HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 07:33:47 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, March 7, 2022  (Read 3707 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2022, 05:18:11 AM »

MARVEL UNLIMITED

Trial of Magneto 4 - Why does continue to get worse?! Ugh, it's just about detestable now.

Venom 2 - And I'm done. I was trying to follow the hype train, read some Hitch art, see a better looking Venom, but honestly (even the art, the teeth are a huge weakness actually!) I have little to care about here. Eddie Brock musing about his powers of a space god have removed me from the story. I truly hate where the story/history/lore has gone, and become, with the symbiotes.

Daredevil 36 - I liked this...well enough. Felt a bit truncated, but we'll see it all blow apart once Devil's Reign is forced upon us-for good, or for bad!

Amazing Spider-man 80 - Why is Amazing Spider-man just so...poor? And...meh? I mean, there can be highlights, and cool parts, but on the whole, I'm not going to read this first-ever-nor do I ever tell anyone about it. I miss my nostalgia! LOL, that was meant to be silly and ridiculous.

Captain Marvel 34 - Reading it to get Genis Vell back! Everything has been a fight that was actually a repeat of the fight the issue before -and I've read issue 35 because of an Unlimited app update screw up! Grin

Darkhawk 4 - I'm reading this for support of the title, and the writer and the MS knowledge. And actually, it's a 'little title that could.' It isn't anything like what Ennis or Ellis could do with 4 issues, but it's good enough!

Death of Dr. Strange Spider-man (because Jed McKay is writing) - It got okay towards the end, and it was as good as a tie-in story could be.

DC INFINITE

Infinite Frontier 5 - Okay, I'll admit my hypocrisy SUPER SPOILERS FOR LAST PAGE
Darkseid announces he now has his Omega Lantern; cool, I'm hyped! Bendis brings out the never before seen, and a mystery to unfold, Gold Latnern; screw you Bendis, just trying to get people to look at you being kewl or 'original!' You hack! You wannabe! I can admit that about myself here.
They've kept this tight and interesting, and I'm such a dope sucker for this continuing Crisis/Metal fallout whathave that has been occurring in DC.

Aquaman 80th Anniversary- Whoops! Didn't read it yet!

Batman Superman 2021 Annual - Nope, turns out I didn't want to read this. Pass

Batman Fear State Alpha - Well, duh I gotta read this to get into Fear State. And man, was Crane written well! And the art was some good stuff too!

Robins 6 - Wait...did I read this? I thought this was supposed to come out?

Midnighter Annual? (depends on the arttist, but I'm leaning towards not) - Nope, Oeming art, I'm out, and I didn't care enough about the story to start with to really miss this.

Continuing on....

Challenge of the Super Sons; 5-14. I so miss these two characters under Tomasi writing. I so miss Jon, who's a sweet boy who really is a good boy. And ...a boy. The things Damian does as a character are ridiculous. I get that, and I partially even like it. But when he's with Jon, we see the two of them as young friends. Boys hanging out. Such a bright ray of contrast, a wonderful capture of the spirit of youth. Damn you DC, Damn you Bendis, for taking away this boy, for hurting the Kent family so much, and for making me so angry about it. I don't quite feel the same vitriol or hate of this like I did with 'One More Day'...but it's near close. Honest.

Tales of the Teen Titans 45-58 - Didn't update this list for a while! So, once Perez went over to the New Teen Titans, with whatever DC was doing at the time, I feel almost checked out of this book, mostly because I know in that other newly restarted title, which is where everything main was going, the Terror of Trigon story was starting!

However, the Wedding issue of Donna to Terry was fantastic. Just great. Really sweet!

Garth versus Slade, mano ey mano, was a great issue, as well as the talk and diner scene. IF anything, that moment, I fully believe, is when villain, The Terminator!, stopped being that, and the complex mystery that is Slade Wilson as Deathstroke began, and has stayed that way all the way through Priest's most awesome 50 issue run. Then briefly Cyborg as human, and realizing it was what's on the inside that counts.  Roll Eyes
And I am sick to death, and hope I never, ever read another issue of Titans Vs Fearsome Five.

But now I'm back to the main 'New Teen Titans' issue forever!

And if that gets to be too much...I'm back to reading Justice League America with Dematties and Maguire, since I never finished that read past issue 23!!! Loving my back reading!!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 05:24:30 AM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2022, 03:07:08 PM »

Superman: Son of Kal-el #9

So...how do you feel the title is going? I'm curious on your thoughts. Obviously, I'm only at issue 2.  Cheesy

It is going okay. I enjoy his relationship with Nightwing but think his supporting cast needs to expand. I am ready for his character to be more confident and less wishy-washy.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2022, 07:57:05 PM »

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Hulk #1
Thor #19
X-Men: The Trial of Magneto #4
Fantastic Four #38
Captain Marvel #32
Captain Marvel #33
Captain Marvel #34

DC INFINITE
Infinite Frontier #5
Aquaman 80th Anniversary (Just to flip through)

OTHER PUBLISHERS
The Cimmerian: Hour of the Dragon
Manor Black #2
Manor Black #3
Manor Black #4
Once and Future #17
Once and Future #18 (last issue for me?)

Someone is Killing the Children #15
Someone is Killing the Children #16

Someone is Killing the Children #17
Someone is Killing the Children #18
Someone is Killing the Children #19
Someone is Killing the Children #20

Saga #55
Newburn #2

Manor Black - Ugh, started really, really good but reminded me that while I should give a series the ole "three issue try", there is no need to buy the third issue (and fourth) issue until I am sure I enjoyed the second  Undecided This is okay, but not worth the time, really

Once and Future - I had thought that issue 18 would be my last, and I think it will be. I may jump back on and grab more when (if) they drop to 99¢m but for now, I am done. This got a little too heavy into British lore for me, a dumb, illiterate 'Murican to truly enjoy  Grin Okay, I loved the lore, but... I don't know, something just fell off for me. Worth the "free" read I guess. 

Something is Killing - So I made it to the break, good origin story out of the way, and now heading over to House of Slaughter to read that series.

Hulk - Ha, yeah HULK SMASH all over this puppy  Grin, I am interested to see what evil/bad/misguided Banner does next Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2022, 05:35:51 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Hulk #1
Hawkeye: Kate Bishop #1
X-Force: Killshot Anniversary Special #1
Death of Doctor Strange #3
X-Men #5
Wolverine #18

Symbiote Spider-Man: Crossroads #5
Thor #19
Winter Guard #4

Captain Marvel #34

Dare Devil #36
Fantastic Four #38

DC Universe Infinite
Infinite Frontier 5

ComiXology Unlimited
Newburn #3
Nocterra #7
Star Trek: The Mirror War #4 (of 8 )
Basilisk #3
Basilisk #4
King of Spies #3
Last Flight Out #4
Once And Future Vol 2 Old English (Collects issues 7-12)
The Scumbag TPB Vol 1: Cocainefinger (Collects issues #1-5)

------------------------------------------------------

X-Men: The Trial of Magneto #4 - Jimmy was right. That wasn’t great. Only one more issue though, right?

Captain Marvel #34 - not the best issue from this series but that’s ok.  Next issues big battle should make for it.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2022, 12:57:43 PM »

Superman: Son of Kal-el #9

So...how do you feel the title is going? I'm curious on your thoughts. Obviously, I'm only at issue 2.  Cheesy

It is going okay. I enjoy his relationship with Nightwing but think his supporting cast needs to expand. I am ready for his character to be more confident and less wishy-washy.

That's the part that grates me most-the wish-washy 'I've got to grow up' stuff I'm NOT interested in.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2022, 01:06:04 PM »

It's just New Titans, baby!

So, got through all the Terror of Trigon, and man, that was truly the highlight moment of this volume, I think!

Issues 2-19 I read, and an annual!

It's weird to think, where is George Perez?

Oh yeah.

HE'S DRAWING CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS!!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

That floored me to realize that!!!

But it also means he never comes back to draw this title anymore....because then he'll be over at Wonder Woman, then after that Action Comics I believe....

But these stories...also with having to deal with Crisis occurring...haven't been the greatest to me. The whole Tamaran arc where Kory gets married was really...poor. But yeah, 80s stuff gets ham-fisted.

Azrael was a character, where any time he was on page, it was time to skip. 4 straight issues where he legitimately only said 'I love Lilith! where is she' was total junk. But the Lilith and back to the Greek Gods was actual pretty fun!

Pissed off Nighwing, Unsure Wonder Girl, but totally confident and level headed Cyborg have all been neat changes I think to the dynamics.

I was reading ahead to when I wonder I'll be done with this. I mean, this title goes 130 issues, but it was flat out cancelled as well. Editorial got involved heavily and mandated stuff to Wolfman. From what I read, sometime after 50, definitely by 71 with the whole nonsense of Wildebeest(s?) it's time for me to go.

But it's weird, not knowing the whole future...why would Kory ever be part of this group, or any itereation of this group without her best friend Donna, or her lover Dick?

I'm sad to read that Donna and Terry's child becomes Lord Chaos, and ultimately, I want to know who fakking RUINS their marriage!! That will make me sad.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2022, 04:31:58 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Hulk #1
X-Men #5
Wolverine #18

Thor #19
Winter Guard #4

Captain Marvel #34

Dare Devil #36
Fantastic Four #38

DC Universe Infinite
Infinite Frontier 5

ComiXology Unlimited
Newburn #3
Nocterra #7
Basilisk #3
Basilisk #4
King of Spies #3
Last Flight Out #4

Dare Devil #36 - Still good as ever. Nice pivot from one arc to the next.

Fantastic Four #38 - Not terrible but not great either. This is going to be a skippable arc I think.

Infinite Frontier 5 - The problem with these events is they try to tie in all the crisis’ together. It only makes things more convoluted.  Such is the case here.  I’ve been enjoying this but I’m not hopeful for a good ending.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2022, 04:56:25 PM »

It's just New Titans, baby!

I was reading ahead to when I wonder I'll be done with this. I mean, this title goes 130 issues, but it was flat out cancelled as well. Editorial got involved heavily and mandated stuff to Wolfman. From what I read, sometime after 50, definitely by 71 with the whole nonsense of Wildebeest(s?) it's time for me to go.

But it's weird, not knowing the whole future...why would Kory ever be part of this group, or any itereation of this group without her best friend Donna, or her lover Dick?

I'm sad to read that Donna and Terry's child becomes Lord Chaos, and ultimately, I want to know who fakking RUINS their marriage!! That will make me sad.

and Lord Chaos means the arrival of the TEAM Titans and Terra II  The last couple years saw some horrible art and plots but the good far outweighed the bad.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2022, 02:45:44 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Hulk #1
X-Men #5
Wolverine #18

Thor #19
Winter Guard #4

Captain Marvel #34

Dare Devil #36
Fantastic Four #38

DC Universe Infinite
Infinite Frontier 5

ComiXology Unlimited
Newburn #3
Nocterra #7

Basilisk #3
Basilisk #4

King of Spies #3
Last Flight Out #4

Newburn #3 - Pretty good mob mystery this issue and Newburn is on the case.  I'm enjoying this series.  Get to meet some of the mobsters this issue adding to the cast of characters.

Nocterra #7 - Hmmm.  Mid way through I decided I was going to drop this.  I pretty much lost interest.  But the ending pulled me back in.  I'll give another issue a go and then decide if it's picked back up or not.

Star Trek: The Mirror War #4 (of 8 ) - Another one I was starting to get bored with and then picks up midway through this issue.  The downhill arc of the story has potential!

Basilisk #3 & 4 - This book is really really good!  I love this lead up to the first battle and the simplicity of it.  The characters are each fascinating for their differences.  I'm in for the long haul on this series!

King of Spies #3 - LOL - I love this series.  Roland King is truly the best of spies/assassins'.  And it's quite the chase with Bond like villains on his heels.  So sad that it all ends next issue. 

Last Flight Out #4 - Ha!  Now that's what I call "come uppins"!  And not in the way that you might think.  Took a bit of a predictable issue and then turned it on it's end.  Very good issue all the way around.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2022, 11:48:31 AM »

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Hulk #1
Thor #19
Fantastic Four #38

Captain Marvel #32
Captain Marvel #33
Captain Marvel #34

DC INFINITE
Infinite Frontier #5

OTHER PUBLISHERS
The Cimmerian: Hour of the Dragon
Manor Black #2
Manor Black #3
Manor Black #4
Once and Future #17

Saga #55
Newburn #2

FF and Trial of Mags - After reading the first couple of pages of this issue and the overwhelming amount of HR thumbs down (2 ...  Cheesy) relating to it, I decided to skip the Trial of Magneto. I am so rapidly souring on all things X now that I don't think I care anymore anyway. I will return when Gillen starts his title.
Also decided to skip the FF issue as I have been told I would be better off doing so. I trust the recommendation and as I know it is Slott writing it, I have no problem with sliding past this one. I will keep my eye towards the sky and wait for the "it's okay to return" signal before trying another issue of my favorite family.

Cimmerian - This one I marked as didn't read as it is not coming out until next week! Not sure what I read or where I read that it was hitting this week, but... Cheesy

Captain Marvel - Actually went back one issue earlier, to issue #31, to start this reading as I wanted to see where it left off for this arc to begin. Sometimes that is useful and it was here. This was fun, decent art (although I hate when Carol's sash becomes Spawn like... seemingly blossoming to two 20 foot long ribbons  Grin) and a very interesting looking nemesis (whom I see is from an earlier arc). A good, hero comic that I may try to keep up with after all.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2022, 07:39:47 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Hulk #1
X-Men #5
Wolverine #18

Thor #19
Winter Guard #4

Captain Marvel #34

Dare Devil #36
Fantastic Four #38

DC Universe Infinite
Infinite Frontier 5

ComiXology Unlimited
Newburn #3
Nocterra #7

Basilisk #3
Basilisk #4

King of Spies #3
Last Flight Out #4

Once And Future Vol 2 Old English (Collects issues 7-12) - Great book!  I may have enjoyed this arc better than the first.  I found the action very exciting and the “monsters” to be a lot of fun.  Sorry to hear Perry didn’t like the next arc as much but I’m in for it anyway.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2022, 04:09:33 PM »

Still have to get started on my huge DC list I have written down here  Cheesy but as there is only one issue from DC I am adding for next week (and one Marvel as well?), I figure I can knock them out next week. However I decided to hold off on the "Other" titles I had posted as I got in a "I want to read comics I had as a kid" mood. HA, Thor more precisely

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Hulk #1
Thor #19
Captain Marvel #31
Captain Marvel #32
Captain Marvel #33
Captain Marvel #34

Marvel Comics Presents #1 (1998) - Added all these on a whim
Thor #245 (1976)
Thor #246 (1976)
Thor #247 (1976)
Thor #248 (1976)
Thor #249 (1976)

DC INFINITE
Infinite Frontier #5

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Manor Black #2
Manor Black #3
Manor Black #4
Once and Future #17

MCP - Decent start to a ten part Wolverine in Madripoor story with Big Daddy John art so, auto win!!

Thor - FireLord, Mangog and more John Buscema art? Lucky me!!!
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2022, 06:06:53 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Hulk #1
X-Men #5
Wolverine #18

Thor #19
Winter Guard #4

Captain Marvel #34

Dare Devil #36
Fantastic Four #38

DC Universe Infinite
Infinite Frontier 5

ComiXology Unlimited
Newburn #3
Nocterra #7

Basilisk #3
Basilisk #4

King of Spies #3
Last Flight Out #4

The Scumbag TPB Vol 1: Cocainefinger (Collects issues #1-5) - This was pretty funny but not something I want to read long term.  Interesting how they change artists each issue but you don’t really notice.  It’s worth a read if your interested.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2022, 09:28:44 AM »

The Scumbag TPB Vol 1: Cocainefinger (Collects issues #1-5) - This was pretty funny but not something I want to read long term.  

I didn't go past issue #2, but I will say Scumbag is a very apt title  Cheesy

EDIT - Forgot my list
 Smiley

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Hulk #1
Thor #19
Captain Marvel #31
Captain Marvel #32
Captain Marvel #33
Captain Marvel #34

Marvel Comics Presents #1 (1998)
Thor #245 (1976)
Thor #246 (1976)
Thor #247 (1976)
Thor #248 (1976)
Thor #249 (1976)

DC INFINITE
Infinite Frontier #5
Aquaman 80th Anniversary (Just to flip through) -  Cheesy Roll Eyes

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Manor Black #2
Manor Black #3
Manor Black #4
Once and Future #17

Aquaman - Ended up reading this entire thing. Nothing here noteworthy, but for some reason (maybe I missed Aquaman more than I thought), I was like that damn battery bunny... I kept going and going and going and...
 Grin
the first two stories were probably the best (art and story wise), other than a later Dan Jurgens one. Certainly not worth paying the cover price for, whatever it was it would have been too much, way too much, but a good Sunday Night read.
Although it did keep my eyes away from the one DC book I was looking forward to this week
 Undecided
Oh well, I only have one DC book I want to read coming out this next week, adding this one to that week will not be a problem
 Smiley
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 09:37:48 AM by Perry » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS