HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 07:13:53 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Getting back into comics.  (Read 3446 times)
The Barking Shark
HR Sidekick

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 05:34:12 PM »

PT, my LCS guy also recommended Milkman Murders. I'm have to check it out, I've always liked Joe Casey. I have the early Sleeper stuff, I loved them so I'll have to get the rest.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2022, 12:10:48 PM »

Jimmy! How you doing? Hope you are doing well!

Life has been pretty busy for me the last few years. I've got a daughter that is almost three and is in preschool, we bought our current house in March and had to do the big move plus get our old house ready to be a rental. I think the last few years of life being really hard is what has made me really nostalgic to when I had less responsibilities and did things I really enjoyed like read comics and play video games. Having my own space really helps, I literally couldn't even get to my comics before, they were stuck behind all of my gf's stuff in the basement!

How is life going for you? I'm sure your kids are keeping you busy!

Oh man...I say, I love having kids; I hate child rearing!!!!

They are 6 and 4 years old....and I'll either fight a charging rhino for them, or get ready to toss them into the garbage bin! ARGH

Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2022, 03:11:45 PM »

PT, my LCS guy also recommended Milkman Murders.

Milkman is slightly different, but both are good  Grin Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
The Barking Shark
HR Sidekick

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2022, 05:34:32 PM »

Well, just made my first order for me comics I'm about 15 years...

Vanish #2 Cvr A Stegman (MR)
Punisher War Journal Brother #1
Public Domain #5 (MR)
Miracleman Silver Age #1
Miracleman #0
Love Everlasting #3 Cvr A Charretier
Immortal X-Men #7 Pichelli Miracleman Var
Ice Cream Man #33 Cvr A Morazzo & Ohalloran (MR)
Human Target #8 (of 12) Cvr A Greg Smallwood (MR)
Hulk #9 Asrar Miracleman Var
Gotham City Year One #1 (of 6) Cvr A Phil Hester & Eric Gapstur
Genis-Vell Captain Marvel #4 (of 5) Cheung Miracleman Var
Gcpd The Blue Wall #1 (of 6) Cvr A Reiko Murakami
Detective Comics #1065 Cvr A Evan Cagle
Daredevil #4 Checchetto Miracleman Var
Batman #128 Cvr A Jorge Jimenez
The Barking Shark
HR Sidekick

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2022, 05:36:35 PM »

Jimmy, sounds like you have your hands full. We can barely keep up with one kid!
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2022, 01:23:39 AM »

I'm really enjoying both Detective and Batman right now, and aside from some transition stories, Daredevil has been really good under Zdarsky!

Jimmy T since 2001
The Barking Shark
HR Sidekick

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2023, 11:24:04 PM »

Hey guys, so after over a year of reading comics again I feel like I've figured out which books, publishers, and creators I like. Thought I'd share....

I love me some Image comics. They by far have have the best books. Love Everlasting, Public Domain, Killadelphia, Newburn, That Texas Blood, Enfield Gang Massacre, Swan Songs, Ice Cream Man, Immortal Sergeant, Seasons Have Teeth.... all fantastic!

DC has some decent stuff, I tried a lot of their superhero books like Nightwing, Titans, Superman, Worlds Finest, Action Comics.... but I just got bored with them after a few issues.  I guess I just don't like most superhero books and writers like Tom Taylor, Mark Waid, and Joshua Williamson.

The DC books that I think have been great are Danger Street, The Vigil, Unstoppable Doom Patrol, Human Target, Poison Ivy, Batman, Detective Comics, GCPD: Blue Wall, and Gotham City: Year One

Marvel isn't the best. I am digging Blade, Incredible Hulk, Thor, Daredevil, Punisher, and The X-Cellent.

The writers that I really like are Dan Watters, Tom King, Jeff Lemire, Chip Zadarsky, Ram V. and W. Maxwell Prince.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2023, 01:09:35 PM »

Hey, Hey, Hey... look who it be  Grin

First off, yes, Marvel is... not good overall currently. Yuk, but I am hopeful for the new #1's

I want to try Love Everlasting as I do like the writer.
I have Killadelphia on my Hoopla list to read (at some point)
We do love Newburn and That Texas Blood here (and look forward to reading Enfield Gang soon)
Ice-Cream Man is crazy and something I need to get back to but waiting for Swan Songs to be collected
Immortal Sergeant I flipped through but didn't pull me in (maybe I missed something?)

Human Target was amazing, I'm enjoying the Vigil (thanks to Jeff) and with Danger Street I am, once again, waiting for it to be collected
 Grin

Lot more thoughts (and opinions  Cheesy) but I have to go... I'll be back...  at some point
 Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
The Barking Shark
HR Sidekick

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2023, 03:04:18 PM »

Perry, Love Everlasting is probably my favorite book right now. It's really fantastic. Immortal Sergeant takes a couple of  issues to get going, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

A couple others books that I didn't mention that I'm liking are Kaya, Animal Castle, Antarctica, and Void Rivals.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2023, 10:49:25 PM »

You've hit a lot of my favorites as well.  Jeff Lemire and Tom King are my favorite writers.

I liked Newburn and That Texas Blood is a favorite (haven't started Enfeild Gang yet but will be once it's collected).
Human Target was great and if you haven't checked out Super-girl Woman of Tomorrow by King then I highly recommend you read it.  Excellent book.  Danger Street I'm loving too.
Vigil is also one that's been a nice surprise.  I'm also digging the Unstoppable Doom Patrol.

Not much Marvel I'm liking right now.  I like some of the X-Men stuff but there's too many titles.  Immortal X-Men is the best of the X-books.

There's a comic by Ablaze Publishing called Traveling to Mars that you might like.  I read it on Hoopla so I'm a little behind on it.  It's got a lot of character development in it.

Oh and I like James Tinion IV's stuff too.  Void Rivals is on my list to get to soon as well.  Something is Killing the Children is excellent.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 10:51:18 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
The Barking Shark
HR Sidekick

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2023, 12:49:50 AM »

Thanks for the recommendations, Jeff. I like Tynion, as well. I've been reading Wordtr33 and Sandman Presents: Nightmare  Country: Glass House.

I'm glad you like King. A lot of people online hate his stuff, I don't get it. Oh well,  they probably like the stuff that I consider junk.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2023, 04:15:22 PM »

Sharky,

I'm going to use your likes to branch out into 'other' comics to read, because I almost never do that on my own unless someone else recommends them! I love to read them when I'm told! Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
The Barking Shark
HR Sidekick

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2023, 11:39:43 PM »

Jimmy T! Let me know what you try. Love Everlasting and Seasons Have Teeth.... can't go wrong with those!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 12:57:58 AM by The Barking Shark » Logged
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2023, 09:13:22 PM »

Sharky!

I really liked The Seasons have Teeth. Just...just good reading!

I didnt' care much for Love Everlasting, or rather, I wanted more of the mystery reveal through the 1st six issues than what we got. I'll look for the second trade if it grabs me more.

Jimmy T since 2001
The Barking Shark
HR Sidekick

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2023, 12:59:49 AM »

Jimmy, glad you liked Teeth! I think the second arc on Everlasting is better,  I hope you keep reading it!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS