HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:35:29 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, March 28, 2022  (Read 2629 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: March 27, 2022, 04:29:01 PM »

Thought I’d go ahead and get this started.

Marvel Unlimited
Devil’s Reign #2
Death of Doctor Strange #4
Hawkeye: Kate Bishop #2
Kang the Conquerer #5
X-Men: The Trial of Magneto #5
Moon Knight #6
Wolverine #19

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing 84
The Flash 774
Batman: The Detective 5
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow 4

ComiXology Unlimited
Clear #5
Newburn #4
House of Slaughter #5
Locke & Key/Sandman: Hell & Gone #2
Basilisk #7
Basilisk #8

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 08:42:30 PM »

Well as I don't see myself reading anything tonight as my daughter is stopping by pretty late and I will most likely crash, hard, right after, I may as well move the rest of mine over and start anew, adding all the other stuff I was going to try and read this coming week as well

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Thor #254 (1976)
Thor #255 (1977)
Thor #256 (1977)
Eternals #8
Hulk #2
Strange Academy #14
Kang the Conqueror #5
Avengers Forever #1
Avengers #51 (New arc has Deathloks! Yeah, gotta try)

DC INFINITE
Superman and the Authority #3
Rorschach #5
Rorschach #6
Nightwing 84

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Black Hammer #9
Silver Coin #6
Silver Coin #7
Silver Coin #8
Silver Coin #9

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 04:00:11 AM »

Crikey!! ON a Sundaynight?! How will I keep up with this?!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Grin

DC INFINTE

Nightwing 84
Batman 113
The Flash 774
Shazam 3
Aquaman: The Becoming

I think the last week of the month is my favorite DC week

MARVEL UNLIMITED

Devil's Reign 2
Death of Dr. Strange 4
Amazing Spider-man 83
Kang the Conqueror! 5
Iron man 15 (& 16 I have secretly stashed!)
Trial of Magneto 5
Moon Knight 6
Amazing Spider-man 82

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 06:44:10 PM »

Looks like Marvels release calendar is wrong again.  Devil’s Reign and Death of Doctor Strange didn’t come out this week either.  They were originally listed to come out last week.

Marvel Unlimited
Devil’s Reign #2

Kang the Conquerer #5
Moon Knight #6
Wolverine #19

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing 84
The Flash 774

ComiXology Unlimited
Clear #5
Newburn #4
House of Slaughter #5
Basilisk #7
Basilisk #8

Clear #5 - I’m finally giving up on this.  Just couldn’t hold my interest and is kind of a muddled mess of a story.  Even free I’m dropping this.

House of Slaughter #5 - Glad that’s over.  Almost had me pulled back in but went for the sappy ending instead of the shocking brutal one.  Lost opportunity with this one.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 09:09:53 PM »

Looks like Marvels release calendar is wrong again.  Devil’s Reign and Death of Doctor Strange didn’t come out this week either.  They were originally listed to come out last week.

I asked Reddit: Marvel Unlimited about this and was told that they were up last night, but must have had problems and they took them down.
If that is the case, I hope they will have them back up this week

House of Slaughter #5 - Glad that’s over. 

Whoa!!! I almost got all these. I guess I should maybe wait on this and pick just back up with SIKTC when it returns with #22?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 01:45:22 PM »

Coming tomorrow in my pull:
Aquamen #2
Batman: Shadow War Alpha
Radiant Black #13
Rogue Sun #2

and thanks to eBay, I found a copy of DC's Very Merry Multiverse #1
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 02:59:23 AM »

FINISHED!!!

DC INFINTE

Nightwing 84; Aw, Bludhaven exploits interrupted by Fear State, but if I can watch the Dynamic Duo act together, then I'm all for it

Batman 113 It takes a good writer to seamlessly fit in something from a character's past, make it seem natural, and just make it work. I love Ghost-maker. I ...think it's been a really great thing for the title, and Bruce, since having lost a Father-figure, to get, like, a man-friend who is better in sync with Bruce, than, oh yeah, way better in sync than Clark. I'm really liking where Batman stuff is at right now.

Miracle Molly; just skip this. And fast.

The Flash 774 A cute little story of Daddy and his little girl. Innocuous, sweet, and nothing more than that.

Batman: The Detective 5 You go Taylor! What a cool read! Loving Kubert's art here. Can't wait for the finale! What a great endeavor for a story.

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow 4 King, you are amazing. The way you write Supergirl here makes me go "Superman who? This woman here has strength beyond any muscle you use. Wonder Woman? The gentility, love, and war you can bring is nothing in comparison to the Last Daughter of Krypton." I love this book.

Shazam 3 DC BRING ME A SHAZAM BOOK TO READ WITH DIRECTION!!! This issue got better since it got to the point, but that makes the first 2 issues feel really that much more worthless than I originally thought.

Aquaman: The Becoming A story of growth for Jackson Hyde? I'm down. Art is pretty good, but the cliffhanger just makes me groan because of the obnoxious trope of it.

I think the last week of the month is my favorite DC week  It is! It truly is!

MARVEL UNLIMITED

Devil's Reign 2 -they lied to me!
Death of Dr. Strange 4-they lied to me again!
Amazing Spider-man 83-why do you treat me so bad and keep LYING?!!!

Kang the Conqueror! 5 Great read. Loved it. Bring on Timeless!!!! More of this more of this please!!

Iron man 15 (& 16 I have secretly stashed!) The same thing happens that happens to all good heroes who become cosmic-their good intentions do pave a way to hell. *yawn* I guess.

Trial of Magneto 5 The last 2 issues of this have been gunk, and this one...well, I guess it saves things in the end because what that confusion brought means BIGGER THAN BIG CHANGES GOING FORWARD!!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Moon Knight 6 I think I had Moon Knight 7 already downloaded, then deleted it! D'oh! I like this title. I'm in for it each time.

Amazing Spider-man 82 This issue was a fill in, I think, well, I believe. It was written by Saladin Ahmed, who writes Miles Morales, Spider-man. And it's pedestrian, and this is pedestrian as well. It's a one note story, and lacks any nuance. Blah. Makes me really think quitting ASM might be what I should do, since 81 was really ...poor too. So was 80 with that damned Kraven nonsense.

There we go! Just thought of my next "Rant within; enter at your own risk" post-why I hate Kraven so much!!!
 Grin Cheesy Grin

Avengers Forever  I like the Avengers Forever title of a story by Peter David from back in the day much better. This is a ... multiverse story. A What if...? thing. First issue was okay. I realize it's all set up, so...I got set up. Why not read some more?

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 03:09:08 AM »

Ya know...I may actually come to a point, after my Justice League International re-start and my New Teen Titans journey of discovery that I may just...go to the CD-Rom I have of 8 years of Valiant comics. Like the GOOD/GREAT Valiant that once was before getting bought out by a movie company.

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 11:51:06 AM »

Yeah, Avengers Forever definitely feels like a What if/Exiles series.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 07:44:17 PM »

House of Slaughter #5 - Glad that’s over. 

Whoa!!! I almost got all these. I guess I should maybe wait on this and pick just back up with SIKTC when it returns with #22?

I didn't care for it.  It's about a lesser side character and his history.  If your a big fan of that character you might enjoy it but I didn't feel like it brought anything new to the story.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 02:40:14 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Kang the Conquerer #5
Moon Knight #6

Wolverine #19

DC Universe Infinite
ADD: 1st Issue Special #8 (1975) - The Warlord
Nightwing 84

The Flash 774

ComiXology Unlimited
Clear #5
Newburn #4
House of Slaughter #5
Basilisk #7
Basilisk #8

Hawkeye: Kate Bishop #2 - I’ve got mixed feelings.  I want to get to the bottom of this mystery.  But it’s written so juvenile that it’s hard to get through.  I’m sure I’ll be back next issue.

Kang the Conquerer #5 - Great ending to a great book.  So glad another mini is coming contueing Kang’s journeys through time.  Big thumbs up for this series.

X-Men: The Trial of Magneto #5 - So does this ending mean they
framed Toad?
If so then I don’t like that. I do like that they
brought Thunderbird back
finally. That will prove interesting in future stories. But as far as this mini series overall? Not very good. But things coming out of it will effect things in the future.

Moon Knight #6 - End of this arc and end of my reading this series.  Didn’t enjoy this issue as much as the lead up to it.  Wasn’t necessarily a bad ending but I’m just not interested in reading these characters in this setting. Surprisingly since I do love that Tigra’s in it.

1st Issue Special #8 (1975) - The Warlord - Loved this trip down memory lane.  The first appearance of Mike Grell’s Warlord.  Nice little setup issue for the introduction of the series. Plus a bio page of this new creator, some guy named Mike Grell. An aspiring cartoonist from Wisconsin who wandered his way into DC to pitch this very series! He walked out with an Aquaman script to illustrate and the rest is history.  DC needs to digitize the rest of this series so I can re-read it!

Nightwing 84 - Too bad this got pulled into the Fear State event but even so it was a good issue on its own.  I don’t like the art sadly, but I’m still in the story. Plus, gotta love anything with a pet dog.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2022, 04:41:32 PM »

[...] I may just...go to the CD-Rom I have of 8 years of Valiant comics. Like the GOOD/GREAT Valiant that once was before getting bought out by a movie company.

SAH-WEET!!!

Yeah, Avengers Forever definitely feels like a What if/Exiles series.

Very much like Exiles. For sure. Hope it gets just as fun as that was. I liked the first issue and will be on for a few more

Hawkeye: Kate Bishop #2 - I’ve got mixed feelings.  I want to get to the bottom of this mystery.  But it’s written so juvenile that it’s hard to get through.  I’m sure I’ll be back next issue.

Stop it!! Bad Jeff  Grin Grin
I think I mentioned, after reading the first issue, how this title would be good for a much younger reader. Seems like that holds true. But that is not why I am saying to stop reading it (I enjoy a young read every once in awhile), you know why. You know why
 Cheesy

Kang the Conquerer #5 - Great ending to a great book.  So glad another mini is coming ...

I think that is only a one-shot, if it is the one I am thinking of. Timeless, yeah? That is a one and done, but maybe you know of another? Either way I will be down for it as I agree, this was good.

1st Issue Special #8 (1975) - The Warlord - Loved this trip down memory lane. 

That Hollow Earth diagram killed me  Cheesy Cheesy

DC needs to digitize the rest of this series so I can re-read it!

YEAH!!!! Everyone should take 2 minutes and let them know just that!!!

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Thor #254 (1976)
Thor #255 (1977)
Thor #256 (1977)
Eternals #8
Hulk #2
Strange Academy #14

Death of Doctor Strange #4 - Next Week
Kang the Conqueror #5
Avengers Forever #1
Avengers #51

DC INFINITE
Rorschach #5
Rorschach #6
Nightwing 84

1st Issue Special #8 - Warlord - ADDED
1st Issue Special #9 - Dr. Fate - ADDED

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Black Hammer #9
Silver Coin #6
Silver Coin #7
Silver Coin #8
Silver Coin #9

Silver Coin - And I am transported back to the arcade.  Smiley A perfect story for me. Not that it was a great story, but I can damn sure relate to dropping tons of Washingtons at the arcade. Especially with that damn Dragon Age game (Still pissed about that game. That shit was hard has hell with that timing that had to be 100% perfect!!  Grin)

Supes and the Authority - Kind of a boring issue for me, but the last few pages made it all worth it!!
"Wait a minute, I don't have a...."  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Rorschach - My word, that issue #6 certainly had enough text to keep me busy. I think that issue took close to an hour to read  Cheesy Good stuff by Tom King

Nightwing - The art didn't bother me, though I understand why Jeff wasn't a fan, but I like a lot of stylized stuff. But yeah, that Feat State intrusion brings the issue down a little, as I no longer plan on reading Fear State.

Batman: The Detective - Man I like the look of this book. Story is fine too, but the look of this is so damn good

Supergirl - Just another great "seeing the results" issue. Will this mini end up being too drawn out, too stretched? I do think it could be, it is a possibility, but so far I just don't care as I am enjoying the ride

1st Issue Specials - We were talking about Warlord a couple days ago and talking about how DCI only has two issue of the series up. I think Jeff brought up Warlord's first appearance, so we had to try it. Haha. Man, a jump in the past it was.
While adding that, I saw the next issue was a Simonson Dr. Fate story so... oh yeah, had to get that as well (enjoyed it)

Avengers and Avengers Forever - I'm on board with both of these.
Not a fan of fucking Echo having the Phoenix Force (Ya know, because she's so damn deserving?)
, but the art is so much better now. Plus, Deathloks!!!! And as stated, AF feels and reads like Exiles. Which hey, I am fine with!!

Trail of Mags - UGH.
More mutants. Great. Lets just give everyone in the damn Marvel universe powers and be done with it! Hate this shit so much. Best 3 words ever spoken "No More Mutants". The "MORE" being the point for me. 50 mutants. no more. Now? millions???
Screw that crap!

Kang - Yeah, I agree with Jeff. And the Timeless one-shot hits Monday!  Smiley

Strange Academy - Ohhhh, great new start to something good. Although I am almost getting tired of one character being so much of a focal point, again, I do get it. It's the long game and I can appreciate that

Hulk - Okay, getting close to having too much "Hulk" here (no, I can't explain that feeling), but as there is a Thor x-over coming soon I am sticking. Oh heck, I would stick any way... for now... but that upcoming "event" has me excited

Eternals - Still towards the top of my favorite Marvel books list

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2022, 11:10:05 PM »

1st Issue Specials - We were talking about Warlord a couple days ago and talking about how DCI only has two issue of the series up. I think Jeff brought up Warlord's first appearance, so we had to try it. Haha. Man, a jump in the past it was.
While adding that, I saw the next issue was a Simonson Dr. Fate story so... oh yeah, had to get that as well (enjoyed it)

I saw that Doctor Fate issue as well and also downloaded it.  Funny we both thought to get it.  I’ll get to it next week.  Grin

I’m probably going to check out that Kirby Manhunter issue and a few others like the New Gods, Starman, Creeper, and Metamorpho.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2022, 11:11:15 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Kang the Conquerer #5
Moon Knight #6

Wolverine #19

DC Universe Infinite
ADD: 1st Issue Special #8 (1975) - The Warlord
Nightwing 84

The Flash 774

ComiXology Unlimited
Clear #5
Newburn #4
House of Slaughter #5
Basilisk #7
Basilisk #8

Wolverine #19 - I really liked this one shot.  A Moby Dick type story with our fine ball of fire mutant Wolverine.

The Flash 774 - I want to like this so bad. Sadly it’s written for decidedly younger audience than me. Just not really enjoying this overall.

Batman: The Detective 5 - The origin of the villain revealed! And I like it.  This continues to be a fun read.

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow 4 - Also still a great book. The weight of this journey is taking its toll on our Super-girl.  Some great story telling here and I enjoy each issue. This one is no exception for me.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2022, 05:33:04 PM »

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Thor #254 (1976)
Thor #255 (1977)

Thor #256 (1977)
Eternals #8
Hulk #2
Strange Academy #14

Kang the Conqueror #5
Avengers Forever #1
Avengers #51

DC INFINITE
Rorschach #5
Rorschach #6
Nightwing 84

1st Issue Special #8 - Warlord - ADDED
1st Issue Special #9 - Dr. Fate - ADDED

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Black Hammer #9
Silver Coin #6
Silver Coin #7
Silver Coin #8
Silver Coin #9

Black Hammer - HA!! Love (what I thought) was a S.H.I.E.L.D and Dum Dum Dugan representation on the first page!! Cheesy Cheesy Subtle, but still the first thing I thought of, until I swiped to the next page and see a couple more agents with the same hats. DOH!! Oh well.
I will add that I think I am at the point, after this mini, where I want to step aside from Black Hammer for awhile. Not sure if it just isn't as "fun" for me or what, but I just know I need a refresh. The last two or three BH stories haven't wowed me and while I enjoyed all the off-shoots (Skull Digger, Frankenstein, etc...), BH proper hasn't hit as strong for me for some time now. But that's okay, that's what happens occasionally when you love something so strongly and for so long  Smiley Sometimes the shine fades but stepping away for a bit can, seemingly miraculously, polish the shit out of the entire thing and bring that luster back!!!  Smiley

Silver Coin - Oh yeah, if you play around with Vegas, you're gonna lose. Especially when you are using a bewitched/demonic coin to give you an advantage and the House knows about it... and wants to play a game of heads or tails with said coin!!  Grin

Thor - Ha, Love how the Norse gods fly around through space on a Viking war-ship and when the sails get damaged they can no longer "sail the space ways". And with issue #255, not only do they get stranded, they are stranded on an asteroid that just happens to have an old foe on the surface! Uh-oh!!
Also funny how whom ever did the cover copy didn't know the story too well as they have the Kronans (from Saturn of course  Wink) threatening our Norse crew that they will be "...dragged beneath the Earth forever", even though, as I stated, they are actually on an asteroid. Oh sure, you could say they were using Earth as earth, but with comics and the constant capital...
 Grin
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 05:34:40 PM by Perry » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS