HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:36:04 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, March 14, 2022  (Read 3451 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2022, 11:41:45 AM »

Redneck #32 [...] The road to the last issue is bloody.

When IS the last issue of this, if you know? Don't want to pick up this arc if it is ending soon. Would rather wait on the trade (if I can get it cheaper)
 Cheesy

I believe issue #34 is the series finale.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2022, 02:21:49 PM »

I believe issue #34 is the series finale.

Thankee  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2022, 02:23:19 PM »

Batman/Superman: World's Finest #1
Batman: Urban Legends #13
Chaos Breaker #9 & 10...freebies at the LCS
Nightwing #90
Titans United #7
Wonder Woman #785...tie in to Trial of the Amazons

You reading any MU stuff, my man?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2022, 05:55:27 PM »

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Inferno #3
Thor #250 (1976)
Thor #251 (1976)
Thor #252 (1976)

Thor #253 (1976)
Marvel Comics Presents #2 (1988)
Marvel Comics Presents #3 (1988)
Marvel Comics Presents #4 (1988)

DC INFINITE
Infinite Frontier #5
Infinite Frontier #6

OTHER PUBLISHERS
The Cimmerian: Hour of the Dragon #1 - Nah
Basilisk #7
Basilisk #8

Cimmerian - This pains me and I may change my mind on this, but I just can't keep paying $4 for a Conan comic. Not for one that is only reprinting stories I have either already read in paperback format or in Marvel versions... although perhaps a little more edited than what Ablaze is doing. Gonna try and wait to see if I can get the trades or issues on sale... cheaper, at some point. I still want the issues, but at $4... it just has to end.

Basilisk - Okay, funny how I went to thinking this series was GOING to end with issue #8, to wishing it did end there. Not a bad issue, but I think to carry this story too much further past a few issues will only hurt it in the long run. I hope I am wrong, but if this issue did end the series (written to be the end I mean, not that the story we got this issue should have been the last story Cheesy) it would have been grand. Now, I don't know.
I do know, I guess I will wait for the rest of the issues to go on-sale before I go further. Or at least I think I will wait. I hope I will.  Cheesy
Again, it wasn't bad, but... yeah, I think it would have been a tighter story had issue #8 been planned as the end. Especially with how tight I felt issues 1-7 were. But hell, I don't know the whole story yet so I may get surprised and end up happy it continued past this point.
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2022, 12:00:16 AM »

I don't think I would expect any series to end on issue 8 anymore.  It seems like most trades have 5 issues in them now and they only write for the trades these days.  Al least that's what it seems like.  So maybe it'll end at issue 10?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2022, 12:17:22 PM »

I don't think I would expect any series to end on issue 8 anymore.  It seems like most trades have 5 issues in them now and they only write for the trades these days.  Al least that's what it seems like.  So maybe it'll end at issue 10?

Smiley
Yeah, it could, for sure.
I know it was odd to think about. I mean, an 8 issue trade? I don't think I have ever seen it (also another reason I thought it would be cool).

However, that said, when you read up to issue #6 I think you will understand why I was leaning that way  Smiley Or at least I HOPE you get why I thought it was ending at #8.
 Wink

I think this may go past 10 now and... I am not sure I will stick around for much more than that. I love this title, but at the same time, I loved the idea of it being a mini, a short mini. I will go for 12 issue, more than I thought or wanted, but if it is more than that I can't see me being on.
But who knows?
 Grin
 Undecided Cry

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2022, 03:48:51 PM »

Surprisingly the Stray Bullets trades collected 9 issues each.  That was good because they’re all pretty quick reads.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2022, 03:53:46 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Giant Size Black Cat: Infinity Score #1
Devil’s Reign #1

Inferno #3
Fantastic Four: Life Story #5

DC Universe Infinite
The Nice House on the Lake #24   
Batman/Catwoman #7   
Suicide Squad #7   
Infinite Frontier #6   
Suicide Squad: Get Joker! #2
Suicide Squad 2021 Annual  #1
Titans United #7

ComiXology Unlimited
Redneck #32
The Silver Coin #9
Time Before Time #10

Noir: A Collection of Crime Comics - Featuring stories by Brian Azzarello, Jeff Lemire, Ed Brubaker, Sean Phillips, and many more of crime comics' top talent!

------------------------------------------------------

Noir: A Collection of Crime Comics -

The Old Silo by Jeff Lemire - Good, short kickoff to the book. But predictable.

Mister X: Yacht on the Styx by Dean Motter - Not very good. Didn’t make any sense.

The Last Hit by Chris Offutt - I liked this one.  Nice twist.

Fracture by Alex de Campi - This was weird.  Trying to be artsy which I can appreciate but too muddled.

The Albanian by M.K. Perker - I liked this one.  Funny ending.

Kane: The Card Player by Paul Grist - another weird one with a confusing end.  Started out good but end was a mess.

Blood on My Hands by Rich Geary - Weird but good.  Nice twist but unsure as to why things changed in the end.

Trustworthy by Ken Lizzi - I skipped this one.  If I want to read a book I’ll buy a book not a comic. 

The New Me by Gary Phillips - ooooh.  Creepy!  Good noir story.

Criminal: 21st Century Noir by Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips - Wow this was the sickest Criminal story I’ve ever read from Brubaker.  Not sure what I think about it.

The Bad Night by Brian Azzarello - Ha ha ha! Good story to end this on. Comic book fans in particular will love this noir story.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2022, 02:37:18 PM »

I want to read this so much!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2022, 03:08:58 PM »

MARVEL UNLIMITED
INFERNO 3 Yup, love Hickman's big plans, his huge amounts of pacing, so many machinations! Great stuff....be sad to see it go...

Amazing Spider-man 80.1 OH man, a .1 issue...but fun with the double entendre's between May and Otto! LOL and its' pretty key to the main storyline too! I'm pleased with the events of this.

Captain America/Iron Man 1
-Okay, cool, a decent start, and I like the known antagonist entity. Glad to read this!

Devil's Reign 1- A decent start, but it...frustrates me so that it just repeats Civil War, , and that no one goes "hey, why is the Rhino and the Shocker, both known criminals and felons, better than Captain America or Iron Man?!!!" That's the stupid pill I have to swallow when reading this.

DC INFINITE

Batman 112 A decent start, a bit slow paced, but I love how Saint's plans are nearly already undone by Scarecrow

Black Manta 1 - Okay, I haven't read it either!

Batman/Catwoman 7 I found this to be a mess of confusion, due to not having Tony Daniel's sexy art on this. The transitions of the 3 time periods I did not...understand as well, so I didn't like this singular issue.

Suicide Squad Get Joker 2 Seemed like Bends was writing this, not Azzarello, as mostly people stood around and talked, but I think that's just Maleev strong suit as an artist. However, the way Azz wrote how the room changes even before Joker walks in the room sent chills up my spine! Reminds me of the story of Michael Caine seeing HEath Ledger stepping out of the elevator as Joker in Wayne Tower, and how he was supposed to have a line, but simply coudln't remember it at all in the face of who Joker was, and they kept that one in the film. Great moment!

Green Lantern 6 Boooo. This is so poor. So bad. And I'm sick of reading 'Oa and Big Power lantern battery story' was destroyed. I can think of like, honestly...6 stories of this occurring. And the art is awful. Why am I bothering? Next month I'm skipping through the pages instead of reading. Get this over with, or shoot it in the head and bury it already.

Suicide Squad Annual 2021 LIke Jeff said, this was good! Also, I love me Superboy, Kon-El, so this issue is what I wanted to read.

Suicide Squad 7 ; sometimes I really get Waller. This issue, I do not get Waller, and believe she sounds deranged and stupid. Hard to get into the title with that going on. Kidnap Swamp Thing and the Rock of Eternity? Please. That's dumb writing.

Titans United 7 What a poor, trite ending to a series I was enjoying all the way through. OH well.

Green Lantern Annual 2021 I think it's time to print some t-shirts and posters that say 'Sinestro Was Right' as at least his Lanterns can keep it together. Art was okay, and I like where it took the character of Cruz at least.

New Teen Titans 21-23, Annual 2; So! This was the brief foray of Jason Todd as a Titan as Robin! Now some of the returned Red Hood anger stories make sense! Wink  I truly, truly do not like any of the Tamaran story lines with Kori or Kommandr. In fact, it looked like Kori was doing more harm than good with her people, and she deserved to get off that planet. Then the Annual here was the ancient origins of Brother Blood; a bit of religious magic, blood magic, prophecy and death. Neat! The intro is Wolfman talking about Blood as his favorite Titans villain, and I could not be further away from this thinking than I am while reading this repeating storyline. BUT, BUT, I do love that Dick had been mind-screwed by the Cult the last time he was captured, and been fighting it mentally, hence all the fighting he had done with Kory and Donna! That's some GOOD groundwork laid down that makes sense!!

Justice League International/America 25-30; and I'm starting back up reading something I had started a long time ago in trades. The first 3 I had already read, so I could just scan them and start getting back to a point of being able to read them! Also, the very first beginnings of this Post Crisis Huntress, and seeing Max use his mind powers to take control of who he wants. The story of Booster and Beetle out to bring a vampire back in, being all goofy, until they are faced with the ruin of the moment, and the heartbreak of it, are the stories I Like to Read from the Blue & Gold.

Aquaman 100 page 80th Anniversary: The first 3 parts were good, there was some absolute trash, some quick ones I wanted to see more of, and a really disappointing one by Jurgens writing and Epting on art, which was a team I REALLY liked when they worked together on it to end volume...6 or whatever it was back 'in the day.'

Also, my early downloaded
Moon Knight 7; art or whatever, I'm down with this title!
Captain Marvel 35; I didn't say it, Genis!
X-men 6,7; eh. At least there is Inferno! Until that's done for us 3 months behind peeps.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2022, 08:29:37 PM »

I want to read this so much!!!

Visited the LCS today and let me tell ya, it was gooooood

Not only did Mark Waid do Mark Waid, the art was also very good. Dan Mora (the artist from that Once and Future series) needs to have his own Robin comic. Like NOW!! Sure, he made Supes and Bats and everyone else look cool, but he drew the ever lovin' shit out of Robin!!! Can't wait for this series to hit the DCI. A must add!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2022, 01:22:17 PM »

Batman/Catwoman 7 I found this to be a mess of confusion, due to not having Tony Daniel's sexy art on this. The transitions of the 3 time periods I did not...understand as well, so I didn't like this singular issue.

Obviously I can't speak of that particular issue yet, but I will say that I read issue #1 a couple nights ago and and while it may have been because I was tired (probably not), I felt like they were doing the time jumping stuff in a very confusing way. Even with Bats kissing Cat passionately, right after they are swinging around the city. Was that a past kiss? I think it was as it didn't flow with the few panels before, but I am not sure. Ha, doesn't bode well for me when I am already getting confused before I get halfway through issue one!
 Cheesy

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Inferno #3
Thor #250 (1976)
Thor #251 (1976)
Thor #252 (1976)

Thor #253 (1976)
Marvel Comics Presents #2 (1988)
Marvel Comics Presents #3 (1988)
Marvel Comics Presents #4 (1988)

DC INFINITE
Infinite Frontier #5
Infinite Frontier #6

---------ADDED-------
Batman/Catwoman #1
Rorschach #1 (re-read)
Rorschach #2
Rorschach #3
Rorschach #4

Rorschach #5
Rorschach #6

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Basilisk #7
Basilisk #8

Bat/Cat - I'm in, though perhaps a little confused, and may re-read that first issue to get a better handle on the time/timing of things, but think I am going to knock out Rorschach first. Don't think my night brain (20 times worse than my already dead day brain) can handle reading two Tom King maxi-series at the same time
 Grin

Rorschach - Alright, I am already digging this so much more this time around. Having read (and now reread) that first issue I didn't think I would be too into this story at first, but once I got into the next couple issues, discovered what the mystery is (and the tale of the her dad (wow!!), I am now solidly into this puppy. So happy I gave this another chance. Thanks guys
 Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS