HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:41:22 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, July 25, 2022  (Read 1510 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 25, 2022, 04:04:16 AM »

Not many new releases this week so I’m going to catch up on some old stuff!

Marvel Unlimited
Wolverine #20
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #228
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #229
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #230
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #231

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing #88
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #7
L.E.G.I.O.N. #19
L.E.G.I.O.N. #20
L.E.G.I.O.N. #21
L.E.G.I.O.N. #22

Hoopla
Promethia Book One
The Paybacks TPB (Collects issue #1-4)

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 12:29:00 PM »

Like Jeff, this is also small week for me, so there is a chance for me to get through that damn BPRD this week  Grin Of course that depends on what Hoopla drops Wednesday
 Wink

DCI
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Legion of Super-Heroes (1989) #4
Legion of Super-Heroes (1989) #5
Nice House on the Lake #5
Nice House on the Lake #6
Nightwing #88

MU
Hulk #6
Doctor Strange: Nexus of Nightmares (One-Shot)
Captain America #0

Other
B.P.R.D Plague of Frogs v1 (collects Hollow Earth 1-3, various shorts and one-shots and Plague of Frogs 1-5)
The Dark Room OGN

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 07:21:11 PM »

Angry
Jeff got me again. Downloaded Wolverine. This is the last time I am giving Percy a shot though.

Grin

Also figured I would break down the BPRD Omni into its stories/issues so maybe I can stop feeling like I'm not making ANY progress
 Grin

DCI
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Nightwing #88

MU
Hulk #6
Captain America #0
Wolverine #20

Other
The Dark Room OGN
B.P.R.D Plague of Frogs v1 (stories remaining)
- Night Train
- There's Something Under My Bed
- Another Day at the Office
- Plague of Frogs issues 1-5

Doctor Strange - This was fine, an older tale, but I really wanted Todd Nauck to be the artists. He did the cover and is truly the main reason I downloaded the damn thing
 Cheesy

Captain America - Okay, first off Jimmy was right, yes this was not in anyway shape or form an overly interesting new approach, but at the same time I dug it. Anytime Cap can face one of his classic enemies I am happy. Jimmy was also right about the art, this is crazy cool. It is like 85% Ariel Olivetti, 10% Esad Ribic and yes, as is usually the case with "realistic painted art", about 5% Alex Roth  Grin
I was only planning on getting the Steve Cap comic: Sentinel of Liberty (written by Hero Realm favorite "Kang the Conquer" scribes and life long best buds: Lanzing and Kelly... with art that appears to be similar to Steve Epting if the preview splash is any idication), but now... after seeing the art by R.B. Silva for the Sam Cap comic: Symbol of Truth, I have to at least try that one as well.

B.P.R.D Plague of Frogs v1 (stories completed)
- Hollow Earth issues 1-3 - The BPRD guys, now without Hellboy, seek out Elizabeth. Enjoyed this
- Lobster Johnson: The Killer in My Skull - First Lobster Johnson. This was pure pulp magic!!! Loved it
- Abe Sapien versus Science - Roger's Return Smiley I do love that homunculus  Grin
- Abe Sapien: Drums of the Dead - Meh, was okay. Hope to see the guy that can hear the dead again soon
- Soul of Venice - Hey, weak story with good art by Jeff's favorite; Michael Avon Oeming  Cheesy
- Dark Waters - about a town that finds witches long buried in a pond. Another meh, but art looked like Tyler Crook

« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 09:19:39 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 02:58:47 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Wolverine #20

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing #88
L.E.G.I.O.N. #19
L.E.G.I.O.N. #20
L.E.G.I.O.N. #21
L.E.G.I.O.N. #22

Hoopla
Promethia Book One

Wolverine #20 - Sweet! I really liked this issue.  A fun team up with Deadpool and a cool cliffhanger.

Uncanny X-Men (1987) #228 - Nice one shot featuring Dazzler and Wolverine. A brief repose before the next chapter in the lives of the X-Men.

Uncanny X-Men (1987) #229 - At last the X-Men arrive in Australia! And after defeating the Reavers start their new chapter in the Outback! Plus the Siege Perilous is introduced.  A device that come to have great importance in the near future!

Uncanny X-Men (1987) #230 - Ahhh. Another good one and done story.  And a nice start to the X-Men’s new life.  Man I miss these simpler days for my mutants.

Uncanny X-Men (1987) #231 - One more one shot as Colossus goes solo to save Magic and her friends the New Mutants! I didn’t care much for the Limbo stories back when this came out but since Magic has become one of my favorite X-Men, this was fun seeing the beginnings of her character.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 10:24:52 AM »

Knocked out a few more around 1 AM today.

DCI
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Nightwing #88

MU
Hulk #6
Captain America #0
Wolverine #20

Other
The Dark Room OGN
B.P.R.D Plague of Frogs v1 -collecting issues-
- Hollow Earth issues 1-3
- Lobster Johnson: The Killer in My Skull
- Abe Sapien versus Science
- Abe Sapien: Drums of the Dead
- Soul of Venice
- Dark Waters
- Night Train

Supergirl - This book continues to shine. This issue contains a sentence that I have never read in a comic before, nor had I ever thought to combine the words to form such a result. That, in itself a small example of why I love this book so much, still provides all I need to have my thoughts on this title justified.  Grin When young Ruthye says
"... you ever lied to a horse before?"
... I was even further convinced of the greatness that is this title
 Smiley

Nightwing - Oh... Nice. Hahaha, sorry, but every other thing I can say about this issue would be put under a "spoiler tag" so let me just say that while this was not really that great of an issue, it really was that great of an issue
 Wink

Wolverine - This was better than the last issue... well, issues of Wolverine that I had tried and perhaps Deadpool was a reason for that? But I still just do not like Percy's writing. I honestly can't put my finger on it. It isn't "bad" like Bendis is now bad, it doesn't seem to be amateurish by any means, but my mind (what's left of it  Cheesy) can not find a way to enjoy what Percy puts on the page. Structure, pacing, dialog... all of that just bugs me. The first couple of pages with
Wolverine on a bike... WEARING a helmet no less (and yes I know NY is a helmet law state, but this is Logan!!!)
started bad for me (honestly the panel layout didn't help  Undecided... probably not Percy's fault, that) and while it did get less... like a Percy issue, it still didn't win me over enough to try the next issue. I like Percy's ideas, I like where he wants to take us, but I don't like how he drives to get me there.  Sad
I truly wish I did
 Sad

B.P.R.D Plague of Frogs v1 -just completed-
- Night Train - An enjoyable Lobster Johnson ghost story by Geoff Johns and Scott Kolins
- There's Something Under My Bed - A fun take on Monsters Inc. Kinda  Grin
- Another Day at the Office - A zombie story. Bah

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 04:00:33 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Wolverine #20

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing #88
L.E.G.I.O.N. #19
L.E.G.I.O.N. #20
L.E.G.I.O.N. #21
L.E.G.I.O.N. #22

Hoopla
Promethia Book One

Nightwing #88 - Oh yeah.  No way I wasn't going to like this issue.  Rodney - you need to pick this issue up if you haven't already read it!

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #7 - GREAT ISSUE.  And now that I got to look at Perry's spoiler - I agree!!   Smiley

L.E.G.I.O.N. #19-22 - All four issues were awesome! Lots of dangling plots wrap up in these and the promise of more answers are around the corner as we move into 1991.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 12:02:55 PM »

Yesterday wasn't what I would call a good day, but I was able to get one thing read last night that WAS so good I have to update the list here

DCI
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Nightwing #88

MU
Hulk #6
Captain America #0
Wolverine #20

Other
The Dark Room OGN
- Soul of Venice
- Dark Waters
- Night Train

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow v1 (collects issues 1-8)

Supergirl - So I just read issue #7 of this title this week so I was thinking I had at least a month to wait before I could get to the final issue, but then Hoopla steps up and drops the entire mini in one easy to read trade  Grin
I used one of my remaining monthly borrows and immediately read the last issue and let me tell ya folks, as good as this has been, it finishes even better. A great ending which includes an amazing call back and well, I can't discuss too much here, but yeah, get on it!!!!
10 outta 10 examples of the word "Super"
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 07:30:43 PM by Perry » Logged

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 01:13:19 PM »

DC Mech #1.... Marvel did it first but I'm curous.
Radiant Black #16
Radiant Red #5...end of the mini-series
Rogue Sun #6
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 11:53:58 AM »

DCI
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Nightwing #88

MU
Hulk #6
Captain America #0
Wolverine #20

Other
The Dark Room OGN
- Soul of Venice
- Dark Waters
- Night Train

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow v1 (collects issues 1-8)

Hulk - I love the look of this book. It is Invincible all over again for sure Grin  This issue also further expanded the "over-the-top" flare that both this writer and artist are known for, but I also have to admit getting kind of tired of this arc and happy this one is over. Not that it was bad, but I wish maybe it would have only been 5 issue? Maybe? Either way I am exited for the next mini-event with Thor: Banner War
6 outta 10 space jumps

The Dark Room - A book that hit me in many different ways. I loved it at first, then grew somewhat bored for a few pages (keeping in mind it literally took me four days to read just four pages of this, and two of those pages I had to read over and over as I kept forgetting what had happened before I fell asleep Cheesy) but then it came back to being pretty good and interesting... once I was able to read more in one sitting  Grin I would call this a fantasy/horror/humor title with a main point being a hunt for a cursed camera. A camera that a very interesting person wants for a very interesting idea and... well I won't go further than that (other than to say I loved the "dark room" that is in this book!!!!) and I hope Duggan gets a chance to continue this with a volume 2 of this OGN title (a format I hope all comics go towards soon). Over all a good book with some cool character designs and a pretty cool ending/only the beginning.  Smiley
7 outta 10 Vampires and Elves and... a skeleton in a tracksuit? Oh my!
 Grin

EDIT - adding the cover of Dark Room because... crazy looking yeah?
 Grin Grin

« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 01:08:05 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2022, 01:52:43 PM »

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Captain Marvel 37-just meh. Agreed w/Jeff; I'll read the next issue, but might not care
Immortal X-men 1 - what the what?!? AWESOME!
Ghost Rider 2 - I really dig this early take and press of the title
Silver Surfer Rebirth 3 - Nostalgia rules when it's met well!! Cheesy
Spider-woman 21 - Series finale. I only read the first 11. I came on to see how it 'all wrapped up.' Damned enjoyable! Really funny! Even the sound affects were drawn funny! Nice work! But something...didn't click for me in the middle...
Hulk 6 - I wonder what Hulk's words to Banner will truly mean, later
Amazing Spider-man 93 - Ah. Okay. I see
X-men Red 1 - I say I really enjoyed reading the title, but I couldn't tell you what it's about or what it means in the slightest.
Moon Knight 10 - Angry house! Angry knight! Great for the result!
Deadpool Bad Blood 1 - Rob Liefeld is terrible LOL and I can't look away! I"m sadistic!!!
Devil's Reign 6 - We've seen this avenue slightly already happen before...I think 2, 3 times I can remember? We'll see how it goes this time around.
She-Hulk 3 - I like a story and a comic that is able to take it's time with it's story when it wants to. Very cool here.
X-men 10 - Again, a story I liked but can't tell you what's truly happening and why
Captain America 0 - So very pretty, so very jingoistic without meat, but a really beautiful read makes it good for me

DC INFINITE
I've now read Superboy, original series with Kon-El from, like, 38 through 75 in the last 3 weeks. Not a great period here, even with Karl Kesel and Tom Grummett doing a second time around on the book. TG has a different inker, and I don't feel drawn to it.
Joker 11 - getting back to the really good stuff!
Robin & Batman 3 - this didn't soar as much for me. I really liked it! But I was really amped, or at least amped myself up that this ending was going to FLOOR ME!!! It didn't, but it was really good! I was in the wrong head space. Very good!
Detective 1046-1047 - I like this Shadow of the Bat arc starting
Dark Knights of Steel 3 - Is this only 12 issues? That's too bad, I want to read this a long time!
Superman Son of Kal-El 6 - still fine reading this title
Suicide Squad 11 - I'm getting Squad tired. Looking forward to when this all ends
Justice League Incarnate 3 - Big bombastic DC!
Batman 119 - Lex and Bruce. Nuff said
Human Target 3 - So very, very cool and good!
Task Force Z 3 - Damn, this is deadly and hard hitting. Oof.
Superman '78 5 - I'm such a sucker for this, but it feels EXACTLY like one of the movies!!
Flash 777 - the artist puts his eyes way to close together. Bugs me a lot. I do like Wally's 'voice'
Robin 9 - Nicely done, Boy Wonder. What an ending surprise!
Deathstroke 4 - I'm still on the title, particulary with the reveal. Bring it.
Aquaman the Becoming 4 - definitely an improved family tale. Been really digging the last 2 issues
Aquaman/Green Arrow Deep Target 3 - so goofy
Action Comics 1038 - Johnson, make this story awesome!
Batman Catwoman 9 - there's a part where I'm really looking forward to this just being over....Great last page though

HOOPLA
Supergirl, Woman of Tomorrow 8
Black Science Premiere trade 1
Once and Future 26 & 27
Saga 60
Jupiter's Legacy vol 5
Batman Earth 1 vol 3

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2022, 06:22:08 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Wolverine #20

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing #88
L.E.G.I.O.N. #19
L.E.G.I.O.N. #20
L.E.G.I.O.N. #21
L.E.G.I.O.N. #22

Hoopla
Promethia Book One
ADD: Supergirl, Woman of Tomorrow #8

Promethia Book One - Made it through 3 and a half issues and then quit.  Alan Moore’s weird wordiness just lost me.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2022, 08:40:07 PM »

Promethia Book One - Made it through 3 and a half issues and then quit.  Alan Moore’s weird wordiness just lost me.

Yeah, it is very... well... it's an overly deep read that not only do you have to be in the mood for, you almost need an annotated edition to get all the subject matter and context properly. Wasn't for me either. Art sure is pretty though

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS