HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:56:46 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, July 18, 2022  (Read 1292 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 18, 2022, 11:19:27 AM »

Very small week for me, only two Marvel and EDIT - TWO DC , so there is no reason I can't get this weeks new stuff done, especially when I read the new Marvel last night Grin
(The older stuff is more hit or miss with my time, more a place holder for me, reading when I want to more than I expect to get to them)

DCI
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Legion of Super-Heroes (1989) #4
Legion of Super-Heroes (1989) #5
Nice House on the Lake #5
Nice House on the Lake #6
Robin and Batman #3
Joker #11

MU
Eternals #11
X-Men ’92: House of XCII #1

Other
Buzzkill (collects issues 1-4)
B.P.R.D Vampires (collects issues 1-5)
B.P.R.D Vampires (collects issues 1-5)- Yes, twice as I added it from two seperate accounts, wasting one of my "borrows" for the week
 Angry
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Eternals - I like this title as it adds humor to the mix, but this issue was a little to much of a good thing. Art was very reminiscent of Mark Texeira, but not as good and distracting at times, which didn't help. All that said, this issue is more set-up for the coming conflict. I believe this title will be ending with next months issue #12 as we head into A.X.E
I don't see Eternals getting a book after that event. Which is fine. I enjoyed this one enough to last me
 Grin

X-Men 92 - Wow this had me confused at first. Those first couple of panels had my mind stuttering  Grin I had no idea what this issue was going to be about, other than it was an homage story for the 90's cartoon era X-Men, but didn't expect this. Yeah, I expected a story similar to what we've been getting with other 90's "look back" titles like Silver Surfer and the X-Men Legends stuff, but more 90's cartoon focused. The last thing I expected was
a recap to the current X-Men storyline done in the cartoon style (even though it says it in the title  Grin) This literally is a super-fast synopsis of the Hickman story, told in a more youth friendly manner. And while it does include the reincarnation of a mutant, one that has gone through many lives so knows where the X-Men failed in the past, a mutant kept hidden from the others, this time the one reliving her life is
Boom-Boom.
Yes, a spoiler in a spoiler issue!!!  Grin
This was quick, it was easy, but not what I expected nor wanted, but...
 yeah, I ended up liking it. Once I got what the hell was going on
 Grin
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 01:08:04 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 12:50:00 PM »

Lighter week for me too.

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men #10
Eternals #11
Elektra #100

DC Universe Infinite       
Robin & Batman #3         
The Joker #11

Hoopla
Basilisk #9
Promethia Book One

Substack
3 Worlds / 3 Moons - by Johnathon Hickman
     Sisterhood
     Birth
     Arena

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 01:05:52 PM »

DC Universe Infinite       
Robin & Batman #3         
The Joker #11

Crap, I must've been on the wrong week. I totally overlooked those

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 08:51:20 AM »

Just a couple from last night/this morning

DCI
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Robin and Batman #3
Joker #11

MU
Eternals #11

Other
B.P.R.D Plague of Frogs v1 (collects Hollow Earth 1-3, various shorts and one-shots and Plague of Frogs 1-5) - ADDED

Joker - Ahh, the return of where we were. A return to the main story. Kinda glossed over where we left off (yeah?), but still, at least this is back on track again.

Buzzkill - This one... honestly... was somewhat disappointing. Almost seemed like a one-shot's worth of story stretched to a four issue mini. Wasn't horrible, even though Geoff Shaw's art was overly sketchy (he does get better in later collaborations with Cates  Wink) but I enjoyed Cates next one (the last one from my standpoint  Grin), The Paybacks, much more.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 01:27:22 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men #10
Eternals #11
Elektra #100

DC Universe Infinite       
Robin & Batman #3         
The Joker #11

Hoopla
Basilisk #9
Promethia Book One

Substack
     Sisterhood
     Birth
     Arena

X-Men #10 - Another average book. But I do like the cliffhanger for next issue. It should be a little more interesting.

Eternals #11 - At taking too long to get anywhere.  I still like this book but we need trove along before I start getting bored.  At least I know it’s heading towards the big crossover and I’m ready to be there.

Elektra #100 - Main story wasn’t bad. Second story was kind of dumb.  The cartoons were mediocre.  Enjoyed the main story but I wouldn’t have paid for this.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 03:11:31 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men #10
Eternals #11
Elektra #100

DC Universe Infinite       
Robin & Batman #3         
The Joker #11

Hoopla
Basilisk #9
Promethia Book One

Substack
     Sisterhood
     Birth
     Arena

Robin & Batman #3   - Good mini.  Thumbs up to Lemire and Nguyen for creating a fun chapter in Dick Grayson’s Robin beginnings.

The Joker #11 - oh yeah! This is why I love this comic so much. Perry’s right. Getting back to the main story has ramped up the quality.  Great issue with promise of more greatness to come.

Basilisk #9 - Nice progression for this arc.  So far still a good book.  The layers are starting to peal.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 03:41:42 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men #10
Eternals #11
Elektra #100

DC Universe Infinite       
Robin & Batman #3         
The Joker #11

Hoopla
Basilisk #9
Promethia Book One

Substack
     Sisterhood
     Birth
     Arena

Sisterhood - This one was weird.  Had the look and feel of the Manhattan Project.  Strange people in this world.

Birth - This one was good.  Goes to show what lengths a man will go to save his wife and unborn son.

Arena - Brutal.  Gladiator style battles with some horrifying rules.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2022, 12:04:55 PM »

Batman Superman World's Finest #5
Black Adam #2
Nightwing #94
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 08:16:43 PM »

Dang trades!! Killing all my time... yet I still keep adding them AND more comics? WTF?
 Cheesy Cheesy
I had wanted to read Duggan's Dark Room (premise sounds cool), but I had forgotten about it and today I just found out it came out a month ago. I went straight to Hoopla and they had it. SWEET!!

DCI
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Robin and Batman #3
Joker #11
Batgirls #1
Batgirls #2 - Added

Justice League vs. The Legion of Super-Heroes #1

MU
Eternals #11

X-Men #10 - added

Other
B.P.R.D Plague of Frogs v1 (collects Hollow Earth 1-3, various shorts and one-shots and Plague of Frogs 1-5)
The Dark Room OGN - Added

JLA/LoSH - I tried. I gave it a shot. But I just can't take the look or feel of Benids' Legion. Me no likey!!

X-Men - Angry Jeff thought that this issue had an interesting ending so I tried it. This issue was good enough for me to add it back on my list. Jeff screwed me! Thanks, Jeff  Grin

BPRD Vampires - This was a fun, but highly typical, Hellboy universe story. I did enjoy the art by Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon, as I always do, and there are does fit this world pretty easily. This was a lot shorter than the current BPRD collection I am reading  Cheesy Hope to get through that one before it is set to return.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 03:39:10 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men #10
Eternals #11
Elektra #100

DC Universe Infinite       
Robin & Batman #3         
The Joker #11

Hoopla
Basilisk #9
Promethia Book One

Substack
     Sisterhood
     Birth
     Arena

Buzzkill (collects issues 1-4) - Not bad but not a must read.  I liked the premise. On the back cover Mark Millar said he wished he would have thought of it. I can see that because it is totally something I can see Millar coming up with.  The first two chapters are kind of repetitive but chapter three and four picks up and gives it a decent ending.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 12:21:05 PM »

I'm only about halfway done with Plague of Frogs (darn thing is over 400 pages), so that will be yet another title I carry over from week to week.  Grin Hell I may have to re-borrow the damn thing as it is taking so long.
 Cheesy

DCI
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Robin and Batman #3
Joker #11
Batgirls #1
Batgirls #2

Justice League vs. The Legion of Super-Heroes #1

MU
Eternals #11

X-Men #10

Other
B.P.R.D Plague of Frogs v1 (collects Hollow Earth 1-3, various shorts and one-shots and Plague of Frogs 1-5)
The Dark Room OGN

Batgirls - The art never did bother me, but the writing... ? Yeah, I couldn't deal with this pre-teen/young adult style. Kinda sucks as I was really in the mood for it. Maybe I will try Catwoman again. I guess I need some female Bat-Family stuff
4 outta 10 "I'm too old for this shit"s

Robin and Batman - Well, okay, this was a fine mini, but the last issue was somewhat of a let down. Not bad, but even though there was action to be had, it... I don't know, I think I enjoyed the first two issues more. Certainly not the first comic that I have left with that feeling, and it certainly will not be the last. Still, the first two issues were big winners.
8 outta 10 lyrics to Crocodile Rock
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 12:27:33 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2022, 01:31:28 PM »

Buzzkill (collects issues 1-4) - Not bad but not a must read.  I liked the premise. On the back cover Mark Millar said he wished he would have thought of it. I can see that because it is totally something I can see Millar coming up with.  The first two chapters are kind of repetitive but chapter three and four picks up and gives it a decent ending.

Quick correction:  the quote was from Mark Waid not Mark Millar.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS