HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 07:56:08 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, February 23, 2022  (Read 3772 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2022, 09:56:35 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Dark Ages #3
Kang the Conquerer #4
Moon Knight #5
X-Force #25

X-Men Unlimited Infinity Comics #1
X-Men Unlimited Infinity Comics #2
X-Men Unlimited Infinity Comics #3
X-Men Unlimited Infinity Comics #4

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing #83
The Flash #773

Batman/Catwoman #6
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #3
Superman and the Authority #2
Batman Secret Files: Clown Hunter #1

ComiXology Unlimited  
Black Hammer: Reborn #8
House of Slaughter #4
Saga #55
We Only Find Them When They’re Dead #10

Ever: The Way Out TPB - Terry Moore

------------------------------------------------------

Ever: The Way Out TPB - Terry Moore - another good Terry Moore book. This kind of spins out of Rachel Rising and makes me want to re-read that series. The ending was kind of rushed but other than that I liked it overall. Not Terry Moore‘s best book but still was enjoyable to read.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2022, 02:45:47 AM »

MARVEL UNLIMITED 

Amazing Spider-man; ugh, dammit, it's a .1 issue of nonsense with crap art. I scanned it, stopped reading about 12 pages in. Moving on!

Moon Knight; I like this! I love the character analysis! Liked the ending a lot!

Kang the Conqueror; this is SOOO cool. I mean, I have no idea 'who' or 'where' this Kang is in the time stream of all things Kang, but I have loved the reading of it!

DC INFINITE

New Teen Titans 28; gotta get my History in! Trying to bring Terra around to them! Also, Dick and Kori get it on in-between panels! LOL

Shazam 2; better than the first, but no closer to the 'book' I really want to read....but I'll try to follow along in the process

Flash 773; a bit corny, but good in the reading of it, because it's Wally, being Wally as a person, family man, and hero

FINISHED!!!
Superman & the Authority 2: I can read Grant Morrison write a Superman character until the end of time. Even the little vignettes were really good too!

Batman Catwoman 6: This really did read better when I read 4 in a row. I may save these back up into a backlog to read it all at once.

Nightwing 83; Totally dig this book! King is doing great! It's King writing, right? Or have I mixed it up with ...Taylor? Crap, I don't know! But I'm down to hanging with this character and book for a long time!

Supergirl 3; Okay, this is King! Taylor writes Nightwing! lol Anyways, a bit of a skin deep surface book for the conflict created, but I love how Supergirl is being written here, and how the events are washing over the 2 women as they do.

New Teen Titans 29-33; continuing the 'Terra Incognito' arc. Boy...there is so many words!!! Who said Claremont was wordy in his early X-men? Wolfman set the stage! Also funny to see the Terra and Gar talk about going to see the new Star Wars movie (Return of the Jedi!). What a blast!  Most of the battle events and panels aren't worth reading, but all the interpersonal parts of the book, and stuff between characters is tight and spot on!
(Perry is still gonna hate me for saying this! LOL)

[/quote]

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2022, 11:08:30 AM »

Ever: The Way Out TPB - Terry Moore - another good Terry Moore book. This kind of spins out of Rachel Rising ...

Like I said already...
CRAP!
 Grin

I was trying to leave this book alone until you stated the RR ties. Ha. As much as I do love me some Terry Moore, it is hard for me to throw almost $20 down on a book I have no character connection to nor have any idea what kind of thematic placement Moore is going with, in short, not knowing what this puppy is about.   Grin

But... Oh, I don't know... maybe... damn it  Cheesy

Nightwing 83; Totally dig this book! King is doing great! It's King writing, right? Or have I mixed it up with ...Taylor? Crap, I don't know!

Ha, like you remembered it is indeed Taylor (both he and King can bring it). But yeah, this is a good Taylor book, along with his art partner from his Suicide Squad run. I know I loved that run more than most (*ahem* Grin) but did you ever read that one? Just curious as I don't remember. I thought it was a great story, introducing some new characters (some good, some not) with the same style of art you're getting here, but thought the team did a great job with it considering it was solely about a well known character. Was so happy to find that they reunited on this title.

New Teen Titans 29-33 [...] (Perry is still gonna hate me for saying this! LOL)

Haha, naaaaw man. I understand.  Cool Although I think Claremont was still the biggest offender.  Grin That dude was F'n wordy and, more to the point of contention for me, overly descriptive in his panels. He took Stan Lee's knack of describing the movement of a scene (even though the art is telling you what is going on) and ramped it up to 11
 Grin
"Chris, shut up and let the art tell the story, man! SHIT!"
 Cheesy Grin
Still good stuff from both writers of course (Well, by both I mean Claremont and Wolfman  Wink)
 Smiley

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Dark Ages #3
Kang the Conqueror #4
FF Anniversary Tribute
Moon Knight #5

DC INFINITE

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Someone is Killing the Children #11
Someone is Killing the Children #12
Someone is Killing the Children #13

Once and Future #10
Once and Future #11
Once and Future #12
Manor Black #1
Saga #1

Something is Killing - Wow, okay, found it cool how the monsters came to be. Also want to know more about the Dragon
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2022, 03:58:18 PM »

Next week is Strange #1 which I pre-ordered before I stopped buying Marvel at my LCS.

Speaking of which, it is getting close to that time isn't it? Time for you to get all Marvel'd up  Cheesy

Yep, I think March comics are where I start online, but I have been enjoying the plethora of back issues at MU.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2022, 04:25:14 PM »

... but I have been enjoying the plethora of back issues at MU.

Smiley
Yeah, there are a little bit of those  Grin

I recently commented about how MU is currently adding the early/mid nineties Doctor Strange issues (complete with that "lovely" 90's art  Grin) but dang, I would think they have to be getting close by now of having everything up on the platform. I could be wrong of course, there are a shit ton of comics, but they have been around for a good bit now so I would think they would be (at least) close to being finished

DC, I have no doubt, has to have a little more work to do to be caught up as they have a buttload more issues (Yeah? Maybe? More years by a good bit?) but even they will eventually have every comic up on digital. So damn cool (once you get used to reading that way  Grin)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2022, 07:55:04 PM »

I constantly get King, Taylor, and even Tynion confused with each other’s work.  I don’t know why that is but it’s true.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2022, 08:48:05 PM »

Time to add some comics since I finished my list early.  I get all of these for free on ComiXology Unlimited and Perry recommends both series so I figured I’d give then a try.

ComiXology Unlimited 
Basilisk #1
Basilisk #2
Once And Future Vol 1 The King is Undead (Collects issues 1-6)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2022, 02:11:10 AM »

ComiXology Unlimited 
Basilisk #1
Basilisk #2
Once And Future Vol 1 The King is Undead (Collects issues 1-6)

Basilisk #1 & 2 - Well of course this is excellent.  Now I’m going to have to buy the rest of the issues! At least they are only $1.99.  If this quality maintains though it will be worth it.  Interesting premise involving the five senses.

Once And Future Vol 1 The King is Undead (Collects issues 1-6) - So glad the next Volume is also free.  I’ll be reading it this weekend!  This was a lot of fun.  Chain smoking grandma with a gun chasing undead knights? Sign me up!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2022, 03:26:33 PM »

[regarding the MU] ...  I would think they have to be getting close by now of having everything up on the platform. I could be wrong of course, there are a shit ton of comics, but they have been around for a good bit now so I would think they would be (at least) close to being finished

And as far as I can tell with a quick "google search", it seems that Marvel has about 27,000 issues up on MU, but Marvel has published (as best an estimate I could find, again, doing this quickly) around 37,500 comics, or so. That would put the MU at having about 75% of their comics up for that one low price!!

Basilisk #1 & 2 - Well of course this is excellent. 

Once And Future Vol 1 The King is Undead (Collects issues 1-6) [...]  This was a lot of fun. 

Cool, glad you liked both.

I was really shocked at how well Basilisk hit for me, that has Netflix mini-series written all over it, but I hope that it does outlive itself. I don't want more than 12 issues of this series. Actually I would be happy with 8 or 10, honestly.

Once and Future is what got me back into Comixology Unlimited. 18 free issues of a book I wanted to read was an easy choice to make. Even if I was only toing to read the first 6 issues. As this was to be a mini, but fan response was high so Boom asked Bunn if he had more story he could tell and this became an "ongoing".
And hey, same thing applies for me with this series, as far as I hope it doesn't keep going past its time. There is still story here, more than in Basilisk, for sure, however I still think this has to be a finite series. Maybe 40 at most?
But I think we ALL enjoy that style of short story approach and story telling just as much, if not more sometimes, as the "never-ending story".
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2022, 03:49:20 AM »

Got one last back issue read.

Adventures of Superman #438 (1987) - First appearance of Vril Dox, Senior - Funny how comics from my teenage years read today.  Also funny how Vril Dox from Colu winds up in a human named Brainiac.  Still fun seeing how the first Vril Dox got his start in the DC Universe.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2022, 12:23:14 PM »

Been a slow (or fast) week.

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Dark Ages #3
Kang the Conqueror #4
FF Anniversary Tribute
Moon Knight #5

DC INFINITE

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Someone is Killing the Children #11
Someone is Killing the Children #12
Someone is Killing the Children #13

Once and Future #10
Once and Future #11
Once and Future #12

Manor Black #1
Saga #1

FF Tribute - Another cool, but nowhere near worth the price they tried to get, reimagining issue (or issues in this case). The took the story from FF #1 and FF Annual #... 3... I think (Reed and Sue's wedding) and told the same story, but this time had a bunch of artists reimagine and redraw each single page. Cool to look at and look through, but it's still Stan Lee back in the early 60's so... yeah...  Grin A prime example of how MU is better as I didn't pay any extra to read/look at this book  Grin

Once and Future - Okay, maybe I was wrong. Maybe this is where the original mini was supposed to have ended? It seems like a decent place to do so. We are not done with the antagonist or anything, but maybe there was a replacement so they could keep the story? Maybe? I don't know. Regardless, still enjoying this and have 6 more issues to get through before I have to pay again for Unlimited
 Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS