HR Boards
April 16, 2024, 03:52:58 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, June 27, 2022  (Read 2588 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2022, 04:50:11 PM »

DCI
Legion '90 #14
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Legion of Super-Heroes (1989) #2
Legion of Super-Heroes (1989) #3
Legion of Super-Heroes (1989) #4
Action Comics #1036
Action Comics #1037

Batman #118
Batman: Detective #6
Batman: One Dark Knight (BL)
Batman/Catwoman #9
Catwoman: Lonely City #1
Catwoman Lonely CIty #2
DC Holiday Special
Gotham City Villains

Justice League Incarnate #1
Justice League Incarnate #2
Nice House on the Lake #2
Nice House on the Lake #3
Nice House on the Lake #4
Nice House on the Lake #5
Nice House on the Lake #6
Nightwing #87
Robin and Batman #1
Robin and Batman #2
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #5
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #6
Swamp Thing #9
Swamp Thing #10

MU
Avengers #147 (1976)
Avengers #148 (1976)
Avengers #53
Avengers #54

Avengers Forever #3
Avengers Forever #4
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Dark Ages #3
Dark Ages #4
Dark Ages #5
Dark Ages #6
Eternals: the Heretic
Ghost Rider #2
Hulk #4
Hulk #5

Immortal X-Men #1
Silver Surfer Rebirth #2

Other
Cimmerian: Hour of the Dragon #1
Cimmerian: Hour of the Dragon #2
Cimmerian: Hour of the Dragon #3
Cimmerian: Hour of the Dragon #4

Crossover v1 (Collects issues 1-6)
BRZRKR v1 (Collects issues 1-4)
Canto v1 (Collects issues 1-6)
Pearl v1 (Collects issues 1-6)
Trese v1 - French OGN series (?)

Batman - This was good, worth the time and all, but now that I know Williamson is really only a co-writer on this going forward (more of a 50/50 co-writing guy, just a "plot" only co-writer or a "let me fix that" kind of a co-writer I am not sure?) AND that Chip Zdarsky will soon take over as writer, I think I will just wait this out and jump back in when Chip takes over. Not like I am not getting my fill of Batman comics to read  Undecided

Batman/Catwoman - Man, I was just spoiled on how this mini ends and now I don't know if I want to keep going. This was, okay, but I think it hit me as well as it did Jeff. I'm not sure if I will continue with it or not now. pretty bummed.
Oh, and just to clarify, I am not in anyway saying the ending has put me off the title, it is... well... I know what happens with both the mystery and Bruce and Selina so...  Sad

Eternals - Not only am I loving this series, I am loving the way they work in these one shots. It is, or seems to be, as well planned out as the old Star Wars: Legacy series from Dark Horse (by Ostrander and Duursema) in which after every 4 to 6 issues, they gave Jan Duursema time to catch up a little by throwing in a one-shot drawn by someone else. This isn't as tightly timed as that was, but it does give the art team time all the same. And damn if I am not enjoying the way this is written. In the style of Hickman, but not. I likey. I just hope the Gillen bug that hits Jeff (Gillen's lack-luster endings) stays clear of this title  Smiley

Trese v1 - Not bad, but at the same time, not as tight as I had hoped. This is a Filipino comic... well it is written by a popular writer and an artist that are both from the Philippines... and that was a selling point for me. I am a huge fan of Korean horror and was hoping to walk away feeling the same about this title while all the while gaining more comic knowledge on foreign talent. And, I wouldn't say this was a miss by any stretch, I would like to continue and it is said to get better as it goes, but again, I just have too much on my plate already so I need things to really hit for me to keep going. Still not a bad "horror/crime" comic though  Smiley

Cimmerian - One of my favorite Robert E Howard tales!
I have always found Conan to work best when he fights the evil wizards (especially ones raised from the dead!  Smiley) compared to when it's him going up against the men of the land. I have also liked the idea of him becoming King (man I loved those "King Conan" comics back in the day), and here, I get the best of both (Of course I always hated that Conan wasn't the one to provide the "killing blow" to the evil this go'round  Smiley) Art was great, dark yet nice painted style.
Ablaze continues to knock this property out of the park. Also love them for including the original pulp stories in the back of each book. I think this is going to be read by me a couple more times before my end. Or I hope so at least Cheesy
  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2022, 04:32:51 PM »

DCI
Legion '90 #14
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Action Comics #1036
Action Comics #1037

Batman #118
Batman/Catwoman #9
Catwoman Lonely CIty #2
DC Holiday Special
Gotham City Villains

Nightwing #87
Robin and Batman #1
Robin and Batman #2
Swamp Thing #9
Swamp Thing #10

MU
Avengers #147 (1976)
Avengers #148 (1976)
Avengers #53
Avengers #54

Avengers Forever #3
Avengers Forever #4
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Dark Ages #3
Dark Ages #4
Dark Ages #5
Dark Ages #6
Ghost Rider #2
Hulk #4
Hulk #5

Immortal X-Men #1
Silver Surfer Rebirth #2

Other

The Paybacks v1 (Collects issues 1-4) - ADDED

LoSH - Well at least this getting used to the heroes 'real names' is getting easier Cheesy. This is pretty text heavy, but on the tabloids/news side of things more than the characters themselves. This five year time jump from the end of the "Baxter Paper" era, or the Magic Wars arc, is going to fill in quite slowly it seems. But that's cool  Smiley

Crossover v1 - This was fine, but I find myself wanting to read Danny Cate's Payback series more than I want to read about this one (so much so that I added it  Grin). Now again, nothing wrong here, but I think this is one of those super-rare "It is probably better monthly" titles! As Jeff said, this is a "meta" title which des normally read better collected, but for some reason (maybe it's the cross ownership?) I found it got somewhat old somewhat fast. I may still read the second volume, but it will be after I get caught up more than I am now  Smiley

Canto v1 - A very good all-ages title. This is about a "lil knight" and his desire to be free. A good fantasy book without too much of the heavy harshness. It has at least two more mini after this one, with another starting soon, but much like Crossover, I will wait on coming back to this for a few. Although there is a lil' more joy in thinking about coming back to this one
 Smiley
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 05:36:35 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2022, 05:36:15 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Captain Marvel #37
Immortal X-Men #1
Silver Surfer Rebirth #3
Dark Ages #6
Maestro World War M #2
Devil’s Reign: X-Men #3

Uncanny X-Men (1987) #223
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #224

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing #87
Batman/Catwoman #9

ComiXology Unlimited
Newburn #7
Image! 30th Anthology #2
Alias Vol 1 TPB

Hoopla
Once & Future #25
Once & Future #26
The Magic Order Vol 1 TPB - Collects issues #1-6
The Magic Order Vol 2 TPB - Collects issues #1-6

Substack
3 Worlds / 3 Moons - by Johnathon Hickman
   The Vallers
   Duals I
   Duals II

------------------------------------------------------

The Magic Order Vol 1 TPB - Collects issues #1-6 - I was mistaken thinking I had tried this and was giving it a second chance.  I must have been thinking of something else because I have not read this before.  Glad I picked this up because it was AMAZING!  I really liked what Millar and Coipel did here.  Characters were interesting. Twists were unexpected. Art was good.  The Magic Order is becoming one of top series.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2022, 05:41:42 PM »

The Magic Order Vol 1 TPB - I really liked what Millar and Coipel did here.

Well I hope what Millar and Immonen does in v2 has the same effect  Smiley
Not a spoiler, per se, but nonetheless wait on reading this until you read the next one
It wasn't as fun for me, but the twist hit me harder  Shocked

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2022, 11:49:59 AM »

Was only able to get one more in last night (Catwoman: Lonely City), but overall I am happy with this weeks progress. A lot of trades, lots of double sized issues and one older comic, and they always seem to have the text volume of double (or triple IE: Claremont  Grin) sized issues of today
 Smiley
Bottom line I added 14 issues/trades to my (already) huge list and was able to get to 33 of the total completed!!! Yeah, I went through some books this week. I pulled a Jeff, or more recently... a Jimmy
 Grin

DCI
Legion '90 #14
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Action Comics #1036
Action Comics #1037

Batman #118
Batman/Catwoman #9
Catwoman Lonely CIty #2
DC Holiday Special
Gotham City Villains

Nightwing #87
Robin and Batman #1
Robin and Batman #2
Swamp Thing #9
Swamp Thing #10

MU
Avengers #147 (1976)
Avengers #148 (1976)
Avengers #53
Avengers #54

Avengers Forever #3
Avengers Forever #4
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Dark Ages #3
Dark Ages #4
Dark Ages #5
Dark Ages #6
Ghost Rider #2
Hulk #4
Hulk #5

Immortal X-Men #1
Silver Surfer Rebirth #2

Other

The Paybacks v1 (Collects issues 1-4)

Catwoman: Lonely City #2 - Once again I can't praise Cliff Change enough. When you hear about a guy doing a 'vanity project' such as this, doing everything inside the book, you tend to expect more of the "vanity" side of things to show through. And when I say "vanity project" I am not talking about creators that do multiple aspect of the comic they are creating, no, no, I give those guys massive props. Guys like Matt Kindt or your Jeff Lemire (sorry but Todd McFarlane can not write!!!) but hearing about a guy that wants to do it all, everything... write it, pencil it, ink it, color it, letter it... yeah, that is what I would call a vanity project. However, I can honestly say that Cliff Chang should be as vain as anyone can be because he is killing it here! Speaking of kill...
What he is doing with Killer Croc is awesome  Cheesy
This set in the future (non-canon?) tale has been the surprise of the month for me and I can not wait for the next and final issue of this 3 parter to hit. If you enjoyed what Chang did on Wonder Woman, you should really enjoy this!! So good!!
 Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS