HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:02:20 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 19, 2022  (Read 2959 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: January 18, 2022, 02:24:24 PM »

New week, new comics. Whatcha getting?
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 04:30:34 PM »

Hey Rodney, hope the little one is okay
(well, yourself as well of course  Smiley)

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Kang the Conqueror #3
X-Men #4 (?-maybe-?)
Eternals Forever #1 (?-maybe-?)
X Lives of Wolverine #1 (?-maybe-?)
Star Wars - Heir to the Empire #1 (of 6)
Star Wars - Heir to the Empire #2
Star Wars - Heir to the Empire #3
Star Wars - Heir to the Empire #4
Star Wars - Heir to the Empire #5
Star Wars - Heir to the Empire #6 (of 6)

DC INFINITE
Batman The Detective #4
Infinite Frontier #2
Joker #5

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Once and Future #1
Once and Future #2
Once and Future #3
Once and Future #4
Once and Future #5
Once and Future #6

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 05:15:35 PM »

Hey Rodney, hope the little one is okay
(well, yourself as well of course  Smiley)

All good in da hood. She is back at school. My son and I both were negative.

On Sunday, I played my first game of adult dodge ball with guys from my old kickball team. We tied 3-3 and then had celebratory drinks with our team sponsor.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 10:29:26 PM »

Not waiting for it to come to MU?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 12:12:32 AM »

Hey, Jeff did you know this thread was locked?

Planned lock or was it a mistake by me? I may have done it by mistake when I first replied to Rodney. I don't think I did, but that doesn't mean I didn't though. If so, if it was me, sorry guys
 Angry Lips sealed
I didn't even know how to lock until I looked how to unlock it if it was me
 Cheesy

EDIT -

Not waiting for it to come to MU?

Yeah, not sure how but that showed up in this weeks upcoming Marvel U list when I looked earlier but it is just hitting the racks this week. I didn't know that originally. But yeah, no way I am paying for Percy  Grin I added it with a "maybe" because it is Percy and I may read it for free, but yeah, they have since fixed that.
 Grin
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 12:17:44 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 05:35:24 AM »

Hey, Jeff did you know this thread was locked?

No I didn’t.  I could just have easily accidentally locked it but who knows.  Thanks for fixing it.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 05:36:54 AM »

Here’s my list.

Marvel Unlimited
X-Force #23
The Trial of Magneto #2
X-Men #3
Onslaught Revelations #1
Inferno #1
Wolverine #16
X-Force #24
X-Men #4

Symbiotic Spider-Man: Crossroads #3
Symbiotic Spider-Man: Crossroads #4
Death of Doctor Strange #1
Lucky the Pizza Dog Infinity Comic #1
Winter Guard #2
The Marvels #5
Black Cat #10
Thor #17
Eternals: Celestial #1
Dark Ages #2
Defenders #3
Captain Marvel #33
Kang the Conquerer #3
Gamma Flight #4
Iron Man #13
Immortal Hulk #50

------------------------------------------------------

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 10:59:43 AM »

All good in da hood. She is back at school. My son and I both were negative.

On Sunday, I played my first game of adult dodge ball with guys from my old kickball team. We tied 3-3 and then had celebratory drinks with our team sponsor.

Great!  Smiley Man I miss doing stuff like that, my old broken down ass  Cheesy but I hope you had a blast!
Glad all is well

Here’s my list.

Marvel Unlimited
The Trial of Magneto #2

Crap, I didn't see that! I bet someone threw that "X Lives of Wolverine #1" up on the list instead of this one. Must go back and DL this one! Thanks for putting it on your list
 Cheesy

Ugh, I just can not read those damn things. Like falling in a never ending pit with bright lights slamming you in the eyes after every single panel
 Angry

Defenders #3

This will probably be your last one.  Grin I only say that because I know you were not a fan of the art, but I also think the story is not one to stick with. I'm pretty sure it was my last issue, but we will see. I may try #4 just to make sure. But hey, hope you dig it

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Kang the Conqueror #3
X-Men #4 (?-maybe-?)
Eternals Forever #1 (?-maybe-?)
Trial of Magneto #2

DC INFINITE
Batman The Detective #4
Infinite Frontier #2
Joker #5

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Once and Future #1
Once and Future #2

Once and Future #3
Once and Future #4
Once and Future #5
Once and Future #6

Kang - Okay, I am still here and will finish this mini because I think it is both well done and pretty cool, but this issue left me feeling a little bit "Wait... what...?" with its non-paradox. Still a good smart book, I think
 Cheesy

Star Wars: Heir to the Empire - Okay, so I read the first book of this trilogy, the book that this six issues covers and I can tell you now, they did not do a great job of carry over the most important things from the book. Not saying the "good stuff" isn't here, but more that they try to add too much of the other, interesting items from the book, but end up not expressing them in the same way or being so short with the text that you are only getting the information, not the why and how of the information.
Like for example,
they put in Thrawn's military intelligence by showing us that first Rebel/Empire fight and he describes his maneuver and why he did what he did to attack the Rebels, but it just doesn't come close to actually relaying all of the information in the way they did in the book so it comes out all weird like. And there are other examples of things not being explained enough: top of which are the creatures that stop the Force (they barely talk about them, but they are in the book), the fake Falcon, the trap for Han, Leah and Luke, etc...
and I just think the writer/editor team could have done a better job of either leaving some things out to make more room to go further into other items, or go a little deeper into what they were showing. Still going to finish, I just hope it gets a little tighter by the time I am onto the second mini. I know that is the problem with adaptions and I expected things to be left out or skimmed over, but this is still a lot clunkier than it should have been. I may just have to read the other two books
 Grin

Once and Future - Okay, ya got me! An Arthurian story? Yep. I'm there!
 Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 11:02:42 AM by Perry » Logged

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 03:38:15 PM »

Small haul and still trying to finish last week's books.

Aquaman the Becoming #5
Black Manta #5
Nightwing #88
Superman: Son of Kal-el #7
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 01:52:37 AM »

Don’t ask me to explain it but apparently that X Lives of Wolverine is free to download in the MU app.  Maybe that’s the confusion?  At any rate I added it.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 03:43:28 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Force #23
The Trial of Magneto #2
X-Men #3
Onslaught Revelations #1

Inferno #1
Wolverine #16
X-Force #24
X-Men #4

Winter Guard #2
The Marvels #5
Black Cat #10
Thor #17
Dark Ages #2
Defenders #3
Captain Marvel #33
Kang the Conquerer #3
Gamma Flight #4
Iron Man #13
Immortal Hulk #50

X-Force #23 - I like that we’re getting a story with Colossus’s brother in it. Likely means the Rasputin’s will be having a reunion.

The Trial of Magneto #2 - Well that’s confusing! The wait between issues is killing me.  Loved seeing Magneto in battle.  Felt like the old days.

X-Men #3 - You’d think the High Evolutionary would make it interesting.  Not so much. I found this issue to be boring.  But it setup some things for the future so we will see.

Onslaught Revelations #1 - I’m so glad this wrapped up this story in this one issue.  I thought it would never end.  Terrible writing.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 01:49:13 PM »

Snow day!! Started snowing about 6 PM yesterday and stopped about 6 AM today. It only hit for about 3 inches ("That's what she said."... no... wait...  Cheesy), but we just got done cleaning off the drive, the wife is fixin' me some homemade biscuits and sausage gravy (You have no idea!!!) and I am hoping to get some reading in today before the NFL playoffs, if I don't carb crash prior, but here is what I was able to get knocked out so far.
(And Jeff, I could wait no longer  Undecided)

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Kang the Conqueror #3
X-Men #4
Eternals Forever #1
Trial of Magneto #2

DC INFINITE
Batman The Detective #4
Infinite Frontier #2
Joker #5

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Once and Future #1
Once and Future #2

Once and Future #3
Once and Future #4
Once and Future #5
Once and Future #6
Reckless v3 - Destroy All Monsters - added

X-Men - I don't know, there is nothing that hits here that screams "bad" to me, but also nothing that shouts "good". I guess the only feeling I get is "nothing". Putting this title on "Black Alert". Going to only read it when I am either all cught up or just feel like a quick, non-emotional story.  Undecided

Eternals: Forever - Okay, yeah, a "newbie" look at some old Eternals style reading. Not really, totally tying in to what Keiron Gillen is doing. More of a... I don't know... meh.

Trial of Magneto - Still enjoying this. I hope the person that... did the crime, is not the one everything is pointing to, and I am not talking about the character in the title. However, I do know that this is leading to a hell of a fight here soon and I am so down with it.

Infinite Frontier - Really enjoying this, but damn do I hope the next issue hits DCI faster than the time between the first issue and this one. It is hard for me to read and remember from month to month now, much less with this titles release schedule so far.

Once and Future - Love the art and digging the hell out of this story so far. Really good and hey, lots of free issues on Comixology Unlimited

Reckless - Destroy All Monsters - So I signed up fo CU again to get a great price on reading Once and Future (18 issues for free vs the $7 for Unlimited = .39¢ an issue  Smiley) and I was also hoping for a better price on this latest volume of Brubaker's Reckless, but... no.  Cheesy I mean, okay, I got an extra 10% off, but still paid $17 for this damn thing. I was so into the first two books that I couldn't stop thinking about this last one. It kept knocking on my feeble little brain and so I finally broke down and got it. Of course, and I knew this would be the case, it is the least enjoyable one of the bunch. Hahaha. It was still Brubaker doing a crime book so there is only so bad that it can be, but out of all of his Reckless books, this is the one I enjoyed the least. Should I have waited for a sale, yep, no doubt, and one will probably pop up within the month... as is my luck... but hey, I enjoyed the series and that is the main thing one can hope for, even if one overpays every now and again.
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 02:34:39 PM »

HIYA BOYOS!!!!

Long time no hear, amirite? Been at a new job since the 3rd, haven't been reading anything up until the last 3 days, then I was a buzzsaw going through stuff! And boy do I have some things I need to speak on!! Some here, some in threads about the characters! Here we go!!

MARVEL UNLIMITED

I still hate tracking things through this app, for what I've read!

Trial of Magneto 2
X-men 3
Onslaught Revelations
X-men 4
-I may go longer about these in an X-men thread, but what a bunch of waste, to be honest. I've got the feeling the Onslaught stuff had to be slid sideways and shut down to allow Inferno to happen since Hickman said he was leaving and Marvel could do what they want with the X, but here's my last story if you want it.
Duggan's X-men, in 3 and 4, just seems....odd and weak. I know it will always end with people offering the X heroes some local dinner. check.

Iron Man 12-13; getting to the big point of it, and it's a big point, but the sum total of all the past issues don't feel that it's added up to a great YEAR of this writing.

Miles Morales Spider-man 30-31; I'm 42, so maybe it's just my age, but I think his new suit looks like absolute ass. Not impressed. These issues were very slow movers. The 'anniversary' of issue 30 to highlight Miles' 10 years was particularly nothing in scope of writing, of really impactful writing. I read this because the character interests me, and the fact it only takes 4 minutes to read an issue. Is that a boon? I don't know.

Kang the Conqueror 2-3; I love time travel, I love Kang stuff, and I love how I'm barely not confused, but I feel a confidence by the end, I'm really gonna love how they circled around the character and gotten to a core of him, to a statement of him. I really do.

Gamma Flight 3-4-5: I'm glad I did read this. A bit of good side effort to the Immortal Hulk.

Amazing Spider-man 73-76; end of Spencer's to the first 2 parts of Beyond. This deserves it's own thread

Thor 17 - I just love reading Thor, and each writer just gets Thor and where they can go.

Moon Knight 2-3; I'm with ya Jeff, I like this book!!

DC INFINITE

Green Lantern 4 - terrible art, and I want more and for this to go forward faster. but it feels like this book was delayed...

Flash Annual 2021 #1 - Oh this deserves it's own thread!

Infinite Frontier 2 - about time! And I love it!

Wonder Woman 775- okay, i kind of really feel that I don't know what the hell is going on, nor why the hell it's going on. I'm just about at the point where I'll look at the pictures without reading it.

Wonder Girl 2 - I'm more interested at this, to see a legend grow, and other circles of WW's history be involved. I like it for that.

Batman the Detective 4  - I really like this book. I'm really saddened by well over 350+ people being killed to set right the balance of Batman's saving them! That's...terrible!!

Detective 1039 - oky, this book feels like Batman has been 'losing' for a while; when does the hero triumph at some point?!

Suicide Squad 2-4; Don't know why, but I'm reading!

Joker 5 - this was worthless, terrible art, and I simply could not actually read this issue. I couldn't . I tried, but there was no getting into it.

Batman 110- I like this book! Thank you Tynion!!

Robins 4 - I love this book! I think i"m the only one!!

Titans United 5 - dug this issue! I like the great callbacks to the first 3 issues in how Conner was treated to really highlight how he feels now. Great stuff!

New Teen Titans from the 80s 17-18; Oh! Here's the first showing powers of Wally's girlfriend Frankie! Stuff from Johns Flash run makes more sense. Cheesy

Crime Syndicate 5 - I love the references to an Earth-3 editorial group referencing comics that never happened. I love it. Hee hee! Also, just when I feel the 'good guys' are gonna win, no the Syndicate still takes the moment! lol

Batman/Superman 19- I like this title. It's fun!

Superman 32- I don't like this. It's poor.

Action 1032 - I like this set up towards a story I'm getting interested in. Very much so.

It's been so long since I posted, and I don't remember if I said I did, so I also read Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow, Nightwing 81, Flash 771, Titans Academy 4
Robin 3 - I"m gonna keep following this. I want to see Damian make some kind of good journey.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 02:35:48 PM »

And IMMORTAL HULK 50; ...not what I thought...it would be.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 01:30:03 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Force #23
The Trial of Magneto #2
X-Men #3
Onslaught Revelations #1

Inferno #1
Wolverine #16
X-Force #24
X-Men #4

ADD:  X-Men: The Trial of Magneto #3

ADD:  Death of Doctor Strange #2
Winter Guard #2
The Marvels #5
Black Cat #10
Thor #17
ADD:  Thor #18
Dark Ages #2
Defenders #3
Captain Marvel #33
Kang the Conquerer #3
Gamma Flight #4
Iron Man #13
Immortal Hulk #50
ADD:  Fantastic Four #37

Inferno #1 - THIS.  THIS is what Hickmans X-Men was supposed to be like.  Great story and I hope he writes them all.  Moria’s gonna be even more pissed when she finds out Charles and Mags screwed up the one thing she told them to do!

Wolverine #16 - Meh. Glad this story is finished. It wasn’t that interesting.  The next arc looks promising though.

X-Force #24 - Whoa! This went darker than I expected! Good issue and issues like this are why I keep coming back.

X-Men #4 - While I’m not a fan of Nightmare, I liked this issue better than the last one.  I’m not sure where they’re going with this title, but if something doesn’t happen soon I’m going to be moving on.

X-Men: The Trial of Magneto #3 - A lot of wasted space on this issue. I think this issue could have just been three or four pages long.  I’m hoping the next issue moves along more.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS