HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:45:40 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 26, 2022  (Read 2992 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: January 24, 2022, 04:17:19 PM »

What's everyone reading this week?
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 01:41:03 AM »

What I went to with this night was

Marvel Unlimited

Death of Dr. Strange 1 & 2; wasn't sure what I was going to think going into this; mostly that I couldn't like it, could I? HEck, I was wrong; I loved the first issue! And the 2nd was really good too!!

Inferno 1; like Jeff said, this awesomeness of a X-men book shows why all the rest of the books are crap, and why executive editorial saying "run this stuff out longer" loses the full glory of what Hickman was gonna write because X books gotta number in the teens per month, and usually not end up being worth it. GREAT FIRST ISSUE

Guardians of the Galaxy 18; I put this (meanly) being Inferno, to show how NOT to write a great coming together of various characters and storylines into 1 big moment. This sucked. It was Terrible.

Symbiote Spider-man Crossroads 4 ; WHAT?! Had me laughing all issue. I really enjoy reading this!

Captain Marvel 32, 33, and somehow I snagged 35!; yup, I got 35 on a Sunday night 2 weeks ago when the app was going all wonky. The story is pretty poor, I think but the I
got GENIS VELL back! Not the exact same guy, but he's back!!! with hints of more to come this summer!!!!!

United states of Captain America 4 & 5; I loved LOVED this idea. Captains Americas were always replacements for each other, and didn't work together with each other much at all. Having ALL of them in a single book? I love this idea! But this mini just blew. I couldn't bother reading the words in the last 2 issues. So disinterested. So very disappointed.

Trial of Magneto 3; as COOL as issue 2, this issue was rank and poor. What a weird juxtaposition of feelings.

Thor 18; Okay this was just weird, but I"m all for it! And seeing Pasqual Ferry back on Thor again was a highlight for me.

DC Infinite
Batman Urban Legends; I almost hate myself for how much I really love reading this book, but even skipping a story or two in this thing...I love reading about Jason, and Tim. Such a cool anthology book!

Suicide Squad 5; all caught up , and you know what? Enjoying my time. Mostly just because I want to keep up with a Conner that is not ever written by Bendis.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 01:43:44 AM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 03:44:38 PM »

Inferno 1; like Jeff said, this awesomeness of a X-men book shows why all the rest of the books are crap, and why executive editorial saying "run this stuff out longer" loses the full glory of what Hickman was gonna write because X books gotta number in the teens per month, and usually not end up being worth it.

Yeah, like Jeff said. Not Perry, two weeks prior, but Jeff, just now, just Jeff
 Tongue

Inferno - Man this sucks. Not the issue, I enjoyed this, a lot, but it just reminded me that this is what the X-Men books were like when they first hit just over two years ago. I have missed this. This writing, about this story. Before Marvel got their greedy little hands on this and killed all the momentum Hickman's story had. All the power and originality. All the cool ideas. Before Wolverine walked the F'n catwalk for fucks sake!!!! Yes, this reminded me so much of what I miss about Hickman's X (not that other stuff written by others). This delayed story, which should have come way sooner is going to be a great close to his run (especially for a couple mutants) and the fact that this is the last mini I will see of his great work on this group, while we were forced into reading other stuff merely to stretch the amount of money gained from this one story, totally sucks donkey balls.
 Angry
To all those that have yet to start the current X-Men stuff (if there is anyone ion the world left) do yourself a favor, read Hickman's X-books, JUST those written solely by him, and when you read this mini, this finale mini, it will all make sense. The rest is unnecessary, bullshit filler.
 Tongue

Why do I even bother going into detail about shit here?
 Undecided

Wink  Wink  Grin Grin

I read more books this week, I had more thoughts about them, but... hell, come on down, Jeff.

NEXT!!!

Grin

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

And this shouldn't need to be said, but just in-case...
I am just kidding, of course. I know that it is a lot easier to relate to something when you catch it at the same time as others. When everything is fresh on the mind.
 Smiley
All good, guys, just messing around
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 06:29:07 PM »

Don’t be jelly now!   Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 06:52:15 PM »

Don’t be jelly now!   Cheesy

Grin

Like a filled Krispy Kreme

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 08:09:41 PM »

Huuuuge DCi week this week for me. Doesn't help that I am adding Ram V's Catwoman to my downloads as I am enjoying his stuff so much.
And damn it if the guys at the shop are almost convincing me to try Spawn again. I told them if I did... IF... I could only read the ones that are not written by McFarland.
 Grin
Not ready for that this week

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Death of Doctor Strange #2
Fantastic Four #37
Thor #18
X Lives of Wolverine #1 (still not sure about this)
Star Wars - Heir to the Empire #4
Star Wars - Heir to the Empire #5
Star Wars - Heir to the Empire #6 (of 6)

DC INFINITE
Batman The Detective #4
Joker #5
Blue and Gold #1
Justice League #65 (Dark story only)
Nightwing #82
Peacemaker: Disturbing the Piece #1 (Garth Ennis? Always there for that, but this art... oh boy... not sure now)
Superman and the Authority #1 (Morrison with Jalin art? Always there for a try, even with Superman there  Grin)
Flash #772 (cover forced my hand!!)
Catwoman #26
Catwoman #27

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Once and Future #6
Once and Future #7
Once and Future #8
Once and Future #9
Once and Future #10

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 02:05:41 AM »

Perry...that was  so 2 weeks ago. Jeff just said it this week in polo! I can only remember the most editorial! I've got 2 kids under 5! Most times I forget how to say the word 'bowl' most days when offering apple sauce!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cool

That said, I"m sure whatever you post next, I'll forget too!  Grin

Also, I need to add in my DCInfinite list.

I know there's

Flash
Peacemaker by Ennis
Superman & the Authority
Nightwing
Blue and Gold
Oh yeah!
Shazam!
and Supergirl, Woman of Tomorrow; which has weird naming issues if you ask me. A worse title that was dismissed was 'Lady Miss Supergirl, the Female Woman of Tomorrow'  Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 02:44:31 AM »

This will be a DCUI week for me too.  And I’m going to keep the list to only the 10 I want to read the most.  Perhaps we’ll all hit the same books this week!

DC Universe Infinite
The Nice House on the Lake #2
Titans United #5
Flash 2021 Annual #1
Flash #772
The Joker #5
Infinite Frontier #2
Superman and the Authority #1
Blue & Gold #1
Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow #2
Nightwing #82

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 12:48:40 PM »

Only read one issue last night, but it was at 1:28 AM, so technically today  Cheesy

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Fantastic Four #37
Thor #18
X Lives of Wolverine #1 - Going to remove this for now and wait for "X Deaths of..." to hit

DC INFINITE
Batman The Detective #4
Blue and Gold #1
Nightwing #82
Peacemaker: Disturbing the Piece #1
Catwoman #26
Catwoman #27

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Once and Future #6
Once and Future #7
Once and Future #8
Once and Future #9
Once and Future #10

So decided to wait on reading that "X Lives of Wolverine" because the next issue "X Deaths of Wolverine" just hit the shops today, but it has not hit the MU like this first one did. It seems it is going to be a three month wait for 'Deaths' and I can wait, no problem. I hell, I kinda like the strategy here by Marvel. Give the first issue away digitally and then see if you get more buyers to buy the second issue. Like all meth dealers, you get 'em hooked with a freebie and then sit back and watch them come to you. Ha, doubt it will work on most of us, it is only three freaking months, but I applaud the effort from a greedy company standpoint.
 Cheesy

Flash - Hmmm, first off I am not a fan of this art, at all. Too nondescript. Too (as I call it) Dynamite like... although in this case I would call it too Zenoscope like Embarrassed  Secondly, the writing isn't all that great. It isn't bad, but it is hardly the writing that I was told was being done by the guys when they raved about this "new Flash writer" (Maybe it is a different writer?). But thirdly, and my main reason for being pissed (or pissy  Cheesy) about this issue...
I can't stand the cover trick!!! They (the big two) used to do this kind of marketing crap to younger me all the damn time. Many a quarter was given because of something I saw on the cover, only to get home to the comfort of my bedroom, plop down to read and see the story related to the cover and ... *crickets*
Now in this case the "cover trick" isn't as egregious as the that really bad one, the cover trick where they show 'something' on the cover but that 'something' never comes close to being in the issue (man, that one really burns my ass), but they do the next worse thing in showing us what character will be in the issue, but only have said character show up in the last panel or two?!?!
Damn it, I only read this issue because of the cover, I even said it above, and they do this to me? This cover character doesn't show, in costume, until the very end of the issue? Oh sure, technically he is shown before that, talking to his doc, going to his car, but you didn't put him on the cover like that, in street clothes, doing regular "every man" shit did you? No! You Put Heat Wave, with that evil smile on the cover and you tricked me. You didn't give me the guy on the cover, you pulled the ole rug out from under this old man instead. Just jerked the rug right out from this old man! This old man that has severe leg issues!! Didn't you?!?!?!
FUCK YOU!!!
 Tongue

But then again, greedy company effort?

NO!! Not the same thing.

Grin Grin
 Smiley

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 03:30:12 PM »

Batman/Catwoman Special #1... a month late but still interested.
Wonder Girl #7... curious to see if it ties into Trial of the Amazons.

My thoughts on being greedy is the need for multiple covers. I can understand 1 or 2 variants, but more than a dozen different covers is just absurd.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 08:22:18 PM »

My thoughts on being greedy is the need for multiple covers. I can understand 1 or 2 variants, but more than a dozen different covers is just absurd.

Yeah, I agree.
And if the people that pay so much for the damn things would just stop buying them the companies would stop doing them, but as long as companies are making money, they will keep at it.
I understand the desire to have a nice cover, but if you are a collector, what do you do with it? You bag it and put it in a box where you rarely see the damn thing again anyway. Stop buying them people.

And like you, back when I was buying, I liked having the idea of a couple different covers to chose from. It's a fine thing, but do it in a 50/50 ratio and not sales dependent (1 for every 100 issues ordered). Damn things are ridiculous.
but that's just me opinion on the things.
 Smiley

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 09:13:26 PM »

Yeah, I agree.
And if the people that pay so much for the damn things would just stop buying them the companies would stop doing them, but as long as companies are making money, they will keep at it.
I understand the desire to have a nice cover, but if you are a collector, what do you do with it? You bag it and put it in a box where you rarely see the damn thing again anyway. Stop buying them people.

And like you, back when I was buying, I liked having the idea of a couple different covers to chose from. It's a fine thing, but do it in a 50/50 ratio and not sales dependent (1 for every 100 issues ordered). Damn things are ridiculous.
but that's just me opinion on the things.
 Smiley

AMEN!!! I have a few variants that I thought were really cool, but, yeah, they're bagged, boarded and filed in a storage box.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 01:10:52 PM »

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Fantastic Four #37
Thor #18

DC INFINITE
Batman The Detective #4
Blue and Gold #1
Nightwing #82
Peacemaker: Disturbing the Piece #1

Catwoman #26
Catwoman #27

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Once and Future #6
Once and Future #7
Once and Future #8
Once and Future #9
Once and Future #10

Thor - Ha, great issue. You can't go into this with a serious thought in mind, which is odd to do after the last couple issues, but it still works like a charm. Seeing Thor crouched like that ... Haha

Batman: The Detective - Man I wanted to wait and read the rest of this mini in one go, but it was staring at me. Great art, good "baddie" and even with the handcuff thing that I found bullshit, this mini has been a worthy addition to Batman lore.

Justice League Dark - DAMN this was short!! Jeff has discussed this before, but this issue seemed even more transient. Still a good read, and I hope this is getting us to the end, but these ten pages felt like four to me.

Nightwing - Yeah, alright, you can tell this "history" is forced to make last issue's reveal fit, but I've seen worse. The old "this happened before THAT happened" doesn't make me feel all that great, but hey, comics! I'll get over it as long as the story is good and so far I've had little to complain about.

Peacemaker: Disturbing the Peace - Disturbing that one of my favorite writers wrote this piece for sure. Ugh, art was wack, writing made no sense...
a psychiatrist knows nothing of his childhood? The parents wouldn't "wait" on the last remaining child to get home? The microwave "dings" that it is done cooking his sister after he walks in? (Plus more)
...that I can only image that Ennis had one hour to write this comics. Ugh, yukky, and not because of the intent to make it so.

Superman and the Authority - Favorite of the week so far. Even topping the Thor issue. Wait... a Superman comic beating a Thor comic? For me?? Holy shit!!  Cheesy  Wink
Loved this future tale of Supes. Janin's art always... ALWAYS makes a book better, but the story fit along side the art perfectly. Once again Morrison doing the Supes losing his power thing, but this time a little bit... a lot differently. This was good!
A question however as it has been years since I have read anything to do with the Authority, is this Manchester Black character the current embodiment of this century (Like Jenny was for the 20th century) or could this be so far in the future that he is the 22nd century version? Just curious as I can't remember/don't know who has the claim on being the 21st century embodiment.
Regardless, I really enjoyed this!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 07:09:28 PM »

DC Universe Infinite
Titans United #5

Flash 2021 Annual #1
Flash #772
The Joker #5
Infinite Frontier #2
Blue & Gold #1
Nightwing #82

The Nice House on the Lake #2 - I really like this book.  The mystery continues as new things are discovered and we start to learn more about the characters.  I’m sure this will devolve as we move along and watching it happen will be fascinating.

Titans United #5 - another good issue.  Love the old school feel with the old and newer Titans.  Blackfire is a great villain.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 02:40:40 PM »

DC Universe Infinite
Titans United #5

Flash 2021 Annual #1
Flash #772

The Joker #5
Infinite Frontier #2
Blue & Gold #1
Nightwing #82

Flash 2021 Annual #1 - Sooo glad they ret-conned that crappy story.  Even if the retcon was pretty weak at least Justice is finally served.

Flash #772 - I love the Wally West character.  Sadly I didn’t care for this issue.  If it doesn’t get better next issue with the Heatwave battle I might be out on this one.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS