HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 09:09:19 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, December 8, 2021  (Read 3155 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: December 07, 2021, 12:41:25 PM »

What are you getting? Yes, I signed up for a free trial week at Marvel Unlimited.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 12:09:56 AM »

What are you getting? Yes, I signed up for a free trial week at Marvel Unlimited.

You gonna get hooked!!!

Maybe, it's a crappy app....

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 02:09:17 AM »

Your reading volume is about to go way up!  But yeah, they screwed up the app.  Supposed to fix it this month hopefully.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 02:12:13 AM »

Here’s my list for this week…all Marvel!

Marvel Unlimited
Cable #12
Wolverine #14
X-Men #2
X-Force #22
The X-Men: The Trial of Magneto #1
Way of X #5
Marauders #23
Cable: Reloaded #1
Wolverine #15
Dare Devil #32
Dare Devil #33
Symbiote Spider-Man: Crossroads #1
Symbiotic Spider-Man: Crossroads #2
Fantastic Four #34
Immortal Hulk #49
Fantastic Four: Life Story #3
Defenders #1
The Marvels #4
Moon Knight #2
Gamma Flight #3
Kang the Conqueror #1
Iron Man #11
Guardians of the Galaxy #17 - the Last Annihilation part 3
Black Cat #9
Thor #16
Spider-Man: Life Story Annual #1
Winter Guard #1
Black Widow #10
Strange Academy #12
Captain Marvel #32
Dark Ages #1

------------------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 03:31:15 AM »

Let's see!!

INFINITE
Batman/Superman 19
Stargirl Springbreak Special 1
Batman 109
Crime Syndicate 4
Batman Catwoman 5 (I forgot about this title!!!)
Suicide Squad 3 & 4
Green Lantern 3
The NEW Teen Titans 9 (circa 1981)
Teen Titans Academy 3

UNLIMITED
Sinister War 4
Captain Marvel 32 (Last of the MARVELS storyline! Here comes Genis!!)
Warhammer 40K Sisters of Battle 1

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 03:27:13 PM »

Amazing Spider-Man #80BEY
Batman #118
Superman: Son of Kalel Annual 2021
WW: Historia... back in stock!!!

I am going to skip the entire Devil's Reign by Marvel.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 01:23:04 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Cable #12
Wolverine #14
X-Men #2
X-Force #22

Way of X #5
Marauders #23
Wolverine #15
Dare Devil #32
Dare Devil #33
Fantastic Four #34
Immortal Hulk #49
Defenders #1
The Marvels #4
Moon Knight #2
Gamma Flight #3
Kang the Conqueror #1
Iron Man #11
Black Cat #9
Thor #16
Winter Guard #1
Black Widow #10
Strange Academy #12
Captain Marvel #32
Dark Ages #1

Cable #12 - Good wrap up to Kid Cables adventures.  Looking forward to Old Man Cable being back.

Wolverine #14 -Meh.  Not bad but not interesting either.  I’m not a fan of the Arrakkii mutants.

X-Men #2 - Not a fan of this issue and I see what Perry was talking about with the weird history from one character.  Hopefully just a blip and the next issue will be better.

X-Force #22 - what is with Marvel and all this plant stuff in their comics these days?  Are they all smoking weed?  Not a good month so far for my mutants.

The X-Men: The Trial of Magneto #1 - I was a little worried I had been tricked. Into buying a new version of X-Factor and this wasn’t going to be good.  But it got better as I read it and ended on a high note of mystery.  Loved seeing the original brotherhood together fora page of drinks.  This could turn it all right.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 03:04:00 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Cable #12
Wolverine #14
X-Men #2
X-Force #22

Way of X #5
Marauders #23
Wolverine #15

Dare Devil #32
Dare Devil #33
Fantastic Four #34
Immortal Hulk #49
Defenders #1
The Marvels #4
Moon Knight #2
Gamma Flight #3
Kang the Conqueror #1
Iron Man #11
Black Cat #9
Thor #16
Winter Guard #1
Black Widow #10
Strange Academy #12
Captain Marvel #32
Dark Ages #1

Way of X #5 - Not the way I expected this series to go but a fun trip nonetheless.  The setup for the future wound up being the most interesting part of the issue.

Marauders #23 - it’s been on the fence for awhile but after this issue, I’m done.  Seeing Banshee with Emma again got me excited but it’s just a guest appearance and the other new characters I just don’t care about.

Cable: Reloaded #1 Ugh! Al Ewing let me down on this one.  Turns out it’s part of the Last Annihilation crossover.  I hope this gets better.

Wolverine #15 - much better issue and sets up things for the next confrontation. This might be ok after all.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 04:29:34 PM »

Yes, I signed up for a free trial week at Marvel Unlimited.

Sweet.
Like Jeff said you are set to start reading a lot more Marvel (well, if you pick the good ones  Cheesy Cheesy)

WW: Historia... back in stock!!!

SWEET AGAIN! Let me know what you thought (Again, It will take me another 6 months to read it fully as I have decided to wait for it to hit DCI, still, let me/us know what you thought of the art and perhaps the story overall?)

I am going to skip the entire Devil's Reign by Marvel.

Well why shouldn't you? You can get it all for cheaper in three months when it hits the MU app  Grin
Like Jimmy (and everyone here) has said, repeatedly, they recently did a full update on the Marvel app and it sucks. Sucks less now, will hopefully suck even less soon, but it isn't the best. But once you get into the comics... Yeah, more than worth it.

Just a few suggestions that you should check out, for your free week:
Current titles -
Daredevil - Will tie into Devil's Reign I hear
Eternals - The first issue or two is confusing if you have no history with them, but it hits and it is great!
Immortal Hulk - If you like Hulk (and or are interested in his past)
Moon Knight (stop buying it now and catch up in a few for a lot cheaper Wink)
Thor - Damn good!!

And of course ANY and ALL Marvel comics you have ever wished to read!!! Including some you may not have known you wanted to like Star Wars: Doctor Aphra (the first series). Good stuff even if you are not a big SW fan!
 Grin

Here’s my list for this week…all Marvel!

MY GOD!?!?!?!  Cheesy Too much my man. How are you even breathing? hahahaha

Jimmy, yeah, that's a good sized list. That Jeff... I tell ya what... crazy is what that guy is. Crazy  Wink

Way of X #5 - [...] The setup for the future wound up being the most interesting part of the issue.

Agree.

Marauders #23 - [...] I’m done.

Sadly, welcome to the club. Jumped about two issues ago myself  Undecided

Cable: Reloaded #1 Ugh! Al Ewing let me down on this one.  Turns out it’s part of the Last Annihilation crossover.  I hope this gets better.

It won't. This was only a one-shot  Smiley It was like a bit of a "lost story" thing. Kinda reintroducing old man Cable back into the current MU by showcasing an older old man Cable mission. Maybe that would have changed your opinion going in, but hard to say as I did know that and I just thought it was a'ight

My list for this week, that keeps getting bigger (and I just talked about how Jeff was reading far too much, but I will never get through mine like he will get through his. haha)

MU Older Stuff
Avengers #17 (2013 - Hickman's)
Avengers #18
New Avengers #9(2013 - Hickman's)
New Avengers #10
Infinity #2

MU Newer Stuff
Amazing Fantasy #1
Amazing Fantasy #2

Thor #16
Wolverine #15
Dark Ages #1
Kazar: Lord of the Savage Land #1 (Monday)
Defenders #2 (Monday)

DCI Older Stuff
Legion of Super Heroes #2
L.E.G.I.O.N '90 #14

DCI Newer Stuff
Batman: The Detective #2
The Joker #3
The Joker #4 (Tuesday)
Justice League: Last Ride #1

Others
Ice Cream Man #25
Ice Cream Man #26
Black Hammer Reborn #5
Black Hammer Reborn #6
Chew #1
Chew #2
Chew #3
Chew #4 (have had this is my damn library for years. Time to try it... if I get time)
Nailbiter #1
Nailbiter #2
Nailbiter #3
Nailbiter #4 (Going to reread these to finally finish up this series that, yep, I have had in my damn library for... )
Birthright #1
Birthright #2
Birthright #3
Birthright #4 (same as previous. Yes, time to get some Williamson read, DAMN IT!)
Frontiersman #1
Frontiersman #2 (I heard good things and the cover to issue two grabbed me. This is what I had originally wanted to add to this list, but saw all the other stuff sitting there and decided it was time to do some house cleaning!!!)

Amazing Fantasy #1 - Good book, fun, great art, really excited about this five issue mini
Amazing Fantasy #2 - Ummmm, never mind. A jumbled mess structurally this one. Damn it!
 Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 07:53:39 PM »

MU Older Stuff
Avengers #18
New Avengers #10
Infinity #2

MU Newer Stuff
Amazing Fantasy #1
Amazing Fantasy #2

Thor #16
Wolverine #15
Dark Ages #1
Defenders #2 (Monday)

DCI Older Stuff
L.E.G.I.O.N '90 #14

DCI Newer Stuff
The Joker #3
The Joker #4 (Tuesday)

Others
Ice Cream Man #25
Ice Cream Man #26
Black Hammer Reborn #5
Black Hammer Reborn #6

Chew #1
Chew #2
Chew #3
Chew #4 (have had this is my damn library for years. Time to try it... if I get time)
Nailbiter #1
Nailbiter #2
Nailbiter #3
Nailbiter #4 (Going to reread these to finally finish up this series that, yep, I have had in my damn library for... )
Birthright #1
Birthright #2
Birthright #3
Birthright #4 (same as previous. Yes, time to get some Williamson read, DAMN IT!)
Frontiersman #1
Frontiersman #2 (I heard good things and the cover to issue two grabbed me. This is what I had originally wanted to add to this list, but saw all the other stuff sitting there and decided it was time to do some house cleaning!!!)

Black Hammer Reborn 5 and 6 - OH YEAH, now this is how ya do it. It's getting really good. This is like old Black Hammer. This has me excited once more for the property. Jeff, why didn't you tell me it got good again?
 Cheesy  Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2021, 01:09:00 AM »

Eternals - The first issue or two is confusing if you have no history with them, but it hits and it is great!

If your not that familiar with them I recommend seeing the movie first.  It really helped me enjoy the end of this series.  It’s not connected but it helped with keeping the characters straight.

Immortal Hulk - If you like Hulk (and or are interested in his past)
Agreed! Read all 50 issues!

It won't. This was only a one-shot 

What?! Dang it.  What a terrible way to bring back a good character.  Angry

MU Newer Stuff
Amazing Fantasy #1
Amazing Fantasy #2

Darn I forgot add these.  I’m adding them!

Amazing Fantasy #1 - Good book, fun, great art, really excited about this five issue mini
Amazing Fantasy #2 - Ummmm, never mind. A jumbled mess structurally this one. Damn it!
 Angry

Oh.  Uh…never mind.

Chew #1
Chew #2
Chew #3

I have the hardcover Omnibus’ of this series…unread.  Maybe I should crack it open and follow along with you!

Nailbiter #1
Nailbiter #2
Nailbiter #3

I loved this series.  The sequel was only ok but this you will hopefully like.

Birthright #1
Birthright #2
Birthright #3

Well it’s about time!

Frontiersman #1

I’m interested in this as well. Looking forward to hearing what you think before I jump in.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2021, 01:11:34 AM »

Black Hammer Reborn 5 and 6 - OH YEAH, now this is how ya do it. It's getting really good. This is like old Black Hammer. This has me excited once more for the property. Jeff, why didn't you tell me it got good again?
 Cheesy  Wink

I thought I did?  Actually I don’t think I ever thought it got bad?

Black Hammer Reborn #4 - Whoa! I didn’t expect that ending! Great issue with more Colonel Weird craziness!

Black Hammer Reborn #5 - Now the world is literally going off the rails.  The more learn the more questions there are.  And now a super villain team? Oh yeah!

I haven’t got to issue six yet but it will be in my next ComiXology list!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 01:18:56 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2021, 03:21:15 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Cable #12
Wolverine #14
X-Men #2
X-Force #22

Way of X #5
Marauders #23
Wolverine #15

Dare Devil #32
Dare Devil #33
Fantastic Four #34
Immortal Hulk #49

Defenders #1
The Marvels #4
Moon Knight #2
Gamma Flight #3
Kang the Conqueror #1
Iron Man #11
Black Cat #9
Thor #16
Winter Guard #1
Black Widow #10
Strange Academy #12
Captain Marvel #32
Dark Ages #1

Dare Devil #32-33 - Man this book just doesn’t get bad. Two more excellent issues in the books.  Electra, Bullseye, Dare Devil, Kingpin, Typhoid Mary - great cast and great writing.  Nice plot twist in these issues too.

Symbiote Spider-Man: Crossroads #1-2 - Fun little trip into the past back when Black Cat was Spidey’s girlfriend!  One of my favorite time periods!  It’s a bit silly but I enjoyed both issues.

Fantastic Four #34 - a pretty decent end to the wedding of Doom storyline.  This book is hit or miss but this story I liked.

Immortal Hulk #49 - Wow.  That was awesome!  Some really amazing storytelling and incredible art. I can’t wait to see how it all ends next issue!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2021, 12:37:46 AM »

Black Hammer Reborn 5 and 6 -.... Jeff, why didn't you tell me it got good again?
 Cheesy  Wink

I thought I did?

Black Hammer Reborn 5 and 6 -.... Jeff, why didn't you tell me it got good again?

" Cheesy  Wink"

Grin

Actually I don’t think I ever thought it got bad?

And we will just have to disagree about Visions and the last Black Hammer run before this
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2021, 04:33:11 PM »

Dang, I missed an entire post Jeff.
Sorry, but here goes now ...

Chew #1
Chew #2
Chew #3

I have the hardcover Omnibus’ of this series…unread.  Maybe I should crack it open and follow along with you!

Weeelllll, maybe another time? As you will see below, I read the first couple of issues but just couldn't get into it. I knew going in that it was more a comedy than not and I was also aware of the main characters power/affliction, but while I see the good here (well written, fun art style) I just could not get into the book. I honestly think it is only because I wasn't in the mood for that kind of reading, but didn't know that until I got started  Cheesy
I have had the first 6 issues of this (and many other, older Image titles) for years, having got them way back in the day when I used to buy books because the were a "new Image title", so I will eventually try again, but yeah, just wasn't in that kind of mood so I stopped before I ended up ruining the title for myself.
 Undecided

Nailbiter #1
Nailbiter #2
Nailbiter #3

I loved this series.  The sequel was only ok but this you will hopefully like.

Well that sequel news sucks as I was looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads up.
As for this run, oh yeah my man, I know I will like these. I read ... a good chuck of this series back when it came out, but I had to start over with a reread as I can't remember what I had found out and what I had no knowledge of when I stopped around issue #13 or #14. Just another of the many "SDF" (Started Didn't FInish) books I am trying to get back to. Much like East of West that took me how many years? Ha

I do know I enjoyed the first few issues at least  Cheesy Smiley

Birthright #1
Birthright #2
Birthright #3

Well it’s about time!

Right?
Another title I have the first 6 issues of and I think I read them all, at least this first four here, but remember very little. I do remember the plot, about the son/brother going ... well ... you know, but I don't remember the exacts and there is so much story for me to discover! I think you guys (you and Jimbo) are cool with how this ended... yeah?

Frontiersman #1

I’m interested in this as well. Looking forward to hearing what you think before I jump in.

Will let you know!!
 Grin

May as well mark the Chew ones off while I am here...

MU Older Stuff
Avengers #18
New Avengers #10
Infinity #2

MU Newer Stuff
Amazing Fantasy #1
Amazing Fantasy #2

Thor #16
Wolverine #15
Dark Ages #1
Defenders #2 (Monday)

DCI Older Stuff
L.E.G.I.O.N '90 #14

DCI Newer Stuff
The Joker #3
The Joker #4 (Tuesday)

Others
Ice Cream Man #25
Ice Cream Man #26
Black Hammer Reborn #5
Black Hammer Reborn #6

Chew #1
Chew #2

Chew #3 - Canceled
Chew #4 - Canceled
Nailbiter #1
Nailbiter #2
Nailbiter #3
Nailbiter #4
Birthright #1
Birthright #2
Birthright #3
Birthright #4
Frontiersman #1
Frontiersman #2

Chew - As stated above, this is a fine title. Funny story and well written with art that I truly did enjoy, but I was/am just not in the mood for this right now. It is sort of like when you want to see a movie but you're not sure what you want to see. You sit down to watch a well received comedy that you have wanted to see but the, ten minutes in, you realize you want to watch a murder drama instead.
Even though this is sliding to the bottom of my to be read list for now, I will return to it someday. It does deserve it.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS