HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 12:39:18 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, April 25, 2022  (Read 2377 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 24, 2022, 09:23:29 PM »

Big week for comics!  Looking forward to jumping into these.

Marvel Unlimited
Devil’s Reign #3
Death of Doctor Strange #5
X-Men #7
Thor #21
She-Hulk #1
Silver Surfer Rebirth #1
Devil’s Reign: X-Men #1
Devil’s Reign: Villains For Hire #1
Eternals #9
Strange Academy #15

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing 85
The Flash 775
Batman/Catwoman 8
Suicide Squad 8
Batman Secret Files: Peacekeeper 1

ComiXology Unlimited
Saga #57
Newburn #5

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 12:42:47 AM »

Misprint on the release calendar.  Deleting the ones that didn’t release today.

Marvel Unlimited
She-Hulk #1
Silver Surfer Rebirth #1
Eternals #9
Strange Academy #15

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing 85
The Flash 775
Batman/Catwoman 8
Suicide Squad 8

ComiXology Unlimited
Saga #57
Newburn #5

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 03:18:05 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
She-Hulk #1
Silver Surfer Rebirth #1

Eternals #9
Strange Academy #15

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing 85
The Flash 775
Batman/Catwoman 8
Suicide Squad 8

ComiXology Unlimited
Saga #57
Newburn #5

She-Hulk #1 - Good start.  Hopefully it keeps up a good pace.  Looks promising with the cliffhanger.

Silver Surfer Rebirth #1 - another good first issue. I like the cast of characters in this book. And there’s nothing like a Captain Marvel mystery to keep my interest.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 01:20:51 PM »

Knocked out a few this morning ...

Strange Academy #15 - Who'd a thunk it? That this title (or any new Marvel title for that matter) would make it all the way to fifteen issues? Certainly not me. Glad it did, but... yeah, but... I am worried this arc is too much like the last one. Although we are getting more characters involved this time so maybe it will play out differently tonally, but it sure "feels" the same for me as of now  Undecided

Silver Surfer: Rebirth #1 - Always happy to see an old CrossGen member get big-two work (thoroughly enjoyed his Sojourn stuff) and so I am happy to see Ron Marz on a classic style Silver Surfer. Marvel seems to be finding success in this style of "rehashing late 80's early 90's" comics and I enjoyed this one. Who knows, maybe I will try some of the X-Men stuff at some point

Hulk #3 - This one brought the story tighter together and I finally felt like there is a goal to this book other than smashing shit.  Grin Loved Ottley's graphic panel/page with "Wolverine"  Cheesy Yeah, I enjoyed this as well.

She-Hulk #1 - The ending was somewhat spoiled for me a few months ago,
but I do enjoy me some Jack of Hearts. I am hoping for this to be an even more pleasurable pairing than the Tony/Patsy combo was for me back in Iron Man. It was fun for a while at least Undecided
This was a good book from top to bottom. Enjoyed the art and found it very, VERY reminiscent of Stuart Immonen, especially early in the issue (odd that it did change a tad towards the end, but then came back) and I think writer Rainbow Rowell did a great job showing Jennifer's personality and character.  I still have Eternals to read as I was trying to save my favorite for last, but this may very well jump into that "favorite of the week" spot. I truly enjoyed this relaunch/reset/redo of both the title and the main character and am 100% stoked for this.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 11:16:33 PM »

boy oh boy what did I already do?

MARVEL
Lets go down the nostalgia lane quite heavily!

Jeff Lemire Moon Knight 1-15 a Reread, just to ...get myself much more in the frame of mind for what the show may be pushing towards

Silver Surfer Rebirth 1 Yeah, the Rons return! I'm happy to follow these guys around in the waywayback machine to see of times, with a mystery that could only affect the Surfer!

Ben Reilly Spider-man 1 JM Dematteis returns to his Spider-man time with Ben Reilly in the original times! Neat! COOL ending!!!

Darkhawk 5 a pleasant read, a little hope, and nice nod. It was fine, but more nostalgic than anything

She-hulk 1 A really good start. Lots of teasing about what the book's focus will be, the art was really nice and strong, and hey, a mystery final panel!

Daredevil Woman without Fear 1 I think I read this last week. A bit of a tweak to Elektra's past, but I think it's gonna work!

HULK 3 I like Ottley here, and I like what's happening

Amazing Spider-man 86 It's...okay. More is actually not better in publishing this many average Spidey comics in a month

Avengers 33-47, 46 The first storyline was Age of Khonshu, and for a full arc, it was befuddling exactly why any of this was truly happening. Something with Mephisto, that was really all the barebones explanations it got. Then I skipped the stupid Phoenix stuff, and came to the first part of World war She hulk, because I also had just read her first issue here. And Iv'e come back to the conclusion that this title is not anything worth reading at all.

DC
My nostalgic reading here!

Justice League America (1985) 38-40, 43-45; fun looking back at a good Despero arc with him returning for revenge, and then a skip in DCI for a reporter who gets a bunch of nobodies gear and the problems with that! Ice and Guy take a second date! Also Mr Miracle dies..but then is not dead right away! And Booster quits!

New Teen Titans 39-41 39 was AN AMAZING ISSUE. Kori takes Raven to an island, they have naked/girl bonding time all week, and the guys all chill out. No fighting, no costumes, and it was great! Then the Wildebeest returns.... Blech

Superman '78 1 & 2 Told you it was all nostalgia! And what couldn't be more nostaligic than this! And I enjoyed it! Thank you Venditti for lots of great channeling of these movie characters!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 07:16:41 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 02:41:19 AM »

And I've finished all my new DC releases! I'll report tomorrow about all of it

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 11:27:44 AM »

Aquamen #3
Dark Knights of Steel #6
Deathstroke, Inc #8... Shadow War tie-in
Justice League #75... curious to see who and how
Rogue Sun #3
Trial of the Amazons #2... final chapter

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 01:00:07 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
She-Hulk #1
Silver Surfer Rebirth #1

Eternals #9
Strange Academy #15

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing 85
The Flash 775
Batman/Catwoman 8
Suicide Squad 8

ComiXology Unlimited
Saga #57
Newburn #5

Moving a little slow this week but I’m making progress.

Devil’s Reign: Villains For Hire #1 - They got me with the cliffhanger. Otherwise just a plain first issue. I didn’t really care for this version of the Thunderbolts, except for Taskmaster. But with the cliffhanger, I’m in for the miniseries.

Devil’s Reign: X-Men #1 - Read Devil’s Reign: Villains For Hire #1 first. Not that these are connected.  They are not but there is some crossover with characters. And reading this first could spoil Villains For Hire. As a first issue this was fair. The art is kind of elementary but it’s not a bad issue. We will have to see what issue two has to bring.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 04:54:01 PM »

Finished my weekly pull of Marvel a couple days ago and then knocked out a few more waiting for my Endo this morning

Eternals #9 - Ribic not doing 10 of the 20 some pages hurt, but not detrimentally. Started slow, as usual, but
by the end we see this is leading us to a confrontation with another Marvel team
and that, I have to say, is something I am excited to see.

Nightwing #85 - Different artist for this Fear State crossover. Not the best, not the worst, not close to Renaldo  Cheesy even though they try to copy his art style the Nightwing's Billy-Club panels  Smiley. An okay issue, not the best, not the worst.  Cheesy

Swamp Thing #6
Swamp Thing #7
Swamp Thing #8
- Enjoyed this little arc of this new Swamp Thing's mini. No... wait... that doesn't sound right. Haha. I remember reading issue #1 not too long ago and not feeling it so I have no idea what gave me the compulsion to try this again... at this point no less... but I'm glad I jumped back into this where I did. I don't feel like I missed much, what little I know I missed is explained right at the beginning of issue 6 so yeah, a great "jumping on point" Haha. Probably going to finish out the last two issues of the mini, but if I don't, if I change my mind, I still feel I got a good little story here just in these issues. Swamp Thing vs Peacemaker, Parasite, Chemo and Heatwave! Yeah, a nice 3 and done as it were. Smiley

Newburn #1 (Reread)
Newburn #2
Newburn #3
- So much for me staying away from purchases. Crap. This is a cool crime title. I think Jeff also said the same about That Texas Blood being pretty good as well. As I am in a crime mood, may try that also.
(Crap  Undecided)

Strange Academy #15
Silver Surfer: Rebirth #1
Hulk #3
She-Hulk #1

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 08:59:25 PM »

Newburn #3[/color] - So much for me staying away from purchases. Crap. This is a cool crime title. I think Jeff also said the same about That Texas Blood being pretty good as well. As I am in a crime mood, may try that also.
(Crap  Undecided)

I did!  And you should!  I like both Newburn and That Texas Blood.  Fun crime comics.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 05:01:14 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
She-Hulk #1
Silver Surfer Rebirth #1

Eternals #9
Strange Academy #15

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing 85
The Flash 775
Batman/Catwoman 8
Suicide Squad 8
Batman Secret Files: Peacekeeper 1 - I thought this was something else. Striking out because I have no interest in this comic.

ComiXology Unlimited
Saga #57
Newburn #5

Eternals #9 - Good ending to this battle though the war will continue. Makes me look forward to the upcoming crossover now.

Strange Academy #15 - another great issue and I like the way they are bringing in normal kids issues but in a “magic“ kind of way. How is that for cryptic? LOL. Definitely don’t want to spoil anything but this is a great comic.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 05:02:52 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 07:37:48 PM »

Was talking about artists with the guys that I think DC has a better stable of above average artists, and 2-3 of my reads this week had fill-in artists for parts 3 and 4 of their respective arcs-and they weren't particularly amazing!  Grin

DC BOOKS

Batman 115 ok, the fill-in artist on this arc. I still like Fear State...but this issue felt a bit like....ok, it was the exposition part of the story Cheesy

Nightwing The other fill-in artist, on the tie-in stuff for Fear State. I still liked it! Although it feels weak whenever Oracle gets compromised

Batman/Catwoman 8 I got back into this issue as a stand alone read much better than last ish. IT's getting creepy now....

Superman: Son of Kal-El 3 Another fill in artist...I think. Very weird to just have the Kents be like 'hey farm blowing up ain't no thang; we're salt of the earth people who heal with hugs. everthangs' FINE' But I like the set up of the 'villain' antagonist

Superman Red and Blue 1 Been sitting in my queue for the longest time, so I gave it a read. Some stuff I REALLY enjoyed reading. Rather like distilling Superman down to his best parts, and then writing short stories about them. I enjoy-particularly when I see Mark Waid in the queue!

Flash 775 What a weird, weird issue. Sees old classic villain return, but with Wally being like, "nothing weird really does not phase me or push my needle anymore" it's so...odd or jarring! But I do want to read what's next, just because I the time.

Green Lantern 7 I know this title only goes to 12, so I'll read this. John's travels in time and space are...weird. And then Kid Lantern gets an emotional save. Fine.  Whatevs. Again, I got time, so put this out of its misery in the next half year...oh, it has!!

Shazam! 4 I just want to read a great Shazam book! Why does Clayton Henry draw all his heads too small for the bodies?! It's terrible looking! And here's a potential big storyline for the character...which will most likely be lost or forgotten in the upcoming year....

Suicide Squad 8 In hell! I liked reading this, mostly for Talon, and Match, and to see Waller get it taken to her! I'm with Flag!

Nubia & the Amazons 1 I really feel I have no clue as to what this book is doing, or what it's about, or what in the hell things are going on! Why am I reading? Because I want to find out what IS happening!!! Wink

History reading....

Lois Lane 1-12 It's the big maxi-series by Greg Rucka and Mike Perkins. Perkins looks...poor most times with his figurework throughout the series. Inking was not helpful to the story in many parts. I ...guess it was fine, but the story floundered, went in slow routes, and was very depended on knowing what was going on throughout the DC world (ie Leviathan, Lois in pictures showing her kissing Superman, being called a slut, Jon going to outerspace with her and Zor-El, the Legion of Superheroes pulling Jon forward)...it didn't seem a good solid story on its own through its 12 issues. It was neat to see and know that *this* Lois was from other universe before being folded in, and her knowing who people were from the other universe, and manipulating things she needed to help a friend.
-but it's nothing I intend to ever tell people to read.

Justice League America 46-51; continuing my journey through the yesteryear of this title, but honestly, way past it's greatest years, its far easier to scan than actually read. And I'm scanning through it fiercely, but there are times where I stop to come back and read it tightly. Its just when the writing purposefully keeps the characters into the caricature cutouts of who each person is that I find it highly boring. Fun note! Shiloh is here, being trained by Scot Free, to become Mr. Miracle! I didn't know Shiloh appeared before Grant Morrison's Mr. Miracle stories!!!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 07:39:23 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022, 08:02:31 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
She-Hulk #1
Silver Surfer Rebirth #1

Eternals #9
Strange Academy #15

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing 85
The Flash 775
Batman/Catwoman 8
Suicide Squad 8

ComiXology Unlimited
Saga #57
Newburn #5

Nightwing 85 - I thought this was going to be a skippable issue as it ties into Fear State.  Turns out it’s a pretty darn good issue. And the cliffhanger has drawn me in! 😮

The Flash 775 - well I’m not sure what I think about this issue. The writing seems a little wacky, almost too wacky for Wally and yet I liked it. In the end I kind of liked the entire feel of the issue, sort of like the Flash of old. Especially when I saw the Rainbow Raider L O L. Looks like I’m sticking with this comic for a few more issues.

Batman/Catwoman 8 - I like this comic but sometimes I just don’t get it.  Like this issue.  I didn’t exactly understand what happened or rather what is going on. I think I understand the ending but I’m really not sure. Still, it makes me think so I’m going to say I like this issue.

Suicide Squad 8 - and I’m done with this comic. In fact I think I said that last time I read this and then forgot. I’m just not enjoying this as much as I thought I would. So, I’m out.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2022, 08:09:38 PM »

Suicide Squad 8 In hell! I liked reading this, mostly for Talon, and Match, and to see Waller get it taken to her! I'm with Flag!

Hmmmm.  Glad your enjoying it.  Sadly, I grew tired of it.  I was also only reading it for the Match stuff.

I didn't know Shiloh appeared before Grant Morrison's Mr. Miracle stories!!!

I didn’t know that either!  I may have to pull this up and check it out!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2022, 08:51:12 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
She-Hulk #1
Silver Surfer Rebirth #1

Eternals #9
Strange Academy #15

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing 85
The Flash 775
Batman/Catwoman 8
Suicide Squad 8

ComiXology Unlimited
Saga #57
Newburn #5

Saga #57 - Man this book just continues to be great. I can’t believe we had such a large hiatus but it feels like we never stopped getting this book. The story continues and the intrigue just gets bigger and better. If you’re not getting this you’re really missing out.

Newburn #5 - Great crime book. I really like how these are one and done stories. Another good one, you should check it out if you haven’t already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS