HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:43:47 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thunderbolts premieres in theaters July 25, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, February 9, 2022  (Read 3667 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 08, 2022, 03:22:02 PM »

Going to get an early start on my list for this week.  Might actually get to catch up on my MU library this time!

Marvel Unlimited
Fantastic Four #37
Gamma Flight #5
Winter Guard #2
Winter Guard #3
Black Cat #10
Inferno #2
Black Widow #12
Wolverine #17
Dare Devil #35
Moon Knight #4
Strange Academy Presents The Death of Doctor Strange #1

------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 04:23:25 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 05:35:27 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Fantastic Four #37
Gamma Flight #5
Winter Guard #2
Winter Guard #3

Black Cat #10
Inferno #2
Black Widow #12
Wolverine #17
Dare Devil #35
Moon Knight #4

Fantastic Four #37 - I thought this might be my last FF issue. But it was a lot of fun! A trick or treat one shot with the Grimm family. A dynamic that I really enjoy reading and this was no different.  It’s keeping me on for another issue.

Gamma Flight #5 - End of the mini!  Over all a dull story.  It had is moments and it was nice to get some closure on some of the character stories.  But not a great tale.  I would like to see more of this team but with better stories.

Winter Guard #2-3 - Good books and fun characters.  Yelena is fast becoming one of my favorite people.  Lots of double crosses and action.  Happy to keep getting this.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 10:20:58 PM »

Almost new comic Wednesday! What are you looking forward to reading?
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 01:15:09 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Fantastic Four #37
Gamma Flight #5
Winter Guard #2
Winter Guard #3

Black Cat #10
Inferno #2
Black Widow #12
Wolverine #17

Dare Devil #35
Moon Knight #4

Looks like I might finish these before the week even starts!

Black Cat #10 - I guess this was the last issue of this series. But it looks like the story will conclude in Giant Size Blackcat Infinity Score #1. So looks like I will be getting one more issue. I was kind of getting bored with this anyway and was thinking about dropping it after this issue. Well, I guess that decision was made for me!

Inferno #2 - I’m so angry.  THIS IS HOW THIS WHOLE X-VERSE SHOULD HAVE BEEN!  Absolutely great story.  When Inferno is done I believe we’ll have another epic X-Story in the annals of x-history.

Black Widow #12 - I think I’m figuring out why DC comics aren’t that great these days. It’s because Marvel comics has all the great writers! This was a great issue. I like this new arc and I love the black widow team. Thumbs up.

Wolverine #17 - I wasn’t liking this issue at first, but by the time I got to the cliff hanger I got intrigued. I am on the border with continuing this comic but for right now I think I want to see how this story plays out.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 02:33:19 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Fantastic Four #37
Gamma Flight #5
Winter Guard #2
Winter Guard #3

Black Cat #10
Inferno #2
Black Widow #12
Wolverine #17

Dare Devil #35
Moon Knight #4

Now this is definitely a first! Finished the entire list before the date even got here. Ha ha.

Dare Devil #35 - well that’s a wrap for the Bullseye story. Pretty good. Glad that it’s over and we are starting a new arc hopefully next issue. As much as I enjoyed this one, I’m ready for a new story.

Moon Knight #4 - darn you Perry for talking me into coming back to this. Unlike you, I really liked this issue. Ha ha. Looks like I’ll be keeping this one for a while. I guess that gives me something to fill the black cat spot. Lol.

Strange Academy Presents The Death of Doctor Strange #1 - Like Perry said, this was a fun Academy issue.  At least now I know I don’t need to buy the side tie in comics for this event. Still, I did enjoy this and it was fun.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 02:53:33 AM »

I'm done too! An almost nonexistent Marvel week, and I just buzzed through DC in the last 3 days from last week and this!!

MARVEL UNLIMITED

Due to a snafu by Marvel, I have several issues downloaded where they removed them the next day. So what did I get?
THOR 20 & 21: I wanted to read about the 'God of Hammers!' So yeah, I haven't read issue 19, but I read these! So good! So great!! I LOVE THOR!!

I may give in and read X-men 6 & 7 before I see issue 5!

DC INFINITE

Here's what I did...

Superman Son of Kal-El; I don't see anything in here to hate, but I know that kind of attention doesn't come until issue 5. So, I'll just keep reading, as I keep trying to see what kind of person Jon was forced into being by other hamfisted poor writing.

Action Comics 1033: I'm hoping Johnson will continue to get his writing chops and growth in to show why Superman is a hero, and that all his powers aren't all the things that make him 'super.'

Green Arrow 80th Anniversary issue; I like Green Arrow. A lot. In fact, i liked a bunch of these stories in the 100 pages alot. Some, not as much. But I think all of you should pick this up to read the last story in the book (heck the last 2), but the last 1 is from Denny O'Neill's son, and it's about Denny. It's a 1:45 read, if that. But strong. So strong!

Stargirl Spring Break special; It was fun to read Stargirl and the original 7 Soldiers doing a mission out of time. And then the blurb on the last page about 'see Courtney return in Stargirl #1!' . This was published May of last year....don't think this is happening any more. Shelved with all the shake up after Didio's firing...is my thinking....also, where is that JSA title? Sigh....just make more Batman books...

Justice League Last Ride 1-3; an okay tale on an Elseworld. Exploring a future of a broken Justice League group. It's okay, but it doesn't go far enough in showing an event that isn't much more than a trope about how they broke apart. But it's okay. I generally like Chip Zdarsky.

New Teen Titans 19-22; a great issue of Wally writing a letter to his parents (it's funny, between this time...and then when Wally becomes Flash after Crisis...I don't know when his parents died!), But, we get first Baron Blood, and first Blackfire appearances! And Dick fighting a whole issue in only his green undies. He looks so ridiculous in winter in his classic Robin gear! But ...I love that costume, sick as it is, I love it!!

Titan United 6; I really think this is a mini. Truly! I enjoy reading it, and I think the characters are doing very well bouncing off each other a lot!

Crime Syndicate 6; A cool little mini, and I like the differences of this laters Earth-3 incarnation

Suicide Squad 6; OoOOooOooo more Superboy mystery unveiling, and a great last panel! What's going on?!!

Green Lantern 5; this is so poor. I feel like editiorial made a big switch this issue, and simply said "this story is tanking; lets wrap it up quick, get us going to what you were gonna do after this first year." I'll read next issue...and if the art and story is still this poor, unfocused, and generally uninteresting, I'm out!

Batman 111; Scarecrow is getting some great screen time! Loving it! Fear State, here we come!! Still very much digging this!

Suicide Squad; Get Joker #1; oh this is a DC Black Label story. I'm watching! Most certainly I am! I liked this read a lot. Good job on Azzarello!

and I'm all caught up! Maybe onto some more New Teen Titans!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 02:55:01 AM »

Inferno #2 - I’m so angry.  THIS IS HOW THIS WHOLE X-VERSE SHOULD HAVE BEEN!  Absolutely great story.  When Inferno is done I believe we’ll have another epic X-Story in the annals of x-history.

YUP!!! Hickman always feels like every issue he writes is an event, yet, they don't have to be event books either. So great. What a waste of essentially making him walk.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 03:20:43 AM »

All righty.  Since I’m completely done with my MU list, I’m going to try to get through a chunk of my DC library.

DC Universe Infinite
Nice House on the Lake #3
Titans United #6
Infinite Frontier #3
Justice League #64 - JL Dark backup story only
Justice League #65 - JL Dark backup story only
Justice League #66 - JL Dark backup story only
Robin #4
Batman #110
Batman #111
Detective Comics #1039
Detective Comics #1040
Batman: The Detective #4

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 03:21:59 AM »

Green Arrow 80th Anniversary issue; I like Green Arrow. A lot. In fact, i liked a bunch of these stories in the 100 pages alot. Some, not as much. But I think all of you should pick this up to read the last story in the book (heck the last 2), but the last 1 is from Denny O'Neill's son, and it's about Denny. It's a 1:45 read, if that. But strong. So strong!

I’ve got this one sitting in my library.  Hoping to get to it next week.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 09:35:08 AM »

Black Cat #10 - [...] I was kind of getting bored with this anyway and was thinking about dropping it after this issue. Well, I guess that decision was made for me!

Moon Knight #4 - [...] Looks like I’ll be keeping this one for a while. I guess that gives me something to fill the black cat spot. Lol.

Ha, well, they are written by the same guy so an easy transition.  Grin I really enjoyed the first 5 or 6 issues of Black Cat, but it did began to slide down the enjoyment scale as it went. Something to do with the writer knowing it was ending? Perhaps.
I wasn't a fan of his Moon Knight from the get go (although the art had a huge impact on that), but I am, so far, enjoying his other title; Death of Doctor Strange. Hope that keeps up throughout.

Strange Academy Presents The Death of Doctor Strange #1 - [...] this was a fun Academy issue

It was. Del Mundo and his painted 'not made for Marvel Primetime' (in my eyes) art shines in the same and only realm I have ever enjoyed his art. And I did like how it, ever slightly, tied into the death of Strange event.

Justice League Last Ride 1-3 [...] I generally like Chip Zdarsky.

I do as well, not sure why I couldn't get into this after the first two issues. Oh well, it happens I suppose

New Teen Titans 19-22; a great issue of Wally writing a letter to his parents (it's funny, between this time...and then when Wally becomes Flash after Crisis...I don't know when his parents died!), But, we get first Baron Blood, and first Blackfire appearances! And Dick fighting a whole issue in only his green undies. He looks so ridiculous in winter in his classic Robin gear! But ...I love that costume, sick as it is, I love it!!

Yeah man, A full quote for the glory that is the original New Teen Titans! Yes sir, I agree with all that was said above and happy to include my glee and joy to it as well!! Perez blows it away with the art of Blood, his acolytes and of course his temple (that amazing Perez pencil work)... as well as Blackfire's look (essentially a darkened Kory, but with more villainy to add that special flare!)
I remember it so damn fondly, the entirety of it
(well, at least up to the fourth or fifth issue of the Baxter Paper launch anyway)

Okay, on to my list...

Man, I had stated that I downloaded the last 6 issues or so of both Batman and Detective to read and try and catch up on, but with Williamson coming on Batman at #118 and Detective set to start a new arc that very same month, I may just wait until then. I don't know, I do miss reading a Bat'book and I was so looking forward to that Fear arc, but I have heard that while it was okay, it wasn't anything that will be remembered, so maybe I will wait another lil' bit and see what Williamson has to offer this section of DC? I know he is taking over (for the most part) so maybe?

Man, I don't know.

Think I may just try to catch up on a couple Image titles... some that I already have the first issue of and want to read more, want to get caught up on before their second arc gets too deep in and I slide them into the vault of "never to be seen or read again"

Maybe? Hell, that is what I am listing for this week for now at least.  Undecided
(And I just told Jeff I would keep my list to no more than seven to start but as this is just two titles I am giving myself a little leeway)
 Smiley

Noctura #1
Noctura #2
Noctura #3
Noctura #4
Noctura #5
Noctura #6
Geiger #1
Geiger #2
Geiger #3
Geiger #4
Geiger #5
Geiger #6

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2022, 10:55:46 AM »

Dark Knights of Steel #2-4... picked up the first issue and loved it.
Superman: Son of Kal-el #8
She Hulk #1... freebie from the LCS owner.
Titans United #6
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2022, 03:30:30 PM »

Dark Knights of Steel #2-4... picked up the first issue and loved it.

Yep, yep, I will be reading that when it hits DCI  Smiley

She Hulk #1... freebie from the LCS owner.

Will also be trying this one, once it hits MU.  Smiley I have no idea who the writer is, but the preview art I saw looked like it was done by a Stuart Immonen clone (to the Nth degree) and as I thoroughly enjoy that guy's art... well... yeah, no brainer. Perfect for a guy with a brain like mine Grin Also getting it because
I had seen where this series will include the crazy ass costumed character Jack of Hearts and I will always try something with him in it
Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 05:58:00 PM »

Will also be trying this one, once it hits MU.  Smiley I have no idea who the writer is, but the preview art I saw looked like it was done by a Stuart Immonen clone (to the Nth degree) and as I thoroughly enjoy that guy's art... well... yeah, no brainer. Perfect for a guy with a brain like mine Grin Also getting it because
I had seen where this series will include the crazy ass costumed character Jack of Hearts and I will always try something with him in it
Grin

EXACTLY!!! One of the first comics I read was a Jack of Hearts mini series from the 80s. Plus he appears in the FF Reckoning War that is going on now.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2022, 02:55:39 AM »

DC Universe Infinite
Nice House on the Lake #3
Titans United #6

Infinite Frontier #3
Justice League #64 - JL Dark backup story only
Justice League #65 - JL Dark backup story only
Justice League #66 - JL Dark backup story only
Robin #4
Batman #110
Batman #111
Detective Comics #1039
Detective Comics #1040
Batman: The Detective #4

Nice House on the Lake #3 - More mystery with no answers.  The frustration of this character is easily felt as we experience it with him.  Still a fascinating book.

Titans United #6 - The big battle with Blackfire.  Only one more old school Titans issue left in this mini!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2022, 09:46:28 AM »

Grin

EXACTLY!!! One of the first comics I read was a Jack of Hearts mini series from the 80s. Plus he appears in the FF Reckoning War that is going on now.

Well, three months from now for me  Wink Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS