HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:50:19 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 5, 2022  (Read 3758 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2022, 01:09:20 PM »

Teen Titans Academy #4 - Ugh. I don’t even care who Red X is anymore.  I’m just going to look it up on the internet and stop wasting my time on this.

Not sure why, but I couldn't get past the first two pages of this titles first issue when I flipped through it at the LCS.

Titans United #4 - Good issue!  Reminds me so much of the Titans of old and how much fun their stories were.  Pleasant surprise these days.

I was thinking about adding this so I went back to see what you and Rodney thought of it (Hey Rodney, hope the little one is doing okay. Also, what did you think of this Titans issue?). I will go ahead and add this to my list and see how it hits for me. Thanks
(Oh, it isn't written by the same writer as Titans Academy is it? I forgot to look at that Undecided)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2022, 02:34:46 PM »

I'm 2 weeks behind now!!! Just wasn't the week for me to be reading!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2022, 04:12:19 PM »

I'm 2 weeks behind now!!! Just wasn't the week for me to be reading!

Smiley
I understand. Heck, every week seems that way to me and my reading  Grin

But you'll get 'em next week
 Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2022, 02:51:02 PM »

Batman #119... I really like the dynamics of Bruce vs Lex.
Superman: Son of Kal-el #6
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2022, 03:12:12 AM »

DC Universe Infinite
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #1
Nightwing #81
Flash #771

Teen Titans Academy #4
Robin #3

Batman: White Knight presents Von Freeze #1
Checkmate #1 - yeah I know it’s Bendis…
Justice League #63 - backup JL Dark only

Detective Comics #1038
Green Arrow 80th Anniversary 100 Page Super #1
Teen Titans Academy 2021 Yearbook #1

If I have time:
Adventures of Superman #438 (1987) - First appearance of Vril Dox, Senior.
L.E.G.I.O.N. #4
L.E.G.I.O.N. #5
L.E.G.I.O.N. #6
L.E.G.I.O.N. #7
L.E.G.I.O.N. #8
L.E.G.I.O.N. #9
L.E.G.I.O.N. #10
L.E.G.I.O.N. #11
L.E.G.I.O.N. #12
L.E.G.I.O.N. #13
L.E.G.I.O.N. #14
L.E.G.I.O.N. #15

------------------------------------------------------

Batman: White Knight presents Von Freeze #1 - Good news! You don’t have to read the White Knight storyline to enjoy this.  It was a really good one shot story. It’s got Nazi’s, Victor Freeze, and all kinds of drama.  Thumbs up.

Checkmate #1 - Ah. I didn’t realize this Leviathan story never ended.  This is probably ok but I lost interest in this ages ago.  I’m out but you might like it.

Justice League #63 - backup JL Dark only - I wish this was in its own book.  This storyline is fun to read but soooooo short!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2022, 10:44:21 AM »

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Darkhold Alpha
Inferno #1
Black Cat #10

Thor #17
Defenders #3
Eternals: Celestia #1

DC INFINITE
Batman: The Detective #2
Batman: The Detective #3
Checkmate #1
Batman and Scooby-Doo Mysteries Extravaganza #1
Justice League #64 (J.L Dark only)
Justice League: Infinity #1
Nice House on the Lake #2

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Nailbiter #7
Nailbiter #8
- Added
Magic Order v2 #1
Magic Order v2 #2
Serial #9
Reckless v1
Reckless v2 Friend of the Devil v2

Defenders - Man, this is getting crazy. And by crazy I mean so far out of my ability to lie down in bed at night, when I am tired, just trying to read a little before passing out and I try to read and grasp this crazy ass story. Haha. I like the art, I like the idea, but man I am struggling to grab this story by its monster wizard's three eys and run with it. WOW. Just... yeah, crazy.

Reckless - Great first issue. Ha, seems weird to say that about a 140 something page trade, but that is the basic idea of this book. A three volume/issue trade set/mini. Like almost all of Brubaker's stuff, a smart crime book that hits you right in the mouth and doesn't insult you by making people dumber than they would be or have people do totally stupid things just to set the story. And as a huge crime/mystery reader, that is what I so thoroughly enjoy. Man, so good. Look forward to the second "issue" and man, it is gonna be hard for me not to pay full price for that last book. Hope it goes on sale this week
 Grin Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2022, 11:58:02 AM »

Reckless - Great first issue. Ha, seems weird to say that about a 140 something page trade, but that is the basic idea of this book. A three volume/issue trade set/mini. Like almost all of Brubaker's stuff, a smart crime book that hits you right in the mouth and doesn't insult you by making people dumber than they would be or have people do totally stupid things just to set the story. And as a huge crime/mystery reader, that is what I so thoroughly enjoy. Man, so good. Look forward to the second "issue" and man, it is gonna be hard for me not to pay full price for that last book. Hope it goes on sale this week
 Grin Cheesy

I enjoyed this too as well as the second one.  Like you I’m waiting for that price drop on the third but it’s so hard!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2022, 12:53:01 PM »

Go back to bed, Jeff
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2022, 04:41:08 PM »

Go back to bed, Jeff
 Grin

Ha!  I did!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2022, 04:58:45 AM »

Didn’t quite get done with my list this week but was close.

DC Universe Infinite
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #1
Nightwing #81
Flash #771

Teen Titans Academy #4
Robin #3

Batman: White Knight presents Von Freeze #1
Checkmate #1 - yeah I know it’s Bendis…
Justice League #63 - backup JL Dark only

Detective Comics #1038
Green Arrow 80th Anniversary 100 Page Super #1
Teen Titans Academy 2021 Yearbook #1

If I have time:
Adventures of Superman #438 (1987) - First appearance of Vril Dox, Senior.
L.E.G.I.O.N. #4
L.E.G.I.O.N. #5
L.E.G.I.O.N. #6
L.E.G.I.O.N. #7
L.E.G.I.O.N. #8
L.E.G.I.O.N. #9
L.E.G.I.O.N. #10
L.E.G.I.O.N. #11
L.E.G.I.O.N. #12
L.E.G.I.O.N. #13
L.E.G.I.O.N. #14
L.E.G.I.O.N. #15

------------------------------------------------------

Detective Comics #1038 - Good continuation of the story.  The addition of the Penguin is nice and his backup story bodes ill tidings for the Batman.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2022, 01:56:36 PM »

Didn't finish as strong as I hoped

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Dark Ages #2
Darkhold Alpha
Inferno #1
Black Cat #10

Thor #17
Defenders #3
Eternals: Celestia #1

DC INFINITE
Batman: The Detective #2
Batman: The Detective #3
Checkmate #1
Batman and Scooby-Doo Mysteries Extravaganza #1
Justice League #64 (J.L Dark only)
Justice League: Infinity #1

Nice House on the Lake #2
Titans United #1
Titans United #2
Titans United #3
- Added

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Nailbiter #7
Nailbiter #8
- Added
Magic Order v2 #1
Magic Order v2 #2
Serial #9
Reckless v1
Reckless v2 Friend of the Devil v2

Eternals: Celestia - Okay, this issue brings forth a couple more Eternals we haven't had a lot of time with yet, so for that I am happy. And I do like the juxtaposition of said two characters as well, that was kinda cool. This one-shot also ties back into the Avengers and what went down with that first arc of theirs and well, okay, sure, that was cool. Decent enough, but the art, while okay, was not something I would like an entire series with. But hey, for a one shot fill I am fine with it.

Titans United - Speaking of art I wouldn't like a series to be around... this one. The story is okay, I guess, though I am still not a fan of this version of Raven (And I never will be as it isn't Raven!!!) so I am sure that didn't help. But while the story didn't pull me in and I am debating whether to even finish the last three issues, it is more that I don't want to see that damn Dynamite'esgue art again. And those damn bright ass colors? I am tired of having to dim my tablet because the stories are so damn luminescence!  Undecided

J.L Dark - Like Jeff, I am tired of 9 or 10 page count on this story. I say that as someone that doesn't usually mind the "anthology" approach where you only get 8 pages or so worth of story but also get three or four stories. But here, maybe it is the fact that the first story is getting twice the amount? Maybe it is because this story needs the more pages to tell a cohesive story? Whatever it is it reared it's head this month. I didn't enjoy the end of this, when it ended, how it ended, anything. It needed a few more pages here. Oh well, I think this is only lasting a little bit longer. Hope the next issue ends at a good point. And I had to look up that last page reveal. HA, know idea who that was so the impact that should have been there was non-existent for me. Maybe older readers got it? I mean, I now know, but still, I am like "Okay. Neat. Next?"  Cheesy

Justice League Infinity - This was stated as a "13+" book so I thought I was going to get a nice contrast in the animation style with a more adult (or teen or up) tone but this read to me almost like an all ages book. It wasn't, but I didn't get the weirdness that I was hoping for either. Ya know where you see the animation but it is more for adults. That was my fault, not the comic's however. I am the one that assumed. Grin

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS