HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 10:34:37 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, May 16, 2022  (Read 1586 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 16, 2022, 01:17:58 PM »

Going back to relive the late ‘80’s Uncanny X-Men team leading up to the Seige Perilous storyline.  They run from issues 212 to 275.

Marvel Unlimited
Maestro World War M #1
Devil’s Reign #4
The Secret X-Men #1
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #212
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #213
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #214
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #215
Uncanny X-Men (1987) #216

DC Universe Infinite
Batman: The Imposter #2
Justice League: Last Ride #7      
The Joker #9      
Action Comics #1036
L.E.G.I.O.N. #14
L.E.G.I.O.N. #15
L.E.G.I.O.N. #16
L.E.G.I.O.N. #17
L.E.G.I.O.N. #18

ComiXology Unlimited
Last Flight Out #6
Radio Spaceman #2
Black Hammer Reborn #11

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 01:26:29 PM »

Small but exciting week! And, yes, I will get around to posting my MU list later. It's finally stopped overlapping and have some "new" stuff.

Fables #151.... WAHOO!!!
Nightwing #92
Shadow War Zone #1
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 01:34:08 AM »

For me, this is reporting in over 2 weeks of books that I haven't jotted my thoughts down yet!

HERE WE GO!!

MARVEL UNLIMITED

Sabretooth 1 Glad Jeff liked my advice! A good look into what has been happening to the one Krakoa has tried to sweep under the rug from the start

Daredevil Woman Without Fear 2 I think the wrinkle into Elektra's backhistory story actually does add just a little bit of something worthwhile. However, any comic with Kraven in it just goes down in my estimation.

Amazing Spider-man 88 Well, the cover has Goblin Queen on it, and the foreshadowing was pretty thick to tell us that it's
Dr Kafka's clone perverted into this being.
What's been done to Ben to cause the ending is about the best part of this issue only....

FF Reckoning War I feel like I've read this story already through the eyes of the Guardians in Green Lantern. Can't see I feel real...into it at all.

Maestro World War M 1 Yes! Keep it going PAD! Oh..oh...the final page is Peter David's sweet memory of his first time meeting George Perez and getting him to draw Future Imperfect. This was only back when it was announced that Perez was terminal. Sad to read it just a week or so later from his actual death...

Amazing Spider-man 88.1 Stuff with Hobie Brown becoming Hornet, and other Slinger stuff. Was 'kay.

Devil's Reign 4 Now the whole maxi series is disrupted by 'did you read all the tie ins?" 'nope' "well, then good luck catching up on this nonsense!' is how this whole book went down. HOWEVER, if all of Zdarsky's wants was to tell the story that got to the final 4 pages of this issue...then I'll applaud him. Editors say 'a story with lots of tie ins!' and Chip says "no, I just need these 4 pages" Editors go "LOTSA TIE INS MAKE MONEEEEEEY!"  Chip just goes 'sigh, fine....'

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 01:55:07 AM »

OH boy DC Comics......

Superman: Red and Blue 3-6 'some good stories by the names who ARE names, others that were just okay. Nothing I would ever had paid real money for at some point in time, but I read it when it was on the app!!

Superman Up in the Sky 1-6 Tom King and Andy Kubert; these were the stories sold in 100 page things in Walmart a few years back. A really good/cool look at Superman. It fits in anywhere, it's timeless, near classic, and each issue is such a big goofy sci fi convention to all of it, that it works, even with how disjointed, but magical it can be. Very glad I finally read it!

Aquaman Becoming 2 Jackson Hyde is a good character. I'm happy to read his story. I'm happy to see Mera be damned good at being Mera!

Aquaman/Green Arrow Deep Target 1 The damn oddest premise to the most oddball story has me wanting to read more to just get beyond the WTF is going on moments! Cheesy

Detective Comics 1044 I don't like the bug villain and such.  A bit slower of an issue consdiering the speed of the 'Batman' title, but still enjoyable.

Deathstroke Inc 2 Really eh and meh to me, particularly after being educated on the sexual relationship that early Slade had with Terra. I was floored! Didn't catch onto that!

Robin 7 I'm excited for the next fight, next issue!

Task Force Z 1 I feel I should like this issue better...but I don't like Jason Todd in here. It feels forced.

Justice League America 52-61 Okay, even I could only take the bwahahaha League for so long. So much reading for many...poor issues, tbh. I really blew through a lot of them to get to where Jurgens takes over art and writing. I understand this must have been a pretty low point, but hey the young gun of DC Jurgens was really taking off at this time!!

New Teen Titans 42-45 Not sure I can keep up with this...Wolfman's love of those Frightful Five losers...I HATE Danny Chase, or whatever the name is of that stupid shit kid...Brother Blood's daughter being born, the machinations of Wildebeest (which, admittedly, I'm warming up to), but..it doesn't feel special, and I skip so much of the issues. 80s narration is doing me in.

Batman 116 I like this Scarecrow! I like this Arc! I wanna see where it keeps going!!!

Batman/Superman Authority special 1 ...the hell? Why is Superman's mini series suddenly taken over by Batman's titling? Piss off mopey rich kid! That said, I did not appreciate this, nor like this. And I thought all the Dark Energy multiverse was gone and done. Or maybe that's how I want it to be. Sigh....

Superman '78 3 Guilty pleasure, but Robert Venditti does these characters perfectly RIGHT and the story feels so good in the vein of the money. A must read for me!!

Human Target 1 Yup, Perry and Jeff were right. Read this. Great first issue. Great, great first issue.

Dark Knights of Steel 1 I can't wait to read this for a year! Awesome start to an Elseworlds story that had MEAT in the first issue!!

Batman 224-240 Going in the way way back machine to read Batman drawn by Neal Adams! Irv Novick! Robin the Teen Wonder! 42 page spectuculars and reprints! Denny O'Neil writing! Some really good stuff through all this, really! And where I'm at in the publishing...I'm still 2 years away from being born!!!

The Swamp Thing 6-9 Because Perry really wanted me to read it. So I have. And I liked it. But I feel I'm missing part of your enthusiasm for why it really hit for you....I gotta remember to ask about that...but I have been devouring comics like mad...

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 02:22:42 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Maestro World War M #1
Devil’s Reign #4
The Secret X-Men #1

DC Universe Infinite
The Joker #9      
Action Comics #1036
L.E.G.I.O.N. #14
L.E.G.I.O.N. #15
L.E.G.I.O.N. #16
L.E.G.I.O.N. #17
L.E.G.I.O.N. #18

ComiXology Unlimited
Last Flight Out #6
Radio Spaceman #2
Black Hammer Reborn #11

Maestro World War M #1 - Yay! First issue is just as good as the previous mini’s.  Looking forward to this war and seeing Maestro go up against these characters.

Devil’s Reign #4 - Another good issue.  I actually liked all the scenes and looking forward to next issue.  Perfect cliffhanger and probably what this all was leading up to.

The Secret X-Men #1 - Cannonball! Sunspot! Boom-Boom! Strong Guy! Banshee! Marrow! Forge! Armor! Tempo? These are some of my favorite X-Men and easily should make a great team! Sadly, the writing on this issue was not the best.  I’m in for the first arc only for me love of the characters.  Hoping the writing gets better.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 02:30:05 AM »

Maestro World War M 1 Yes! Keep it going PAD! Oh..oh...the final page is Peter David's sweet memory of his first time meeting George Perez and getting him to draw Future Imperfect. This was only back when it was announced that Perez was terminal. Sad to read it just a week or so later from his actual death...

I read that tribute to Perez as well. Very nice.  And reading made me realize that I may not have read that Hulk Future Imperfect mini by David & Perez.  Gotta find that here and add that to my download list!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 04:07:40 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Maestro World War M #1
Devil’s Reign #4
The Secret X-Men #1

DC Universe Infinite
The Joker #9      
Action Comics #1036

L.E.G.I.O.N. #14
L.E.G.I.O.N. #15
L.E.G.I.O.N. #16
L.E.G.I.O.N. #17
L.E.G.I.O.N. #18

ComiXology Unlimited
Last Flight Out #6
Radio Spaceman #2
Black Hammer Reborn #11

Batman: The Imposter #2 - Loved it.  This is a gritty, tough as nails, Batman story. And Sorrentino’s art is perfect for it.

Justice League: Last Ride #7 - Nice ending. Not an epic story overall but one I enjoyed.

The Joker #9    - That was some sick an twisted stuff.  Looks like we’re heading into the final act with a plot twist that will permanently impact Commissioner Gordon!

Action Comics #1036 - Allright! I like the start of the Warworld story arc with Superman and the Authority.  I’m in.  I skipped the Guardian backup story.  Wasn’t interested.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 09:01:47 PM »

Jimmy coming strong, two weeks or not, that is a list worthy of Jeff.
 Cheesy

I read that tribute to Perez as well. Very nice.  And reading made me realize that I may not have read that Hulk Future Imperfect mini by David & Perez.

WHA?!?!?! Holy crap!!! That is shocking to me for some reason.

Gotta find that here and add that to my download list!

Yes, a fix is in order  Grin Wonder how it will hit for you this much later. Hope it holds up. I almost has to  Smiley (Regardless, at least you get some "new-to-you" Perez art!!! That is a win by itself!!

So far... hope to stay on top of this this week.... (Although I thought I read two last night but only see one now. Must have thrown it in with last weeks. Ha, that's what happens.
 Smiley

Secret X-Men #1 - Don't mind "Piiiigs innn Spaaace"  Wink but didn't fall for this one. I'm out

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 03:18:26 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Maestro World War M #1
Devil’s Reign #4
The Secret X-Men #1

DC Universe Infinite
The Joker #9      
Action Comics #1036

L.E.G.I.O.N. #14
L.E.G.I.O.N. #15
L.E.G.I.O.N. #16
L.E.G.I.O.N. #17
L.E.G.I.O.N. #18

ComiXology Unlimited
Last Flight Out #6
Radio Spaceman #2
Black Hammer Reborn #11

Last Flight Out #6 - Final issue.  A good end to this mini series, the end results of which will spin off into two new mini’s.  And I’m hooked.  Looking forward to picking those two up in the near future.

Radio Spaceman #2 - Fun end to this two parter.  I like Radio Spaceman and would love to see more.

Black Hammer Reborn #11 - Ok and we’re back here again.  I guess we’ve come full circle to get us to the end.  Hoping for a big ending next issue.

Uncanny X-Men (1987) #212 & 213 - This picks up at the end of the Morlock massacre by the Marauders.  Wolvie fights Sabertooth.  And Psylocke and Dazzler are reintroduced.  The new team is building and it’s just as fun as I remembered.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 12:38:49 PM »

Last of My DC

Robin & Batman GREAT. I was saying that there have been so many over examinations of every hero origin; obviously look at Batman and Superman! Look who is just as old as all of them-Robin! Dick Grayson! I really enjoyed reading this, and really look forward to all the rest of the other 2 issues!!

Batman The Imposter I still dig the team on this book. I like this take on a Batman who is truly adrift and bereft of anyone. And I really enjoy the use of Ventriloquest and Ratcatcher in such different forms.

Aquaman Deep Dives 1-4 I think these are the Digitoal only stories, ore some of the stories released in the Walmart aisles like 5 years back? Some good art, I think 2 worthwhile stories. Issue 3 was awful. But enough classic feeling Aquaman stories to make me smile.

Wonder Woman 781 I really didn't like much of this creative team in the first 8 or 10 or 12 issues they've done with Diana's romp through weird god heaven places, nor with Janus being spllit. Yet this single issue intrigued me and had me go "I want to read more of THIS story"

Batman Urban Legends 9 Tweedle Dee/Dum story I didnt' feel like reading right away, but then I got into it. Batwoman story was cool.Future State is still nohting you can convince me to read.

Justice League America 62-63 Just more from the way way back machine. I loved then, and  yeah, still do love Dan Jurgens. I believe I am fully in the know about Bloodwynd's secret and origin, but not the why of it.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 03:51:09 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Maestro World War M #1
Devil’s Reign #4
The Secret X-Men #1

DC Universe Infinite
The Joker #9      
Action Comics #1036

L.E.G.I.O.N. #14
L.E.G.I.O.N. #15
L.E.G.I.O.N. #16
L.E.G.I.O.N. #17
L.E.G.I.O.N. #18

ComiXology Unlimited
Last Flight Out #6
Radio Spaceman #2
Black Hammer Reborn #11

Uncanny X-Men (1987) #214 - A story in Dallas and Dazzler joins the team!  So fun watching them come together.

Uncanny X-Men (1987) #215 - Introduction to some new “villains”.  Madeleine Pryor story develops.  Multiple mysteries develop. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS