HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:11:41 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, February 16, 2022  (Read 2956 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2022, 05:46:27 AM »

ComiXology Unlimited
The Department of Truth #15
King of Spies #2 of 4
Mazebook #4
Mazebook #5

Stillwater #12
Primordial #5
The Silver Coin #8
Time Before Time #9

------------------------------------------------------

Stillwater #12 - Wow things came close to a close pretty fast.  The one shot in March should wrap this up.  Things are coming to a quick close!

Primordial #5 - Definitely one of Lemire’s stranger books. Looking forward to the wrap up but can’t say this made much sense.

The Silver Coin #8 - Another creepy one!  But good nonetheless.  Not a lucky day at all!

Time Before Time #9 - Another good issue from a story stand point.  Still not a fan of the art but pulled into the story anyway.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2022, 02:10:06 PM »

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Strange Academy #13
Eternals #7
Added - Heroes Reborn: The Return #1 (1997)
Added - Heroes Reborn: The Return #2 (1997)
Added - Heroes Reborn: The Return #3 (1997)
Added - Heroes Reborn: The Return #4 (1997)
Added - Dark Ages #1
Added - Dark Ages #2
Added - Dark Ages #3
Added - Kang the Conqueror #4
Added - FF Anniversary Tribute
Added - for some reason - Moon Knight #5

DC INFINITE
Infinite Frontier #4
Joker #6
Batman Reptilian #2 (not sure how I wrote #7 originally)
Added - Nightwing #83
Added - Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #3
Added - Superman and the Authority #2

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Primordial #4
Primordial #5

Basilisk #6
Added - Mazebook #4 (could've sworn I had it)
Mazebook #5
Once and Future #7
Once and Future #8

Added - Once and Future #9
Someone is Killing the Children #1
Someone is Killing the Children #2
Someone is Killing the Children #3

Added - Someone is Killing the Children #4
Added - Someone is Killing the Children #5
Added - Someone is Killing the Children #6

Heroes Reborn/Return - Man, this was/is tough reading here. The art of the nineties are still influential here as Slavador Larocca'a art looks nothing like it comes to be later, and the writing by PAD is kind of cringeworthy, but for some reason I decided I wanted to pick up on the Marvel comics that came after this, back when Marvel did their own reset with some of their titles. Hope to get through this and into the '98 relaunches of FF, Cap, Iron Man, Thor and eventually Hulk but by the time I am done with this I may have soured on that idea.  Cheesy

Infinite Frontier - Like Jeff I am enjoying this, a good bit even, and Also like Jeff I get what is happening here, but I (for one) struggle to know how this fits into DC currently. I know it was set to be a thing earlier on, but is this now just happening in the back ground, is it going to affect DC proper at some point, is it a prelude to Williamson's Dark Crisis? I guess I will find out soon enough.

Batman: Reptilian - Enjoying this (darkly) painted Liam Sharp book but damn my boy Ennis' take on THIS particular Batman is baaaad. The dialog THIS Bat conveys is not Batman. That said I still think this is a good read, it is an Elseworlds after all so I can let the Bat'speak slide, and look forward for more. Not for everyone though. For sure

Nightwing - Best part of this issue is the conversations between Dick and Supes, and Dick and Barbara. The other stuff, the main gist of this issue, I will let slide away. Moving on!!!

Supergirl - A decent issue that makes me wonder how many issues this mini should've/could've been if we just stuck to the main story. Not a big deal, it was done well, but more of a sidestep off the trail on our way to getting further along our path

Mazebook - Man, not sure how I thought I had (and read) issue #4 of Mazebook, but I hadn't. I started issue #5 (not noticing in my list) and realized I missed something  Grin One of Jeff's favorite writers brings us a heartfelt story that can only work, I feel, in this medium. In other words, I don't think this would work as anything but a comic. The art and the way it is used is so important.

Once and Future - HA, we made it to the point in the book where the Siege Perilous comes into play and boy I bet this "Galahad" wished we didn't  Cheesy And Merlin looks awesome. Love the design

Someone is Killing the Children - So I am busy trying to convince Jeff and Jimmy to watch the show "Haunting of Hill House" on Netflix as I think it is not only one of the best "haunted house" stories (one that makes the idea of family so important) but also because I hear that this comic is getting its own show and the production company that will run said show is headed by the writer/director of Hill House. I think watching that series has made me trust that how good Flanigan can be and I feel great about this comic being a very good adaption. One of Tynion's best I think

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2022, 12:19:23 PM »

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Strange Academy #13
Eternals #7
Heroes Reborn: The Return #1 (1997)
Heroes Reborn: The Return #2 (1997)
Heroes Reborn: The Return #3 (1997)
Heroes Reborn: The Return #4 (1997)
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Dark Ages #3
Kang the Conqueror #4
FF Anniversary Tribute
Moon Knight #5

DC INFINITE
Infinite Frontier #4
Joker #6
Batman Reptilian #2
Nightwing #83
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #3
Superman and the Authority #2

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Primordial #4
Primordial #5

Basilisk #6
Mazebook #4
Mazebook #5
Once and Future #7
Once and Future #8

Once and Future #9
Someone is Killing the Children #1
Someone is Killing the Children #2
Someone is Killing the Children #3

Someone is Killing the Children #4
Someone is Killing the Children #5
Someone is Killing the Children #6
Added - Someone is Killing the Children #7
Added - Someone is Killing the Children #8
Added - Someone is Killing the Children #9
Added - Someone is Killing the Children #10

Heroes Reborn/Return - Well I got through it, I finished this. Left a sour taste in my mouth (not a fan of the human shaped Celestial) but hoping the main titles will hit as good as I seem to remember some of them, when I jumped back into them later down the line.
 Undecided

Something is Killing the Children - Okay, I think I came across why I stopped reading this back when I did, a couple years ago. As you know, I don't like it when stories show cops doing things they would never, ever do (and I am not talking about cops being bad cops, I know that is something that happens  Wink), and when
the Sheriff of this town goes into the woods, comes across what he believes is a murder scene, complete with who he perceives to be the killer (Tommy), and he not only does not handcuff said "killer", but he also leaves the "killer" with a stranger to this town, a person he only met one time, so that he, the sheriff, can go back out of the woods to check on others...?? WHA THE FUCK??
I think that is when I got disheartened with this book, finished what I had already bought and then walked away. It is just stupid ass crap that makes no F'n sense.

I am sticking around this time, but damn I gotta say, that really bugged me a lot. Even more so this time around as I know for sure that it wasn't just something I missed or got wrong the first time.
 Angry

Wow, look at me go. Almost 30 books in one week? That's like Jeff on comics or Jimmy on novels level of reading.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2022, 04:44:52 PM »

Something is Killing the Children - Okay, I think I came across why I stopped reading this back when I did, a couple years ago. As you know, I don't like it when stories show cops doing things they would never, ever do (and I am not talking about cops being bad cops, I know that is something that happens  Wink), and when
the Sheriff of this town goes into the woods, comes across what he believes is a murder scene, complete with who he perceives to be the killer (Tommy), and he not only does not handcuff said "killer", but he also leaves the "killer" with a stranger to this town, a person he only met one time, so that he, the sheriff, can go back out of the woods to check on others...?? WHA THE FUCK??
I think that is when I got disheartened with this book, finished what I had already bought and then walked away. It is just stupid ass crap that makes no F'n sense.

I am sticking around this time, but damn I gotta say, that really bugged me a lot. Even more so this time around as I know for sure that it wasn't just something I missed or got wrong the first time.
 Angry

That bugged me too.  Fortunately I don’t remember that kind of stupidity continuing.  Your getting close to my favorite arc where we go back and get Erica’s origin story.  Keeping my fingers crossed that you enjoy it.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2022, 07:37:04 PM »

That bugged me too.  Fortunately I don’t remember that kind of stupidity continuing.  Your getting close to my favorite arc where we go back and get Erica’s origin story.  Keeping my fingers crossed that you enjoy it.

Oh yeah, I am on for the long haul this time (want to know how it compares to the show).
I did go back and look and I am mistaken, again, on one part.
The Sheriff does put Tommy in zip ties, it appears. Tynion doesn't show us the Sheriff doing so and I understand, now, that the reason for that is the break from the end of issue #9 to the beginning of issue #10 where this happens off screen. I totally missed the little dark line across Tommy's wrists the first time through, reading at night with my tablet on low light (as the wife is sleeping).
I noticed it this morning when I went back to get a better reason for the Sheriff leaving Tommy with the new guy (and there isn't, at all), but I did notice that zip tie.
I guess my brain didn't separate the issues when I read them last night and I just assumed the two points in time of the sheriff pulling the gun and then him walking away with the deputies happened at the same time. But no, issue break totally excuses the not showing us the cuffing/zip tie of the suspect.
Still no idea why he walked away though
Grin

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS