HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:13:06 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A New Hero Claims the Power of K'un-Lun in All-New 'Iron Fist' Series  (Read 2229 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: November 01, 2021, 01:11:02 PM »

This February will mark a new beginning for the iconic Super Hero Iron Fist. Award-winning writer Alyssa Wong, known for her outstanding work on DOCTOR APHRA, will team up with artist Michael YG, an extraordinary artist making his Marvel Comics debut, in IRON FIST.

The five-issue limited series will see the legendary mantle of Iron Fist passed on to a new hero in a revolutionary transformation of one of Marvel’s most fascinating mystical mythologies. Fans can expect an epic hero’s journey in true Marvel fashion as this mysterious character unlocks long-hidden secrets behind the history of his ancient powers and confronts a threat that only he has the ability to defeat!

After giving up his power to save the world earlier this year in IRON FIST: HEART OF THE DRAGON, Danny Rand believes he’s seen the last of the Iron Fist. But when demons begin to attack cities around the world, a new hero appears, hands blazing with the Chi of Shou-Lao the Undying! Who is this new Iron Fist? And does his power really come from the Dragon of K’un-Lun… Or from something far more sinister? Fans will have to wait until the first issue to discover his identity but they can see him now on the stunning cover for IRON FIST #1 showcasing a brand-new costume design by superstar artist Jim Cheung!

Here’s what Wong had to say this upcoming series: “It’s an incredible honor to introduce a new Iron Fist to the Marvel Universe. I’m excited to delve into the comic’s rich mythos and build on it. What does it mean for someone to take up the mantle of the Iron Fist right now, today? As a newcomer, how does one interact with legacy, and how does one honor it while forging a new path?

“I’m so stoked to work with artist Michael YG, colorist Jay Ramos, and the rest of the incredible team on this book. And writing this character, who views things through fresh eyes, feels very special to me.”

“Working for Marvel is a dream come true, yet it was beyond any dream to be trusted to carry the legacy of Iron Fist,” Michael YG says. “It is such an exciting new direction, I can’t wait for you to read all about it because I’m giving nothing less than my best efforts!”

“The first issue is a dynamic, action-packed, eerie and…if I do say, charming comic,” Editor Mark Paniccia promises. “You’ll get the origin of this new Iron Fist but there are many cool mysteries that’ll unravel over the course of the series. Things even the most ardent Marvel fan would never expect!”

Witness the rise of a new Marvel legend when IRON FIST #1 hits stands on February 16!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 05:27:45 PM »

Okay, okay, I know this is going to sound all negative (and you know when a sentence starts like that...)

But let me guess, we have a new Asian writer and a new Iron Fist... do I need to wonder what is going to happen here.

*sigh*

But hey, hope it is good. That's the man thing, right?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 08:24:19 PM »

Okay, okay, I know this is going to sound all negative (and you know when a sentence starts like that...)

But let me guess, we have a new Asian writer and a new Iron Fist... do I need to wonder what is going to happen here.

*sigh*

But hey, hope it is good. That's the man thing, right?

Nope, I get it. It's like forced diversity when things should happen more organically. But I don't know much about Iron Fist as a character and this seems like a good jumping on point. Plus, it's only five issues.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 12:07:05 AM »

Yeah, it isn't going to affect me one way or the other really. 5 issues isn't enough to wipe away the history I have with Danny and I haven't much cared about the character in so very long that I shouldn't hold any grudge about this anyway. I think the last cool story I read was the Kaare Andrews stuff.
 So I wish them well. Again, hope it's good that's the "man" thing.
(Damn fingers!!)
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 11:41:13 PM »

Normally I'm one of the first to get outraged when they do this but I'm actually looking forward to this.  I've been reading the Danny Rand recent books and they have all been one retread after another of the great Ed Brubaker/Matt Fraction run.  I loved that run but no one can come up with anything new for Danny.  Maybe this will re-energize the Iron Fist saga.  Not to mention there is a long line of Iron Fists through out history so it doesn't seem as unlikely that a new person could take on the mantle?

Alyssa Wong did a decent job on Doctor Aphra and an ok job on Shang Chi.  I'm willing to give her a shot.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 09:51:47 AM »

Not to mention there is a long line of Iron Fists through out history so it doesn't seem as unlikely that a new person could take on the mantle?

Very good (and important) point that I did not consider.

That said, I don't want Iron Fist, whom I have already admitted to not caring too much about anymore  Cheesy, to go the way of the watered down, lame-ass Ghost Rider that is currently out in the MU landscape. Hate that character. It has nothing whatsoever to do with him being Latino... that is NOT the reason, but I think he is a shit character with shit design and a shit "ride".

Or become another awful Power-Man redo. Ewww.

I don't want that for Iron Fist. Even if he hasn't had a good story since that Andrew's stuff
 Grin Cheesy
But yeah, we will see. Hoping for the best. Glad you enjoyed Wong on Aphra at least. I didn't read it, but I did not like her Shang-Chi stuff so hey... 50/50 chance for me?
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 09:24:16 PM »

There's a part of me that is glad to see the white-washing of Asian culture removed? If it's 'angry minority throwing hate' then I'm not as impressed.

And as Jeff has said, there are  A LOT of Iron Fists in history, with some still around, good!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 09:36:08 AM »

Well my initial angst has nothing to do with white washing as, in this case, the origin of the character is not one of a white person taking over for an Asian, it is about that very thing being an issue. Everyone in the hidden city was against this white dude being allowed to stay, save for two people: The one with a secret reason for allowing him to be there (Yu-Ti, the same one that had his mother murdered killed by wolves) and one that was training him (Lei Kung, although at first he didn't want to do it... if I remember right... probably not  Cheesy).

The origin was based on the "white outsider" taking a role not for him. To me it wasn't a white-wash as much as an outsider story. The same could be said about what Asians were going through at the time, as some ass-hats would say - "Coming to 'our' America and working on our jobs" (or duties in this case). That is not to say that was the intent at the time, no, the outsider epic was the intent, but still not a white washing to me. But hey, I could be worng.

I know when I was reading it back in the day I didn't think nothing of it. What ten year old does? Well, maybe some from today, and that's a good thing

But hey, on the other hand, speaking of white washing, how about doing experiments by chemical injections on a soldier during WWII and having that soldier be white  Cheesy ... oh yeah. That is a case of white washing. I mean look at all those experiments done on black soldiers, black AMERICAN soldiers, during the second big war and tell me Cap wouldn't have been black.
 Grin
I still have to read that "TRUTH" mini by the way

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS