HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:47:07 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, July 11, 2022  (Read 1577 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 11, 2022, 03:48:46 PM »

Got hit with a bout of sickness and didn’t make it through all my tpbs last week.  Still under the weather but hoping to get through these.

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men Red #1
X-Force Annual #1
Strange #2
She-Hulk #3
Devil’s Reign #6
X-Force #27
Black Widow #15

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #119            
Dark Knights of Steel #3      
Justice League Incarnate #3

Hoopla
The Magic Order Vol 2 TPB - Collects issues #1-6
Groo Meets Tarzan TPB - Collects issues #1-4
Once and Future #27

Substack
3 Worlds / 3 Moons - by Johnathon Hickman
     Transit
     Assessment
     The Job

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 06:36:12 PM »

Killing the Avengers '76 stuff until I get back into a 70's mood, so that catches me up on Marvel, even though I am dumping something to do it  Tongue Also up at 1:00 AM again so I started on the new Marvel stuff for this week to get on top of it. Hells to the Yeah!
 Cheesy
(Hope ya feel better soon, Jeff)

(Edit - Forgot to add my new Hoopla, will be more Wednesday I imagine)

DCI
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Legion of Super-Heroes (1989) #4
Legion of Super-Heroes (1989) #5
Justice League Incarnate #1
Justice League Incarnate #2
Nice House on the Lake #1
Nice House on the Lake #2
Nice House on the Lake #3
Nice House on the Lake #4
Nice House on the Lake #5
Nice House on the Lake #6
[-----New additions this week-----]
Dark Knights of Steel #3
One Star Squadron #2
*Justice League Infinity #7 (DL only, not reading yet)*

MU
X-Men Red #1
Strange #2
She-Hulk #3
Black Widow #15

Other
The Paybacks Collection (Collects issues 1-8
Paper Girls v1 (Collects issues 1-5)
[-----New additions this week-----]
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin (collects issues 1-5)
Basilisk #9

Strange - An okay story, but art was crowded. Love the look of Clea with her Dormammu hair though  Grin Looking forward to next issue.

She-Hulk - Favorite issue from Marvel (so far at least). Not much movement, but a good recap of Jack, although it does seem weird that it is already issue #3 and we have not really moved the story along, truly yet. Still enjoy it though.
But something tells me I am not going to like the future, "new" look of Jack of Hearts. There has been nothing said that proves there will be a new look, but the story seems to be shining a flashlight down a path...  Sad

Black Widow - Okay, Imma say it, this sucked. Felt rushed to a finish and art was not as tight. Wasn't horrible, but the last four or five issues just wasn't as good as the first 12 or so  Undecided Oh well, done is done.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 06:42:15 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 10:51:26 AM »

I read LoSH (1989 - AKA 5 years later) issue #4 and... I'm going to re-read that. Lots of stuff here. Kind of has my brain spinning so I need to go back and do a lil' research on some stuff... do some web investigating and maybe ask Jimbo lots of Superman/Superboy related questions  Grin Anyway, not marking it off quite yet.

DCI
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Dark Knights of Steel #3
One Star Squadron #2

MU
X-Men Red #1
Strange #2
She-Hulk #3
Black Widow #15

Other
The Paybacks Collection (Collects issues 1-8)
Basilisk #9
Buzzkill - Added

Dark Knights - I am really enjoying this Dark/Middle Age tale. Really perked up with what was said in the last panel as well

The Paybacks - Really enjoyed this Donny Cates take on the caped homage trope. Crazy, "out there" story that left me wanting more. So just like his Image Crossover title got me interested in this prior comic work of his, after reading this I am also now interested in his book that came prior to this one Grin Yep, adding it. (Also just remebered that I have to check and see if Hoopla has his Babyteeth series that finally finished up last year)

Basilisk - I still enjoy this book but after this issue I think I am going to hold off on this title until this current run is collected or when Hoopla has more issues up so I can read them back to back. This, to me, is a prime example of "It is better collected"

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 10:28:35 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men Red #1
X-Force Annual #1
Strange #2
She-Hulk #3
Devil’s Reign #6
X-Force #27
Black Widow #15

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #119            
Dark Knights of Steel #3      

Hoopla

Once and Future #27

Substack
     Transit
     Assessment
     The Job

The Magic Order Vol 2 TPB - Not bad but not as good as the first collection.  I’ll still pick up the third story which starts this month.

Groo Meets Tarzan TPB - Fun romp down memory lane with Groo, Tarzan, and the cartoonists romp at comic-con.  Not a must read but fans of Groo will enjoy.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 03:13:37 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men Red #1
X-Force Annual #1

Strange #2
She-Hulk #3
Devil’s Reign #6
X-Force #27
Black Widow #15

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #119            
Dark Knights of Steel #3      

Hoopla

Once and Future #27

Substack
     Transit
     Assessment
     The Job

X-Men Red #1 - Interesting first issue.  A little too much “anger” with some characters but intriguing enough to warrant reading the next issue.

X-Force Annual #1 - Simple one shot.  Makes you wonder what Beast is really up to.

X-Force #27 - Man, what happens to Forge is something. Something about this comic just keeps me coming back.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 04:22:33 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men Red #1
X-Force Annual #1

Strange #2
She-Hulk #3

Devil’s Reign #6
X-Force #27
Black Widow #15

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #119            
Dark Knights of Steel #3      

Hoopla

Once and Future #27

Substack
     Transit
     Assessment
     The Job

Strange #2 - Ooooo. I like it when she’s angry. This is getting good.

She-Hulk #3 - Ugh. I don’t know if I’m going to make it through this. The dialogue was terrible. I’m going to have to think hard about getting the next issue. But it does have Ben Grimm in it…

Black Widow #15 - That ends this fun series.  I really enjoyed this cast of characters and will miss them.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 11:47:12 AM »

She-Hulk #3 - Ugh. I don’t know if I’m going to make it through this. The dialogue was terrible. I’m going to have to think hard about getting the next issue.

Ha, I love it when opinions are so diametrically opposite on an issue from the same week  Cheesy
I am sure I will be the odd man out this time once Jimmy reads this issue Grin

(I think we also have difference on Black Widow's last issue, perhaps, but certainly if so it isn't as disparate as She-Hulk  Cheesy)

Only knocked out three the last two days, but two of 'em are trades, so got some reading in at least. Just not as much as I wanted.

DCI
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Dark Knights of Steel #3
One Star Squadron #2

MU
X-Men Red #1
Strange #2
She-Hulk #3
Black Widow #15

Other
Basilisk #9
Buzzkill (collects issues 1-4)

One Star Squadron - Sure this isn't an original idea. Reminiscent of stories like the Great Lake Avengers, but I like Red Tornado and feel for the guy trying to work with (rent out) lower tier powers. Red was in the Justive League damn it and now he rents out D-listers? Cheesy  This is funny but there is some heart here as well, so not just a humor book.
And the new Minute Man kills me. Gotta love a person that takes a pill to have powers for one full minute...  Cheesy

TMNT Last Ronin - Wanted to relive my youth to back when I first jumped on the original Turtles (well before the F'n joke of a cartoon  Angry), but sadly this didn't wow me. A decent "this is the end" story but the "feels" didn't hit as hard as it should. For me at least.  Undecided

Paper Girls - This was fine. A good book. Nothing here made me mad but it also didn't make me happy. And that is the rub. I felt as if I was just going through the motion of reading this. Didn't connect with nor felt anything for any of the characters. And while I found some of the threats interseting, the back log of comics I have to get to seemed to overpower my desire to find out more about those threats (are they even threats?). I have way too much I want to read more than this right now. I will watch the series when it hits in a couple weeks (looking forward to it actually) and hey, maybe that will spur my interest to jump back in? Maybe I can connect with an actor or two and I can use that connection and transpose that feeling into the comic? I can see that happening, that's possible, but for now there are just too many other things I want to try.
 Undecided

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 06:08:53 PM »

Read a couple more from a couple different titles and came away with vastly different feelings.

DCI
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Dark Knights of Steel #3
- Not reading, yet?

One Star Squadron #2

MU
X-Men Red #1
Strange #2
She-Hulk #3
Black Widow #15

Other
Basilisk #9

*First off - Hey Jeff, is the spell-check down or is it on my end? Just curious because I mispelled a lot and it never turned red to let me know
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

EDIT - Forgot to make the Nice House issue that I "Read" "Red"
 Cheesy
Dang, why oh why could it not have been X-Men "Red" that I had "Read" and forgot to turn "Red"?

Justice League Incarnate - I think I am walking away from this title. Maybe just for now, but probably for good. There is too much "Morrison Crisis" here and I am not a fan of that. I can respect it, and I do, but I don't overly enjoy it. Sorry Grant and my apologies to Williamson

Nice House on the Lake - So glad I waited on this, but now I am so glad I may have to wait further as I am almost caught up!! This is a good mystery/sci-fi story and think that HBO or Prime could benefit from pulling this as a mini-series. Not one of those ongoing, multi-season shows, but just a one and done project. Not a huge budget needed, at least yet, that I can see. Enjoy this a lot.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 11:38:59 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 04:16:57 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men Red #1
X-Force Annual #1

Strange #2
She-Hulk #3

Devil’s Reign #6
X-Force #27
Black Widow #15

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #119            
Dark Knights of Steel #3      

Hoopla

Once and Future #27

Substack
     Transit
     Assessment
     The Job

Devil’s Reign #6 - And that’s that.  Happy to have this wrapped up even though I enjoyed it overall.  The next chapter in Matt’s life should be interesting as we revisit the Hand.

Once and Future #27 - Oh nice closure on a plot thread! And quite unexpected.  Powering to the conclusion and on a good start!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 04:18:09 AM »

Glad you like Nice House on the Lake Perry.  I read it month to month and love it.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022, 04:41:44 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men Red #1
X-Force Annual #1

Strange #2
She-Hulk #3

Devil’s Reign #6
X-Force #27
Black Widow #15

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #119            
Dark Knights of Steel #3      

Hoopla

Once and Future #27

Substack
     Transit
     Assessment
     The Job

Transit - interesting. Strange explanation of travel while an orphan moves to her new home.

Assessment - Hmmm. A little dark. But now we know how leaders are chosen.

The Job - Not sure where this is leading.  Left me unsatisfied.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 11:33:47 AM »

Glad you like Nice House on the Lake Perry.  I read it month to month and love it.

Yes, I remember.  Smiley I also wish I could do that, read month to month no matter what, but stuff like this, mystery and fantasy books, especially when they have a cast of more than five or six people thrown at you within the first few pages (which is almost always the case Cheesy)... they don't do overly well in my memory  Angry. Books are sometimes easier than comics as I can create my own image, but with mystery comics (which is essentially what this is), whew, it can be even worse at times as we are shown what people look like and the difference in characters, as is the case here, usually only comes down to what sex they are... were... and what hair style they have  Grin Hard for my brain to remember new characters, en masse, when that happens.

Just like I always complain about DC not having a quick little recap in the front of their books, for character and storylines I know, this takes it to another level. Yeah, this would be even worse.
 Grin

But yes, a very good book still, just one that I wished did the Brubaker/Phillips thing of OGN release
 Smiley

Only read one last night...

DCI
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Dark Knights of Steel #3

One Star Squadron #2

MU
X-Men Red #1
Strange #2
She-Hulk #3
Black Widow #15

Other
Basilisk #9

X-Men Red - I totally get why Jeff will continue with this book but I understand even more about his "anger" comment. So much so that I think I am done after one.

And I just wrote a huge paragraph on why, but man I got into the weeds far too much.  Grin  Here is a faster summery of my thesis I just wrote
 Cheesy

Just too much "X" anger (Bemoaning in all the books), not fun. Hickman story going far too long? Was hoping the relaunch would be a refresh but it isn't. I'm still on Immortal as I enjoy the writing, but I really tire of this two island, three planet stuff
 Undecided
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 02:02:39 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 04:02:48 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men Red #1
X-Force Annual #1

Strange #2
She-Hulk #3

Devil’s Reign #6
X-Force #27
Black Widow #15

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #119            
Dark Knights of Steel #3      

Hoopla

Once and Future #27

Substack
     Transit
     Assessment
     The Job

Batman #119 - Only reading the main story but it’s not holding my interest.  I’ll finish out the arc at least.  Was hoping for some good Batman stuff.

Dark Knights of Steel #3 - Excellent story and great progression this issue.  Absolutely loving the twists,turns, and action in this series.

Justice League Incarnate #3 - ugh. I’m done here.  I couldn’t read past the first few pages then just flipped to the end.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS