HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:55:01 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, April 11, 2022  (Read 2416 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: April 11, 2022, 01:51:43 PM »

what are you reading? did you finish everything last week?
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 04:09:22 PM »

Smaller list this week since all those Wolverine issues didn’t come out. 

Marvel Unlimited
Inferno #4
X-Men #6
Black Widow #13
Thor #20
Captain Marvel #35

DC Universe Infinite
The Nice House on the Lake 5
Are You Afraid of Darkseid? 1
1st Issue Special (1975) #9 - Dr Fate
L.E.G.I.O.N. #7
L.E.G.I.O.N. #8
L.E.G.I.O.N. #9
L.E.G.I.O.N. #10

ComiXology Unlimited
Little Monsters #1
Last Flight Out #5

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 04:53:53 PM »

Knocked out a couple last night and one this morning from a certain site  Wink I was just in that kind of mood

X-Men #6 - Actually the best this title has had to offer so far. I really enjoyed this one. I had only downloaded it on a whim but when I went to see the X-Guide, flipping to the back of the issue to see where it was to be read (before or after Inferno) I got interested in something I saw before I got to the guide itself. Turned out to be a good thing. Yep, good issue.

Inferno #4 - as stated elsewhere, I really enjoyed this run and this issue. It was a very satisfying end to a great writers run. That said however, I also felt saddened that the story turned out the way it did. Expected. I know I shouldn't have been surprised, but I still managed to be just that when it was all said and done. Happy for the story, sad that it changed very little. And especially saddened we didn't get more of the ramifications of the life/death inner conflict.
Of course after watching this year's Discovery output, the last thing I wanted to read about was feelings  Grin but I did want some more discussions on the philosophical idea that the Mutants were now doing. Oh well, I still walk away happy to have had Hickman on this side of Marvel and can't wait to see what his next plan will be and with what license it will star.

Punisher #1 - I finally broke down and read this issue. I've been hearing about it for awhile and even though it will be hitting the MU soon, I decided to check it out this morning. Man, Ok, this may be big. Not Hickman X-Men big, but for Punisher and his place in the 616? All kinds of big. I will be adding this to my MU list. I am hooked!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 03:59:08 PM »

Flashpoint Beyond #0... SO EXCITED!!!
Superman: Son of Kal-el #10...probably dropping this after the current arc.
Wonder Woman #786....Trial of the Amazon continues.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 07:52:04 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Inferno #4
X-Men #6

Black Widow #13
Thor #20
Captain Marvel #35

DC Universe Infinite
L.E.G.I.O.N. #7
L.E.G.I.O.N. #8
L.E.G.I.O.N. #9
L.E.G.I.O.N. #10

ComiXology Unlimited
Little Monsters #1
Last Flight Out #5

X-Men #6  - I agree with Perry. This was a good issue and the plot is not what I expected.  Looks like we’re getting some good intrigue now.

Inferno #4 - Really good issue even if it left me a little wanting.  Wanting more of a big impact on characters I think.  What Hickman has done of the X-Men is pretty ground breaking but it seems he's only set the new tapestry.  What others do with it will wind up making it epic or a flop.  I hate that.  I wish he could have handled the reigns on everything by himself.  Then, perhaps, it would have been bigger.  But don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed what he's done with the X-Men and what he has done here in Inferno.  Perry, Jimmy, and I are thinking of going back and re-reading the Hickman only issues once the dust has settled.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 07:57:40 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 01:06:06 PM »

Hey Rodney,
You may want to add or at least look at the first issue of the new mini-series "IMAGE" (from Image) that hits today as it contains a Radiant Black story that MAY be impactful? Now I don't know, as I didn't read the issue yet (waiting for the 2nd issue to hit so the price will go down on this 1st issue) and I don't read Radiant Black (and heck, the story may appear elsewhere as well, maybe? Again, I don't know, but just letting you know in case you missed it.
  Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 01:48:46 PM »

Hey Rodney,
You may want to add or at least look at the first issue of the new mini-series "IMAGE" (from Image) that hits today as it contains a Radiant Black story that MAY be impactful? Now I don't know, as I didn't read the issue yet (waiting for the 2nd issue to hit so the price will go down on this 1st issue) and I don't read Radiant Black (and heck, the story may appear elsewhere as well, maybe? Again, I don't know, but just letting you know in case you missed it.
  Cool

Thanks for the tip! I saw that in the weekly previews and wondered about it. It has Radiant Black on one of its covers. Going to my LCS after work and then a couple pints with my fellow geeks.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 05:00:51 PM »

Right on!!
Enjoy!
Hopefully both... the book/story and the beverages Grin

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2022, 10:35:45 AM »

Right on!!
Enjoy!
Hopefully both... the book/story and the beverages Grin

Happy Thursday! Picked up the last copy of Image #1 and it was new short story, but part 1 of 4.   Grin Grin Grin
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2022, 12:36:21 PM »

I’m not adding them to my list this week, but MU finally put all those X Deaths of Wolverine an X Lives of Wolverine comics up.  I’ll read them next week but they are there now if you want to get them.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2022, 02:03:55 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Inferno #4
X-Men #6

Black Widow #13
Thor #20
Captain Marvel #35

DC Universe Infinite
L.E.G.I.O.N. #7
L.E.G.I.O.N. #8
L.E.G.I.O.N. #9
L.E.G.I.O.N. #10

ComiXology Unlimited
Little Monsters #1
Last Flight Out #5

Black Widow #13 - flashback to Natasha’s first meeting with the Living Blade.  Weird seeing her in her ‘90’s costume with the short hair but fun battle sequences.  I’m still enjoying this comic.

Thor #20 - I enjoyed this up to the big reveal. Then I rolled my eyes. I’m sure it will be fine and the story will be ok when it’s all said and done.  I was just hoping for a better villain.

Captain Marvel #35 - the return of a Jimmy favorite plus an interesting twist on a Carol previous identity! I really do like this book and it continues to deliver.

Little Monsters #1 - Sold! Character intro issue but I like it.  Interesting personalities and a mysterious plot. Another Lemire hit?

Last Flight Out #5 - Penultimate issue.  The journey comes close to the end and how they’re going to catch that last flight is made even harder!  Looking forward to next issues conclusion.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2022, 08:04:06 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Inferno #4
X-Men #6

Black Widow #13
Thor #20
Captain Marvel #35

DC Universe Infinite

L.E.G.I.O.N. #7
L.E.G.I.O.N. #8
L.E.G.I.O.N. #9
L.E.G.I.O.N. #10

ComiXology Unlimited
Little Monsters #1
Last Flight Out #5

The Nice House on the Lake 5 - the more we learn, the more questions we get.  More progression but a twist!

Are You Afraid of Darkseid? 1 - made it through 5 pages and realized this wasn’t for me.  Skipped it.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2022, 08:54:17 PM »

Avengers #50 - Reading issue #51 and Avegners Forever has me more excited about the Avengers than I have been in a long time, so I went back, added this from a couple months ago and read it. Yep, I am back on Avengers baby! Even though Aaron is still not the best for this title, this does seem better, but I think the art now being "McGuinness free" helps me to enjoy it so much more. And I like McGuinness art, just not on Avengers... or anything not Hulk related. He draws everyone like they are Hulk, so he needs to stay on a title with that character  Tongue

Thor #20 - Ending was, expected, but yeah, I dig it.

Thor #257 (1977)
Thor #258 (1977)
- Good, but typical big daddy Buscema on Thor in the '70s stuff but with Grey Gargoyle!!! Funny how this ended. During a battle between Thor, Gargoyle and Thor's entourage against some Space Pirates, Gargoyle tries to sneak off and steal a ship to get back to Earth, but one of the pirates, the lion faced "Free-Lon", follows the Gargoyle. During a battle for control of the ship, the Gargoyle accidently touches the flight control panel and, of course, turned it to stone, rendering it useless and thus sending him and his opponent hurling into the void of space. Looking forward to the next two or three issue arc!!

Black Widow #13 - I read this as well! I saw the old costume on the cover and got some good feels. I didn't know it was going to be a story that was based in the time period of that costume, just got excited enough about the cover to give it a shot. I will read the next one, not sure I will come back permanently though

X Lives of Wolverine #1
X Deaths of Wolverine #1
X Lives of Wolverine #2
X Deaths of Wolverine #2
X-Lives of Wolverine #3
Different stories for each title, but I am reading this in the order of release, not title order. I have a feeling it will finish better that way. Maybe? I will say that I have enjoyed this, both of these.
Slight theme/direction spoilers in the Spoilers below, not story spoilers, but still...
"X Deaths of..." feels more like a continuation of Inferno (because it is) while "X Lives..." is the Wolverine story. But again, I see a convergence soon
Also I think Percy, as a writer, has gotten much better. I haven't had more than one or two problems with his usual pacing/clunky storytelling through 5 full issues. That is pretty damn good considering that was my problem I had with his writing. I think if he keeps this up I will be on Wolverine proper after this is done. Good job Percy!

X-Men #6
Inferno #4
Punisher #1

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022, 02:25:32 PM »

Just a couple more done.
Not sure I will make it to finishing the Wolverine stuff by midnight, but who knows. It's early still

Funny how one week goes by and I can barely get three comics read but then another week comes along and I can rip through more than 12. Including some Bronze Age comics where one comic is often equivalent to reading four or five of today's offerings.
Time. What a bitch

X Deaths of Wolverine #3
X Lives of Wolverine #4
X Deaths of Wolverine #4
- I think I said earlier that I had been enjoying the X "Deaths" title better, but I got that wrong. I enjoyed the X "Lives" a tad more. Of course as we're winding down this title-mash-up mini, it doesn't much matter now

X-Men #6
Inferno #4
Punisher #1
Avengers #50
Thor #20
Thor #257 (1977)
Thor #258 (1977)

Black Widow #13
X Lives of Wolverine #1
X Deaths of Wolverine #1
X Lives of Wolverine #2
X Deaths of Wolverine #2
X-Lives of Wolverine #3

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2022, 03:43:26 AM »

I’ll have to get to those LEGION stories next week.  Just got too busy.

Marvel Unlimited
Inferno #4
X-Men #6

Black Widow #13
Thor #20
Captain Marvel #35

DC Universe Infinite

L.E.G.I.O.N. #7
L.E.G.I.O.N. #8
L.E.G.I.O.N. #9
L.E.G.I.O.N. #10

ComiXology Unlimited
Little Monsters #1
Last Flight Out #5

1st Issue Special (1975) #9 - Dr Fate - That was a fun one shot to read. Reminds of how I used to love Dr Fate.  I’m glad he’s in the backup JL Dark stories in Justice League but wish we got more of him.  Hopefully more will come in future JSA.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS