HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:26:37 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, October 13, 2021  (Read 3426 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 14, 2021, 12:40:53 AM »

Let’s give these a try…

ComiXology Unlimited
Strange Adventures #12
Last Flight Out #2
The Unbelievable Unteens #3
Stray Bullets Vol 4: Sunshine & Roses (Collects issues #25-32)

Marvel Unlimited
Black Cat Annual #1
Dare Devil #31
Cable #11
X-Force #21
X-Men #1

DC Universe Infinite
Inferior Five #1
Inferior Five #2
Inferior Five #3
Inferior Five #4
Inferior Five #5
Inferior Five #6
Crime Syndicate #2
Titans United #2
Swamp Thing #2
Man-Bat #3
Batman #107

---------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 02:27:47 AM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Strange Adventures #12
Last Flight Out #2

Marvel Unlimited
Black Cat Annual #1
Dare Devil #31
Cable #11
X-Force #21
X-Men #1

DC Universe Infinite
Inferior Five #1
Inferior Five #2
Inferior Five #3
Inferior Five #4
Inferior Five #5
Inferior Five #6

Crime Syndicate #2
Titans United #2
Swamp Thing #2
Man-Bat #3
Batman #107

Inferior Five #1-6 - OMG.  This series had me so lost that I decided to go back and read Invasion!  Glad I did because on re-read of the first 4 issues it made so much more sense.  Then this series got reduced from a 12 issue story to just 6.  Then Covid hit and delayed the last two issues. Then Didio got fired.  The series pretty much got cancelled.  So what did Giffen and Lemire do?  They tell you everything they wanted to do with the 12 issue series in one fast issue and even the characters in the story blame the people at the top for ruining their story and cancelling them!  Issue 6 is hilarious!  It’s almost a big eff you DC.  They had even intended to kick off a second Invasion! at the end of the maxi-series.  The switch to Scott Kollins art is a little jarring but I’m glad I finished this.  And now I wish they could have properly finished it with all 12 issues.  The payoff would have been there.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 02:30:33 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 10:44:28 AM »

Amazing Spider-Man #76
Black Panther Legends #1
Blue & Gold #3
Superman and the Authority #4 (final issue)
Titans United #2
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 11:31:30 AM »

DC Universe Infinite
Inferior Five #1
Inferior Five #2
Inferior Five #3
Inferior Five #4
Inferior Five #5
Inferior Five #6

Crime Syndicate #2
Titans United #2
Swamp Thing #2
Man-Bat #3
Batman #107

Inferior Five #1-6 - OMG.  This series had me so lost that I decided to go back and read Invasion!  Glad I did because on re-read of the first 4 issues it made so much more sense.  Then this series got reduced from a 12 issue story to just 6.  Then Covid hit and delayed the last two issues. Then Didio got fired.  The series pretty much got cancelled.  So what did Giffen and Lemire do?  They tell you everything they wanted to do with the 12 issue series in one fast issue and even the characters in the story blame the people at the top for ruining their story and cancelling them!  Issue 6 is hilarious!  It’s almost a big eff you DC.  They had even intended to kick off a second Invasion! at the end of the maxi-series.  The switch to Scott Kollins art is a little jarring but I’m glad I finished this.  And now I wish they could have properly finished it with all 12 issues.  The payoff would have been there.

For the life of me, I don't remember this series or group.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 09:47:26 PM »

Yeah, was the Inferior Five any kind of sequel to Justice League 3000?

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 10:08:25 PM »

I read  A LOT in the last 2 days.

However, I have to continue to hate on this terrible Marvel app. I don't know where I can see what comics I've read? This is dumb. D-U-M dumb!!! Angry Angry Angry Angry

I remember reading
Immortal Hulk 48; here we go 2 more issues! and I just saw that this week Hulk 50 was released! 3 more months before I can read it!!

Amazing Spider-man 70- 4 more issues of Spencer's work! A good build up that's looking to pay off! (I hope!) The art was junk though, to me.

Maybe I read some other older issue...? I can't remember and now it's gone! This dumb app!!

Oh yeah, Beta Ray Bill 4 !! I love his heart ache. LIke, the fact that no honeyed words will help, and that Bill has felt this way ALL ALONG!!!

Gamma Flight 1 -there it is, the other issue. I LIKE. Cool cliffhanger!!

DC

Here's where I really cut my teeth this week!

By the way; NIGHTWING IS STILL UNREADABLE!!!!! I may try and download it to see if it works then.

FLASH 768; on the art; it really reminds me of Brando's other work with Crossgen and Green Lantern back in the day; he's really gone more towards "his" type of eyes and lots of lips. Some pages look great, other pages look poor. So weird! But all the upset that occurs has me really interested.

GREEN LANTERN 1-3; um...WOW. That's ....going places with this right away. I hate Teen Lantern (thanks for nothing Bendis), but I'm glad to see she's an anomaly from the Omniverse, so that makes me feel better. Too many variant Lanterns amongst the greens still (this Far Sector one, also from earth, is another *special* Lantern. Sure, And I think Hal still has a ring he constructed from his very own will power as well.) But I'm following and interested!

CRIME SYNDICATE 1-2; how did I miss all these titles dropping? Was it because I was tired? YEUUUUP. That said, I like the new take on the group, the title. I'm reading!!

SUPERMAN 29, ACTION 1029-1030; Hmmm.....one, Phil Hester is not a Superman artist. Don't care for it here at all. 2, The ol' Superman is getting weaker thing-at least Lois addressed it
This always happens to you, and you always get through and get better. You will here too
. I like Jon. I'm just not sure I like *this* Jon as Superman quite yet. Then again, I MISSED HIM GROWING UP THANKS FOR NOTHING AGAIN BENDIS!!!! I'm hoping I fall into this title and read something I really want to follow. I'm sad that Rodney reminded me that Superman & The Authority is only 4 issues!!  Cry

Detective Comics 1011-1015; I'm almost caught up to the Batman point I'm at...which is still 1.5 years behind everything else, but at least I'll be caught up to myself! This was the Freeze storyline with bringing his wife Nora back, and I like it. Particularly with Doug Mahnke on. I have obviously missed it, but yeah, both Fox men freely know that Bruce is Batman; I've just never truly recalled Bruce being as open with Lucius as he is here! working side by side with his suit on, but cowl off!!!

I'm back to Detective after this, He-man the Eternity War (whichs finishes ALL the He-man comics DC put out), and more 1985 Shazam!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 04:14:10 AM »

Yeah, was the Inferior Five any kind of sequel to Justice League 3000?

Not at all.  It’s a sequel to Invasion! But a whole new story with new characters.  It was the vehicle that was bringing Peacemaker back.  Then while they were out because of Covid James Gunn grabbed him for Suicide Squad. 

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 12:54:09 PM »

He-Man: The Eternity war 10-15; surprisingly, a cartoon based on a toy made into a cartoon series hits all the nostalgic beats, REALLY pushes the envelope for what to do with all the past info about the world, and be surprising too! I enjoyed it highly (for what it was)

Batman/Catwoman 1-4; what the hell!? I think I really love this title? I think? LOL But only 4 issues into the 12. Oh boy....

Power of Shazam 16-28; okay, there is less reading going on here, and more looking. It's an 80s comic, and it's not terribly  complex at all...but then again, the arc where Sivana goes back in time to prevent the Marvel's parents from dying, mostly because it really financially ruins him, is a sad and bittersweet arc. Sivana isn't a villain, he's just a d-bag. So that stuff I did read all of.

Detective Comics 1016-1019; yes! from my period of reading, I know have the Batman and Detective Titles at the same point of publishing, and can read both going forward.

The Green Lantern season 2 3-6; okay, I don't think I can defend this. I ..can't read this. Like, I can't physically read this. All the bubbles are different sizes, goof-ass fonts, written in broken speak and nonsense, and well, it's...fakkin' tripped out beyond all belief. I may just look at it for the rest of the title as a completist...but no, I don't know if I can. This is ...horrible, I think.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 01:03:11 PM »

....and I just went online to read Nightwing 78. To heck with the app!!! Great issue; I'm on board.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 07:24:38 PM »

Just read Suicide Squad 1, and Suicide Squad 2...won't load fully, on my tablet or the website!!!

Read Robins #1; I liked it! But I like that group of characters alot.

I read Titans United 1,2; I just gotta believe Conner is being controlled a bit; but I'm glad to see him around!
Teen Titans Academy 1; so much Nightwing in my life right now! LOL

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 12:41:05 PM »

Man! What reading!!!

Okay, I've actually loved what Tynion has done with Batman!!

BATMAN 86-93: I LOVE this Dark Design storyline! Between Daniels and Guillem's art, I've just been loving this!!

Alfred fall out in Pennyworth RIP 1, Detective Comics Annual 3, Batman Annual 3; And now I'm sad.

DETECTIVE  1018-1019; I know I was coming up on Joker War soon, so I had to break off of Batman and come back to 'Tec, and it feels like a let down. But a Two-face arc is coming up! I always love a Two-Face arc

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 07:32:48 PM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Strange Adventures #12
Last Flight Out #2

Marvel Unlimited
Black Cat Annual #1
Dare Devil #31
Cable #11
X-Force #21
X-Men #1

DC Universe Infinite
Inferior Five #1
Inferior Five #2
Inferior Five #3
Inferior Five #4
Inferior Five #5
Inferior Five #6

Crime Syndicate #2
Titans United #2
Swamp Thing #2
Man-Bat #3
Batman #107

Crime Syndicate #2 - I’m enjoying this so far.  Watching the Crime Syndicate fight Starro is fun.  I also like Donna Troy being Superwoman on this world.

Titans United #2 - the Titans are fun again! I like the mix of heroes and villains and bringing back some classics.  Mimicking the tv show a little bit but that’s ok.  I like these characters.

Swamp Thing #2 - To be honest, the story is not bad.  In fact, it’s quite good but for some reason it’s not holding my interest.  If your a big Swamp Thing fan this will probably be for you.  I’m probably going to drop it for now though.

Man-Bat #3 - The plot thickens as Man-Bat goes from the frying pan into the fire.  I’m not sure if I’m really rooting for Langstrom or not.  He’s kind of a jerk.

Batman #107 - plot is moving kind of slowly.  I’m worried this will get boring as they drag it out for months.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 08:55:09 PM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Strange Adventures #12
Last Flight Out #2

Marvel Unlimited
Black Cat Annual #1
Dare Devil #31
Cable #11
X-Force #21
X-Men #1

DC Universe Infinite
Inferior Five #1
Inferior Five #2
Inferior Five #3
Inferior Five #4
Inferior Five #5
Inferior Five #6

Crime Syndicate #2
Titans United #2
Swamp Thing #2
Man-Bat #3
Batman #107

Black Cat Annual #1 - Good one and done story.  Entertaining and fun.

Dare Devil #31 - Loving the Electra as Dare Devil parts of this book.  Don’t really care for the Dare Devil in prison parts.  But overall this is still a must read for me.

Cable #11 - Happy to see the old man back.  And prepping for a fight with Stryfe no doubt!  Looking forward to the big finale next issue!

X-Force #21 - A variation of the Man-Thing makes this title more interesting.  Getting a bit science-y but I really like how this team works together.  This arc has promise.

X-Men #1 - At first I thought this was a typical first issue with a quick sunshine type battle to introduce the team.  But then it gets a little dark.  I’m curious as to how this is going to develop.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 03:29:39 AM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Strange Adventures #12
Last Flight Out #2

Marvel Unlimited
Black Cat Annual #1
Dare Devil #31
Cable #11
X-Force #21
X-Men #1

DC Universe Infinite
Inferior Five #1
Inferior Five #2
Inferior Five #3
Inferior Five #4
Inferior Five #5
Inferior Five #6

Crime Syndicate #2
Titans United #2
Swamp Thing #2
Man-Bat #3
Batman #107

Strange Adventures #12 - Well it’s finally done. The long journey complete.  And as I reflect and think about it I come to a heart wrenching realization.  I hated this.  It’s terrible and a complete waste of time and money.  Don’t waste yours.

Last Flight Out #2 - Man, this can not end well for our characters.  Good tension and drama.  I suspect tempers are about to over boil.

The Unbelievable Unteens #3 - a sad tale as the origins of what happened to the unteens is revealed!  I’m digging this story and these characters.  Tragedy seems to follow them where-ever they go.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 11:53:32 AM »

Okay, I've actually loved what Tynion has done with Batman!!

DETECTIVE  1018-1019; I know I was coming up on Joker War soon, so I had to break off of Batman and come back to 'Tec, and it feels like a let down. But a Two-face arc is coming up! I always love a Two-Face arc

Joker War wasn't that bad. I enjoyed it, but wished it was so all encompassing (like Fear State is now). Post-Joker War is great and I love the introduction of Ghost-Maker.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS