HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 12:08:29 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, June 13, 2022  (Read 2300 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 13, 2022, 02:09:21 PM »

I’m thinking this looks like an easy week.

Marvel Unlimited
Punisher #1
Sabertooth #2
Devil’s Reign #5
Eternals #10
Strange Academy #17
Thor #23

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #118
L.E.G.I.O.N. #16
L.E.G.I.O.N. #17
L.E.G.I.O.N. #18

ComiXology Unlimited
Crossover #13

Hoopla
Destroy All Monsters: A Reckless Book TPB
A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance TPB

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 02:47:33 PM »

Batman Urban Legends #16... most of the stores are crap but I love the Bruce/Zatanna story.
DC Pride Tim Drake Special #1... my buddy is collecting the Pride covers. I will read this and pass it onto him.
Radiant Black #15
Superman: Son of Kal-El #12.... last issue. I was hoping for more character developement.

and I caved and bought Avengers Forever #6 last week. it was the debut of Vibranium Man (aka
Black Panther

« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 06:41:23 PM by Perry » Logged
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 06:40:39 PM »

and I caved and bought Avengers Forever #6 last week. it was the debut
of Vibranium Man (aka Black Panther).

Spoilers  Tongue

My list, which has grown very large as I have not been reading and even though I know I am not holding myself to completing it (because I will not), I need to write it down anyway to have a list I can look to  Cheesy. Plus it will now include Batman #118 because Jeff reminded me it was the first Williamson issue. Like that makes a difference... adding one title to this list.
 Cheesy

DCI
Legion '90 #14
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Legion of Super-Heroes (1989) #2
Legion of Super-Heroes (1989) #3
Legion of Super-Heroes (1989) #4
Wonder Woman Historia #1 (Will be a re-read as I loved this when I read it at the LCS!!!!)
Human Target #2
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #5
Nice House on the Lake #2
Nice House on the Lake #3
Nice House on the Lake #4
Nice House on the Lake #5
Nice House on the Lake #6
Action Comics #1036
Action Comics #1037
Gotham City Villains
Batman: Detective #6
Batman #118
Robin and Batman #1
Justice League Incarnate #1
One Star Squadron #1
Dark Knights of Steel #2
Swamp Thing #10 (and the rest of #9 as it looks like I didn't finish it??)

MU
Alien #8
Alien #9
Alien #10
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Dark Ages #3
Dark Ages #4
Punisher #1 - Forgot to add this
Thor #22
Thor #23
Strange Academy #16
Strange Academy #17
Avengers #53
Avengers Forever #3
Eternals #10
Hulk #4
She-Hulk #2
Silver Surfer Rebirth #2

Other
Magic Order #3
Magic Order #4
Magic Order #5
King of Spies #1
King of Spies #2
King of Spies #3
King of Spies #4
Cimmerian: Hour of the Dragon #1
Cimmerian: Hour of the Dragon #2
Cimmerian: Hour of the Dragon #3
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 09:39:08 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 02:29:58 AM »

Wonder Woman Historia #1 (Will be a re-read as I loved this when I read it at the LCS!!!!)

Oh dang!  I forgot to add that last week after you told me about it!  I'll be adding it to my list for this week.

Dark Knights of Steel #2

And for some reason I was going to skip this series.  But I think both Perry and Rodney liked the first issue.  (Can't remember if Jimmy read it or not)

I'll go ahead and add issues 1 & 2 - why not.  The art does look good.

One Star Squadron #1

I remember this now.  Didn't interest me.  I'm not in the current mood for the silliness of it.  I'm sure it's probably a good comic, just not for me.

Magic Order #3
Magic Order #4
Magic Order #5

I remember picking the first couple of issues up but I don't remember why I stopped getting it.  I added it to my Hoopla library since they have several Magic Order trades in there to borrow.  I'll give it another shot as it may have just been a cost cut at the time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 02:42:32 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 02:45:14 AM »

UPDATED

Marvel Unlimited
Punisher #1
Sabertooth #2
Devil’s Reign #5
Eternals #10
Strange Academy #17
Thor #23

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #118
ADD: Wonder Woman Historia #1
ADD: Dark Knights of Steel #1
ADD: Dark Knights of Steel #2
ADD: World of Krypton #1

L.E.G.I.O.N. #16
L.E.G.I.O.N. #17
L.E.G.I.O.N. #18

ComiXology Unlimited
Crossover #13

Hoopla

« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 04:17:16 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 01:42:57 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Punisher #1
Sabertooth #2
Devil’s Reign #5
Eternals #10
Strange Academy #17
Thor #23

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #118
Wonder Woman Historia #1
Dark Knights of Steel #1
Dark Knights of Steel #2
World of Krypton #1
L.E.G.I.O.N. #16
L.E.G.I.O.N. #17
L.E.G.I.O.N. #18

ComiXology Unlimited
Crossover #13

Hoopla

Punisher #1 - well that explains why Frank is involved with the Hand.  Interesting start.  This could go one of two ways – really good or really really bad. Let’s hope for the former!

Sabertooth #2 - Hmmmm.  I want to see how this works itself out but I’m already getting bored with this story.

Devil’s Reign #5 - Got to read the issue that last weeks Dare Devil spoiled. So the big “surprise” ending wasn’t as impactful as it should have been.  But nice to see the big finale should be a good one.

Eternals #10 - Good issue. Makes me look forward to the upcoming crossover.

Strange Academy #17 - Oh man! What a great issue! Things just lit up like a flaming head of Dormamu! I can’t believe this series is almost over. It’s one of the best things Marvel is putting out right now.

Thor #23 - I’m glad this arc is finished. I had decided to drop this after this issue but the ending was good enough to keep me on board for the next big issue. Yes it is still good, it sucked me back in by the end.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 01:46:06 PM »

Yes, I love Dark Knights of Steel. It's a great Elseworld saga and fun characters. The first five issues were collected in a trade paperback.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 06:15:07 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Punisher #1
Sabertooth #2
Devil’s Reign #5
Eternals #10
Strange Academy #17
Thor #23

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #118
Wonder Woman Historia #1

Dark Knights of Steel #1
Dark Knights of Steel #2
World of Krypton #1
L.E.G.I.O.N. #16
L.E.G.I.O.N. #17
L.E.G.I.O.N. #18

ComiXology Unlimited
Crossover #13

Hoopla

Batman #118 - Awesome. We start the new world off with a fun fight and then a mystery.  Perfect setup for a Batman story.

Wonder Woman Historia #1 - Amazing art in this book.  Great history starting with the Greek goddesses. Looking forward to reading more of this.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2022, 11:46:56 AM »

Sure, let's see what this list looks at the end of the week
 Cheesy

DCI
Legion '90 #14
Legion '90 #15
Legion '90 #16
Legion of Super-Heroes (1989) #2
Legion of Super-Heroes (1989) #3
Legion of Super-Heroes (1989) #4
- Didn't read these, but in an effort to catch up, just a tad, I'm dropping for now.
Wonder Woman Historia #1
Human Target #2
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #5
Nice House on the Lake #2
Nice House on the Lake #3
Nice House on the Lake #4
Nice House on the Lake #5
Nice House on the Lake #6
Action Comics #1036
Action Comics #1037
Gotham City Villains
Batman: Detective #6
Batman #118
Robin and Batman #1
Justice League Incarnate #1
One Star Squadron #1
Dark Knights of Steel #2
Swamp Thing #9
Swamp Thing #10

MU
Alien #8
Alien #9
Alien #10
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Dark Ages #3
Dark Ages #4
Punisher #1
Thor #22
Thor #23
Strange Academy #16
Strange Academy #17
Avengers #53
Avengers Forever #3
Eternals #10
Hulk #4
She-Hulk #2
Silver Surfer Rebirth #2

Other
Magic Order #3
Magic Order #4
Magic Order #5
Magic Order #6

King of Spies #1
King of Spies #2
King of Spies #3
King of Spies #4
Cimmerian: Hour of the Dragon #1
Cimmerian: Hour of the Dragon #2
Cimmerian: Hour of the Dragon #3
Bone Orchard: The Passageway OGN - ADDED - Hoopla has this as a same day release? Sweet!!

Wonder Woman Historia - I honestly didn't re-read the entre thing, more of a flip and scan, but I stared at every page. Just gorgeous. Phil Jimenez channeling the great George Perez, Michael Golden, Gene Day and JH Williams to perfection.

One Star Squadron - If you're a fan of JLI, you may want to add this. It isn't as good, but I found it fun and enjoyable. Sort of a heroes for hire situation but... for jobs that are... well  Cheesy Cheesy I'm not sure how it will play out, but I can see something coming and all I can say is I feel sorry for poor ole Red Tornado  Grin

Eternals - Like Jeff, I am looking forward to the A.X.E event. I wasn't, at all, until the FCBD issue but the last couple issues of Eternals has me chomping at the bit for this thing to get here. I think Gillen is taking the role of Hickman at Marvel now. He may not be as complex (few are), but he also adds more humor and emotion to his writing than Hickman ever did. He lands with the simplest of jokes and the ones you don't see coming, yet also can get you fired up with his drama stuff. Man I wish his Immortal X-Men was on Hoopla. Hey, is it?

Magic Order - Alright, not quite as good as the first run, some characters seemed to lack what I would call true emotional responses  Roll Eyes (a true Mark Millar trait), but it was still a good romp. Art was great for the subject matter, without getting fancy or too magical. If you come in wanting a Dr. Strange level of artistic expression, then you will be let down, but I think Immonen did a banging job, personally.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2022, 12:51:10 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Punisher #1
Sabertooth #2
Devil’s Reign #5
Eternals #10
Strange Academy #17
Thor #23

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #118
Wonder Woman Historia #1

Dark Knights of Steel #1
Dark Knights of Steel #2
World of Krypton #1

L.E.G.I.O.N. #16
L.E.G.I.O.N. #17
L.E.G.I.O.N. #18

ComiXology Unlimited
Crossover #13

Hoopla

Dark Knights of Steel #1 & 2 - I’m glad you guys talked me into picking this up. This was really good. I like some of the twists and turns and the entire tapestry is really amazing. Big thumbs up.

World of Krypton #1 - I’m out.  That great looking cover is a bait and switch. Perry tried to remind me that I don’t like Oemings art but I didn’t remember that I don’t like it.  Then I got a look inside this comic. Oof! Perry was right, it’s horrible IMO.  Not picking up this series anymore.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2022, 12:53:27 PM »

One Star Squadron - If you're a fan of JLI, you may want to add this. It isn't as good, but I found it fun and enjoyable. Sort of a heroes for hire situation but... for jobs that are... well  Cheesy Cheesy I'm not sure how it will play out, but I can see something coming and all I can say is I feel sorry for poor ole Red Tornado  Grin

Maybe I’ll pick this up later down the road when I’m more in the mood for silliness.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2022, 03:39:18 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Punisher #1
Sabertooth #2
Devil’s Reign #5
Eternals #10
Strange Academy #17
Thor #23

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #118
Wonder Woman Historia #1

Dark Knights of Steel #1
Dark Knights of Steel #2
World of Krypton #1

L.E.G.I.O.N. #16
L.E.G.I.O.N. #17
L.E.G.I.O.N. #18

ComiXology Unlimited
Crossover #13

Hoopla

Destroy All Monsters: A Reckless Book TPB - Man, Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips just make awesome comics. This one was no different. Really good crime book and I actually like the graphic novel format. Another big thumbs up.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2022, 04:37:30 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Punisher #1
Sabertooth #2
Devil’s Reign #5
Eternals #10
Strange Academy #17
Thor #23

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #118
Wonder Woman Historia #1

Dark Knights of Steel #1
Dark Knights of Steel #2
World of Krypton #1

L.E.G.I.O.N. #16
L.E.G.I.O.N. #17
L.E.G.I.O.N. #18

ComiXology Unlimited
Crossover #13

Hoopla

Crossover #13 - End of the series.  Way too meta.  While this was somewhat entertaining it was really a comic written for the comic creators.  The final page was very funny, I grant you.  Overall, I’m glad I read it, just wish I hadn’t paid for it.

A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance TPB - Collect issues #1-5.  This was awesome!  Great pacing and intriguing story and characters.  Going to be hard waiting until September for the next trade to come out!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2022, 07:52:28 PM »

Crossover #13 - End of the series. 

Oh wow. I didn't know that. I guess I will read it soon instead of waiting until further down the road, when I thought it would be over.
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2022, 08:57:14 PM »

I loved the finale of Thor 23 and God of Hammers! So damned good!

Action Comics 1037-big hits from the very first big moment of this big story!

Batman the Detective 6 ; great mini all around. Great story great art.

Human Target 2: what a great issue only made EVEN BETTER by the final page!!!

(Quick notification from Jimmy's vacation!)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 09:02:09 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS