HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:13:49 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 5, 2022  (Read 3759 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: January 04, 2022, 03:34:25 PM »

Happy New Year!!! What did you get and what are you reading?
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 09:44:46 PM »

I’m still working through my Marvel list today but I’ll be switching to my DC list starting tomorrow.

DC Universe Infinite
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #1
Nightwing #81
Flash #771
Teen Titans Academy #4
Robin #3
Batman: White Knight presents Von Freeze #1
Checkmate #1 - yeah I know it’s Bendis…
Justice League #63 - backup JL Dark only
Detective Comics #1038
Green Arrow 80th Anniversary 100 Page Super #1
Teen Titans Academy 2021 Yearbook #1

If I have time:
Adventures of Superman #438 (1987) - First appearance of Vril Dox, Senior.
L.E.G.I.O.N. #4
L.E.G.I.O.N. #5
L.E.G.I.O.N. #6
L.E.G.I.O.N. #7
L.E.G.I.O.N. #8
L.E.G.I.O.N. #9
L.E.G.I.O.N. #10
L.E.G.I.O.N. #11
L.E.G.I.O.N. #12
L.E.G.I.O.N. #13
L.E.G.I.O.N. #14
L.E.G.I.O.N. #15

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 12:25:18 AM »

Did you read the first two series already? If not, you may want to at least read the first one. You may not need to, but given what the series is based on, you may
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 12:40:03 AM »

Did you read the first two series already? If not, you may want to at least read the first one. You may not need to, but given what the series is based on, you may
 Smiley

No I haven’t.  I don’t know anything about it.  Just thought this looked interesting.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 01:05:08 PM »

No I haven’t.  I don’t know anything about it.  Just thought this looked interesting.

Okay, cool. Now I have to wonder if you will be left a little confused or if it will read pretty well regardless. Be sure to let us know!
 Grin

I decided to kill the older Marvel and DC stuff from my moving list. I still have them in my downloads so they are still there to be read when I am in the mood or get a chance, but no reason to keep moving them each week when I am not reading them. I will just add them when I do get to 'em

Oh, hey guys, good news (for us digital guys that enjoyed the JLA cartoons anyway), this coming week Justice League Infinity #1 drops! I've been waiting for that puppy!! Saw a preview, looks just like the old cartoon but written by J.M. DeMatteis, with a 13+ ranking on the book, I hope it not only has a good story, but also brings back all kinds of good feels. 
 Smiley

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Kang the Conqueror #1
Kang the Conqueror #2
X-Men: The Onslaught Revelation #1
Death of Doctor Strange #1
Darkhold Alpha
Inferno #1
Black Cat #10
Thor #17
Eternals: Celestia #1
Dark Ages #2
Defenders #3
- Monday

DC INFINITE
Batman: The Detective #2
Batman: The Detective #3
Batman and Scooby-Doo Mysteries Extravaganza #1
Justice League #64 (J.L Dark only)
Justice League: Infinity #1
Nice House on the Lake #2
- Tuesday

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Nailbiter #7
Magic Order v2 #1
Magic Order v2 #2
Serial #9

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 07:34:16 PM »

This morning, my daughter tested positive for COVID. I will be working from home and quarantining with her for the next week. Comics will have to wait.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 07:45:37 PM »

This morning, my daughter tested positive for COVID. I will be working from home and quarantining with her for the next week. Comics will have to wait.

Hopefully she feels better quickly.  When my daughter had it last year it only affected her for a day or two and then she was fine.  Fingers crossed it’s the same for yours.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 10:06:05 PM »

Yeah Rodney, best wishes for a speedy recovery.
My youngest daughter has it as well and while she feel pretty rough at times, she is mostly having cold like symptoms. Omichron I am assuming. She is also almost 30, so able to take care of herself. Yours is younger, so make sure you give her lots of love
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 03:57:25 AM »

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing #81
Flash #771

Teen Titans Academy #4
Robin #3
Detective Comics #1038

If I have time:
L.E.G.I.O.N. #4
L.E.G.I.O.N. #5
L.E.G.I.O.N. #6
L.E.G.I.O.N. #7
L.E.G.I.O.N. #8
L.E.G.I.O.N. #9
L.E.G.I.O.N. #10
L.E.G.I.O.N. #11
L.E.G.I.O.N. #12
L.E.G.I.O.N. #13
L.E.G.I.O.N. #14
L.E.G.I.O.N. #15

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow #1 - Excellent first issue.  Life isn’t so easy under a red sun.  It’s got action, emotion, swords, and arrows.  Oh, and Krypto!

Nightwing #81 - HOLY CRAP!!!!!!  MIND BLOWN!!!! Definitely the book of the week!

Flash #771 - I hate it when a cover spoils the inside of a comic.  I’m torn on this arc. At times I like it and at times I hate it.  I’m usually drawn back in by the end of the issue and that’s the case here.  Looking forward to the big ending(?) coming up in the Annual.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 10:58:41 AM »

Forgot to add that DC Checkmate book and to delete the Marvel I had already read from my original post this week
 Cheesy
I suck, hard
 Cheesy

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Kang the Conqueror #1
Kang the Conqueror #2
X-Men: The Onslaught Revelation #1
Death of Doctor Strange #1

Darkhold Alpha
Inferno #1
Black Cat #10

Thor #17
Dark Ages #2
Defenders #3
- Monday

DC INFINITE
Checkmate #1
- Tuesday

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Nailbiter #7
Magic Order v2 #1
Magic Order v2 #2
Serial #9

Checkmate - This was good, it was, but it being released so damn late, so far after when it was supposed to be released (and when it was relevant), it just felt so non-impactful. I liked what I read, but would have enjoyed it more two years ago. Especially when my memory of the events prior would have been slightly more fresh. Took me a bit to settle in.

Darkhold Alpha - Eh, okay, sure... I guess? This was an odd bird for me. Almost seemed to be a story written for a younger reader yet... I don't know. I may try the Darkhold Omega, the bookend of this to see how it wraps up, but I doubt I will read the 5 (character solo) issues in-between

Black Cat - Damn it. Another title that I really used to enjoy buy has left me feeling less than happy after the last two issues. Nothing truly wrong here, maybe I am just not a fan of this story/arc, but yeah, not 'into' this too much at all. I will probably finish the arc to get to the next one, but I hope this one is short.

Inferno - Man this sucks. Not the issue, I enjoyed this, a lot, but it just reminded me that this is what the X-Men books were like when they first hit just over two years ago. I have missed this. This writing, about this story. Before Marvel got their greedy little hands on this and killed all the momentum Hickman's story had. All the power and originality. All the cool ideas. Before Wolverine walked the F'n catwalk for fucks sake!!!! Yes, this reminded me so much of what I miss about Hickman's X (not that other stuff written by others). This delayed story, which should have come way sooner is going to be a great close to his run (especially for a couple mutants) and the fact that this is the last mini I will see of his great work on this group, while we were forced into reading other stuff merely to stretch the amount of money gained from this one story, totally sucks donkey balls.
 Angry
To all those that have yet to start the current X-Men stuff (if there is anyone ion the world left) do yourself a favor, read Hickman's X-books, JUST those written solely by him, and when you read this mini, this finale mini, it will all make sense. The rest is unnecessary, bullshit filler.
 Tongue

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 12:37:28 PM »

Yeah Rodney, best wishes for a speedy recovery.
My youngest daughter has it as well and while she feel pretty rough at times, she is mostly having cold like symptoms. Omichron I am assuming. She is also almost 30, so able to take care of herself. Yours is younger, so make sure you give her lots of love
 Smiley

Thanks, everyone! She took all three dogs to bed last night after binge watching season 1 of Bella & the Bulldogs.

And my boyfriend did a masked drive-by and brought me comics and wine.

I am very grateful that my boss lets me work from home.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 04:56:40 PM »

And my boyfriend did a masked drive-by and brought me comics and wine.

I am very grateful that my boss lets me work from home.

Grin
Gotta love the masked drive-bys

And yes, I am actually surprised at how many companies/groups went back to office style. I say if it was working with everyone being able to do that, stay at home and be just as (if not more) productive, why go back to the dailies? I can see coming in once a week or every two for a recap/summary/discussion type session, but heck yeah, save the office rent and let peeps work at home if ya can

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Darkhold Alpha
Inferno #1
Black Cat #10

Thor #17
Dark Ages #2
Defenders #3
- Monday

DC INFINITE
Checkmate #1
- Tuesday

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Nailbiter #7
Magic Order v2 #1
Magic Order v2 #2
Serial #9

Thor - Hmmmm, Maybe I am just not in a mood to read anything but Hickman right now but this was... fine, I think even though I enjoy the family dynamic and hope to see more stories come from it, what was here was just okay. I will say that the last page of this book did give me a little perk (even though you could see it coming a mile away). I'm hoping for a good arc with that at least.

Batman: The Detective - Man oh man does DC have the proper Kubert or what. I have said it before and I will say it again here, Andy Kubert is so much better than his brother Adam it aint funny. And Taylor once again taking a simple thing and just pulling me in so damn much with it. This is only a six issue mini so I may try and read the last three back to back, but I don't know. Me like this. Love the contrast of Bat colors too
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 01:26:30 PM »

So as I am going at a pretty good clip with my reading this week (for me at least  Grin) I Decided I would bite the bullet and order that Terry Moore OGN: Ever. It is still pretty cheap and the reviews look great (even though I have heard other wise from... FROM BRIAN  Tongue... at the big LCS. However... yeah, I got sidetracked. Decided to take a look around and I saw that Brubaker's OGN Reckless was on sale. I have yet to read that and was in more a "Criminal" mood, plus Reckless was discounted by $5, but what really got me was the second volume of the series(?) "Friend of the Devil" is on sale for half price!! I will wait on the third as it is still up there, but yeah, looks like I am going to wait on Ever again. In fact, it may take me fo... no. I am not gong to make that joke.
 Cheesy
I also looked around the "Sales" section and found one thing on sale that I have wanted, but didn't pull the trigger (I got Brubaker after all) and one that I am still waiting for to go on-sale so I can grab that sucka

- Monsters - is on-sale for half price for those that are interested. Conan journeyman Barry Windsor-Smith's semi-take on Hulk. Not entirely, but kinda. I saw this at the LCS and it looks cool. I will get at some point.

- Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done? - Also saw this at the LCS and man I want this to go on-sale!!! I am super interested in this true story about the guy that inspired the Silence of the Lambs and Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies. Super creepy with art by The Goon's very own Eric Powell!!

Anyway, onto a couple more checked off

MARVEL UNLIMITED
Dark Ages #1
Darkhold Alpha
Inferno #1
Black Cat #10

Thor #17
Dark Ages #2
Defenders #3

DC INFINITE
Checkmate #1

OTHER PUBLISHERS
Nailbiter #7
Nailbiter #8
- Added
Magic Order v2 #1
Magic Order v2 #2
Serial #9
Reckless v1
Reckless v2 Friend of the Devil v2
- added

Batman: The Detective - Nothing new to add from my last post. Like the story, love the art. Yep good stuff (Oh yeah, not sure if this is true as I saw it on BC, but I hear that all of DC's comics coming out this week, all 12 of them, is either a Batman title, is a Batman family book or has Batman in it. That can't be true can it? I haven't looked yet, but man I hope not.

Batman and Scooby-Doo Mysteries Extravaganza - Speaking of... Yeah, with the upcoming release of the more adult version of the Justice League cartoon coming out Tuesday, and my over-excited state to read that book, I wanted to jump into that style a little early and check out some Scoob. Dang it. This was a reprint of the first two issues of the digital B&SD mysteries, but it was, well, okay. Batman finds out someone took his old Purple Gloves he used to wear and... yeah... cartoon chaos ensues. I am hoping for more from Justice League in three more days
 Grin

Nailbiter - Ugh, I don't know. Again, I have said it countless times, I don't do well with cops being shown being overly stupid or doing things cops would never do and... well, lots of that in here. I am pretty sure this is why I never finished this series the first time around. That and I usually have a habit of not going too far in a series in the first place  Cheesy but issue seven's inclusion of a certain Brian Bendis did little for the issue. Then the next issue has more things I started to see (like a serial killer that "tortures people to death" but we are shown an image of this killer with a person tied to a post, seemingly unharmed otherwise, but with the killer making a sweeping arc with a knife to cut said person's throat? That is not torturing someone to death, that is a quick, though gruesome, death! At least show me a tv in the background with a CW show being aired so I can say "Oh yeah, he tortured that guy first!"  Grin).
Still going to stick with it for another couple more issues, I have them, so why not read 'em, but... I fear for the future of this title and me
 Embarrassed

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 04:27:05 AM »

Reckless v1
Reckless v2 Friend of the Devil v2
- added

Loved both of these books.  I too am waiting for the eventual price drop to grab the third.  I am anxiously awaiting that to happen!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2022, 04:28:52 AM »

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing #81
Flash #771

Teen Titans Academy #4
Robin #3

Detective Comics #1038

If I have time:
L.E.G.I.O.N. #4
L.E.G.I.O.N. #5
L.E.G.I.O.N. #6
L.E.G.I.O.N. #7
L.E.G.I.O.N. #8
L.E.G.I.O.N. #9
L.E.G.I.O.N. #10
L.E.G.I.O.N. #11
L.E.G.I.O.N. #12
L.E.G.I.O.N. #13
L.E.G.I.O.N. #14
L.E.G.I.O.N. #15

Teen Titans Academy #4 - Ugh. I don’t even care who Red X is anymore.  I’m just going to look it up on the internet and stop wasting my time on this.

Robin #3 - saved by the second half of the issue.  Pretty good dialogue with Connor Hawke and a surprise at the end.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS