini expanding the team with a Nick Fury character homage. I really like this guy and hope it makes it through the upcoming "frog war"  Cheesy Oh yeah, plus we got more on the origin/history of Abe Sapien. Hells yeah!!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2022, 01:30:11 PM »

DCI
Catwoman #39
One-Star Squadron #3
Dark Knights of Steel #4

MU
Maestro #1
Maestro #2
Maestro #3
Maestro #4
Maestro #5

Other
The Dead (mini-series)
- The Dead #1
- The Dead #2
 - The Dead #3
 - The Dead #4
 - The Dead #5

- The Black Flame #1
 - War on Frogs #1
 - Revival
 - War on Frogs #2
 - War on Frogs #4
 - The Black Flame #2
 - The Black Flame #3
 - The Black Flame #4
 - The Black Flame #5
 - The Black Flame #6
 - War on Frogs #3

Black Flame (War on Frogs) - Abe is not doing too well, but we have a new leader. For THIS mission at least.  Grin

Maestro - Well written, just wanted to get that out there, but when Hulk makes the Devil-Dogs (or whatever) I lost the joy in the run. I know this is the story of how Hulky ended up being the big bad Maestro, but the sudden "I will make these things to destroy the people" thought really took me out. And he got beat by Herc? What?!?! I understand it is a version of Hulk, but I don't know.
Again, well written, and I will continue, but it was just the sudden mental shift (or at least it was filled with suddenness to me) threw me off in this one.
Plus, it is hard reading about a distraught hero like Hulk becoming... well... who he becomes in this reality. I keep saying "Oh, come on Bruce, don't be like that"
 Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS