HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:27:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, November 24, 2021  (Read 3259 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: November 23, 2021, 05:17:52 PM »

What are you reading over Thanksgiving?
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 08:50:24 PM »

Took a late lunch and went to my LCS.

Amazing Spider-Man #79
Catwoman #36, 37
Chaos Breaker #8
Deathstroke Inc #3
Detective #1045
Radiant Black #10
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 12:47:31 AM »

Switching over to DC for this week.  And changing my Avatar to match the universe I’m reading each week.

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing #79
Nightwing #80
Flash #769
Flash #770
Justice League #60 (for the JL Dark backup story)
Justice League #61 (for the JL Dark backup story)
Justice League: The Last Ride #1
Teen Titans Academy #2
Titans United #3
Suicide Squad #3
Crime Syndicate #3
Detective Comics #1035
Robin #1
The Joker #3
Batman: The Detective #2
Man Bat #4
Batman #108
Robins #2

---------------------------------------------——————————

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 06:09:55 AM »

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing #79
Nightwing #80
Flash #769
Flash #770

Teen Titans Academy #2
Titans United #3
Suicide Squad #3
Crime Syndicate #3
Detective Comics #1035
Robin #1
The Joker #3
Man Bat #4
Batman #108
Robins #2

Nightwing #79 & 80 - Enjoyable so far.  Tom Taylor writes a decent Nightwing and Batgirl (Oracle).  Not sure what I think of the villain though.  Couldn’t he have come up with a better name?

Flash #769 - I see what they’re trying to do here with Bart.  While I think I like it overall, I wasn’t wild about this issue.  A little too silly for my taste.  I get why and it makes sense with the arc, I just didn’t particularly enjoy it.

Flash #770 - this issue was much better since our focus is on Jay Garrick n WW2.  Always enjoy a good Flash story in the war. 

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 10:57:12 AM »

After trimming some of the fat, leaving just the next issue I need to read of any older series (instead of many issues in the series), the beat goes on....

u]MU Older Stuff[/u]
Avengers #11 (2013 - Hickman's)
Avengers #12
New Avengers #6 (2013 - Hickman's)
Alien #4
Alien #5

MU Newer Stuff
Defenders #1
Fantastic Four: Life Story #3
Moon Knight #2

X-Men: The Trial of Magneto #1

DCI Older Stuff
Legion of Super Heroes #2
L.E.G.I.O.N '90 #14

DCI Newer Stuff
The Joker #3
Justice League: Last Ride #1
Flash #769
Flash #770
Nightwing #80

Others
Ice Cream Man #25
Ice Cream Man #26
Black Hammer Reborn #4
Black Hammer Reborn #5

Avengers #11 - Okay, yeah, this is starting to get there. Still not as concise as Hickman's "New Avengers" but close.

Alien #4-5 - One issue left in this story and as (admittedly) redundant as these stories can feel, I really like this one.

Defenders #1 - Art just blows me away. Still didn't like the "fighting to talking" transition and not totally sold on this team, but hey, its the Defenders. The very premise of this non-team is to be a mish-mash so I'm hanging on

Fantastic Four: Life Story #3 - Can't say the same for this. Okay, okay, I will probably finish it, I am a whore for this team, but I am not overly happy with it.

Moon Knight #2 - Still wish the art was better (it sadly looks like I am reading a Zenoscope comic much of the time here  Undecided) but I do love me some Moony, so yeah, enjoying this

Flash #769-770 - When I was finished with the chore of reading issue 769, I had plans to dump this title, head down to the big LCS after Thanksgiving and slap the ever lovin' shit out of some of the guys there for telling me this series was "worth reading". I went ahead and started the next issue with plans on just skimming it (I had already downloaded it, why not?), saw it was a WWII story and decided to try it. Okay Flash, after reading this and then seeing that last panel, you have me for another issue at least

Nightwing #80 - Just love this book. Both the written and artistic interactions between Barbara and Dick is perfection, as were the scenes with Dick and Tim. I do agree with Jeff about the "baddies" name  Roll Eyes no, not the best.
But I mentioned MK above, how about his gallery? I spent years having to deal with that kind of crap with older Moon Knight comics
I mean Bushman? The Profile? Black Spectre? (okay, no... I like that one  Grin). But how about this one ... the Stained Glass Scarlet?
 Shocked
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
I will say that the guy in Nightwing tells ya what he is all about, at least?
 Grin
Yeah, not the best  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 02:13:39 PM »

Finally got caught up on my Bat books. Still loving Nightwing (and Babs). The comics this week featured a preview of the new Batgirls series and it looks horrible. Bad writing and even worse art.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 06:44:50 AM »

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing #79
Nightwing #80
Flash #769
Flash #770

Teen Titans Academy #2

Titans United #3
Suicide Squad #3
Crime Syndicate #3
Detective Comics #1035
Robin #1
The Joker #3
Man Bat #4
Batman #108
Robins #2

Justice League #60 & 61 - JL Dark story only - I love these characters and Ram V’s writing of them.  A story of the return of Merlin and mystical libraries. And Ragman joins the group! Our new team has 5 members now and the fun is beginning!

Justice League: The Last Ride #1 - Hmm.  An ok first issue but not sure there’s enough here for me to care about yet.  I’ll try another issue and see if I get pulled in.

Teen Titans Academy #2 - the mystery continues as we learn more about the new recruits.  I’m liking this so far but still waiting for some real action.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 04:23:22 PM »

Justice League #60 & 61 - JL Dark story only

CRAP! I had forgotten all about reading that second half of those Justice League comics! Will have to look and see where I left off and add the issues I missed.

I hit one new(ish) issue but spent most of my time hitting more of the older stuff. Hickman has me so pulled in now. I have heard about it, but I never read the Namor/Panther stuff prior, so this is somewhat new reading for me but certainly enjoyable.

MU Older Stuff
Avengers #12 (2013 - Hickman's)
Avengers #13
Avengers #14
Avengers #15
Avengers #16

Avengers #17
Avengers #18
New Avengers #6 (2013 - Hickman's)
New Avengers #7
New Avengers #8

New Avengers #9
New Avengers #10
Fantastic Four #165
Thor #242

MU Newer Stuff
X-Men: The Trial of Magneto #1

DCI Older Stuff
Legion of Super Heroes #2
L.E.G.I.O.N '90 #14

DCI Newer Stuff
The Joker #3
Justice League: Last Ride #1

Others
Ice Cream Man #25
Ice Cream Man #26
Black Hammer Reborn #4
Black Hammer Reborn #5

Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers - Really good stuff. There is still one or two things that I am confused about (and hoping that will resolve as I go) but regardless, once the two titles start to really merge into the main gist of Hickman's run, this is a really fun read.

X-Men: The Trial of Magneto - Okay, even though Hickman didn't write this... and I have no idea how much influence his original story had here, as MArvel strung his shit out so much... I still really liked this. I can understand why those that didn't enjoy feel that way, but yeah, the voice of Magneto is perfect here and nice to see what could be the beginning of the downfall for... well... everyone?
 Grin

Fantastic Four #165 - The final issue for this character known as The Crusader (whom was also known as Marvel Boy and the Uranian) as he is vaporized by his anger... and well... the massive power surge the Quantum Bands absorbed from the sun  Grin But soon after, Reed finds those bands, sans arms  Cheesy, which I believe are the same Quantum Bands that find their way to Quasar? I think. Yeah?

Thor #242 - Pretty much a bullshit issue that sets up the next one. I still hate Jane during this time. Even more so that she has Sif's... soul inside  Embarrassed

« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 09:19:25 PM by Jeff » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 01:51:00 PM »

I keep eyeing Black Hammer Reborn at the LCS. What's the premise?
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2021, 02:38:36 PM »

I keep eyeing Black Hammer Reborn at the LCS. What's the premise?

Wellllll...

Honestly it would be better if you read the original Black Hammer first as this reborn has ties to that series that may not hit as well if you just jump in here. Think of Black Hammer: Reborn as Black Hammer v3

Black Hammer (the first one) written by Lemire is a pretty cool take on all of the older heroes placed in a blender and poured over a new concept. Sometimes they come out very similar to the heroes that went into the blender but for a little twist (Like Colonel Weird is pretty much Adam Strange, but with major memory issues  Cheesy)

While others, like... For example, Anti-God is clearly an amalgamation of two very popular antagonists
Darkseid and Galactus

But hey, then again, maybe trying one issue of Reborn to see if you want to read the series wouldn't be too bad. You can always go back and read the original later (although I wasn't too much of a fan of how it ended), but I think there would be a lot of spoilers.

Or at least read the Black Hammer wiki 
Grin

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2021, 04:48:55 PM »

I will see what my LCS has this Wednesday.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2021, 11:23:51 PM »

I would say the original series is a must read first.  All of the other books/mini can be read in any order but I really believe that first series has to be read on it's own without spoilers.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 01:09:54 AM »

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing #79
Nightwing #80
Flash #769
Flash #770

Teen Titans Academy #2

Titans United #3
Suicide Squad #3
Crime Syndicate #3
Detective Comics #1035
Robin #1

The Joker #3
Man Bat #4
Batman #108
Robins #2

Titans United #3 - Enjoying seeing Blackfire in the story.  Interesting how they are using the characters from the TV show but as they are in comic continuity.  Still enjoying this adventure.

Suicide Squad #3 - Ahhh the start of a crossover with Teen Titans Academy.  I guess I’m sticking around fir that!

Crime Syndicate #3 - The end of the origin arc with Starro.  I can get into this team for awhile.

Detective Comics #1035 - really good issue.  Both the Batman story and the Huntress story.  I’m looking forward to some payback.

Robin #1 -   I liked this this issue.  Damien in a fight tournament? I’m in.  Ravager is part of the tournament? I’m doubly in!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 03:39:32 AM »

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing #79
Nightwing #80
Flash #769
Flash #770

Teen Titans Academy #2

Titans United #3
Suicide Squad #3
Crime Syndicate #3
Detective Comics #1035
Robin #1

The Joker #3
Man Bat #4
Batman #108
Robins #2

The Joker #3 - Wow! Things are moving a lot faster than I expected!  That bodes well for this comic as Gordon gets more than he bargained for while hunting his prey.  Things are getting explosive!

Batman: The Detective #2 - It’s fun seeing the old side characters again.  The one who shows up this issue I had forgot all about until I saw him.  Fun issue and the mystery has me hooked.

Man Bat #4 - I seriously thought of dropping this after the last issue. Then I realize there were only two issues left so I figured I’d finish it.  This issue did not make me change my mind.  Just reading to finish the story at this point. Not recommending.

Batman #108 - I felt like I had missed an issue and had to back and make sure I had read issue 107.  I had.  Just not that memorable sadly.  Nor was this one even though Miracle Molly has potential.

Robins #2 - I think I’m done with this.  I love the idea of bringing all the old Robins together, including Spoiler, but this just isn’t good writing.  I’m out.

HOLY COW! I FINISHED A LIST!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 03:43:31 AM »

I'll do my full list from last week, and the initial  outing from Marvel this week, and I'll share this list again with Wednesday's list!

Infinite
Wonder Girl 1
Batman Urband Legends 3
Flash 770
Nightwing 80
Robins 2
Batman The Detective 2

Unlimited
The Trial of Magneto 1
Way of X 5
Sinister War 3
Amazing Spider-man 72
X-force 22
Moon Knight 2
Gamma Flight 3
Kang the Conqueror 1
Iron Man 11
Spider-woman 14
Guardians of the Galaxy 17
United States of Captain America 3
Cable Reloaded 1
Wolverine 15
Symbiote Spider-man Crossroads 2
Thor 16

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS