HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 02:27:40 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 26, 2022  (Read 2999 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2022, 01:26:19 PM »

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Death of Doctor Strange #2
Fantastic Four #37
Thor #18
Star Wars - Heir to the Empire #4
Star Wars - Heir to the Empire #5
Star Wars - Heir to the Empire #6 (of 6)

DC INFINITE
Batman The Detective #4
Blue and Gold #1
Justice League #65 (Dark story only)
Nightwing #82
Peacemaker: Disturbing the Piece #1
Superman and the Authority #1

Flash #772 (cover forced my hand!!)
Catwoman #26
Catwoman #27

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Once and Future #6
Once and Future #7
Once and Future #8
Once and Future #9
Once and Future #10

Once and Future - So, issue six ends the mini, but I am guessing once they decided to expand and make it an ongoing, they added that last page. This is a good series, but perhaps more so if you are a big fan of King Arthur lore, to the point where you see stuff like "Fisher King" and can get a little giggle about it. But Hell, you don't need to know that kind of stuff as they totally use it as a plot point that is different anyway, one that seems weird at first but then, well, you understand as you go  Grin Man that art is kickin'

Blue and Gold - And dang it, not a fan of this nor what I discovered. It started early in the book when I found I was not liking this writing. But as I read I realized it wasn't just the writing that was bugging me, it was the art by Jurgens, It wasn't bad art, but it didn't look like his stuff and that irked me. Was it a new inker that was messing with his stuff or was he just missing something now. Regardless it didn't look like his stuff and that also bothered me. But than it hit me, maybe it wasn't Jurgens doing the art like I was thinking, but Jurgens on the writing duties. OH NO!!! Sure enough, Ryan Sook is the artist (decent, but not wonderful) but Jurgens, whose writing I usually enjoy, was scripting this book... and I didn't enjoy it at all. Sad thing for me to realize  Sad

Catwoman - I read these because I like Ram V and his writing, but this is starting off slowly and kind of typical. I am still interested in this new bad guy, so I am going to try and stick for a few and see where it takes me, but didn't wow me from the jump like I was hoping for.

Fantastic Four - Speaking of not wowing... I only read this as it is free and I still love my Sue Storm  Cheesy, but somehow, I don't know how, but somehow Dan Slott can write a book and it feels to me like it is the same book I read two months ago. It can be a totally different story, but it is also so much the same in tone and structure and beats and ending that when you close the book, you think and feel like you are reading the exact same story of the Fantastic Four over and over and over again.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2022, 03:56:41 PM »

DC Universe Infinite
The Nice House on the Lake #2
Titans United #5

Flash 2021 Annual #1
Flash #772

The Joker #5
Infinite Frontier #2

Blue & Gold #1
Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow #2
Nightwing #82

------------------------------------------------------

The Joker #5 - Man that was depressing.  Not sure what happened to the art but it wasn’t up to the normal quality of this book.  This seems to be a filler issue with a story from the past.  Just ok, not great.

Infinite Frontier #2 - Cool issue.  Surprisingly not hard to remember what was happening after such a long wait from when I read issue #1. Fun seeing the universe restored with characters I enjoyed.

Superman and the Authority #1 - I liked this first issue. A Grant Morrison story that’s not confusing right off the bat. 

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2022, 12:07:37 AM »

Once and Future - So, issue six ends the mini, but I am guessing once they decided to expand and make it an ongoing, they added that last page. This is a good series, but perhaps more so if you are a big fan of King Arthur lore, to the point where you see stuff like "Fisher King" and can get a little giggle about it. But Hell, you don't need to know that kind of stuff as they totally use it as a plot point that is different anyway, one that seems weird at first but then, well, you understand as you go  Grin Man that art is kickin'

I added this to my library - No excuse not to since it's basically free to borrow for ComiXology Unlimited folks.  I won't get to it right away but it's there to remind me to dig in when I get the chance.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2022, 01:41:30 AM »

DC Universe Infinite
The Nice House on the Lake #2
Titans United #5

Flash 2021 Annual #1
Flash #772

The Joker #5
Infinite Frontier #2

Blue & Gold #1
Nightwing #82

------------------------------------------------------

Blue & Gold #1 - Perry's right - this is just ok.  The "social media" dialog boxes got really annoying.  Other than that the story wasn't necessarily bad for a first issue but not interesting enough to keep me around.  I'm out.

Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow #2 - I absolutely LOVE this book.  It is my favorite current DC book, hands down.  Great issue made exceptionally great by the narrator's dialogue. 

Nightwing #82 - Very good issue.  I like the add to the family without messing with history too much. 

And hey...lookie there!  I finished my list for the week!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2022, 02:23:54 PM »

Once and Future
I added this to my library - No excuse not to since it's basically free to borrow for ComiXology Unlimited folks.  I won't get to it right away but it's there to remind me to dig in when I get the chance.

For "free"? Yep, I don't blame you.  Smiley
I am interested about something though. I am pretty sure you would fit into the "fairly familiar" category with Arthur, but I am wondering if you experience a little of the "lost feeling"... at first. And also if that makes it a book that you can't get into. I think you may be confused just a little at first, I know I was, but I am wondering if me being a huge Arthur fan (deep in the lore I mean) made me more confused than I had to be. Could have been the drugs as well  Grin Gillen does explain things along the way (without holding your hand), but I think what got me was I was kinda familiar with some names and such from the Legend itself, yet the way Gillen spun his take on it made me scratch my head...  until I discovered what he was doing.
 Smiley

Remembered that I have the first issue in my DL already so went ahead and added this. I did read the first 4 or 5 pages of issue #1, got sidetracked and just didn't get back to it yet. Kind of good timing now to do so I guess
 Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS