HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:06:38 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, December 29, 2021  (Read 3142 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: December 28, 2021, 05:34:48 PM »

New week, new titles. What are you reading to end 2021?
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 08:29:05 PM »

Rodney's jumping in fast with these things  Grin
Way to stay on top of it, man! Smiley

I want and hope Mazebook #3 goes down in price, but I may just have to get it at full price  Angry Which means I will then have to pay freaking $8 for each of the last two issues.
On second thought, maybe I wait on that title? I mean, I want to finish it, it is good, but dang Dark Horse, lower those damn digital prices a tad, bro-ham! We digital buyers are not pushing you into higher paper cost, knock off a damn dollar for digital and keep it moving!
In-fact, yeah, screw it, I am not getting it unless it goes down.
 Angry

Only title I think I will be adding to my current list, if it comes out and unless I missed something, is:

Black Hammer: Reborn #7

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 02:55:38 AM »

It’s Marvel week!

Marvel Unlimited
Iron Man #11
Iron Man #12
Guardians of the Galaxy #17 - the Last Annihilation part 3
Guardians of the Galaxy #18 - the Last Annihilation conclusion
Black Widow #10
Black Widow #11
Fantastic Four #35
Fantastic Four #36
The Marvels #4
Black Cat #9
Thor #16
Spider-Man: Life Story Annual #1
Winter Guard #1
Strange Academy #12
Captain Marvel #32
Dark Ages #1
Dare Devil #34
Ka-Zar Lord of the Savage Land #1
Eternals: Thanos Rises #1
Fantastic Four: Life Story #4
Symbiotic Spider-Man: Crossroads #3
Death of Doctor Strange #1
X-Force #23
The Trial of Magneto #2
X-Men #3
Onslaught Revelations #1

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 04:44:20 PM »

It’s Marvel week!

So I dropped Marvel titles from my LCS pull and started my 3 month wait for MU.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 06:19:12 PM »

It’s Marvel week!

So I dropped Marvel titles from my LCS pull and started my 3 month wait for MU.

Congrats sir!!
You don't seem to buy too many Marvel, so hopefully it isn't a hard transition. Good thing is it will save you money, for sure, and you will find you read more than you did prior (most chances)  Grin It is also only a three month wait, which is really a breeze once you get going.

That damn 6 month DC wait still seems like it takes forever, if you ever do decide to go that route (I know it isn't for you right now), but that 6 months sure does beat the damn 1 year we used to have to wait!!!
 Shocked Shocked

Anyway, will be interested to see, in 3 months, what your Marvel reading list looks like  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 12:40:48 AM »

Congrats Rodney!  I think you’ll like it once the waiting is over. And believe it or not, the wait passes faster than you think.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 02:28:49 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Iron Man #11
Iron Man #12

Black Widow #10
Black Widow #11
Fantastic Four #35
Fantastic Four #36
The Marvels #4
Black Cat #9
Thor #16
Winter Guard #1
Strange Academy #12
Captain Marvel #32
Dark Ages #1
Dare Devil #34
X-Force #23
The Trial of Magneto #2
X-Men #3
Onslaught Revelations #1

Iron Man #11 & 12 - I’m a little confused.  I was expecting these issues to be awful but really they seemed to be at the same quality the book has been at all along.  I’ve actually enjoyed the side trip to Stilt-Man’s world more than the main Korvac story.  I doubt I’ll stay on longer than the resolution of this arc but the side trip was enjoyable.

Guardians of the Galaxy #17 & 18 - the Last Annihilation conclusion - Now that really sucked.  I hated this crossover.  Just terrible story and horrible writing from Al Ewing.  That’s a statement I never thought I would say.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 11:28:54 AM »

Iron Man #11 & 12 - I’m a little confused.  I was expecting these issues to be awful but really they seemed to be at the same quality the book has been at all along. 

Smiley
Yeah, I get ya, I understand you confusion. Maybe it was another night of me being "not in the mood for this title" (though I don't think so as, like you stated, it's been mostly the same throughout), but I did not enjoy the... ending (lets say). The change of... Iron Man... and the what seems to be coming left me rolling my eyes. Not a big deal, I'm sure, but to me... yeah.
I guess you could compare my feelings to this ending to your feelings on Frog-Man
 Grin

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 12:53:24 PM »

Flash #776, 777
Teen Titans Academy #10

I flipped thru Amazing Spider-man and Timeless but left them at the LCS.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 04:36:37 PM »

I flipped thru Amazing Spider-man and Timeless but left them at the LCS.

Good job. That three months will fly by and then BAM, read at your leisure!
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 05:01:34 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Iron Man #11
Iron Man #12

Black Widow #10
Black Widow #11
Fantastic Four #35
Fantastic Four #36

The Marvels #4
Black Cat #9
Thor #16
Winter Guard #1
Strange Academy #12
Captain Marvel #32
Dark Ages #1
Dare Devil #34
X-Force #23
The Trial of Magneto #2
X-Men #3
Onslaught Revelations #1

Black Widow #10 & 11 - I like this book.  I like the heroines. I hate the villains.  So far nothing interesting with them. But the interactions between Nat and Yelana are very fun.  Makes the book worth reading.

Fantastic Four #35 & 36 - Not too bad of a Kang story for the anniversary and then the fallout for Johnny from Doom’s wedding.  I’m still in.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 01:58:42 PM »

In-between water pipe leaking, a visit from our youngest (and her new husband) and doing all the prep to sell the mother-in-laws house, I got a couple things read

MU Older Stuff
Avengers #17 (2013 - Hickman's)
Avengers #18
New Avengers #9(2013 - Hickman's)
New Avengers #10
Infinity #2

MU Newer Stuff
Dark Ages #1
Kang the Conqueror #1
Kang the Conqueror #2

X-Men: The Onslaught Revelation #1

DCI Older Stuff
Legion of Super Heroes #2
L.E.G.I.O.N '90 #14

DCI Newer Stuff
Batman: The Detective #2
Batman: The Detective #3
Justice League #60 (J.L Dark story only)
Justice League #61 (J.L Dark story only)
Justice League #62 (J.L Dark story only)
Justice League #63 (J.L Dark story only)

Others
Nailbiter #6
Nailbiter #7
Magic Order v2 #1
Magic Order v2 #2
Birthright #1
Birthright #2
FirePower #12
Serial #9
Mazebook #3

Avengers #17 - Finally read the issue I should have read before Infinity #1. Ha, Infinity #1 opening makes a lot more sense now.  Cheesy

Kang: The Conquer 1,2 - Cool timey-wimey, origin/recent story headlining the time traveling master himself. Yeah, this is good

X-Men: Onslaught Revelation - Not what I thought it was going to be, but essentially a transition from Nightcrawler's "Way of X" title to his new X-title coming soon. It was okay, not great

Death of Doctor Strange - I'm already slightly spoiled on the "what is gonna happen?" aspect, but a seems to be setting up a decent (though probably not spectacular) mini-event. If you like the Doc you would like this, but not a needed read. At least not yet, that I can tell.
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2022, 04:05:46 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Iron Man #11
Iron Man #12

Black Widow #10
Black Widow #11
Fantastic Four #35
Fantastic Four #36

The Marvels #4
Black Cat #9
Thor #16

Winter Guard #1
Strange Academy #12
Captain Marvel #32
Dark Ages #1
Dare Devil #34
X-Force #23
The Trial of Magneto #2
X-Men #3
Onslaught Revelations #1

The Marvels #4 - This is definitely a slow burn kind of series. I keep forgetting what it’s about between issues.  I still like it and looking forward to where it’s going.

Black Cat #9 - I like this arc so far.  Love it when Felicia puts a team together for skulduggery.

Thor #16 - Just an ok issue this month.  Promising setup for next issue though.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 03:51:53 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Iron Man #11
Iron Man #12

Black Widow #10
Black Widow #11
Fantastic Four #35
Fantastic Four #36

The Marvels #4
Black Cat #9
Thor #16

Winter Guard #1

Strange Academy #12
Captain Marvel #32
Dark Ages #1
Dare Devil #34
X-Force #23
The Trial of Magneto #2
X-Men #3
Onslaught Revelations #1

Spider-Man: Life Story Annual #1 - Good story.  It’s the Life Story of Jonah Jameson and we’ll done.

Winter Guard #1 - Ending left enough mystery to make me pick up the next issue but I doubt I’ll stay on for long.  Didn’t care for the art and the writing is just ok.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 01:05:28 PM »

The Marvels #4 - This is definitely a slow burn kind of series. I keep forgetting what it’s about between issues.

I always have that problem  Cheesy with every comic  Undecided and that's why I don't tend to read month to month, but I can damn sure say when it comes to this particular title, it does feel way more problematic. Not sure why, but I had to stop reading it. Going to wait until it is done and then, do what I always do, "say" I am going to read it when it is over, but most likely never get to it because I am crap.
 Smiley Undecided

Spider-Man: Life Story Annual #1 - Good story.

Forgot about that one!

So far I have been able t ignore Serial #9. Hope that trend continues  Cheesy

MU Older Stuff
Avengers #17 (2013 - Hickman's)
Avengers #18
New Avengers #9(2013 - Hickman's)
New Avengers #10
Infinity #2

MU Newer Stuff
Dark Ages #1
Kang the Conqueror #1
Kang the Conqueror #2

X-Men: The Onslaught Revelation #1
Darkhold Alpha
Inferno #1
Black Cat #10
Thor #17
- edit - added today

DCI Older Stuff
Legion of Super Heroes #2
L.E.G.I.O.N '90 #14

DCI Newer Stuff
Batman: The Detective #2
Batman: The Detective #3
Justice League #60 (J.L Dark story only)
Justice League #61 (J.L Dark story only)
Justice League #62 (J.L Dark story only)
Justice League #63 (J.L Dark story only)

Batman and Scooby-Doo Mysteries Extravaganza #1

Others
Nailbiter #6
Nailbiter #7
Magic Order v2 #1
Magic Order v2 #2
Birthright #1
Birthright #2
FirePower #12
Serial #9
Black Hammer: Reborn #7
Mazebook #3

Justice League (Dark Story Only) - Enjoyable read. Loved that 'librarian' dude, how he looked, that was pretty cool. Also enjoyed the... way they got out of 'that' library. I like seeing him, but I miss
Ragman wearing his damn cowl. Used to really be intrigued with him and his look when I was younger, even though I didn't know much about the Jewish aspect of the rags.
Just thought he looked cool
 Grin

Firepower - Okay, not the end of the title, but a satisfying end to the arc and a good place for me to say goodbye. I was sadly never pulled fully into this story like I had hoped. When the best part your book is the letters page, there is something not quite working. Even though the letters pages are really good.
 Undecided

Mazebook #3 - Okay then, what a last panel! Prior to that and a few pages back,
I found myself actually speaking aloud, telling the main character to look at the damn Manhole/Drain cover!!!
Cheesy Cheesy

Black Hammer: Reborn - ARRRHHHH, again with this? Look, I find the main... subject/location of this issue to be an amazing wonderful thing, full of all kinds of cool potential. I do. But I (we) have been pussyfooting around this... topic/thing for far too many issues now. It seems like every single time we get an issue featuring a certain character, we get page after page of nothing but "When" and "why" surrounding this... thing. Let's either get a little answers here and there or leave it be for awhile. I mean I read this issue and all I could think of is how it is just like the three or four other issues I have read about this. They had an entire mini based around it (sort of) and still we get this run around?
I know I sound mad, I'm not (although I am getting frustrated) and I do like the "not knowing" aspect, the wonderment and the stories that could be there within this... idea, but damn it, stop with the repetitive, issue long structure of it all.
Cool art, good story, but... again?
 Cry
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 01:19:09 PM by Perry » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS