HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 08:23:35 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, June 6, 2022  (Read 1895 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 06, 2022, 01:12:07 PM »

Starting my Hoopla reading this week!

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men #9
Strange #1
Dare Devil: Woman Without Fear #3
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #217
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #218
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #219

DC Universe Infinite
Action Comics #1037
Human Target #2      
Nightwing 2021 Annual #1   
The Joker 2021 Annual #1      
Justice League Dark 2021 Annual #1      
Justice League Incarnate #1

ComiXology Unlimited
Time Before Time #12 - This is the start of a new arc. I may hold off and just wait for the trade. I can get the trade for free on hoopla. Decisions decisions.

Hoopla
Saga #59
Jupiter’s Legacy: Requiem #6
Once & Future #22-24
Destroy All Monsters: A Reckless Book TPB

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 01:36:09 AM »

Here we go!

MARVEL UNLIMITED

Amazing Spider-man 91 I don't like Kelly Thompson's comics. I've tried lots of Captain Marvel at different times, and never caught on to them. I'm reading her Captain Marvel currently, but that's because I like the events...but not necessarily the writing. This issue is flat out boring. I'm glad to see where it ended, because ya know, plotting, but I would never recommend this book, in all honesty.

Moon Knight 9  A quick little issue-but it still went 22 pages. Would have been done in shorter time, I think.

I read an article today from..Games Radar (used to be Newsarama, right?). Dont know the publishing date, but they talked a lot about editors now not being art people, and not knowing how to direct a comic, or an artist. Jurgens talked that there aren't people in the business who know how to do it. No art directors anymore at the Big Two. Mark Waid talks about writers not knowing how to write a page for an artist to take it and do something. Howard Chaykin talked about new artists having no idea how to move, and swing, and direct art across the paper, and no one knows how to educate them.

I thought about that a lot reading Moon Knight. Because that's exactly how that issue read.

X-men 9 I think I'm just done. That was my immediate thought as I closed the issue (digitally! Wink )
I read all the issue, and it sounded like...such far away nonsense from what I've been trying to keep an dfollow with . I don't know why Hickman made me fanatic in wanting more, but Duggan here (who I really like as a writer@!) just...yapped on and on about stuff that felt like it had no impact or importance to me.
I really feel I could walk and not care.

Daredevil Woman without Fear 3 DAMMIT I HATE KRAVEN!!!

Strange 1 Let's see how this goes

Cap/Iron Man 4 I've been enjoying it so far!

HOOPLA

Believe I'll be getting to Once and Future Vols 3 and 4 (I LOVE THIS TITLE!!!) and then Earth-1 Batman vol 2 and 3.

What does DC say is coming out this week?

DC INFINITE

Action Comics 1037

Batman The Detective 6

Human Target 2 (great read; glad for Perry for pushing it so hard!!)

Nightwing Annual 2021 ...why not

Robin 2021 Annual ....why not

Detective Comics Annual 2021 ... why not...

Batman Annual 2021...what the hell...

The Joker Annual 2021...what the F-!..

Wonder Woman Annual 2021...ok, maybe, LOL

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 03:54:48 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men #9
Strange #1

DC Universe Infinite
Action Comics #1037
Human Target #2      
Nightwing 2021 Annual #1   
The Joker 2021 Annual #1      

ComiXology Unlimited
Time Before Time #12 - This is the start of a new arc. I may hold off and just wait for the trade. I can get the trade for free on hoopla. Decisions decisions.

Hoopla
Saga #59
Once & Future #22-24

Saga #59 - Yay! My first Hoopla book and now I’m caught up with Saga! Good transition issue to end this arc.  New story coming up!

Jupiter’s Legacy: Requiem #6 - Great issue!  Lots of twists, turns, and holy sh!t moments!

Once & Future #22-24 - Good progression on this arc and some crazy monsters show up in this one.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 11:59:27 AM »

Starting my Hoopla reading this week!

YAY!! Free Comics!!!

Wait it out man  Grin You can do it!! Remember what you said this morning (well, last night really) about how reading that Millar stuff was so much better in trade? This is certainly ne of those titles what would as well (if I remember the first issue  Cheesy). Yeah, screw it, my vote is to wait for it, my man!!

As you may suspect, this is gonna be a good one
 Cheesy

Amazing Spider-man 91 I don't like Kelly Thompson's comics.

I can't say much about her as I don't read much from her, though I did check out the Capt. Marvel stuff a couple times and it seemed okay, but hey, it didn't keep me. Also, doing a fast looky-loo, I think I agree with you as I don't see much of anything from her that I do (or would?) enjoy, except for one. The only thing I do like from her is the current run on Black Widow. I do think THAT title is pretty darn good. But the rest, yeah, not for me.
(Oh, and that Black Widow title sends at #15)
 Undecided

I read an article today from..Games Radar (used to be Newsarama, right?). Dont know the publishing date, but they talked a lot about editors now not being art people, and not knowing how to direct a comic, or an artist. Jurgens talked that there aren't people in the business who know how to do it. No art directors anymore at the Big Two. Mark Waid talks about writers not knowing how to write a page for an artist to take it and do something. Howard Chaykin talked about new artists having no idea how to move, and swing, and direct art across the paper, and no one knows how to educate them.

Thanks for this. And yes, I agree!!!!!

I thought about that {above} a lot reading Moon Knight. Because that's exactly how that issue read.

I will never forget nor forgive an artist... and an editor  Angry, for letting this (from Moon Knight #7) pass...

I mean, this is nothing to sneeze at  Cheesy See that nose? 
First panel - Tigra's nose on her face? = CHECK
Second panel - Tigra's nose on her face? = CHECK
Third panel - Tigra's nose on her face? = CH... HOLY SHIT!!!! It looks like that Thumb Wars skit!!!! (props to those that get that reference)
 Smiley

X-men 9 I think I'm just done. That was my immediate thought as I closed the issue (digitally! Wink )

I think I am there too. Well, almost there. The next issue should be good. I think Duggan (whom I also like) is currently trying his hand at being Dan Slott. Write a good issue, write a bad issue, write a compelling issue, write a confusing issue... etc
 Angry

Strange 1 Let's see how this goes

It goes well so far and man do I hope it continues!!!

Believe I'll be getting to Once and Future Vols 3 and 4 (I LOVE THIS TITLE!!!)

Really is good. And if you know your references... Gillen is so good when he is good  Smiley Only reason I am in the least bit excited for that A.X.E event

What does DC say is coming out this week?

Nightwing Annual 2021 ...why not

Robin 2021 Annual ....why not

Detective Comics Annual 2021 ... why not...

Batman Annual 2021...what the hell...

The Joker Annual 2021...what the F-!..

Wonder Woman Annual 2021...ok, maybe, LOL

Had to quote that as it truly made me laugh. Ha, good stuff, Jimmy  Cheesy

Is odd to see this on the first Wednesday though. I think, for some reason, DC is doing their "Its week 5, lets throw out the rest of the stuff" at the beginning of the month this time. They usually do the annual releases (with maybe one or two "regular" issues) on the months where that "fifth Wednesday" hits, but now, this time, doing it at the start of the month? Wonder why? I guess because it was just a day off of being a 5 Wednesday month last month so they just slid it over.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 12:49:44 PM »

Is odd to see this on the first Wednesday though. I think, for some reason, DC is doing their "Its week 5, lets throw out the rest of the stuff" at the beginning of the month this time. They usually do the annual releases (with maybe one or two "regular" issues) on the months where that "fifth Wednesday" hits, but now, this time, doing it at the start of the month? Wonder why? I guess because it was just a day off of being a 5 Wednesday month last month so they just slid it over.
 Grin

The DC app is six months behind.  Maybe they came out originally on a week 5?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 01:16:35 PM »

Didn’t realize Batman The Detective came out this week.  Adding that.  Also taking off Time After Time and waiting for the collected.

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men #9
Strange #1

DC Universe Infinite
Action Comics #1037
Human Target #2      
Nightwing 2021 Annual #1   
The Joker 2021 Annual #1      
ADD: Batman: The Detective #6

ComiXology Unlimited
Time Before Time #12
- holding off on this until the next trade comes out.

Hoopla
Saga #59
Once & Future #22-24

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 06:55:51 PM »

Grin

The DC app is six months behind.  Maybe they came out originally on a week 5?

HAHA, crap, I keep forgetting that!!  Cheesy
Yes, December was a 5 Wednesday month.

What screwed me up even more was I knew that the Batman Annual for 2022 hit this past week in shops. I had Annual's on the brain.
 Grin
(and of course, that didn't hit on 6/1 as it is DC and they hit a day earlier so in reality, that Batman Annual did hit as the DC fifth week)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 01:38:20 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men #9
Strange #1

DC Universe Infinite
Action Comics #1037
Human Target #2      
Nightwing 2021 Annual #1   
The Joker 2021 Annual #1      
Batman: The Detective #6

Hoopla
Saga #59
Once & Future #22-24

X-Men #9 - Well, I guess I’m in the minority but I liked this issue. In fact I thought it was better than the last issue.  I’m looking forward to the next issue and hoping it builds on what happened in this one.

Strange #1 - Perry is right.  This is great! McKay really knows how to write strong women and compelling stories. And he’s in line for another hit with this one.

Dare Devil: Woman Without Fear #3 - Despite my dislike of Kraven, I liked this issue.  Not happy they spoiled issue 5 of Devils Reign but looking forward to Electra’s part in whatever is about to happen.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 11:55:01 AM »

X-Men #9 - Well, I guess I’m in the minority but I liked this issue. In fact I thought it was better than the last issue. 

Smiley You may be alone on with the enjoyment of this issue, and that's okay, but as I said above I just found this a little too confusing for me (well, I said it at one point. By progression I guess  Grin). And while the entire series has been very up and down for me...

I’m looking forward to the next issue and hoping it builds on what happened in this one.

Same  Smiley Well, I hope it doesn't leave me feeling as lost at least  Grin

Dare Devil: Woman Without Fear #3 - Despite my dislike of Kraven...

Ha, poor Kraven can't get any love.
 Cheesy

I understand though, I don't mind him but I am not a fan either. I think the only reason I can somewhat enjoy him in the stories is he reminds me of an old 1930's style character and this my love for classic pulp puts hima little, just a tad, higher than the rest of the gang here. He seems so dated that he becomes kinda cool... to me.
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 03:09:56 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men #9
Strange #1

DC Universe Infinite
Action Comics #1037
Human Target #2

Nightwing 2021 Annual #1   
The Joker 2021 Annual #1      

Hoopla
Saga #59
Once & Future #22-24

Action Comics #1037 - Great start to the Warworld storyline.

Human Target #2 - Chapter two continues to be good. The investigation into his killer truly begins.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2022, 02:52:15 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men #9
Strange #1

DC Universe Infinite
Action Comics #1037
Human Target #2

Nightwing 2021 Annual #1   
The Joker 2021 Annual #1      

Hoopla
Saga #59
Once & Future #22-24

Nightwing 2021 Annual #1   - Well, that was fun!  A nice Nightwing/Red Hood team up with a bit of history thrown in.

The Joker 2021 Annual #1   - Art was a too cartoony for me to fully enjoy this annual.  It's just a story from Gordan's past which was fine.  Decent story but definitely not a must read.

Justice League Dark 2021 Annual #1 - Finally!  A full comic of JL Dark!!  And they give us this art.  Ugh.  The story was confusing but I think it's bringing all of the back stories from Justice League together for a big payoff.  Or a big battle to say the least.  Enjoyed a full issue of JL Dark and I hope DC see the light and brings this title back!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2022, 04:25:27 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men #9
Strange #1

DC Universe Infinite
Action Comics #1037
Human Target #2

Nightwing 2021 Annual #1   
The Joker 2021 Annual #1      

Hoopla
Saga #59
Once & Future #22-24

Justice League Incarnate #1 - Fairly decent start with more multiverse endangerment.  I found the heroes of Earth-8 quite interesting.  I’m sticking around for more of this.

Batman: The Detective #6 - Good finale!  Hitting pretty good this week on good books.  This was a fun Batman mini.  Going to miss seeing Knight & Squire.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2022, 09:25:46 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Men #9
Strange #1

DC Universe Infinite
Action Comics #1037
Human Target #2

Nightwing 2021 Annual #1   
The Joker 2021 Annual #1      

Hoopla
Saga #59
Once & Future #22-24

Uncanny X-Men (1987) #217 - Dazzler vs Juggernaut! Not sure she should really be able to run away from him in heels but sure, it’s comics in the ‘80s.  :-)

Uncanny X-Men (1987) #218 - Part 2 of the fight with Juggernaut.  Rogue, Psylocke, Dazzler, and Longshot start to become a team.  Meanwhile a mystery starts to brew for Havok & Polaris! Fun story but the ‘80s fashion look is terrible.  Dazzler’s jazzercize ights and Rogues big hair. Ouch.

Uncanny X-Men (1987) #219 - And finally Havok joins the team!  Having so much fun re-reading the birth of this X-Men team.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 11:34:48 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2022, 04:58:54 PM »

Haven't really been knocking out the comics, but this past week I at least got a few read.

Action Comics #1035 - Trying to get some Supes reading in as I heard it is good. I like the writer.

Legion of Super-Heroes #1 (1989) re-read - Trying again to get further into this "5 years later" series

Nightwing #86 - Meh. I am looking forward to the return of the complete creative team!

X-Men #9 - This was... I don't know, just a comic. Next issue should be okay, if the trend holds true

Ghost Rider #1 - A good, classic style GR story, but was not a fan of the art  Undecided

Noir: A Collection of Crime Comics (tpb) - Like Jeff said, hit and miss. 2nd half of this was pretty good though.

A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance v1 (issues 1-5) - A truly fast read and glad it was free to read on Hoopla, but a damn fine read it was.

The Magic Order II #1
The Magic Order II #2
- Stuart Immonen was a fantastic choice to take over for this run. Really good.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS