HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:31:26 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Random thoughts on Spider-Man  (Read 1165 times)
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« on: April 21, 2022, 12:25:31 AM »

1.)   He’s a genius but not THAT much.
When folks do their top 10 lists of “smartest Marvel characters in all of space and time and yadda, yadda, yadda” I don’t think Parker should crack the top 50, never mind the top 10.

Yes, Peter Parker is a genius. He’s been so since he first fought the Vulture and put some gizmo together to track Vulture’s flying rig.

That’s more “MacGyver genius” to me. Not “Reed Richards creating wormholes in the bathtub” level uber-genius.

(Plus, the “top 10s” are always more of a popularity contest, since so many lesser known characters get left out. I mean, should Hank McCoy really be smarter than the Leader or High Evolutionary?)

2.)   Spidey and J. Jonah Jameson being friends freaks me out.
This one is a bit unfair of me. I can count on one hand how many new Spider-Man books I’ve read in recent years. Maybe if I was reading it regularly when the two patched things up it would make sense and be a moment of realization, “Yes! This new dynamic totally works and doesn’t take me out of the story at all!”

Since I’m not doing that currently... yeah, the friendship is weird.

3.)   After all these years, I keep coming back to the teacher thing.
Say what you want about the early-2000s “totem stuff.” Say what you want about JMS.

Me? I’m putting that aside for a second. Just think about Parker going back to teaching at Midtown High.

At the time, I believe I said it was the best thing to happen to the character in 15 years. (Or something like that.)

20 years have passed since then (wow) and now I say that Peter Parker becoming a teacher was the best thing to happen to the character in 35 years.  (Again, I’m not a regular reader anymore, but that’s just my take.)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 12:46:20 AM »

GREAT TOPIC!  I'll be coming back to this when I have more time to pontificate but right off the bat - I love the idea of Parker going back to teaching.  More on this later!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 12:07:04 PM »

Ah Tok, glad to see you!

I always have many ideas about what's best for the ol'Webhead!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS