HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:37:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, February 2, 2022  (Read 2175 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: February 01, 2022, 12:31:54 PM »

Almost new comic day! what are you reading?
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 03:31:59 AM »

I'm gonna read EVERYTHING!!!

I got behind last week...then I got myself within 3 books of being all caught up! Let's see!!

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Moon Knight 4; I dug it!! I love how messed up Marc Spector is!!

Inferno 2; oh MAN this is Hickman going out with such big, and awesome stuff going on!

Daredevil 35; didn't read very well to me. I think with the art not doing great to differentiate between Elektra and Mary, it felt confusing to me. Also, it felt like 'make it end...so we can get to the event sooner!!'

Amazing Spider-man 77-Still reading this. Didn't care as much for the art as much. And, in fact...the ending of this one feels entirely forgettable. I can't recall what happened! What up Jim, ?! Why is that?! I'm confused now...

DC INFINITE
Supergirl, Woman of Tomorrow; Jeff, you are right. (Perry, I know you didn't say this already. Grin ) This IS great read! Really just shows the stuff that Supergirl is made of in the eyes of a young woman, I really dig this!

Nightwing 82; a bit of a lame shoehorn of an origin/birth, but eh, there could be lies! I like it a lot. First extended Nightwing reading I've EVER done!!!

Flash 772; I feel a heel; I don't know if this writer is the same writer from the past 6 months! I hadn't even checked! Art looks...not the greatest, but it's WALLY and that's great!!!

Superman and the Authority; I don't know what Earth this is in the DC universe, but I'm glad to be here and reading it! Janin is the best!!! on art!!!

Shazam 1; this is...poor. Really poor. In all phases; writing, reveals, plot, art, art perspective, all of it. Highly disappointed

Peacemaker disturbing the peace; WHOA. This is why Ennis is one of the greatest comic writers ever. This story was...so real. Does that make sense? It's writing that takes you out of reading comics (or, it could take you out of the place where you know you're reading a book, or watching a movie) and it takes you to the place where you feel you are reading the ...truth of something. Damn great book. The artist, while looking poor on the casual flip through the book. has a lot of gravity to his pages and panels, particularly in the subtle changes of Christopher's visage. A read for anyone.

Teen Titans Academy 1; Meh. Not worth it. Okay, the ragdoll-esque character was a cool story.

Batman Secret Files the Signal; did not resonate with me. I found it wholly uninteresting. I won't be following up on Duke in the short term future.

I am Batman 0, 1; Nope, future state stuff, I found this entirely not for me, and really not that good either. Both of Lucius Fox's sons have played Batman? C'mon now...

Teen Titans Academy 5; My last issue of this. From boorish art, to empty characters lacking any kind of depth, this book is nothing but weak sauce, and I won't read the next.

Blue and Gold 1; I liked it alot! Sook's art left me cold, but the book felt right to me.

Robin 4; not my favorite artist, but I get that he brings Damian's scrawniness, and strength in small packages out well. Final splash page with cringeworthy though.

Wonder Woman 776; this books keeps going weird places with fantasy and myth, and through a complete journey. I really kinda liked this one; it landed for me!

Detective 1040; I continue to like Marika's writing on this Bat title. I'm on board with a deadlier Penguin going forward!

Batman/Superman 20; interest in the meta over-arcing story of this is waning. Ivan Reis art isn't even saving it anymore....

Infinite Frontier 3; of 6 only?! Damn, but I want more answers!!! I love the mystery of it. Grin

Action Comics Annual 2021 #1; Blech. I skipped Future State, and the less I get solid only stories from it, the better.

Up next is Superman, son of Kal-el #1, and Action Comics 1033
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 03:34:10 AM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 05:26:56 AM »

Moon Knight 4; I dug it!! I love how messed up Marc Spector is!!

So I let Perry talk me into dropping this (unbeknownst to him) and turns out Jimmy and I talked Perry into giving it another shot (unbeknownst to us)!  Now I’m thinking I should go back and pick it up again!

Peacemaker disturbing the peace; WHOA. This is why Ennis is one of the greatest comic writers ever. This story was...so real. Does that make sense? It's writing that takes you out of reading comics (or, it could take you out of the place where you know you're reading a book, or watching a movie) and it takes you to the place where you feel you are reading the ...truth of something. Damn great book. The artist, while looking poor on the casual flip through the book. has a lot of gravity to his pages and panels, particularly in the subtle changes of Christopher's visage. A read for anyone.

I skipped this.  Maybe I’ll go back and add it now since you seem to really like it.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 05:30:02 AM »

Ok here’s my list for this week. Feeling good about getting through it.

ComiXology Unlimited
Black Hammer Reborn #7
Clear #4
Deep Beyond #11
House of Slaughter #3
Nocterra Special: Blacktop Bill #1
Star Trek: The Mirror War #3
That Texas Blood #13
Time Before Time #8
Murder Me Dead TPB (Collects issues #1-9)

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 11:00:06 AM »

ComiXology Unlimited
ADD: Serial #10
Black Hammer Reborn #7
Clear #4
Deep Beyond #11
House of Slaughter #3
That Texas Blood #13
Time Before Time #8

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 03:24:34 PM »

Batman #120
JL Incarnate #4
Monkey Prince #1... gonna give it a shot
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 01:41:20 PM »

I'm gonna read EVERYTHING!!!

Well you damn sure came close  Grin

Supergirl, Woman of Tomorrow; Jeff, you are right. (Perry, I know you didn't say this already. Grin )...

Cheesy Cheesy

Superman and the Authority; I don't know what Earth this is in the DC universe, but I'm glad to be here and reading it! Janin is the best!!! on art!!!

YEAH HE IS!! This was really good

Detective 1040; I continue to like Marika's writing on this Bat title. I'm on board with a deadlier Penguin going forward!

I so much want to read this (and the arc prior) and I need to go back and get caught up on Bats and Detective but it is so damn daunting. I will at some point. I think, maybe, I am just "Bat'ed" out right now? I don't know. It is the only thing I can think of as to why I am not reading one of my favorite character's two main books
 Undecided
Batman/Superman 20; interest in the meta over-arcing story of this is waning. Ivan Reis art isn't even saving it anymore....

I think that was the last issue, yeah?

Infinite Frontier 3; of 6 only?! Damn, but I want more answers!!! I love the mystery of it. Grin

Yeah, really good.

A'ight, started a little already, but more to come...

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Moon Knight #4
Death of Doctor Strange #2
Star Wars - Heir to the Empire #4

Star Wars - Heir to the Empire #5
Star Wars - Heir to the Empire #6 (of 6)

DC INFINITE
Batman: Reptilian #2
Catwoman #28
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #1
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #2
Infinite Frontier #2

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Once and Future #7
Once and Future #8
Once and Future #9
Once and Future #10
Serial #10

Serial - Terry Moore is fantastic. His art is impeccable, his writing is tight and I always seem to enjoy his books. Always. In fact, even though it takes me about 20 seconds to read his stuff each month, I don't mind paying that "full" price for his books. It is him alone doing his books and damn-it he is doing it right. I will miss this book, but I look forward to what is coming next

Infinite Frontier - So someone told me that this is the lead up to DC allowing Williamson to take charge of the next, upcoming "Crisis" event. Now while I am not overly joyed of the thought of that happening... again... )what will the outcome be next?), I am excited to see what all is going on here, with this title, each month. I will say that if there is indeed another Crisis, I hope they eliminate the 52 worlds. Just let there be a true multiverse again.

Moon Knight - I just can't get past this art. I tried again and I just can't do it.

Death of Doctor Strange - Sadly I was spoiled on what (who) is going on here, but hey, as a fan of the good doctor, I am enjoying this. Love the confusion of the... new guy

SW: Heir to the Empire - This series is getting a little better now. It is not as jumpy feeling as it was at the start. I still am only reading this for the "re-cap" effect, as I never read the next two books in this trilogy, but I am slowly getting there.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 03:24:43 PM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Serial #10
Black Hammer Reborn #7
Clear #4

Deep Beyond #11
House of Slaughter #3
That Texas Blood #13
Time Before Time #8

Serial #10 - Wait…WHAT!?!?!?!?!?! I did not see that ending coming at all! Great book. I’m looking so forward to more adventures with Zoe!

Black Hammer Reborn #7 - Stranger and stranger.  Filling in the gaps around Colonel Weird always makes my head hurt.

Clear #4 - getting close to the end of the mystery I’d say.  This has been a decent read but not a must read.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 11:39:13 PM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Serial #10
Black Hammer Reborn #7
Clear #4

Deep Beyond #11
House of Slaughter #3

That Texas Blood #13
Time Before Time #8

Deep Beyond #11 - the penultimate issue to the story with a surprise cliff hanger.  Next issue is the big end!

House of Slaughter #3 - sadly, not as interesting as it’s sister book Something is Killing the Children.  I found this issue a little boring.

Nocterra Special: Blacktop Bill #1 - not a bad little one shot.  Gives you some insight into Blacktop Bill without giving away his origin.  They must be saving that for the main series.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 03:21:01 PM »

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Moon Knight #4

Venom #1 - just to try
Thing #1 - just to reread and see if I still feel like I did when I snuck a read at the LCS
Eternals #7 - just because this series is fan-fuckin-tastic
Aliens #7
Aliens #8
Strange Academy #13
Strange Academy Presents: Death of Doctor Strange #1
Death of Doctor Strange: Avengers #1
- Added

DC INFINITE
Catwoman #28
Infinite Frontier #2
Nice house on the Lake #3 - Just DL'ing it, not reading (shouldn't list it, really  Undecided)
Justice League #66 - Yep, same ole same ole, just the back-up story
- Added

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Once and Future #7
Once and Future #8
Once and Future #9
Once and Future #10
Serial #10

Catwoman - I do like this, I am enjoying it, but I think with everything coming up to read, that I am going to let the rest of the issues sit in my DCI downloads and then catch up a little bit later. Just too much for me to read.

Star Wars: Heir to the Empire - So I finished this and the last two issues reminded me of why I never read the next two novels. I just don't seem to care enough. Like the title above, I am going to keep the next 12 issues of this book series in my downloads, but I don't see me jumping back in soon
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2022, 01:47:05 PM »

So I'm up at 12:45 AM last night and felt like reading so I go to download and read the new comics that Marvel had scheduled on their own freaking calendar, the ones I had listed above, and find there are only a total of 8 new issues and that includes the god awful "Infinity" line of comics (Which I can't stand to read). Half of the ones they had for release this week are now, as I checked around 7:00 AM this morning set for next week, so... less to read now
 Grin
Sadly one of the ones I wanted to read last night, the Eternals, is not on this weeks list
 Cry

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Moon Knight #4

DC INFINITE
Catwoman #28

Infinite Frontier #2
Justice League #66

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Once and Future #7
Once and Future #8
Once and Future #9
Once and Future #10
Serial #10

Strange Academy Presents - Like most Marvel "tie-ins", this has very little connection to the main "event", however it does have a good connection to the event. I can't explain more without spoiling, but the little (important) connection does make this a pretty fun "Academy" story. Also included in this issue are about 5 or 6 single page mini-stories featuring other students not showcased in the main story. A good read for Academy fans.

Supergirl - Stuff like this... this is what makes me a Tom King fan. Sure people rag on him, most of which I totally understand, but when he puts his heart in something, man can that some bitch write!! I am not a Superman Family guy, even though I suppose if forced I would pick the Supergirl and/or Power-Girl side of things (wonder why?  Cheesy) but this had me so drawn in that I hated that I decided to read it now  Grin Man, now I have to try and not read this for a what... 3 more months until that last issue us set to come out?
Yes, I am hoping, much like Nice House and King's own Batman and Catwoman to wait until they are finished to read. Stuff just reads so much better for me that way. In-fact, I read a few pages of this first issue when it first hit and just pushed it away. Not that it wasn't good, but just I wasn't in the mood for it. I came back as Jeff and Jimmy praised it and my mood was a little different now. And yes sir, having the ability to finish that first issue, while still so much enthralled by it, and go directly to the next issue was nothing short of wonderful. Reaching the last page of issue #2 however I find the felling to be bordering on excruciating. ARRRHHHHH
 Grin
Hope the months fly by
 Smiley
Oh yeah, and the art... so fitting of this. Perfect. Such a great couple of issues!!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 02:08:34 AM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Serial #10
Black Hammer Reborn #7
Clear #4

Deep Beyond #11
House of Slaughter #3

That Texas Blood #13
Time Before Time #8

Star Trek: The Mirror War #3 - Just ok.  I’m starting to grow bored.  I’ll have to take a break from this universe when I’m done with this mini.

That Texas Blood #13 - Pretty good one shot ghost story.  This series still has it.

Time Before Time #8 - another good issue.  The art is a little hard on the eyes but the story is still interesting.  I’m just waiting for paradox to blow all this up!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 05:04:59 AM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Serial #10
Black Hammer Reborn #7
Clear #4

Deep Beyond #11
House of Slaughter #3

That Texas Blood #13
Time Before Time #8

Murder Me Dead TPB (Collects issues #1-9) - Easy fast read as it is with most Lapham books.  And yet so much packed into it.  Great murder mystery book.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2022, 06:01:53 PM »

Ya know, Jeff, if you read a trade that collects nine comics, it doesn't count as one comic  Wink Grin
Your list of "10" was really a list of "19"
 Cheesy

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Moon Knight #4

DC INFINITE
Catwoman #28

Infinite Frontier #2
Justice League #66

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Once and Future #7
Once and Future #8
Once and Future #9
Once and Future #10
Serial #10

Death of Doctor Strange: Avengers - Bah, again, barely a tie-in but while the last one was fun and engaging, this one was the opposite of both.
Pfft.
Done for the week
 Undecided

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS