HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:07:27 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, August, 1, 2022  (Read 2100 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: August 01, 2022, 11:47:23 AM »

New week and new month. What's on your reading list this week?

Batman #126
Batman Killing Time #6... this has been a really fun mini! Selina rocks!
Dark Crisis #3
Flashpoint #4
Multversity Teen Justice #3

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 12:33:41 PM »

Decided to not include the older DC stuff this week. I have it on my tablet so I can remember where I am... whenever I get back in the mood for them
Also found both volumes of the newest Shadowman run, but as I have the first 4, I am going to reread the first few and then just borrow volume 2 from Hoopla to finish it off.
Giving Action Comics another chance, but I honestly think, with my feelings, I'm not the best judge of the writing. Probably not giving it a fair assessment (if I end up not liking it) as I just don't enjoy the Warworld/Mongul subject matter at all. Never have. Much less my usual feelings on Supes.  Grin Still, I am keeping my hopes high going in but I think I would handle it better if this story was just a 4 issue arc. However, this storyline looks like it goes on for awhile
 Undecided

DCI
Nice House on the Lake #5
Nice House on the Lake #6
Human Target #4
Action Comics #1039

MU
Amazing Spider-Man #1 (2022)
Punisher #2
Hulk: Grand Design #1
Thor #24
Alien #11
Silver Surfer #3 (Jimmy said it's good, so I am trying again)
Silver Surfer #4 (Not gonna lie, having Jack on the cover also helped my decision to try these issues  Cheesy)

Other
Book of Shadows #1
Shadowman #1 (2021)
Shadowman #2 (2021)
Shadowman #3 (2021)
Shadowman #4 (2021)
Shadowman v2 (collects issues 5-8)
The Goddamned (collecting issues 1-5)
B.P.R.D Plague of Frogs v1 Omnibus (remaining issues)
- Plague of Frogs issues 1-5

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 04:01:28 PM »

Quite a bit of Marvel & DC this week.  I can do it!

Marvel Unlimited
Hulk: Grand Design - Madness #1
Punisher #2
Sabertooth #3
Silver Surfer Rebirth #4
Thor #24

DC Universe Infinite
The Flash 778      
Human Target 4      
Action Comics 1039      
Batman/Catwoman Special 1      
Justice League 71 - JL Dark only

ComiXology Unlimited
Newburn #8

Hoopla
The Paybacks TPB (Collects issue #1-4)
Supergirl, Woman of Tomorrow #8

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 12:37:09 PM »

DCI
Human Target #4
Action Comics #1039
Superman & Robin Special #1 - Added

MU
Amazing Spider-Man #1
Punisher #2

Thor #24
Alien #11
Silver Surfer #3
Silver Surfer #4

Other
Book of Shadows #1
Shadowman #1 (2021)
Shadowman #2 (2021)
Shadowman #3 (2021)
Shadowman #4 (2021)

Amazing Spidey - Decent enough start though a tad confusing for me, a guy that hasn't check in on Peter in awhile. But if this is all part of the story and if the end is any indication of how crazy this will go, then sure, I'm here for the ride.

Punisher - After the first issue's shocking reveal telling us why Frank is even dealing with the Hand, this issue fleshes it out a little further, going deeper into the past. Not sure I am a fan of that (but maybe I will be).

Thor - Big issue, lots of stories, but I like how they return to the main one with the close of the book after the Ewing story. That was a nice touch to remind us Thor was reading at the time. Also liked Thor letting Loki take the arrow shot and what came from it  Smiley and of course the ending has me very much intrigued. Where is Cates going with this? I don't know but can't wait to see.
Oh for the other stories...
while I loved seeing The Recorder and the stupid Thor armor from the mid/late 90's in the third story, and while I really enjoy both Dan Jurgens and Klaus Janson's art, I must say that I do not like Klaus Jonson inking Dan Jurgens art  Undecided
Also liked seeing JMS return to writing Thor with the fourth story (I liked his original run as well) but mainly found joy with his story by gazing upon Olivier Coipel's art  Smiley
The fifth and final Loki story by Al Ewing did nothing for me but...
... going back to that second story, the Simonson story, that was pure Simonson crazy greatness  Grin

Alien - Not sure why I still enjoy this property, but with Phillip Kennedy Johnson writing and Salvador Larroca pushing that art it damn sure helps me stay with it  Grin Nice stuff

Silver Surfer - SHIT!
Got all excited about seeing Jack of Hearts, so much so I added the issue I missed from last month, and the dude is wiped out in two pages  Angry Angry Oh, I did like the ATTEMPT at the four Surfers, trying to make them look like Kirby, Buscema, Moebius and Allred drawn Surfers. But I think, other than the eyes and the slightly different coloring, they failed pretty hard on that. I like Lim's stuff, but he is obvious not the best at "copy style art". Wasn't total shit, but wasn't good enough to pull it off. That's okay, I still like his art. Oh, and the bad guy? Wow, talk about a call back... nice.  Grin
And hey, there is only one more issue to go so I am now finishing this off. Thanks Jimmy, I can appreciate this more than I did at first Cheesy
Oh yeah, I also didn't know that Marz was writing this. I had thought it was... I don't remember now  Cheesy, but yeah, congrats to Ron for getting back to the big two. Haven't seen his name at Marvel or DC for a long time. Since before GrossGen I think (though I could be totally, 100% wrong and he has been back for 15 years  Cheesy Cheesy). I know he was doing some Dynamite stuff and even did a couple Zenoscope books recently (I saw his name on some solicit not too long ago), but yeah, congrats... I think
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 09:44:39 PM »

DCI
Human Target #4
Action Comics #1039
Superman & Robin Special #1

MU
Amazing Spider-Man #1
Punisher #2

Thor #24
Alien #11
Silver Surfer #3
Silver Surfer #4

Other
Book of Shadows #1
Shadowman #1 (2021)
Shadowman #2 (2021)
Shadowman #3 (2021)
Shadowman #4 (2021)

Hulk Grand Design - Ha, man do I want to go download all kinds of Hulk arcs now  Grin While this was probably the worst of the "Grand Design" series so far... edit wise at least, I still appreciate it for what it is and love the back pages of all three of these that explain what issues and stories are involved within the image/reference. Fun stuff and a welcome addition to go along with the X-Men and my beloved FF issues of the same style/format. Which property will be next, if any... Spidey? Cap? The Avengers? Hoping for all of the above personally, plus more!!!
 Cheesy

Shadowman - I am just starting the v2 trade right now, so about 3 more issues of the 8 issue series left, but as much as I enjoyed the look of the first four issues, drawn by Jon Davis-Hunt, I am really digging this next artist, Pedro Andreo, even more. He was pretty good the last time I saw him, in Bloodshot, but he has become mroe interesting to me now. A combination of the aforementioned Jon Davis-Hunt but now with a heavier David Baldeon influence, his art pops! Looks almost like cartoon cell animation at times. Of course the coloring by Jordie Bellaire adds to that look. The story has gotten better too, now that I get what is going on
 Cheesy
Is it a recommend? No, but I enjoy it still

Plague of Frogs - Great stuff. This last one was one of my favorites of the BPRD stories that I have read. Really enjoyed this AND the way they not only told us Abe Sapien's origin, but also the way they worked it in to be so interesting and keep the mystery. I mean I know now what his origin is, but I am still lost (in the good way) as to the how and what. Really cool. So much so that earlier, while I was feeling bogged down by how huge this book was, I had somewhat decided I wasn't going to add the second omnibus, but after reading this last story... I don't think it will be long before I dive back into to that one. Another large ass read
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 10:51:31 PM »

I'll pick up that Hulk Grand Design if you liked it that much.

After all, I picked up that Wolverine because Jeff liked it so much-and I did too!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 11:17:14 PM »

I'll pick up that Hulk Grand Design if you liked it that much.

Smiley Well I liked it for being what it was. If you didn't enjoy the other Grand Design issue, you will not like this one  Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 04:57:26 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
ADD: The Amazing Spider-Man #1
Punisher #2
Sabertooth #3
Silver Surfer Rebirth #4
Thor #24

DC Universe Infinite
The Flash 778      
Human Target 4      
Action Comics 1039      

ComiXology Unlimited
Newburn #8

Hoopla

Newburn #8 - Excellent end to this arc. Sooooo glad this is coming back in the fall with a new story arc.  This is a good book and this issue had some great Newburn moments in it!

The Paybacks TPB (Collects issues # 1-8) - Great book!  Love that it’s in the Buzzkill universe and some of the minor characters from that book show up here. Lots of come-uppings to be had.  It’s funny,  dramatic, violent, and flooded with twists and turns.  I’m hoping we get more of this team someday.

Supergirl, Woman of Tomorrow #8 - Yeah.  That was awesome.  Absolutely the BEST series I’ve read this year.  I truly believe this will remain in my top 10 of all time.  I enjoyed it that much.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 03:41:34 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
The Amazing Spider-Man #1
Punisher #2

Sabertooth #3
Silver Surfer Rebirth #4
Thor #24

DC Universe Infinite
The Flash 778      
Human Target 4      
Action Comics 1039      

ComiXology Unlimited
Newburn #8

Hoopla

The Amazing Spider-Man #1 - Now this is what I was looking for when I said I was in the mood for some good Spider-Man.  Zeb Wells is starting things off with a bang and some pretty good holy cow moments.  So much so that JRJR’s art didn’t even bother me!

Hulk: Grand Design - Madness #1 - That was fun. Just like all of these Grand Design books, a thrilling synopsis of 60 years of Hulk comics.

Punisher #2 - I can’t decide if I like this or not.  We’ll, actually I like it. It’s good. But I’m not sure I like Frank Castle being who this story is about.  Definitely need to read more.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 03:16:29 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Punisher #2

Sabertooth #3
Silver Surfer Rebirth #4
Thor #24

DC Universe Infinite
The Flash 778      
Human Target 4      
Action Comics 1039   

ComiXology Unlimited
Newburn #8

Hoopla

The Flash 778 - I think my only complaint is the dialogue written for these characters. The cast is great. The villains are great. The story is great. The art is good.  But the dialogue is a bit juvenile.     Still, I’ll keep getting this because 4 out of 5 wins.

Human Target 4 - I can’t help but wonder if I’ve already solved this case.  Could King be this obvious? History tells me there’s still I twist I haven’t seen coming.

Action Comics 1039 - A good issue.  This is a little reminiscent of Planet Hulk.  Or at least just similar.  But I am enjoying it. The team is slowly moving towards a break out and it’s fun watching the little moves that will get us there.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 08:42:30 PM »

Human Target 4 - I can’t help but wonder if I’ve already solved this case.  Could King be this obvious?

Sadly, it almost has to be yeah? Hope not, but... yeah, probably

Been a crazy week, of course, but got a little more in...

DCI
Human Target #4
Action Comics #1039

MU
Amazing Spider-Man #1
Punisher #2

Thor #24
Alien #11
Silver Surfer #3
Silver Surfer #4

Other
Book of Shadows #1
Shadowman #1 (2021)
Shadowman #2 (2021)
Shadowman #3 (2021)
Shadowman #4 (2021)

Shadowman - A decent wrap up to a decent story. Not a must read by any means, but has me somewhat excited for this new mini hitting now.

The Goddamned - A decent enough book. I will add vol 2 soon. I enjoyed it, but certainly not for everyone

Human Target - I said it a lot on Polo, but damn I love this book. Smallwood is knocking it out of the F'n park with the art and coloring here. King is making me fall in love with a character I never cared one way or another for, so... yeah, good on him for that. However... he better fucking not...
 Angry

Superman and Robin - Can't believe no-one else, so far, has read this updated Super Sons story. I liked it. A lot, but makes me miss the better days still
 Cry

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 12:42:45 PM »

Couple more down
Only two more to go?
Been trying to hold off on those last two issues of House, waiting for the next issues release to be closer, but don't think Imma gonna make it  Cheesy

Oh hell, let's add to the list
 Roll Eyes
(Edited to get the correct reading order on the BPRD omni. Holy shit what a cluster. Hahaha)

DCI
Human Target #4
Action Comics #1039

MU
Amazing Spider-Man #1
Punisher #2

Thor #24
Alien #11
Silver Surfer #3
Silver Surfer #4

Other
Book of Shadows #1
Shadowman #1 (2021)
Shadowman #2 (2021)
Shadowman #3 (2021)
Shadowman #4 (2021)

B.P.R.D Plague of Frogs v2 Omnibus *containing re-ordered issues for "better reading"-
Born Again (one-shot)
The Dead (mini-series)
 - The Dead #1
 - The Dead #2
 - The Dead #3
 - The Dead #4
 - The Dead #5
War on Frogs and Black Flame (mini-series)
 - The Black Flame #1 (retitled War on Frogs Chapter 1)
 - War on Frogs #1 (retitled War on Frogs  Chapter 2)
 - Revival (retitled War on Frogs Chapter 3)
 - War on Frogs #2 (retitled War on Frogs Chapter 4)
 - War on Frogs #4 (retitled War on Frogs Chapter 5)
 - The Black Flame #2 (retitled The Black Flame Chapter 1)
 - The Black Flame #3 (retitled The Black Flame Chapter 2)
 - The Black Flame #4 (retitled The Black Flame Chapter 3)
 - The Black Flame #5 (retitled The Black Flame Chapter 4)
 - The Black Flame #6 (retitled The Black Flame Chapter 5)
 - War on Frogs #3 (retitled The Black Flame Epilogue)

Shocked Roll Eyes

Book of Shadows - I do think this will be good, or at lest "fine", but I made the mistake of reading too much Shadowman back to back I think  Undecided. Gonna wait for the trade to give me some time away from the Bayou Baddies as I think that will help my enjoyment here
 Smiley

Action Comics - Better than last month. Weird thing was I started to see nothing but Planet Hulk when I read this issue (which is basically just a Warworld homage/rip story at its heart Grin) and maybe it was the art style or the first few pages reminding me of it. There is more going on here though, and that is a good thing. This is well written and drawn and I will give the next issue a go, but honestly don't see me staying on for the entire thing as I can't seem find a "connection" to anyone here. They are just not hitting for me. And of course my dislike for the Warworld/ Mongul stuff isn't helping. But this was better so maybe the next issue will be as well? Have to see
 Smiley
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 01:07:00 PM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 11:29:43 AM »

Damn, now the long wait for issue #7 of House
 Cry

DCI

Human Target #4
Action Comics #1039

MU
Amazing Spider-Man #1
Punisher #2

Thor #24
Alien #11
Silver Surfer #3
Silver Surfer #4

Other
Book of Shadows #1
Shadowman #1 (2021)
Shadowman #2 (2021)
Shadowman #3 (2021)
Shadowman #4 (2021)

B.P.R.D Plague of Frogs v2 Omnibus *containing re-ordered issues for "better reading"-
Born Again (one-shot)
The Dead (mini-series)
 - The Dead #1
 - The Dead #2
 - The Dead #3
 - The Dead #4
 - The Dead #5
War on Frogs and Black Flame (mini-series)
 - The Black Flame #1 (retitled War on Frogs Chapter 1)
 - War on Frogs #1 (retitled War on Frogs  Chapter 2)
 - Revival (retitled War on Frogs Chapter 3)
 - War on Frogs #2 (retitled War on Frogs Chapter 4)
 - War on Frogs #4 (retitled War on Frogs Chapter 5)
 - The Black Flame #2 (retitled The Black Flame Chapter 1)
 - The Black Flame #3 (retitled The Black Flame Chapter 2)
 - The Black Flame #4 (retitled The Black Flame Chapter 3)
 - The Black Flame #5 (retitled The Black Flame Chapter 4)
 - The Black Flame #6 (retitled The Black Flame Chapter 5)
 - War on Frogs #3 (retitled The Black Flame Epilogue)

Born Again - The crew find a skeleton of a big ass creature and it tries to kill them  Grin Oh, and Abe finds a... I have no idea... some spiked shaving foam brush looking thing
 Cheesy

Nice House on the Lake - Ahhh, what a turn. I forgot what had happened at the end of issue #4 so it was nice to get back to that. Also, wow, did not see that coming! Really liking
the totems and what they could mean as well as this new guy that was helping the entire time
But man, this is why I waited to read this... I didn't want to have to wait for the next one... now I have to wait. ARRRHHHH
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 01:41:13 PM »

I’ve been out of town visiting relatives so I might not finish the list.  But I did get a few more under the belt.

Marvel Unlimited
Punisher #2

Sabertooth #3
Silver Surfer Rebirth #4

Thor #24

DC Universe Infinite
The Flash 778      
Human Target 4      
Action Comics 1039   

ComiXology Unlimited
Newburn #8

Hoopla

Sabertooth #3 - Some parts interesting. This was better than last issue but I’m ready for it to wrap up.

Silver Surfer Rebirth #4 - Had to check out the Jack of Hearts appearance. Looks like this takes place before current issues of She Hulk.  Big finale coming next issue I believe.

Justice League 71 - JL Dark story only - an epilogue story.  Just a wrap up of recent events.  

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 05:14:11 PM »

Silver Surfer Rebirth #4 - Had to check out the Jack of Hearts appearance.

All four panels of it  Undecided
Cheesy

Looks like this takes place before current issues of She Hulk.

I believe some of these "older writer" titles that Marvel has been pushing out (like this and X-Men Legacy) are all canon (supposedly), but are still set in the 90's. Or at least I read it as a 90's story.
 Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS